PDA

View Full Version : Bugs in Georgia in April

Theosus
03-15-2013, 12:17
Im going to be spending three nights from Springer to Neel Gap The weekend of April 1. Are the biting bugs bad in Georgia yet? I have two hammocks, my Hennessy with a bug net, and my ENO without. The eno is lighter and easier to set up (whoopie slings!), but at the expense of being my "winter hammock" i.e. no bug net.

How do you guys think I would fare using no bug net, those three days? Are the bugs out yet? I live in South Carolina, at a lower elevation. I have seen a few bees around, and some gnats, but so far no mosquitos.

Almost There
03-15-2013, 12:25
Up at the higher elevations shouldn't be an issue first week of April. Never was when I used to hike that stretch on a regular basis.

daddytwosticks
03-15-2013, 15:50
Hiked that stretch in April 2010 (and doing it again second week of this April). I'm bringing my Wal-Mart head net. The gnats were out in '10 and very annoying during the warmth of the day. They disappeared once it cooled down. If it's the least bit breezy, they shouldn't be a problem. I'm also bringing sunscreen. No leaves on trees = sunburn! :)

Train Wreck
03-15-2013, 16:48
No mosquitoes. Sunburn in April is a real possibility as stated above. I know :(

brian039
03-15-2013, 17:08
Just gnats that time of year and they'll be gone at night.

Tinker
03-15-2013, 19:10
I was introduced to what one hiking book author labeled "Toe-see-ums" while hanging during lunch at the Blue Mountain Shelter in Ga. in 2006. If it's warm for more than two days in a row, something will be out there to dine on your flesh. :eek:

Theosus
03-15-2013, 21:44
I was introduced to what one hiking book author labeled "Toe-see-ums" while hanging during lunch at the Blue Mountain Shelter in Ga. in 2006. If it's warm for more than two days in a row, something will be out there to dine on your flesh. :eek:

I thought those were "no-see-ums"... at least we call them that in SC. I'll take my little deet spray just in case, but was curious if that would be enough.

Berry Belle
04-07-2013, 15:55
Toe-see-ums are the tiny bugs that go for hot, tender sweaty feet that have been cooped up in boots all day:banana

Kerosene
04-07-2013, 17:25
I've hiked 3 times in GA and southern NC in early April to mid-May. I brought bug spray for the May hikes, but I used it once around Wayah Bald for the biting gnats and chiggers. You shouldn't need to bring in in early April