PDA

View Full Version : WWWW wide backpacking boots -- the Holy Grail??

Wendigo
03-15-2013, 19:44
For a few years I have been looking for a manufacturer who can deliver a size 12 WWWW boot. Is there any fellow hiker who has discovered a company who makes one? I'm starting to feel like a Grail knight who's going to find...absolutely...nothing. :confused:

Tinker
03-15-2013, 20:12
Have you tried Limmer and Sons in Intervale, NH?

I bought a pair of custom, heavy duty boots from them in the early 1990s and I think they're still making them at their shop in NH.

4Bears
03-15-2013, 20:37
Check out New Balance their Dunham brand is for boots, the NB also has trail shoes. I have a 11.5 EEE feet with high instep and have had great fitting shoes from them. They make up to 5E widths.

Turtle'13
03-15-2013, 21:26
I've also had good luck with New Balance. Currently wearing the 977 boot and broke in a pair of 978's (they discontinued the 977) for replacement during my thruhike this year. They're called "Country Walkers" and seem sturdy yet fairly light. You can get them from wideshoes.com (Hitchcock.)

Maven
03-15-2013, 21:57
I'm the proud owner of a pair of 14 EEEE feet. I purchased a pair of NB 978's. 14EEEE. Still needed a little room, so purchased a wooded shoes stretcher. Got them wet, put the stretcher in, and let then sit over night and they fit like a glove in the AM. Picked up a set of Merrell Moab 14W's. These puppies fit perfect right out of the box. You just have to get out there and try everything on and i'm sure there's a set of boots that will make your dogs happy!!

ZenRabbit
03-16-2013, 07:51
Ditto on the Merrell Moab. They're a great boot for me with a 12EEE high instep foot.

I'm going to look into that Dunham 978.

DeerPath
03-16-2013, 10:22
For a few years I have been looking for a manufacturer who can deliver a size 12 WWWW boot. Is there any fellow hiker who has discovered a company who makes one? I'm starting to feel like a Grail knight who's going to find...absolutely...nothing. :confused:

I have the Dunham Cloud in 10.5 EEEE. Great Fit.

http://www.healthyfeetstore.com/dunham-cloud-mens-boot.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=dunham-cloud-mens-boot&Color=Grey%20Leather(MCR6630G)&Size/Width=10.5%204E%20(X-Wide)&gclid=COKvor23gbYCFQk4nAodshEA4g

prain4u
03-16-2013, 11:06
I hike in New Balance Trail Runners (various styles)--size 10.5 EEEE.

I contacted Merrell Shoes back in January 2013--as I was hearing conflicting stories regarding whether (or not) Merrell makes hiking footwear in extra wide widths (such as 4E). This was their reply:

Thank you for the email and your interest in Merrell! Throughout our line, we make every model in a regular width and a few select styles in a wide. Our wide width styles are generally equivalent to a 2E. In some cases, individuals who have feet wider than a 2E have found that some of our wide width styles work for them. I have included a link to our website showing all of the current styles we manufacture in a wide width. I hope this information helps and if you have any other questions, please feel free to let us know.

Wide Width Styles:

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/Collect...red-WideWidths (http://www.merrell.com/US/en/Collections-Featured-WideWidths)

Have a great day!

Todd Miller
Merrell Consumer Relations
T 1.800.288.3124 F 1.888.306.0936
http://www.merrell.com

baddog
03-16-2013, 16:36
Shoebuy.com sells Propet which has 3E and 5E models.

QiWiz
03-18-2013, 10:19

I also wear 4E footwear. Once I started to hike in trail runners, I found that New Balance 4E choices worked well for me. My only complaint is that when I find a model I really like, they no longer are selling it when I want to replace them in a year or two. Solution: now I buy an extra pair or two when I like a model, so I get at least a few years out of a model that works for me.

peakbagger
03-18-2013, 11:14
I have used New Balance size 13 4E for years for trail runners. NB owns Dunham and use the same lasts but they do not market Dunhams as well. Just because they sell size 13 4Es doent mean they make a lot of them and odd size like this sell out quickly.They run small and especially if you use aftermarket inserts go one size larger.

Wideshoes.com has hiking shoes and boots on occasion but its hit or miss.

Limmer will build you a boot and they did a custom pair for me 15 years ago, they fit but they are major overkill for much of the AT and they weigh a lot. Mine took 18 months to get made and I have heard they are over $500 per pair these days.

prain4u
03-18-2013, 14:50
I also wear 4E footwear. Once I started to hike in trail runners, I found that New Balance 4E choices worked well for me. My only complaint is that when I find a model I really like, they no longer are selling it when I want to replace them in a year or two. Solution: now I buy an extra pair or two when I like a model, so I get at least a few years out of a model that works for me.

+1 on this........

Deacon
03-19-2013, 06:05
I too have 4W feet, and have gone through many trail runners from different companies at great expense.

I recently tried New Balance's new trail runner model MT1110, $110, and am extremely happy with them. Very stable. Suggest using Zappos, as they have free shipping both ways.