PDA

View Full Version : "2000 Miles to Maine"

lobster
06-22-2005, 13:51
Does the camera shakiness detract from the film? Somebody commented on that at amazon.com.

rgarling
06-22-2005, 16:09
It is not anything that bothered me (or anyone else that watched it with me -- at least, they did not comment on it).

Mausalot
06-22-2005, 19:39
Yeah, I was surprised by that comment on Amazon because of the thousands who have watched 2000 Miles to Maine, no one else has commented negatively on the camerawork (though some said they would like more 'beauty shots.') Check out feedback for the movie by clicking here (http://homepage.newschool.edu/%7Eat2k/feedme.htm)

The film will next screen at The Biennial Meeting (http://www.southernhighlands2005.org/index.html)of the ATC in Tennessee so you can check it out for yourself :jump Probably Tuesday July 5th, but I need to double check and will post more info soon.

Doug :dance (Director/Cameraman, 2000 Miles to Maine)

PS If you like it, the ATC will be on hand with copies for sale.

Bob Baker
06-22-2005, 21:43
In addition to 2000 miles to Maine I really enjoyed Trek. I definatly would not go with Appalacian Impressions, didnt like the premise or way it was done.

Frosty
06-22-2005, 22:27
In addition to 2000 miles to Maine I really enjoyed Trek. I definatly would not go with Appalacian Impressions, didnt like the premise or way it was done.I own all the AT DVDs except for Walking with Freedom which I saw some of at Trail Days but didn't care for. (Maybe it was just the parts I saw.)

But Appalachian Impressions was the one I enjoyed the most, closely followed by Trek.

The only part of Appalachiam Impressions I didn't like was the very opening scene, where the narration is amateur. But a professional narrator quickly takes over and the film was great from there on.

What do you mean you didn't like the premise?

Lion King
06-22-2005, 23:36
I own all the AT DVDs except for Walking with Freedom which I saw some of at Trail Days but didn't care for. (Maybe it was just the parts I saw.)

But Appalachian Impressions was the one I enjoyed the most, closely followed by Trek.

The only part of Appalachiam Impressions I didn't like was the very opening scene, where the narration is amateur. But a professional narrator quickly takes over and the film was great from there on.

What do you mean you didn't like the premise?
Kind of you to say.

LK

trippclark
06-23-2005, 10:28
I own them all and enjoy them all. It is hard to pick a favorite. All of them are terrific, yet none are perfect. There are elements that I would change or leave out, or have more of, in all of them. However, I think that could be said about any documentary that you view about any topic that is very close to you.

With all of them, watching them provides a little bit of escapism and a "return to the trail" when I cannot actually get out there.

Tripp

Darwin again
03-19-2009, 14:35
I own all the AT DVDs except for Walking with Freedom ...

Still available at only $2,400.00 on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Freedom-Michael-Thomas-Daniel/dp/B000A5N4GW

I wonder if Lion Kings knows about that craziness?

attroll
03-19-2009, 14:41
Wow, now that is expensive. I have one of Lion Kings first cuts do you think I can get that much for it?

Jeff
03-19-2009, 15:41
All of those mentioned are worth seeing. Great way to spend time on the treadmill keeping in hiking shape thru the winter.

2000 Miles to Maine has way too much time showing drug use on the trail. Hey, it is pretty accurate, but not the kind of movie I want to show a group of Scouts.

Walking with Freedom.....great soundtrack!!!!!!!!!!

DapperD
03-19-2009, 18:03
I don't think this was a badly done documentary, actually I think it was enjoyable, not poorly filmed at all. However my peeve with this film and other's is not being able to know if hiker's interviewed and featured in the films successfully complete their journeys. Maybe this is too hard to achieve, but one would think the filmaker's could get their name and number and find out later on down the line.

celt
03-19-2009, 19:21
You'd think for $2400 the $2.98 for shipping would be included!

Jaybird62
03-19-2009, 19:23
You'd think for $2400 the $2.98 for shipping would be included!

Are you cereal?!!! 2,400 bucks......now that's out of control:-?:eek::D

Panzer1
03-19-2009, 19:31
I'm just guessing that $2400 must be a misprint??

Panzer

Jim Adams
03-20-2009, 00:21
I don't think this was a badly done documentary, actually I think it was enjoyable, not poorly filmed at all. However my peeve with this film and other's is not being able to know if hiker's interviewed and featured in the films successfully complete their journeys. Maybe this is too hard to achieve, but one would think the filmaker's could get their name and number and find out later on down the line.

I also have all of them and feel that 2000 MILES TO MAINE is the worst of the bunch. It jumps around too much.
I hiked in 2002 also when the film was made. Malice in Wonderland was arrested at the Fontana Hilton for selling marijuana. His brother hiked on to Gattlinburg. Malice was released from prison at Robbinsville and entered the Smokies where he had a bonfire at the 1st campsites that had 20' high flames. The next night he stayed in Spence Field Shelter and fed goldfish crackers to a bear thru the fencing. The next night a Ranger came thru a bad thunder storm in the dark looking for Malice as the Rangers had already gotten complaints. Seems that he beat the Rangers out of the park and ended up in Gattlinburg with his brother. Neither returned to the trail or finished.

geek

Tin Man
03-20-2009, 00:40
All of those mentioned are worth seeing. Great way to spend time on the treadmill keeping in hiking shape thru the winter.

2000 Miles to Maine has way too much time showing drug use on the trail. Hey, it is pretty accurate, but not the kind of movie I want to show a group of Scouts.

Walking with Freedom.....great soundtrack!!!!!!!!!!

what at film do you think is best for scouts?

Jim Adams
03-20-2009, 01:11
Appalachian Impessions is good info but will probably bore the Scouts with it's length.
Trek is OK.
Walking with Freedom is good.
The old Backpacker magazine show of the AT on Trailside was good if you can find it.

geek

Tin Man
03-20-2009, 01:17
i showed my slides from the whites, probably better than some long flicks

DapperD
03-20-2009, 01:30
I also have all of them and feel that 2000 MILES TO MAINE is the worst of the bunch. It jumps around too much.
I hiked in 2002 also when the film was made. Malice in Wonderland was arrested at the Fontana Hilton for selling marijuana. His brother hiked on to Gattlinburg. Malice was released from prison at Robbinsville and entered the Smokies where he had a bonfire at the 1st campsites that had 20' high flames. The next night he stayed in Spence Field Shelter and fed goldfish crackers to a bear thru the fencing. The next night a Ranger came thru a bad thunder storm in the dark looking for Malice as the Rangers had already gotten complaints. Seems that he beat the Rangers out of the park and ended up in Gattlinburg with his brother. Neither returned to the trail or finished.

geekIt's funny because although they seemed to really enjoy their partying, the scenes where they were dutifully studying their topo maps and planning their days itinerary would of led one to believe they were dedicated to finishing, but if I remember correctly Kentucky, Malice's brother, said that they were going to do Tennesee, so maybe they were only going as far as there, as seems to be evident from your knowledge.:D

Kirby
03-20-2009, 13:00
For a younger auidence, it's simply about making the presentation compelling.

fehchet
03-20-2009, 14:48
Wow, now that is expensive. I have one of Lion Kings first cuts do you think I can get that much for it?

PM sent. :)

Jim Adams
03-21-2009, 00:53
They (the 2 brothers) were going to do the entire state of Tennessee however once they were in Gattlinburg and heard that the rangers were looking for Malice, they just got off the trail and weren't seen again.

geek

jrwiesz
03-21-2009, 01:44
They (the 2 brothers) were going to do the entire state of Tennessee however once they were in Gattlinburg and heard that the rangers were looking for Malice, they just got off the trail and weren't seen again.

geek

They went, "Up in Smoke"? :D