PDA

View Full Version : good universal compression sack for sleeping bag??

MrMiner2
03-15-2013, 23:06
And ideas?? I have a Sierra designs ridge runner 15. Thanks.

Starchild
03-15-2013, 23:28
My suggestion would be not to use a compression sack unless you really need to to save space. A compression sack would usually be more weight then the alternatives and also arguably/questionably cause the fabric to lose loft. Some may say that lose of loft is not a issue, I have a down bag which was highly compressed on backpacks that I would like such persons to spend a night in to it's rated temperature to see if they still stand by that point.

I try to allow my bag to expand as much as practical, and that varies with packed loads and is not always possible. Unlike my early days however I will not 'over-compress' it unless needed. i use a cuban fiber dry sack and when things get tight I will remove much of the air from it instead of using a compression sack. Removing the air serves a similar purpose to reduce volume though also water tight.

MrMiner2
03-15-2013, 23:56
Thanks! Uncompressed and in the bag it came in, it's just huge!

map man
03-16-2013, 00:46
When I need to compress my sleeping bag a Sea To Summit, with the e-vent on the bottom to let out air, works really well for me. What size you get depends on how bulky your sleeping bag is. My warmest bag is synthetic and pretty bulky so I got one that is somewhere in the 20 to 25 liter range if I remember right. When I compress that bag a lot it squeezes down to around 15 liters or less. Here's a link:

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/1

Looking at that page I think it must be the 20 liter that I have.

not_possible
03-16-2013, 04:26
A large Sea To Summit eVent is also what I have. It's not the lightest option, but it's nice to have when space is limited and so far has kept my bags dry.

slbirdnerd
03-16-2013, 09:07
I have a Mountain Hardwear 20 degree synthetic bag and use a Sea to Summit size Medium compression bag. I imagine If you're hiking for months on end, you'd be replacing the bag after the trip anyway so I'm not sure I would worry about crushing the loft. Just don't store your bag in a compression sack long term or it can affect the loft. I store my bag in a huge mesh sack made for carrying gym balls (from the local sporting goods store).

mister krabs
03-16-2013, 09:18
What starchild said. It's cheaper, lighter, and better for the insulation.

The Ace
03-16-2013, 13:21
For several years I have used the Granite Gear eVent Sil Compression DrySack XS 10 Liter for my Western Mountaineering down bag. It weighs 2.9 ounces. I like the way that the “brick” rides against my lower back. However, since I have a Exped Symat UL7, I have been eyeing the Synmat Pumpbag
http://www.rei.com/product/829645/exped-schnozzel-pumpbag?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-pla-_-product-_-829645&mr:referralID=7de232be-8e59-11e2-9389-001b2166c62d (http://www.rei.com/product/829645/exped-schnozzel-pumpbag?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-pla-_-product-_-829645&mr:referralID=7de232be-8e59-11e2-9389-001b2166c62d)

WalksInDark
03-16-2013, 13:28
+1 Sea To Summit for backpacking.

Just remember to put your bag back into a large cotton sack (so it can dry out) between hikes.

bubonicplay
03-18-2013, 05:17
Event cuben granite gear.74 ounces.

Chaco Taco
03-18-2013, 05:57
granite gear makes great compressions. I have one I have used for 5 years

88BlueGT
03-18-2013, 09:42
^ +1

I use a granite gear as well for my sleeping bag. I have had it now for 3-4+ years and it was USED when I got it! Holding up extremely well.

rusty bumper
03-19-2013, 09:10
The stuff sack that came with my Marmot Helium bag has worked just fine for me. It's a real tight fit so the bag gets compressed to a pretty small size. When I'm off the trail, I store the Helium in an over-sized cotton laundry bag and hang it up by the cinch cord.

burger
03-19-2013, 10:12
Your pack will pack so much better if you just stuff your sleeping bag into the bottom and then put all the rest of year gear on top and let the gear compress your sleeping bag for you. If you use a compression sack, you will have a rock-solid, odd-shaped parcel to put in your pack. This virtually guarantees you will have unused space around the compression sack in your pack. Also, it may result in a lumpy, uncomfortable shape where your pack sits against your back.

If you put your bag in the bottom of your pack (use a very large sil-nylon stuff sack or even a trash bag if you're worried about water or keeping the sleeping bag clean), you can use the space in your pack more efficiently and maybe even get away with a smaller (and lighter!) pack than you've been using.