PDA

View Full Version : Blog and Youtube VLog

CyborgAT
03-16-2013, 11:34
Hey everyone, I am starting my NOBO Thru Hike March 31st and I will be posting videos on my Youtube channel regularly as well as writing blog posts on my blog. If you are interested in following along with my journey please check out the links below!

Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/DDodds1990

Blog:
http://atcharityhike2013.wordpress.com/

leaftye
03-16-2013, 11:41
I can tell you from experience that Youtube video blogs while hiking are awfully tough to do. Even in metropolitan areas it still takes forever to upload videos, and then bandwidth is still an issue unless you're one of the lucky few that got grandfathered into an unlimited data plan. Free landlines don't have the best speeds, or at least not at the coffee shops we tried at, which included Starbucks. That means a lot of time in town. Editing adds even more time. Editing and uploading uses a lot of power, so you don't get much of a charge during that time...which means even more time in town.

I do think there's a good way to do this, really the only way to do this. Store your videos on memory cards and mail them to someone that will edit and upload them for you.

CyborgAT
03-16-2013, 11:47
I can tell you from experience that Youtube video blogs while hiking are awfully tough to do. Even in metropolitan areas it still takes forever to upload videos, and then bandwidth is still an issue unless you're one of the lucky few that got grandfathered into an unlimited data plan. Free landlines don't have the best speeds, or at least not at the coffee shops we tried at, which included Starbucks. That means a lot of time in town. Editing adds even more time. Editing and uploading uses a lot of power, so you don't get much of a charge during that time...which means even more time in town.

I do think there's a good way to do this, really the only way to do this. Store your videos on memory cards and mail them to someone that will edit and upload them for you.
Check out my youtube channel, I uploaded videos fine last year with my smart phone.

leaftye
03-16-2013, 11:54
Check out my youtube channel, I uploaded videos fine last year with my smart phone.

Good, at least you got it figured out and know what you're up for. I hated it. I got to the point where I'd only use vga and limited videos to 2 minutes. I think a video or audio blog is a good way to go if uploading isn't an issue.

CyborgAT
03-16-2013, 11:59
Good, at least you got it figured out and know what you're up for. I hated it. I got to the point where I'd only use vga and limited videos to 2 minutes. I think a video or audio blog is a good way to go if uploading isn't an issue.
I have Verizon and when I hike the first 780 miles of the trail, uploading wasn't a problem. Verizon is the best on the trail :) Plus my videos are only a couple minutes long so it's no big deal. I'm planning on staying in town at least once a week so I will have plenty of time to blog and upload videos.