PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP! Info from local hikers?

Many Moons
03-16-2013, 15:53
Now this is getting exciting! Wait 2 more days until filing for thru-hiker permit! Hopefully be hitting the Smokies by the 18th of April. Starting more than 50 miles South and will go at least 50 miles north.

Question?
Hot Springs is not 50 miles north, any good ideas from the locals about best place to retract from trail after Hot Springs! Thinking about being picked up in Hot Springs, so would need a shuttle or ride from retract spot. Maybe 2-4 days past/north Hot Springs! Hike On!!!

Miller

Blissful
03-16-2013, 15:57
What about just hiking to Erwin?

RED-DOG
03-16-2013, 16:07
Man just hike to ERWIN, and don't forget your Bear Canister and GUN apparently you can't hike the AT without them

Many Moons
03-16-2013, 16:25
Man just hike to ERWIN, and don't forget your Bear Canister and GUN apparently you can't hike the AT without them

Is Erwin the next area to self remove? I don't need a gun or canister, so many will have guns I will yogi theirs if I need to shoot one. I like my food in the tent, so if I get hungry when I get up for the 3am pee break, food will be within reach, plan on bringing enough to share with the bears. Hike On!!!

Miller

Storm
03-16-2013, 16:29
Is Erwin the next area to self remove? I don't need a gun or canister, so many will have guns I will yogi theirs if I need to shoot one. I like my food in the tent, so if I get hungry when I get up for the 3am pee break, food will be within reach, plan on bringing enough to share with the bears. Hike On!!!

Miller

One day north of Hot Springs you hit a major route, forget which. And just past that you can extract at Hemlock Hollow. Hattie cooks some mean meals and Fred provides shuttles if you need a ride.

RED-DOG
03-16-2013, 16:36
Erwin would be the next town, but like storm said theirs other places between Hot Springs and Erwin to get off trail and of course you don't need a canister or gun but apperantly every body on the AT this year are scared too death.

Many Moons
03-16-2013, 16:40
Erwin would be the next town, but like storm said theirs other places between Hot Springs and Erwin to get off trail and of course you don't need a canister or gun but apperantly every body on the AT this year are scared too death.

I see those posts too. It was all fun last year, except for sore dirty feet. I think they will be less scared once they hike some. Not that I have done many miles. Also am reading Balt. Jacks resupply lists. Thanks for your info. Hike On!!!

Miller

Mr. Bumpy
03-16-2013, 20:34
If you slow down just a little and get an advance ticket the French Broad River Festival will set you right

http://www.frenchbroadriverfestival.com

Northern Lights
03-16-2013, 22:43

You're a butt head, it's not always about being scared. I don't like eating mouse **** so I use a bear cannister. Unless I ask you to carry it for me,(which I won't) don't worry about it.

Many Moons
03-17-2013, 13:44
You're a butt head, it's not always about being scared. I don't like eating mouse **** so I use a bear cannister. Unless I ask you to carry it for me,(which I won't) don't worry about it.

Get the goat rope! Don't let others get your goat. Red-Dog was just being funny. He was being helpful. Hike On!!!

Miller

Many Moons
03-17-2013, 14:05
If you slow down just a little and get an advance ticket the French Broad River Festival will set you right

http://www.frenchbroadriverfestival.com

Checked festival out and it looks cool . Got to be back at work, Fire Station on the 5th, so will be of area on the 2nd. 3 weeks is all I can get off. Hike On!!!

Miller