PDA

View Full Version : Too Many Clothes?

macfriend
03-16-2013, 16:22
With this list, is this too many clothes or am I missing something? I will be wearing whatever portions of it the weather is good for.

Weather Gear

Rain Pants

Marmot Rain Jacket

Down Jacket/Fleece - Patagonia Women's Nano Puff® Jacket

Base Layer

Sweatshirt/sweater of some kind

Running Tights

Tops

Short Sleeve

Long Sleeve

Bottoms

Zip Off Pants

Nike Running Shorts

Other - Underwear

Sleep Socks - 1 pair

Crocs

UnderwearX2

Sports BraX2

Other - Accessories

Ball Cap

Buff

Gloves

Winter Hat

RED-DOG
03-16-2013, 16:31
Your list looks good, but instead of a Sweatshirt/ sweater i would use a lightweight fleece,( and also you better make room for that BEAR CANISTER and GUN and what about that BEAR spray your not forgetting that are you), but yeah your list looks pretty good. but your only taking 1 pair of underwear and sports bra i would take an extra set of those.

Slo-go'en
03-16-2013, 17:24
You don't say when your leaving, so we'll assume sometime relatively soon and for a thru-hike.

The nano puff jacket is probably sufficent for your warm layer. Sweatshirts are typically cotton and should be avoided. I haven't had much luck with sweaters.

The X2 probably means two of for the bra and underware

My clothes bag typically contains:

2 - T-shirts, wicking, one light, one medium weight. One is used for hiking, the other for camp/sleeping
1 - light weight long sleeve thermal top
1 - long sleeve shirt (I'm going with a Dickie work shirt this year)

1- light weight thermal long johns (your running tights are equivilent)
1- Zip off pants
1- nylon shorts (mostly for laundry day and the occasional swiming pool)

Outer layers are rain jacket and mid weight fleece or wool shirt.

And of course hat, light gloves, spare socks and underware.

cafayzieg
04-01-2013, 03:45
With this list, is this too many clothes or am I missing something? I will be wearing whatever portions of it the weather is good for.

Weather Gear

Rain Pants

Marmot Rain Jacket

Down Jacket/Fleece - Patagonia Women's Nano Puff® Jacket

Base Layer

Sweatshirt/sweater of some kind

Running Tights

Tops

Short Sleeve

Long Sleeve

Bottoms

Zip Off Pants

Nike Running Shorts

Other - Underwear

Sleep Socks - 1 pair

Crocs

UnderwearX2

Sports BraX2

Other - Accessories

Ball Cap

Buff

Gloves

Winter Hat

Prefect list.

garlic08
04-01-2013, 10:59
There's a simple test. If you can't wear everything at once as part of a layering system, you have too many clothes.

More important than what you carry is how you use it. If you wear your puffy layer under a rain jacket on a climb and it wets out in the first half hour and gets useless, you might as well not bring it. Experience is more important than what you carry. (On the AT, I watched van loads of hikers with huge packs bail out of snowstorm in the Smokies at Newfound Gap while others continued on warm, dry and smiling with a fraction of the load. The difference was experience with that kind of weather.)

Personally, I would exchange the ball cap for a wide-brimmed sun hat, and I probably wouldn't be carrying a sports bra (:-?), but otherwise it looks pretty good for three season hiking.

LonleyDilla
05-27-2013, 06:14
Your list seems to be very big but its prefect and I use to take 2 sweaters for myself.

JAK
05-27-2013, 10:31
Looks pretty close. Try wearing it all at once. Is it comfortable? Is it even coverage?

That may sound funny, but if you pick your layers so in the worst scenario for a given trip you can wear it all at once then you know you will be able to mix and match for normal conditions. Even 3 pairs of socks can be chosen in such a way that you can wear any 2 pair together and the other pair as mitts to dry them or keep your hands warm. Using your second pair of underwear as a hat is pretty hard-core, but alternatively they can be different and still nest if they are suitably different. Think about it. Less clothes you have the easier it is to keep them clean and dry. :-)

JAK
05-27-2013, 10:32
oops. what garlic08 said.