PDA

View Full Version : Introductory Section?

nerdishgrrl
06-22-2005, 15:04
I'm thinking about planning a thru hike for when I finish up college. I figure that'll be the perfect transitory time for something like that. BUT. I haven't really done a lot of hardcore backpacking. Most of my outings are a little tromp through the woods, with my itty bitty backpack mostly empty, while my dad carried the bulk of the load. I was wondering if any of you knew of a good section to do just to test out the whole idea of hiking all the way from GA to ME. I live in Virginia, if that helps, and I was wondering about a section that is challenging, but not toooooo challenging. Thanks for helping!

kyhipo
06-22-2005, 15:29
well the SNP is not a bad place to check your legs out with a pack fully loaded:dance ky

max patch
06-22-2005, 15:34
My favorite section of VA is about as far away in VA from where you live as you can get - Grayson Highlands in SW VA. So...I would suggest a hike in the Shenandoah National Park. I've only been there once - passed thru on my thru -- so I'll let someone more knowledgeable about the Park jump in with some recommendations.

jlb2012
06-22-2005, 15:59
what is there to recommend? there is only one section of the AT in SNP. As backpacking goes the AT in SNP is probably the easiest backpack in the park, just about any other multiday trip will have considerably more elevation changes plus only the AT has any shelters (called "huts" in the park) where you can enjoy the mice and raccoons as they raid your food / pack. As for a reasonable backpack that is away from the AT I would suggest wandering the trails in Hazel Country - SNP just south and east of Thornton Gap - a nice network of trails with reasonable water access. The only downside is that you probably won't meet very many people other than some dayhikers.

Peaks
06-22-2005, 16:41
One thing to consider. You can easily make loops for multiple day backpacking trips in Shenandoah National Park. Follow the side trails down into the valleys for a couple of days, and then head back to your car on the last day using the AT.

TOW
06-22-2005, 17:02
virginias your best choice then, not too challenging.....

tlbj6142
06-22-2005, 17:11
and then head back to your car on the last day using the AT.It is also fairly easy to hitch in the park as well. Even my father (who I wouldn't pick up:D) got 2 rides rather quickly.

Frosty
06-22-2005, 19:33
Another benefit to the SNP is its proximity to roads. You needn't get very far to test out your gear and legs, and if things don't work out you can bail easily.

It sounds like mostly you just want to carry a full pack anyway. You could do that on dayhikes. As someone said, loops are easy in SNP, but if you are just testing how it will feel, and out and back will work for that, also.

digger51
06-22-2005, 23:31
My favorite stretch in Va is from Pearisburg to Troutville/Daleville. Challenging but plenty of places to bail if necessary. Less than 100 miles and great scenery.

The Hog
06-23-2005, 06:27
I like Peaks suggestion to do a loop hike in SNP, using the AT as part of the loop. What I would like to add is that you include Old Rag Mountain as part of this loop. Old Rag, despite the name, is a very enjoyable mountain, with great rewards at the top. Enjoy!

nerdishgrrl
06-23-2005, 23:58
Thanks for all the help, guys! I'll probably hit the trail for a couple of nights in SNP. (Once i get some cheap gear to hit the trail with, that is...but that's a whole other topic)