PDA

View Full Version : Max Patch to Hot springs Next weekend

Waterbuffalo
03-16-2013, 22:27
Going to do 2 nights and do this section next weekend Thurdsday through Sat.
Any must see campsites or spots anyone can reccomend?
I assume water is good since we have been wet here in GA

WB

Emerson Bigills
03-16-2013, 22:36
Hiked from Davenport Gap to HS in January of 2012. From MP to HS I recall lots of water. The last 10 miles or so, I actually carried no water with me as there were streams and springs everywhere. Great hike. Did 23 miles on the last day to get into HS before the rain. Was a good feeling coming down the mountain seeing the lights of HS knowing heat and hot food were waiting.

illabelle
03-17-2013, 16:06
We just this morning completed Hot Springs to Davenport SOBO. We found adequate water north of Max Patch. In fact, there's water all over the place near Roaring Fork Shelter.
South of Max Patch is another story. There was water at a road crossing (1182?), and water at Groundhog Shelter, could not find water at Brown Gap.
Wind on Max Patch was FIERCE!!! And that's with good weather, so hold onto your hat!

Bronk
03-18-2013, 01:27
Going to do 2 nights and do this section next weekend Thurdsday through Sat.
Any must see campsites or spots anyone can reccomend?
I assume water is good since we have been wet here in GA

WB

I highly recommend star gazing at max patch...even if you just arrive there at nite and camp nearby and start your hike in the morning.

T-Rx
03-18-2013, 11:02
I highly recommend star gazing at max patch...even if you just arrive there at nite and camp nearby and start your hike in the morning.

+1 on this suggestion. Max Patch is one of my favorite spots on the AT.