PDA

View Full Version : Best time to do the JMT?

tucker0104
03-17-2013, 01:17
I am wanting to do the JMT in 2014 and am wondering when the best time to do it is. I cannot get off of work in August or September and might not be able to get all of July off either. Would a mid-June/early-July trip still be good? What would be different than if I waited until July or August?

Cookerhiker
03-17-2013, 06:12
The big issue for you is the winter's snowpack. If it's like 2 years ago (winter of 2010-11), a June start would be very difficult. Snow levels were still very deep. I was day-hiking in early July and met some JMT thrus who had fallen through snowbanks into a creek.

Dogwood
03-17-2013, 11:21
What you are basically saying is that you've taken the relatively narrow window of typical JMT thru-hiking season, which is between about early-mid June to mid Oct, and have now narrowed it down even further.

Ok, since you don't have Sept, which is one of my preferred months to do a JMT thru, and you would probably be squeezing under the wire to do a JMT thru in Oct although that's my second preferred time do a JMT thru, IF weather doesn't turn nasty too early. Doing it comfortably within the first three wks of Oct depends on things like how fast you hike, which direction you choose to hike, if you are willing to hike in colder conditions with the greater possability of some snow in Oct, how soon winter/hard fall conditions start arriving to the Sierras, etc though. So, lets say you really got between early June and all of July, a period of about 5-7 wks. In that case, I would assume, the most important aspect of "Best time to do a JMT thru-hike?" is snowpack levels, water levels in early June. Can't narrow it down any further than that with your mentioned considerations. That's a harder more detailed analysis than Cookie made but I'm coming to the same conclusion.

Malto
03-17-2013, 11:31
Agree completely with Dogwood. Pay careful attention to the weather in October. Absolutely a wonderful time to hike the Sierra but it is likely the time of highest rescues due to severe storms. Make sure to monitor the weather and be prepared to adjust accordingly.

As far as a June hike. Unless you are completely comfortable hiking in snow and doing stream crossings I would avoid June unless it is an extremely low snow year like 2012. You might say "but the PCT hiker come through then so why can't I?" They have 700 miles to get in shape and most already cut their teeth on the snow in SoCal. Hiking the JMT is a whole different experience in June vs. say August. Many would not find it enjoyable.... Unless your into type 2 fun.

tucker0104
03-17-2013, 22:30
I have done quite a bit of winter hiking so that wouldn't be that big of a deal. I was just hoping to do it next year but might have to wait one more year. Thanks for the advice.

Dogwood
03-18-2013, 00:55
Winter hiking at 10k + ft ? Winter hiking in remote areas? Winter hiking where it can be difficult to get to assitance? Winter hiking above treeline for long durations?

i_Hike
03-18-2013, 03:24
Tucker, I'll be hiking JMT in June this year (May 30th start to be exact). Will have updated journal so people will have something real to compare with in terms of weather. Just tell the Weather not to snow a lot like I did and you'll be fine.

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=14886

BrianLe
03-18-2013, 13:50
PCT thru-hikers typically hike it in June. How early you can reasonably "get into the Sierras" varies by year. I got started there (from south of Whitney area) on June 7th my year and did fine; quite a lot of snow (and snow melt) and some high creek crossings, so it is more difficult, and slower going, but if you have snow experience and are willing to deal with climbing up a lot of snow for the passes, it's quite an experience. I suspect that this year the (PCT) thru-hikers won't any of them bother bringing ice axes from what I've been reading elsewhere --- if that holds up, then reading i_Hike's trail journal won't give you a normal year scenario (though who knows if "normal" in future will be the same as "normal" in the past).

I think my year was reasonably normal, or perhaps a little below normal for snow. Here's my 2008 journal starting June 7th: http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=8f1e76101b3b07e67c76909ccc4480 b1&entry_id=3374
(note that I didn't hit the JMT proper until late in the day on June 10th)

tucker0104
03-18-2013, 19:58
Winter hiking at 10k + ft ? Winter hiking in remote areas? Winter hiking where it can be difficult to get to assitance? Winter hiking above treeline for long durations?

Yes to all.

Malto
03-18-2013, 20:53
Yes to all.

Then go in May, you will have the trail to yourself.
May trip over Junction Pass (1/2 mile east of Forester Pass)

Malto
03-18-2013, 21:05
Couple of May 22nd 2010 JMT pictures. 2010 was a heavy snow year, though not as severe as 2011. In 2012 there was likely little snow in this area in late May.

Frozen Rae Lakes (you could still walk across them)

Rae Lakes ( this was serious postholing without snowshoes)

South Side of Glen Pass (actually fairly straight-forward)

Malto
03-18-2013, 21:22
How about a few 2011 pictures taken in mid June.

The infamous snow chute on the south side of Forester. You will see a slide about a third of the way over. A step gave way and off I went. I had to self arrest and chop steps off the chute. Serious pucker factor.

Looking north off Forester

This was the snow down below tree line. It would alternate between six foot ridges of snow and slop.

This was McClure Meadow. There were fish swimming up the trail. This is normally just a creek. (Evolution)

This is how it normally looks. This was taken August 2010

Finally a snow free area in Lyell Canyon. This is taken from Donahue Pass looking north.

Early season is a time of absolute beauty. If you are prepared it can be a thing of wonder. Enjoy.

tucker0104
03-22-2013, 14:12
Maybe not that much snow. Haven't had to use snowshoes yet but definitely up for the challenge.

schnikel
03-22-2013, 21:56
Malto, those pics are awesome! Thanks for sharing them. My wife and I hiked the JMT in '11 and had more snow in early Sept. that year than most would have thought.
Schnikel

ChinMusic
12-10-2013, 01:50
I'm planning to do the JMT in 2014. I am wide open to a starting date. What's the sweet spot?

colorado_rob
12-10-2013, 09:12
We did late Sept/early October and I cannot say enough good things about that window. ANY chance you could start in late September??? Starting in early October is pushing it a bit, though if you go from South to North (higher to lower) that might help a bit, meaning if bad weather starts rolling in around mid October, at least you'll be at lower elevations. DON'T wait until 2015, find a way to get to this, the most beautiful trail in the USA ASAP...

Coffee
12-10-2013, 09:19
I started August 26 this year (southbound) but I will probably start right after Labor Day when I hike the JMT again in the future. I think that Yosemite would be much less crowded after Labor Day. I might also divert from the JMT in Yosemite and instead go via Merced Lake and Vogelsang Pass next time to avoid the Tuolumne crowds.

ChinMusic
12-10-2013, 10:02
I've hiked out there a couple times and enjoyed Tuolumne. I've done Clouds Rest twice as an alternate route. I would somehow take in Lake Edisa as a side trip this time too. So far I've seen Reds to Happy Isle.

I'd want to hike it SOBO to help with altitude sickness. Altitude hit me hard my first time, not so bad my second.

Coffee
12-10-2013, 11:14
I had planned the side trip to Ediza as well but ended up not doing it since it was Labor Day weekend and there were lots of hikers out for the weekend. Ediza has somewhat limited camping opportunities due to restrictions in place and I thought it would be crowded. I visited Ediza a number of years ago as a day hike from Agnew Meadow and even after completing the JMT I still consider Ediza one of the nicest spots in the Sierra Nevada.

ChinMusic
12-10-2013, 11:26
I kinda know the Ediza area from a previous visit. I agree, simply beautiful and worth the side trip again. I might try a further side trip up to Iceberg too.

MuddyWaters
12-11-2013, 20:59
Normally they say the sweet spot is Aug-Sep.

So far the snowpack is running significantly low, like 20-40% of avg. Lot can change between now and April though, but some sources are predicting a dry winter. 2014 could be closer to 2013, than 2011. Time will tell.

ChinMusic
12-11-2013, 21:08
For a late August start the snow winter snowpack doesn't mean a thing, does it? I know if does for a July trip. I had like 15' under me in some places a couple summers ago.

Sly
12-11-2013, 21:42
I'm planning to do the JMT in 2014. I am wide open to a starting date. What's the sweet spot?

IMO, September is the best month. No lingering snow, no bugs, most of the crowds are gone and the weather is ideal. Plus Vermillion Valley Resort and Muir Trail Ranch are still open

MuddyWaters
12-11-2013, 23:05
For a late August start the snow winter snowpack doesn't mean a thing, does it? I know if does for a July trip. I had like 15' under me in some places a couple summers ago.

Not for August, but the earlier the snow is gone, the earlier the creeks are low, and the bugs are too. From what I saw in trail journals, etc, this yr, July looked like August basically. A wider sweet spot.

Coffee
01-20-2014, 08:44
I have a short window of opportunity in early June for another JMT thru (hiked late August/early Sept last year) and have a June 1 permit for Happy Isles. This is way too early in most years but the snow situation is so poor right now that I figured it would be worth $10 to get a permit and at least have the option. I need to finish up by June 15. Not getting my hopes up yet but it seems to me that the trail could be fine in early June, reaching the high southern passes the second week. I expect to make a go/no-go call around May 1, and no firm travel plans until then.

CA needs the snow more than I need the hike but if there's no or little snow I figure why not.

ndwoods
01-23-2014, 00:55
The way the weather is looking so far July would be fine....

wornoutboots
02-07-2014, 15:08
I might also divert from the JMT in Yosemite and instead go via Merced Lake and Vogelsang Pass next time to avoid the Tuolumne crowds.

How are the views on this section verses the Cathedral Lakes area?

wornoutboots
02-07-2014, 15:16
Last year I left August 16th & there wasn't any snow near the trail but you cld see it high up in the snow fields, amazing!! The beautiful waterfalls they leave as they continue to melt are crazy awesome!!. It would be interesting to see how the 2012/13 snowfall compares to the 2013/14 snowfall prior to heading how, just for the fun of researching.

Coffee
02-07-2014, 15:23
How are the views on this section verses the Cathedral Lakes area?

It has been over 20 years since I visited Merced Lake and Vogelsang but I have great memories of Vogelsang in particular as well as the trail leading up to Vogelsang Pass. Don't get me wrong - Cathedral Lakes area is great but it is definitely more crowded both with JMT hikers and day hikers.

If I take this alternate it might be more for nostalgic reasons than anything else given how long ago my last visit to the area was.

wornoutboots
02-07-2014, 23:02
It has been over 20 years since I visited Merced Lake and Vogelsang but I have great memories of Vogelsang in particular as well as the trail leading up to Vogelsang Pass. Don't get me wrong - Cathedral Lakes area is great but it is definitely more crowded both with JMT hikers and day hikers.

If I take this alternate it might be more for nostalgic reasons than anything else given how long ago my last visit to the area was. Gotcha, I do agree Cathedral Lakes were the most crowded camp site I had a trip, it wasn't that bad though since everyone spreads out all around the lake, maybe 6 or so camps

rafe
03-27-2014, 21:03
Gorgeous photos, Malto.

ndwoods
04-05-2014, 02:28
Hey ChinMusic...I think August is the sweet spot. The skeeters are mostly gone, the wildflowers are still there. Creeks are still running and the days are long still and warm. But...having said that...I like July for the wildflowers and Sept for less crowds. Dee

ChinMusic
04-05-2014, 02:31
I have a permit reservation for a 8/19 start