PDA

View Full Version : Really, really good shorts - just above knee with a good map pocket

10-K
03-17-2013, 08:39
Danged if GoLite didn't quit selling my favorite shorts. The only kind they have left have a shallow zipper pocket that isn't deep enough or wide enough to hold a map and pages from a guidebook in a ziplock.

I'm looking for a replacement...that meets these specs

1. High quality, price not a concern
2. Lightweight
3. Quick drying
4. Button (not snap) closure
5. Belt loops
6. 2 hand pockets
7. Cut about 3" above the knee
8. 3rd pocket wide enough and deep enough to hold a Nat Geo map with some extra room.
9. Nice, but not required, a 4th pocket.

(pocket count above is for front pockets - would like to have back pockets as well.)

1azarus
03-17-2013, 08:57
just need a little more information...when is your birthday, what is your waist size, what is your favorite color, do you like your seams double stitched?
:)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

MuddyWaters
03-17-2013, 09:04
Golite has a knack for making something good ( by accident I believe) ,then immediately changing it to make it heavier, or discontinue it altogether.
That and 90% of their items are out of stock, 90% of the time.
I guess that happens when you order from China once per yr.

If you find something you like from them, buy a lifetime supply. It probably wont be around next yr.

10-K
03-17-2013, 09:11
just need a little more information...when is your birthday, what is your waist size, what is your favorite color, do you like your seams double stitched?
:)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Ok... now I'm curious.. Do you know a seamstress? :)

8/15
34"
Brown (favorite color for shorts...)
Double stitch - yep

The Cleaner
03-17-2013, 09:11
Check out Coiumbia's PFG shorts.They're mostly for fly fishing but I have a very lightweight pair similar to most cargo type shorts with plenty of pockets. Made of quick drying polyester.Had mine for several seasons.....

Dogwood
03-17-2013, 11:54
LOL. You and I think alike. I think I know the shorts you are talking about. They were one of my favorites too. I still have two beat up used pairs around that I still sometimes use. They are vintage so if I was willing to sell a pair to you they would fetch a hefty price tag. I'd wash them first of course.:)

New Balance has a nylon running short model similar to those I think you liked from GoLite I've gone to as a replacement. Only have one pr though and they are not for sale.:) Don't know the model name or model number. I found them at Dicks or Sports Authority. The NBs have most of what you want but only two deep front hand pockets(yeah they hold folded up 8.5 x 11 maps securely enough), no belt loops, no belt, but a drawstring closure. Personally, I like the drawstring better than a belt loop/belt/button/snap closure which makes the drawstring waist less discomforting, more versatile(in regard to changing body wt around your waist on a long hike), AND lighter weight TO ME. BTW, I store my maps in the left side pocket of my pack when hiking. My pocket knife is usually the only thing in my short pockets on a consistent basis when thru-hiking. And, since I don't want that knife lost my pockets have to be deep enough in a nylon running short so I don't have to be concerned about losing it easily. Back pockets are virtually dead wt and a useless feature for me in thru hiking shorts. I'll save shorts with back pockets for the mall. :)

Dogwood
03-17-2013, 12:01
MW, I sense some GoLite resentment. I go through that phase from time to time with GoLite. Isn't GoLite still mainly made(sewn) in Vietnam? As far as what you said this is true with several gear companies. In hindsight, I should have ordered a lifetime supply of ORIGINAL(pre 2007) Montrail HardRocks in size 13 and 14 yrs ago before WHATEVER happened.

Cookerhiker
03-17-2013, 12:22
I'd advise against North Face - my new ones ripped on the seat in less than a year. And no, I didn't butt-walk over jagged rocks; it was just from sitting.

Maybe I should have just lost weight - need to do that anyway:o

10-K
03-17-2013, 12:30
The GoLite shorts I have say "Made in China". I can't believe they quit selling these but still sell shorts with a very shallow, relatively useless, 3rd front pocket. And call them hiking shorts....

Cookerhiker
03-17-2013, 12:40
Golite has a knack for making something good ( by accident I believe) ,then immediately changing it to make it heavier, or discontinue it altogether.
I guess that happens when you order from China once per yr.

If you find something you like from them, buy a lifetime supply. It probably wont be around next yr.

My only experience with GoLite products was a pair of rainpants I bought 10 years ago - they were OK for the price and actually worked for a while.

But let's not single out GoLite, Muddy Water's assertion can be projected to many companies, not just hiking gear:

[Acme Company, Inc.] has a knack for making something good ( by accident I believe) ,then immediately changing it to make it [any of several negative adjectives], or discontinue it altogether.
I guess that happens when you order from [whatever Third World country was the manufacturing source] once per yr.

If you find something you like from them, buy a lifetime supply. It probably wont be around next yr

Mrs Baggins
03-17-2013, 13:26
REI has stopped selling/changed the design on things that I really loved to wear. No more nice loose fitting REI Tech T's in the cottony soft poly. Just those nasty fitted itchy UnderArmor type fabrics that I will not wear. No more REI zip-off, really light weight Sahara hiking pants in Petite that actually ARE petite in length, and they went to a heavier fabric. Not every woman wants a fitted stretchy shirt, and Petite means HEIGHT, as in 5'4 and under - not someone who is 6' tall and weighs 100 lbs.

Deacon
03-17-2013, 13:31
Danged if GoLite didn't quit selling my favorite shorts. The only kind they have left have a shallow zipper pocket that isn't deep enough or wide enough to hold a map and pages from a guidebook in a ziplock.

2. Lightweight
3. Quick drying
5. Belt loops
6. 2 hand pockets
8. 3rd pocket wide enough and deep enough to hold a Nat Geo map with some extra room.

(pocket count above is for front pockets - would like to have back pockets as well.)

I think the L. L. Bean Supplex shorts pretty well fits that criteria.

Mags
03-17-2013, 13:37
Not a specific brand per se, but get yourself to a rafting/kayaking store. The "guide" style shorts sold by a few different companies are made of quick drying nylon, have cargo,pockets and tend to be longer than running shorts. May not be exactly what you are looking for, but could come very close.

RCBear
03-17-2013, 13:45
I have used Columbia' s convertible PFGs for years. Primarily made for fishing excursions but I've used them for hiking for several years and swear by them. Light fast drying with godod size pockets.

SCRUB HIKER
03-17-2013, 14:35
I have used Columbia' s convertible PFGs for years. Primarily made for fishing excursions but I've used them for hiking for several years and swear by them. Light fast drying with godod size pockets.

Ditto. Picked a pair up at a thrift store a little while ago. I have no idea what year or model they are, but they're my hiking shorts now. Mine fit all your requirements except that it's drawstring closure with no button/snap, and the big zippered map pocket is in the back.

MuddyWaters
03-17-2013, 19:37
MW, I sense some GoLite resentment. I go through that phase from time to time with GoLite. Isn't GoLite still mainly made(sewn) in Vietnam? As far as what you said this is true with several gear companies. In hindsight, I should have ordered a lifetime supply of ORIGINAL(pre 2007) Montrail HardRocks in size 13 and 14 yrs ago before WHATEVER happened.

I dont hate them. I just ordered some wildwood shirts from them , now that they are FINALLY back in stock. Pretty much the lightest shirt on the market.

They just have all these items , and most are always out of stock. Many, never to return.

Everyone would love them to bring back the Reed rain pants . 4 oz. Do they?, of course not.
Drimove silk shirt, was insanely light, under 2 oz. Gone,
The original light Jam. Gone downhill ever since they started making it heavier and heavier.
etc.

grateful 2
03-17-2013, 21:50
Try the Prana Zion shorts. The newer ones have belt loops. They are comfortable and near indestructible.

moytoy
03-18-2013, 08:27
Unfortunately clothing has to do with style not function too much of the time. You will probably need to hem whatever short you buy to get the length you like. You might check out the Patagonia Men's GI 3. Depending on how tall you are they may not be too long and should easily take a 2 inch hem shortening.

10-K
03-18-2013, 08:29
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm going to go to a local outfitter that has a good clothing selection (including rafting/kayaking/fly fishing) and see what I can find.

AndrewAZ
08-14-2013, 13:59
Old thread, but I recently discovered the Kuhl Renegade shorts and was blown away. They might be a little long given your original preferences, although they make a few different lines with varying inseam lengths. I think they fit every other criteria you have. They do have an "Italian snap" closure, which is a vast improvement over a regular snap, but in the end I suppose it's still a snap closure.

Xristos
09-22-2013, 01:32
Why can't I ever find a pair of Kuhl's that fit me? They seem really cool and exactly what I'm looking for. Anyone else have that problem?

Tramp
01-22-2014, 22:00
Simple. Rail riders versa tech light shorts.

Dogwood
01-23-2014, 00:38
....Everyone would love them to bring back the Reed rain pants . 4 oz. Do they?, of course not.

The original light Jam. Gone downhill ever since they started making it heavier and heavier.

The Go Lite Tumalos w/ the 12" ankle zips at 7 oz are more durable and have a slightly more roomier fit than than the 4 oz Reed rainpants which I found athletically restrictive and flimsy. The Tumalos have a nice stretch waistband with draw cord to hold them up better than the Reeds which kept sliding down while being tight in the butt and legs/thighs for me.

10-K
01-23-2014, 10:02
I like my Tumalos very much - and you can patch rips with duct tape or McNeil's Tenacious tape. :)

Since starting this thread I took the suggestion to try Kuhl shorts and they're even better than the GoLite shorts I like so much.

msupple
01-23-2014, 11:21
Exoficio or Prana stretch shorts fit your description. They look great, are super comfy due to the stretch material and are nearly indestructible. I believe the Prana's have a simple cinch system which would eliminate the need for a belt. I have the Exoficio shorts and he Prana Zion pants and love both.

Cat in the Hat

Chubbs4U
01-23-2014, 12:56
I wear shorts year round and am always looking for a good pair. Glad this post was brought back up.

RockDoc
01-23-2014, 19:02
Another vote for Ex-Officico pants, if you don't mind looking like a millionaire on safari.

Shonryu
03-22-2014, 00:10
+1 On the PRNA zions. May as well go for the convertibles as and leave the legs when you dont need the. I like that the stretch. Ive spent a lot of money over the years on pants and shorts and hands down they are my favorite pair. I like them so much that I use them for casual wear and usually you won't catch me wearing convertibles off of the trail.

Drybones
03-22-2014, 09:51
I'm normally not a North Face fan, but the Paramount pants are the best I've worn for some of the reasons you listed, cargo pockets can hold the guide in zip lock, front pockets are deep so items dont fall out when you're laying on your back putting them on, back pocket came unstitched on the first pair so I'd have to agree with Cookerhiker about stitching issues. I like the fact the legs are large enough that they overhang the shoes to keep trash out, dry fast, material is heavier, and IMO more durable than lighter weight pants, and most important, they are comfortable. Worst clothing I've ever bought were Mt Hardware pants.

Ender
03-22-2014, 10:03

2. Lightweight
3. Quick drying
5. Belt loops
6. 2 hand pockets

EMS makes zip off pants/shorts that fit that criteria. I'd suggest going to the store though to try them on, and finding the version that you like best.

colorado_rob
03-22-2014, 10:34
Well, sounds exactly like the REI Sahara zip-offs. I know you're only looking for shorts, that's fine, just leave the bottoms at home if you don't think you'll ever need them (4 ounces total for the legs). Very light (8.5 ounces w/o the legs, extremely quick drying, 2 hand pockets, 2 "cargo" pockets below that, perfect for a map/guidebook page in one, your phone in the other, plus a zipper pocket just big enough for a couple credit cards, cash, drivers license. Plus a bonus little "doobie pouch" (I'm allowed to say that, being from Colorado).

I was worried about durability, but I used them on last year's 1000 mile section of the AT plus all summer in CO, and not any tears/worn out spots. Very comfortable with a loose, but not too loose fit.

Cheap too. I got my last pair (I now have two pair) on the REI clearance rack for $32, and they are on sale again right now for the same price:

http://www.rei.com/product/794408/rei-sahara-convertible-pants-with-no-sit-zips-mens-32-inseam

I think I'll get yet another pair. I love these pants.

10-K
03-22-2014, 14:31
I have finally surrendered to buying clothes online. I'm tall and depending on the season either thin or average and I think of every 4 clothing items I've ordered I've had to send 3 of them back. Very frustrating.

bigcranky
03-22-2014, 18:37
I have finally surrendered to buying clothes online. I'm tall and depending on the season either thin or average and I think of every 4 clothing items I've ordered I've had to send 3 of them back. Very frustrating.

Yeah, I send a lot of stuff back, too (or I have to bring it back to my favorite fashion house, Le Costco, which is inconvenient.)

Incidentally, did you ever find a pair of shorts? Care to recommend something?

imscotty
03-22-2014, 21:11
One of the great things about shopping REI online is their returns policy. When I am in doubt about exactly what I want, I will order a couple items in different styles or sizes and return what I don't like or doesn't fit. There is no need for me to re-package or deal with the postoffice. I have an REI a few miles from my house and they let you return the online merchandise at the store. I often have the items returned to the store and my credit card refunded the same day the package arrives.

I know this sounds like abuse of their policy, but the folks online and also in the stores have encouraged me to shop this way. Everyone seems happy, and it allows me to get the exact item/size/color I was looking for instead of limiting myself to what they have on hand in the store.

nu2hike
03-27-2014, 11:30
LLBean makes some hiking shorts that come close to meeting your "wants" list! The Cresta Hiking short!I have the womens version which I really like!
They also offer other models you may like better.

slbirdnerd
03-27-2014, 12:14
Check out Coiumbia's PFG shorts.They're mostly for fly fishing but I have a very lightweight pair similar to most cargo type shorts with plenty of pockets. Made of quick drying polyester.Had mine for several seasons.....

+1 for Columbia PFG. (Performance Fishing Gear) I have the convertible fishing pants for 3-season hiking. Love them.

Tramp
03-27-2014, 12:31
again...Rail Riders ! verasa tech light shorts. you will love them !

RedBeerd
03-27-2014, 14:02
Walmart basketball shorts for $7 is what I like to hike in. Light and airy, big deep pockets..

Cadenza
03-28-2014, 23:20
SaltLife makes fast-dry nylon cargo shorts that fit your requirements.
I like 'em.

10-K
03-29-2014, 10:19
I bought these at REI: http://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/shorts/raptr-cargo-short/

Every bit as good as the GoLite shorts I was trying to replace. Lots of pockets, lightweight, SPF 50, good sized belt loops.

Chubbs4U
03-29-2014, 12:46
Always looking for good shorts...