PDA

View Full Version : Should cat lady cut her hair for the trail

Mulungu
03-17-2013, 09:18
20445Should leslie cut her hair really short( number 4) or leave it long. There are many good reasons for short hair on the trail : 1) no shampoo 2) no comb or brush needed 3) don't have to was your hair that often 4) easy to keep out of your face

So we are having to decide this week if leslie should take the cut or not.

The one thing we are afraid of is that they won't allow us into America if we don't look like our visa photos

What do you think

Www.1000atmiles.com

Malto
03-17-2013, 09:21
Cut, its function over fashion....... So says the guy who shaves his head to avoid combing and cleaning.

Train Wreck
03-17-2013, 09:32
Short would definitely be easier to manage. Maybe you could keep the hair long until you get here, then pop into one of the low-cost salons over here (Fantastic Sams, etc) and get it done right before you hit the trail. I can email you a list of salon franchises that are usually found in the larger cities, if you like.

BobTheBuilder
03-17-2013, 09:33
Good point about the visa photos, but you probably wouldn't have a problem. You could always get it cut after you get to the US. Plenty of walk-in hair cut franchises over here. In and out in a half hour.

JAK
03-17-2013, 09:33
Can you cut it on the trail? Maybe wait and see. The routine of hair care might be a good thing.

DeerPath
03-17-2013, 10:00
20445Should leslie cut her hair really short( number 4) or leave it long. There are many good reasons for short hair on the trail : 1) no shampoo 2) no comb or brush needed 3) don't have to was your hair that often 4) easy to keep out of your face

The one thing we are afraid of is that they won't allow us into America if we don't look like our visa photos

What do you think

Www.1000atmiles.com (http://Www.1000atmiles.com)

Short hair makes it easier to find ticks.
If your staying at Hiker Hostel they will take you to Walmart and there is a Fantastic Sams in the shopping center.

slbirdnerd
03-17-2013, 10:51
I'm going to cut mine even though I'm only doing a section this summer, for all those reasons PLUS it is easier to tick check. I would think you will be okay to travel but there should be lots of places here to get a quick haircut.

WingedMonkey
03-17-2013, 11:33
I don't understand where this belief that shorter hair helps search for tick ever got started.

brian039
03-17-2013, 12:07
I don't understand where this belief that shorter hair helps search for tick ever got started.

It sure helps with dogs. Why wouldn't it make finding ticks easier on a human's head?

WingedMonkey
03-17-2013, 12:16
It sure helps with dogs. Why wouldn't it make finding ticks easier on a human's head?

Ticks go for the skin...they only spend enough time on hair until they can find skin.
I've had long hair for more than 20 years and no ticks, maybe it slowed them down?

;)

IrishBASTARD
03-17-2013, 12:18
Would HIGHLY suggest, both of you look like you're "visa photos", as Americans all be it friendly question everyone, in cocerns of reason to come here, given one excuse they wont hesitate to send anyone back, thats the norm for all countries, as I have grown a beard and kept it, I get carded at the bar, even my office, but also with my Bank, who none of the above, had carded me in years. My id's picture as viewed, show me as having a buzz cut, and clean shaven,.

Odd Man Out
03-17-2013, 12:43
Cut it once you get here. I for one quite enjoy going to a old fashioned small town barber shop for haircut (#3 for me). The kind of place with one chair, a bunch of dead animals, guns, and fishing poles on the walls (even though I don't hunt or fish) and some old guys who are there just to talk and not get their hair cut. But maybe that's just a North American guy thing. Watch some reruns of Andy Griffith Show reruns and you will get the idea. Not sure if many of these places still exist, but I like to reminisce. Is there an old fashioned barber shop guide for the AT?

Mulungu
03-17-2013, 13:18
Sounds like SAMs at the Walmart may be a great option

slbirdnerd
03-17-2013, 13:32
I don't understand where this belief that shorter hair helps search for tick ever got started. As someone with long, very thick hair who has lived in tick country my entire life, I can attest to it. It's not a "belief," it's a fact. It's common sense, anyway, that if you have less hair it's easier to search through it. The proverbial needle in a haystack, if you will. If you could guarantee that any tick in my hair would be located at my scalp, sure, it might not be all that difficult, but there could be a tick anywhere in my hair from tip to root.

k2basecamp
03-17-2013, 18:56
Not sure but I'd like whatever she's drinking !

fiddlehead
03-17-2013, 21:05
Does she like "dreads" ?
If so, leave it long.
If not, cut it.

Train Wreck
03-17-2013, 22:25

Maybe they should each have a couple of them and break out the scissors themselves and see what they end up with :D

atmilkman
03-17-2013, 22:31
Is it a tequilla sunrise?

Train Wreck
03-17-2013, 22:52
Is it a tequilla sunrise?

Now, wouldn't that be some super awesome major triple-squee trail magic to come across - oops, getting off target, well, she started it :D

HikerMom58
03-17-2013, 22:55
Now, wouldn't that be some super awesome major triple-squee trail magic to come across - oops, getting off target, well, she started it :D

As long as she doesn't bring it to the Cafe....it's all good!

Train Wreck
03-17-2013, 23:01
As long as she doesn't bring it to the Cafe....it's all good!

Why would it be a problem? We're all over 21!

SunnyWalker
03-17-2013, 23:32
Leslie: cutting it won't change how you feel when you feel dirt and sweaty and want to wash "your hair". What I mean is you'll still have those thoughts and feelings if your hair is short or long. NOW if you were one that was curling it and styling it all the time eliminating THAT part of course would make it easier on the trail. Lots of people on the trail have long hair. Long hair! Your hair is pretty, hate to see you loose it. You can always start out with it and then have it cut if you feel like it. As far as checking for ticks?? Bring along a comb that is used to find hits in the hair. It would certainly bring out any ticks!! Happy Paddy's Day God bless all here!

Bronk
03-18-2013, 00:33
I wouldn't worry about it. If she gets on the trail and decides it would be easier she can always cut it later. Lots of people hike with long hair.

SunnyWalker
03-18-2013, 13:39
On that comb I misspelled what it would be for. For "Nits" not "Hits" and it would probably comb out ticks as they are much larger.

Old Hiker
03-18-2013, 15:11
I wouldn't worry too much about visa type photos. Half my IDs have me clean-shaven with close, military hair and the other half have me with a beard and mustache, plus longish hair. I also have one ID with curly hair down to my collar and a full wooly-bag beard. I also wear glasses now.

If she cuts it and doesn't like it, it will usually grow back. Mine has so far.

Mulungu
03-18-2013, 15:50
It seems that cat lady has made the decision to cut it here in South Africa before we leave. Will post pictures ( without drinks this time) of the new short haired cat lady. Lets hope that customs will let us in.

Train Wreck
03-18-2013, 16:45
It seems that cat lady has made the decision to cut it here in South Africa before we leave. Will post pictures ( without drinks this time) of the new short haired cat lady. Lets hope that customs will let us in.

What was that drink anyway? It looked absolutely delicious!

Hoofit
03-18-2013, 18:44

What do you think

Www.1000atmiles.com (http://Www.1000atmiles.com)

why stop with your head??
Shave it off everywhere, head,pits and elsewhere if you really want to stay chill and less stinky/sweaty...

Mulungu
03-19-2013, 12:45
What was that drink anyway? It looked absolutely delicious!

I can't remember. It was my birthday and we had gone out for lunch with our children at a place on the beach. Some sort of non acholic cocktail. Looks good though