PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with SPOT Personal Tracker?

Panini
03-17-2013, 16:22
I'm planning a long-distance hike (4 months) starting early April at Springer. For peace of mind for my family back home I got a SPOT Personal Tracker. But after going through the manuals and on-line videos I'm having second thoughts about using it. It just seems too complicated for what I really want - to send an "I'm ok and this is where I am right now" message maybe once per day to folks back home. This isn't for my safety (truthfully, I'd rather carry nothing), but for my elderly parents, mostly. And I'm bringing a cell phone anyway (not a smart phone), whether I take the SPOT or not. Cost is also a factor in this. The device was about $90, but then it's an extra $99/yr to activate it, plus another $50 for the Track My Progress feature (plus other add-ons like rescue insurance up to $100K, etc.). All the services add up to way more than the device cost in the first place. Unpalatable.

So does anyone have experience with the SPOT? Do you like it, recommend it, would rather leave it, etc....? It just seems that the AT is so well-traversed that if there really was a problem there would likely be other hikers along within a day.

Here's their website:
http://international.findmespot.com/

Thanks for any and all input!

dbright
03-17-2013, 16:26
I also have this for my wife. It has worked very well when I have used it on 2 training hikes. You do not need to have the tracking to send an I'm ok message.

wornoutboots
03-17-2013, 16:51
I use one on every hike, it's very easy to use & I love it. Mine doesn't track me, I send a signal every night when I'm at camp. Great Peace of mind for my wife & family.

Cmc222
03-17-2013, 17:08
I just got mine so easy to use just push the button. I did get the tracker option so my kids can follow me well worth the price for me. I will be section hiking the AT starting SNP in april. Have been using it on training hike's work great. well worth the peace of mind.

SunnyWalker
03-17-2013, 17:28
I received one for Christmas this year. Will take it on thru hike of CDT coming up next month. On features, purchase what you wish. However the insurance part is a deal.

LandSailor
03-17-2013, 18:48
Also worth having a look at the Delorme Inreach will allows you to send your own short sms/emails. It also uses the Iridium sat network which has better coverage I think.

k2basecamp
03-17-2013, 19:17
Does it work in areas where you cant get a cellphone signal? It relies soley on GPS I assume?

Capt Nat
03-17-2013, 19:22
I don't think it's that much an advantage for you. In my case, my wife wanted the peace of mind in getting my OK's when there is no cell reception. The only way it will benefit you personally is if you need to use the "come get me emergency" red button. For us elderly folks, that could become important...

10-K
03-17-2013, 19:26
Works great - in 2 years I've never failed to send my wife an "I'm Ok" message.

But, be sure to tell her not to freak if she doesn't get a message every night. My wife understands that she doesn't need to start worrying unless she hasn't heard from me in some form for 72 hours.

LandSailor
03-17-2013, 19:32
Does it work in areas where you cant get a cellphone signal? It relies soley on GPS I assume?
If your question refers to the Inreach then yes it does not require access to the phone network. Its all purely via Iridium satellite.
You use your smartphone (via bluetooth connection) to type and read the messages but all the communication goes via satellite.
Its a bit more expensive up front but being able to send custom short messages via satellite is pretty handy.
Here's an overview of various different sat messenger/tracking devices (http://hikingtech.com/satellite-messenger-comparison/).

Panini
03-17-2013, 20:41
Excellent link to Hiking Tech! Thank you.

This feedback is very helpful. It's sounding like people generally like this kind of device.

I think an additional question might be: Do you carry a SPOT (or similar device) and a cell phone?

BryceB
03-17-2013, 22:36
I've had a SPOT for a few years (5 maybe?). I mostly use it for Dual Sport Motorcycle trips in remote areas but bring it on any backcountry type activity I think I'll e out f cell range. Tracking is pretty good, but only sends the signal once every 10 minutes and sometimes missed. The OK has been 100% reliable for me... It sends that message 3 times in 15minutes each time you press it. I have only done the help button once to test it. I have never pressed the 911 button on mine, but a few years ago, we had a rider get hit by a truck (drunk driver, hit and run) in Mississippi. 911 was pressed on his, but we were also in cell range and called 911 also. The signal was received from the SPOT and the local authorities responded to the SPOT and the phone call. The rider made it. 911 will continue to send a signal every 5 minutes until it is turned off or runs out of batteries.

like others ave said, it gives piece of mind to family members more than anything... But could save your life when you need it.

I carry mine whenever I think I'll be out of cell range.

some light reading that has coments from an engineer that works with SPOT
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282391

SunnyWalker
03-17-2013, 23:39
Panini: I carry the Spot constantly. The cell phone varies to the topo. I put the cell phone many times in my bounce box because of that, -Topo, and also save weight and when I place it in the bounce box the recharge cord, etc., goes in also. Spot will keep working no matter the cell phone coverage.

MkBibble
03-18-2013, 00:36
If you don't want to buy a SPOT and pay for the service, you can rent one. Not sure how the costs would compare after 4 months of rental. I rented one on my last section, just to check it out. It worked pretty good, but one night the "OK" signal did NOT make it to my wife... We all know what that means. :-( A grumpy wife! I played with the tracking feature one day and it was pretty cool. It might burn through quite a few batteries for the length of time that you'll be out. The SPOT was able t communicate even when I had no cell service.

It's a neat idea and fun to play with, but I don't think I would buy one.

slbirdnerd
03-18-2013, 07:25
I looked into the Spot and read mixed reviews on retailer sites. Nice to see many here are having good luck with it. Still not sure it's for me though.

JAK
03-18-2013, 08:17
If your question refers to the Inreach then yes it does not require access to the phone network. Its all purely via Iridium satellite.
You use your smartphone (via bluetooth connection) to type and read the messages but all the communication goes via satellite.
Its a bit more expensive up front but being able to send custom short messages via satellite is pretty handy.
Here's an overview of various different sat messenger/tracking devices (http://hikingtech.com/satellite-messenger-comparison/).Nice overview link. Good to see this technology has matured beyond distress signal and location without any send/receive capability. Much better for rescuers and adventurers alike. Question: I see the batter capacity, but how does that translate in terms of number of days of basic non-distress updates and tracking, and number of hours or amount of messages that can be sent/received once a distress situation occurs?

As an aside, I see the avg watts and amp-hours, but at what voltage? Pet peeve of mine is battery capacity reported in amp hours when it is watt-hours that really matters. How do the operate when you are trying to conserve power? I presume there is some sort of built in sleep mode where it wakes up and sends/receives a signal hourly, or every 6 hours, or 24 hours, or whatever. How many send/receive cycles per battery charge? Is it temperature dependant? Once a distress situation occurs, how much time between send and receive and receive and send, like for exchanging medical information or plans for rendevouz or whatever? Can you carry an extra battery for the built in rechargeables?

mrcoffeect
03-18-2013, 08:55
these units are great for giving people back home peace of mind, But people back home don't have to carry it on their back everyday

rusty bumper
03-18-2013, 09:28
I carried a SPOT on my AT hike in 2011 and 2012. I only turned it on after setting up camp in the evening and then sent out my location which was delivered in an email to 10 family members and friends. They all loved seeing how I was progressing on my hike and also knowing that I was still alive! I did warn folks not to panic, however, if they didn't receive a SPOT email some days....that did happen maybe 2 or 3 times in the 5 months of hiking. My SPOT weighed 5.2 oz with the batteries, and was well worth the weight (and cost) to me.

JAK
03-18-2013, 13:31
How many days could you go without recharging, say sending 1 message per day?

k2basecamp
03-18-2013, 14:03
How many days could you go without recharging, say sending 1 message per day?

Don't think you recharge but replace the batteries Lithiums would last the longest.

Panini
03-18-2013, 21:38
It comes with 3 AAA lithium batteries. And they recommend to replace them with lithiums when the first ones expire.

Well, from the consensus here I can see that it's a keeper. Thanks for everyone's input - this was very helpful.

rusty bumper
03-19-2013, 09:03
My non-rechargeable lithium batteries lasted the full 5 months.

SunnyWalker
03-19-2013, 16:35
Whew, Rusty! You just sold me on Lithium Batts!

JAK
03-19-2013, 17:19
I like the idea of replaceable batteries, vs built in rechargeable. Easier to spare.
The other products look pretty slick though.