PDA

View Full Version : Rangeley?

karen0540
06-22-2005, 21:19
Rangeley was suggested to me by Ferryman Steve as a place to locate myself to find hikers. Does anybody have any advice or suggestions on where to stay around here? I am "googling" Rangeley, but thought this forum would be a good resource for info also. Thanks!

A-Train
06-22-2005, 21:51
I think a lot of hikers stay at a place called Gull Pond B&B. I didn't stay in Rangeley, nor did I go into town, but hitched to the grocery store at the edge of town. It is right near Rangeley Lake and is a huge vacation/tourist stop, so I imagine there are tons of motels, B and B's and the like, though not sure how they fill up in summer. From what I've heard, nice town with some good places to eat

fiddlehead
06-22-2005, 22:53
look for the cheapest digs in town. that's where you'll probably find thru-hikers. or hang out at the PO or outfitters, or at the trail crossing east of town.

Footslogger
06-22-2005, 23:23
I stayed at Gull Pond B & B on my thru in 2003. I called the owner from Andover and gave him an estimated time of arrival and the dude was sitting there at the road crossing in his truck when we arrived. Pretty darned good service. Got a hot shower, a good night sleep and was able to resupply. The owner drove us back to the trail crossing.

'Slogger

TJ aka Teej
06-23-2005, 06:59
Hi Karen,
I met the boys in Baxter Park, they seem like great kids.
Karen, there are two guidebooks for Thru-hikers that list the services in the towns that the trail passes. One is by 'Wingfoot' called the Thru-hiker's Handbook, info at his 'Trailplace' website. The other is by the ATC and ALDHA called the Thru-hikers' Companion. You can purchase it through the ATC's website at http://www.atctrailstore.org/
or, more perhaps more handy for you, can be viewed for free at the ALDHA website http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm
I encourage you to explore both websites to learn more about the Trail and the Trail community (which you now belong to)!

Blue Jay
06-24-2005, 18:38
I stayed at Gull Pond B & B on my thru in 2003. I called the owner from Andover and gave him an estimated time of arrival and the dude was sitting there at the road crossing in his truck when we arrived. Pretty darned good service. Got a hot shower, a good night sleep and was able to resupply. The owner drove us back to the trail crossing.

'Slogger

Gull Pond B & B is one of my favorite places on the trail. Right on a beautiful Lake, Bob is extremely hiker friendly, lets you use his kayak. Go on the lake at dawn and you just might have a loon come up right next to you like I did.

Blue Jay
06-24-2005, 18:40
look for the cheapest digs in town. that's where you'll probably find thru-hikers. or hang out at the PO or outfitters, or at the trail crossing east of town.

There's an outfitter there? There's a fishing store, is that what you mean?

Moxie00
06-24-2005, 21:48
About the only real outfitter anywhere near Rangely is Aardvark Outfitters in Farmington which is quite a haul down the road. However if you call Bob or Mike at Aardvark,778-3330, they will find you a ride or get product to you. They sell most gear and are a full service Mountain Hardware and Garmont dealer. They have limited packs but if you need clothing, stoves, filters etc they have an excellent inventory. Some Rangely residents were anti hiker and anti AT during the Saddleback contriversy but now the ski area has new owners and the problem of the ski trail crossing the AT have been settled hikers are welcome and treated well. I maintain a section of the trail on Saddleback and many hikers tell me Rangeky is the easiest place to get a ride on the AT. The town supermarket is well stocked but a bit expensive as it is miles from the nearest supplier. There isn't a bad meal in town, the eating places are great and reasonable. I have never stayed there so I can't advise on a hostel or motel but the Piazza Rock shelter is one of the cleanest, best built and maintained on the whole AT. It is about 7 miles from trail to town but rides are very easy to get.
:welcome to Rangely, a hiker friendly town.

Papa Bear
06-25-2005, 09:41
I also stayed at Gull Pond Lodge and highly reccomend it.

But since it is out of town and your boys have probably not crossed paths yet with many north bounders, they may not know about it (although it's featured in the Companion).

I would therefore reccomend several "listening posts" in your search network:
1) Monson: leave word at Shaws to watch for them (they may have passed there already).
2) Caratunk (2-3 days south of Monson): The Ferryman (as you know).
3) Stratton (3-4 days south of Caratunk): The White Wolf Inn is the most frequented place. It is maybe 3 days hike north of Rangeley - although not much more than an hour's drive.

Travel time estimates are just that. NOBOs would be faster by that point.

You should be able pick up word from somewhere along the line.

Papa Bear

karen0540
06-26-2005, 13:10
What is this all about?:-?

Mr. Clean
06-26-2005, 16:45
It basically was a fight between the old owners and the ATC. The ski area owners wanted to expand the ski area into and over the AT on the summit of Saddleback. I believe a compromise was achieved, and most of the AT corridor was eventually protected from development. The new owner appears to be "AT friendly" so far and is building new ski units and condos at the base of the mtn.