PDA

View Full Version : Gear List...always appreciate feL

Rock Lobster
03-17-2013, 23:58
Experienced hiker (2000+ miles) always looking for ideas and alternatives, particularly if there's a cottage industry option I may not have heard of. I've left off some smaller items that I don't care enough to replace - you may have strong opinions on the best spoon for eating Ramen, but I'm happy enough with mine, thanks :)

This kit is for a 5-week trip this summer from Katahdin to Rutland VT.

Osprey Exos 46 (really a 49L for a large)
TT Moment
Mountain Hardwear Mountain Speed
NeoAir Xlite short
Grand Trunk silk travel sheet
Jetboil Zip
Sawyer Squeeze
16oz Gatorade bottle x2
2L Platypus
Princeton Tec Fuel
Kindle 3G
FujiFilm FinePix JX310 (needs replacement!)
Merrell Moab GTX (wore these daily for 3 years, but caused serious blisters on trail. Looking for a brand that's wider in the toe box and narrows closer to the front)
Vibram FF (camp shoes and for Maine fords)
GoLite Kenai Pertex rain jacket
Columbia zip-offs (12oz - know a lighter but durable option?)
Running shorts
Ex Officio boxers
Champion (Target brand) t-shirt
Champion long-sleeve shirt
Black Diamond adjustable shock-absorbent poles

Add for the Whites:
GoLite 850 down jacket w/hood
Patagonia Capilene 3

Total pack weight right now is just under 17lb, skin-out is 21lb.

Chaco Taco
03-18-2013, 08:17
You are just showing off :) It is good to list your pack and get feedback as well. Things look good here. Id consider just carrying the Cap 3's the whole way. Other than that, looks awesome.

q-tip
03-18-2013, 11:40
Might lkook at theOlympus Tough series camers,. I go the TG-320-for $125, cameral for life.

For shoes, I found Montrail trail runners...just a thought....

Rock Lobster
03-18-2013, 14:02
Might lkook at theOlympus Tough series camers,. I go the TG-320-for $125, cameral for life.

For shoes, I found Montrail trail runners...just a thought....

Hmmm...I did wear the Montrail Comp for my first 1100 mile trip with nary a blister. That's a good idea - any specific models you like? A quick website check has me eyeing the Mountain Masochist Mid since I'm used to the higher cut and I tend to swipe my heel against my ankle when I walk.

Rock Lobster
03-18-2013, 14:05
That Olympus is listed on Amazon at 15.5 oz...is that shipping weight or the camera itself?? Looks great but I'd find a pound of camera hard to justify.

oroy38
03-18-2013, 22:43
Looks good to me, but I do have a question:
Any reason for using the Jetboil over a simple alcohol stove? I only ask because I'm an alcohol stove user and I'm considering picking up a canister stove like the MSR Reactor to use in colder weather/higher altitude applications.

slbirdnerd
03-19-2013, 08:14
I'm just a noob but my learnin' has taught me if your shoes are Goretex/waterproof (is that what the GTX stands for?) that could be at least part of the cause for your blisters. All the fingers point to a low, not waterproof shoe, be it a hiking shoe or a trail runner. If you like the Merrells, the Moab low should come in a non-waterproof version. We like Merrells and looking at the Vented Hilltop Hikers (only at Cabela's apparently) for my son, and the Moab Ventilator for me.

Chaco Taco
03-19-2013, 08:30
Looks good to me, but I do have a question:
Any reason for using the Jetboil over a simple alcohol stove? I only ask because I'm an alcohol stove user and I'm considering picking up a canister stove like the MSR Reactor to use in colder weather/higher altitude applications.
I use both alcy and canister. Its nice to have the alcohol stove in spring and summer and I exclusively only carry alcohol during those times. For me, I like having something to switch it up. We will be in Colorado some this summer and alcohol stoves will be banned. Also the comfort of having a pocket rocket for cold weather is nice for a quick hot drink when it is needed.

Chaco Taco
03-19-2013, 08:33
I'm just a noob but my learnin' has taught me if your shoes are Goretex/waterproof (is that what the GTX stands for?) that could be at least part of the cause for your blisters. All the fingers point to a low, not waterproof shoe, be it a hiking shoe or a trail runner. If you like the Merrells, the Moab low should come in a non-waterproof version. We like Merrells and looking at the Vented Hilltop Hikers (only at Cabela's apparently) for my son, and the Moab Ventilator for me.
I agree with you. The GTX, specifically here, the Moabs, do cause my feet to sweat alot in spring and summer. I wear a nice tight liner under my darn toughs and I can say with confidence, I have never gotten any blisters. The last time I had any sort of blister was when i was wearing hiking boots on the Smokies. Switching over to a Keen Voyageur or Targhee II was the best investment I have made and exclusively hike in Keen's now because of breathability and wide toe box.

Chaco Taco
03-19-2013, 08:34
Hey Lobstah, how is that Sawyer Squeeze working for you? I am thinking about simplifying my "water purification"

oroy38
03-19-2013, 22:38
Hey Lobstah, how is that Sawyer Squeeze working for you? I am thinking about simplifying my "water purification"

I know you weren't asking me (and thank you for the input on the canister stove) but I actually use a Sawyer myself, and I love the thing. It's small, light, and easy to maintain. The flow is fast enough to work for 1 or 2 people, but can be tedious if you're trying to provide water for 3 or more people. If you're not going to find yourself in an area where your water source consists of a slimy puddle or a trickle of a stream, it's going to work well. In cold weather it can be finicky. Just make sure you either sleep with it in your sleeping bag (in a ziploc bag in case there's leftover water in it) or get ALL the water out of it, otherwise any water inside it will freeze and render it useless until you thaw it out.

Rock Lobster
03-20-2013, 00:47
Why Jetboil? Sure, I could go lighter, but I like bomb-proof, simple gear, and the Jetboil does exactly what I need. From a post of mine on the topic:
"They're perfectly designed for boiling water quickly and with an absolute minimum of hassle. I held out for a long time but am a firm convert after last summer. If you like to tinker or experiment, try a homemade alcohol or beer can stove. Guys that have these tend to love them - probably because the end product is the result of their own energy, which is more satisfying. It's not for me. I just want hot water, right the f*** now...Jetboil!"

No feedback on the Squeeze yet...first time for me. I've always been a filter guy because I like to camel up, and it saves me weight in the long run because I don't carry water. It's a lot lighter than the Miniworks (16oz) or the Hyperflow (7-8oz) so I thought I'd give it a shot. It's also a helluva lot cheaper - the ceramic element alone for the miniworks is $40. I used Aquamira for my last week on trail last summer through GA...I liked it, but water was clear and plentiful. I would NOT take AM through PA or central VA.

I appreciate the footwear ideas. I actually switched to the GTX Moabs at the NOC for the last week of my hike after putting 900 miles on my Ventilators. I had bad blisters the first couple weeks in the Ventilators despite having worn them for normal daily use at least 3 times a week for the past 3 years. It's just the cut of the shoe. Unfortunate, because in all other respects they are outstanding. I've heard several people say Keens for the wide toe box and I may try that. I've always liked the full toe cover.

oroy38
03-22-2013, 12:40
Why Jetboil? Sure, I could go lighter, but I like bomb-proof, simple gear, and the Jetboil does exactly what I need. From a post of mine on the topic:
"They're perfectly designed for boiling water quickly and with an absolute minimum of hassle. I held out for a long time but am a firm convert after last summer. If you like to tinker or experiment, try a homemade alcohol or beer can stove. Guys that have these tend to love them - probably because the end product is the result of their own energy, which is more satisfying. It's not for me. I just want hot water, right the f*** now...Jetboil!"

If that's the case, money permitting, why not replace it with the MSR Reactor? By all accounts, it's pretty much completely windproof, easy to use, and is useless for anything but boiling water and boiling it as fast as possible. Also, it's very quiet. Might be something to look into, but if you're happy with the JetBoil I see no point in changing.

As I said in my previous post, though, the Sawyer Squeeze is pretty damn awesome. Just be careful with it in below freezing temps.

Rock Lobster
03-22-2013, 14:04
The money - it's twice the cost of the Jetboil Zip and weighs 6 ounces more. I'd rather sacrifice some fuel efficiency. I also like the insulated mug.

Hot Flash
03-22-2013, 15:45
I use both alcy and canister. Its nice to have the alcohol stove in spring and summer and I exclusively only carry alcohol during those times. For me, I like having something to switch it up. We will be in Colorado some this summer and alcohol stoves will be banned. Also the comfort of having a pocket rocket for cold weather is nice for a quick hot drink when it is needed.

Where did you see this? I know they have been previously banned, but I have not seen that carried over to this season as yet.

aviator60
03-22-2013, 22:08
I've sworn by the Merrell Trail Gloves for 2 years now. However, they are not for everyone as they afford you hardly any protection from rocks. On a whim I purchased the new Merrell Proterra lows and am pretty excited to try them out. They are definitely wide in the toe box as they are designed (from what I gather) to be barefoot/traditional cross-overs. I've only walked about 45 miles in them in three trips but so far so good.

Chaco Taco
03-24-2013, 14:21
Where did you see this? I know they have been previously banned, but I have not seen that carried over to this season as yet.
Have heard with the current conditions and and the fact that some fires are already burning leads folks to assume it will the case again this year

rockymountainhigh
04-02-2013, 01:12
I've used my Jetboil Flash for over a dozen trips. Just recently got the Sumo cup and its too big for backpacking