PDA

View Full Version : Z Packs Exo Durability

Deacon
03-18-2013, 07:07
In my effort to lighten my total load, I bought a Z Packs Exo pack. I've carried it on some day hikes just to get the feel of it, and I really like how the frame carries the weight. The pack itself is 14 oz.

As the frame is rather thin, I would like to hear other Exo owner's experience's on how well the frame held up while hiking. Any experiences with breakage?

10-K
03-18-2013, 08:39
In typical WB fashion I will reply even though I don't have that pack. :)

However, related to that - if it is made out of cuben fiber it will be plenty durable for a thru hike but cuben is not as durable as some other materials.

What I mean to say is that not only is cuben fiber more expensive in terms of initial outlay it also will need to be replaced sooner than another type of material such as dyneema at some point which means another large outlay.

I noticed that almost all the cuben products I have - from dry bags and stuff sacks to my tent - representing close to $1000 - is starting to show serious signs of wear and will need to be replaced in the not to distant future. It's all only around 2 years old.

To me it is worth it and I can afford it but if I couldn't afford to repurchase the same gear every few years I'd choose another material.

p.s. I do have a Blast 30 with carbon stays and they look pretty flimsy but mine have held up well.

Deacon
03-18-2013, 09:03
Your comment on the cuben short life cycle vs. expense is noted. I for one am willing to pay the additional expense in order to lighten my load. Kinda like paying someone to carry my pack.

To others, I would like comments specific to frame durability. Thanks.

old geezer
03-18-2013, 09:30
This is not exactly a reply to your question, but I had the Exo---never used it
Saw the Blast, and asked Joe to upgrade my Exo
It was done for no cost other than shipping
Great customer service!
Johnnie Walker

ChinMusic
03-18-2013, 09:48
I had the Exo. I sent it in to be upgraded to the Arc Blast design and am on my thru as I type. Love the pack but the Arc function does not stay in the bow they show in this pics. Mine wants to bow the other way but it still feels fine. I can get it to bow the right way when empty, but put a load in the pack (20#) and she want to bow the other way. I like the Arc Blast design better than the Exo. The Exo just seemed to have too many things with the frame that could go wrong. Just too complex.

I got the hybrid material out of wear concerns. I've been using it over a year and it still looks new to me. If you go with his hybrid material I wouldn't be concerned with lifespan.

Nooga
03-24-2013, 14:38
I have a Zpacks Blast. I think it is very well constructed, well designed, and reasonably durable (for cuben fibre). I ordered mine with the stays, which are good idea and for me, also served as an awning pole for my tent. I did have an issue with them as they kept coming out of the sleeve. I think Zpacks needs to redesign the sleeve to better retain the stays. I ended up taking mine out and carrying them, as I feared loosing them.

grateful 2
03-24-2013, 14:56
I had the Exo. I sent it in to be upgraded to the Arc Blast design and am on my thru as I type. Love the pack but the Arc function does not stay in the bow they show in this pics. Mine wants to bow the other way but it still feels fine. I can get it to bow the right way when empty, but put a load in the pack (20#) and she want to bow the other way. I like the Arc Blast design better than the Exo. The Exo just seemed to have too many things with the frame that could go wrong. Just too complex.

I got the hybrid material out of wear concerns. I've been using it over a year and it still looks new to me. If you go with his hybrid material I wouldn't be concerned with lifespan.

I have the arc blast design also. I have the identical problem with the frame wanting to bow the opposite direction when loaded with 20 pounds of equipment. It still carries well for me however.