PDA

View Full Version : TVP Questions

Ranger29
03-18-2013, 09:36
I'm just getting into dehydrating meals for the trail - I'm planning on more trail time this year, and the MH stuff was quickly becoming unpalatable. So far, I'm pleased with the results, and have been going through the usual trial and error process to see what works and which recipes translate well. My question is regarding how to use TVP. I picked some up to try out, but I'm not sure if you are supposed to add it during the cooking process, or during rehydration. Also, what would be an approximate appropriate amount to use in an average size portion of say, soups or stews? Thanks!

treesloth
03-18-2013, 10:42
While you are waiting on ideas here, try Googling "TVP recipes for backpacking". A crapload of hits returned. :)

FarmerChef
03-18-2013, 10:47
Best way to find out is to experiment. In my recipes I use dehydrated ground beef, ground pork and ground turkey/chicken. I'm feeding 5 (2 adults and 3 children) so I use 1 Cup of dried meat for each recipe. Say it's hamburger helper - I would use 2 boxes of macaroni and cheese, olive oil, powdered milk, dried onions, garlic powder and 1 cup of dried ground hamburger. TVP should be roughly equivalent.

BigRing
03-18-2013, 19:51
If you dehydrate cooked lean ground beef, drain the meatafter cooking and stir in some seasoned bread crumbs. The bread crumbs help reconstitute the meat and it will be less mushy.

gunner76
03-18-2013, 20:50
Check out the Hungry Hammock Camper by Bablefish5 for DIY meals

Ranger29
03-20-2013, 21:29
O.K., thanks for the responses - some good information!

Dogwood
03-20-2013, 22:30
TVP tastes like, well nothing. It takes on what flavor you make it like a fried with no oil or butter chicken egg. Ever taste a cooked egg without salt, pepper, ketchup, hot sauce, etc. Not a whole lot of flavor! There are different grades or, more aptly, sizes of TVP although the typical size offered, is similar in size to Grape Nuts cereal. TVP expands with H20 about 2 1/2 times the dry size. It's the texture of the typical size TVP offered, once rehydrated, that is kind of what most people notice about though. The texture is reminiscent of chewy sauteed ground beef. For starters, you could substitute TVP for ground beef, chicken, turkey in recipes. Add it to chili or rice to make vegetarian rice or chili. Make veggie burritos. Add it to Knorrs Noodle sides in place of chicken or beef. The larger grades or bigger chunks of TVP, once rehydrated, are reminiscent of chunks of chicken. I throw it in with the other ingredients to reconstitute it.

Kumquat
04-15-2013, 11:34
You can add it either before dehydrating, or after. I usually decide based on how runny the original dish is - if it's a soup with a lot of broth, I add the TVP before dehydrating so that it soaks up some of the liquid (without getting rid of the flavor). If it's less runny, I usually just add a little at the end to save the dehydration time.

Just a thought, in case you haven't discovered this in your experimentation: Cooking and then re-dehydrating spices and herbs tends to dull their flavor, especially of highly aromatic spices like chili powder or curry. I usually add a little bit more of the spice blend to the individual ziploc AFTER dehydrating the portion I'm going to use. Otherwise things can be a little bland. (Sorry if you don't need this - this is what I wish someone had told me when I first started dehydrating!)

Country Roads
05-12-2013, 19:53
I usually add 1 or 2 TBS to either rice dishes, mac and cheese, pretty much anything. It has no real flavor and takes on the flavor of whatever you put it in. It also helps to make salty dishes taste less salty. Adds needed protein to your diet for very little weight and keeps well in a pack.

Dogwood
05-12-2013, 20:56
I've been getting away from TVP to some extent though by opting for fermented ORGANIC soy products such as Miso Soup, Tempeh, Soy Sauce, soy bean sprouts, edamame, soy nuts., tofu, etc both on and off trail. I save the tofu for at home or only eat it on the trail the night I purchased it. I sometimes sprout soy seeds(and other seeds) in a small hemp bag as I hike. Fresh sprouts while hiking is healthy(NUTRITIOUS!, living enzymes, phytonutrients, isoflavonoids, etc) and adds lots of crunchy flavor to MOSTLY DRIED trail foods we tend to eat. Tempeh also holds well for 2-3 days on the trail, Dried Miso Soup is available; I always get Miso and Soy that's organic and MSG FREE. Most soy, by some estimates up to 90 %, is Genetically Modified - NOT ORGANIC! I find Edward&Sons and Sushi Chef Brands Dried Miso Soup packets sold in mainstream large grocery stores and even sometimes at Wally World. I add a dried Miso Soup packet to Ramen and trash the salt/MSG laden spice packets Ramen noodles come with. I add some seaweed and peanuts(cashews work too) and perhaps a pinch of oil(sesame, olive, hot chili infused oil). Sometimes I'll just add Tempeh to these types of dishes but prefer Tempeh added to a Knorrs rice side. Fermented tempeh is commonly available in large grocery stores.

Wise Old Owl
05-12-2013, 22:16
just a thought I have a bag of TVP but never played with it.... If its tastless 1/2 real shreed or ground mixed with some fat will provide the flavor... do a 50/50

BostonBlue
05-12-2013, 23:18
You can add it either before dehydrating, or after. I usually decide based on how runny the original dish is - if it's a soup with a lot of broth, I add the TVP before dehydrating so that it soaks up some of the liquid (without getting rid of the flavor). If it's less runny, I usually just add a little at the end to save the dehydration time.

Just a thought, in case you haven't discovered this in your experimentation: Cooking and then re-dehydrating spices and herbs tends to dull their flavor, especially of highly aromatic spices like chili powder or curry. I usually add a little bit more of the spice blend to the individual ziploc AFTER dehydrating the portion I'm going to use. Otherwise things can be a little bland. (Sorry if you don't need this - this is what I wish someone had told me when I first started dehydrating!)

It sure helps me, Kumquat. Thanks!

BostonBlue
05-12-2013, 23:19
I usually add 1 or 2 TBS to either rice dishes, mac and cheese, pretty much anything. It has no real flavor and takes on the flavor of whatever you put it in. It also helps to make salty dishes taste less salty. Adds needed protein to your diet for very little weight and keeps well in a pack.

Very good idea. I will try this as well.

Dogwood
05-13-2013, 00:44

Good pt by Kumquat. I try to often have some fresh herbs(usually a bunch of Italian Parsley or cilantro) or somthing like a 1/2 clove of garlic, small Vidalia(sweet) onion or small bunch of Scallions(green onions, ramps do fine as well!), fresh ginger root, some leaves(spinach, Swiss Shard, kale, mustard greens, etc) etc while hiking. Not all at once but just a FRESH item OR TWO to enliven dead bland dried trail foods. I also am constantly learning about how to sustainably forage for local trail side edibles to add to trail foods. I'll mention again that I sometimes enjoy nutritious sprouts I've sprouted as I'm hiking. It's EASY!

mxracer33x
05-14-2013, 18:42
I'll mention again that I sometimes enjoy nutritious sprouts I've sprouted as I'm hiking. It's EASY!

Is this like growing potato's behind your ears or what? Otherwise Im picturing a scene in Waterworld with a bottle of dirt and a seedling closely guarded. :p

Dogwood
05-14-2013, 21:35
Is this like growing potato's behind your ears or what? Otherwise Im picturing a scene in Waterworld with a bottle of dirt and a seedling closely guarded. :p

It sounds hippieish I know. Maybe I'm a hippie but it's really easy and sprouts are nutritious. As I said, sprouts are a great addition to dried trail foods hikers typically consume. The first link I provided is the hemp sprout bag and kit including the seeds I initially bought. Put the seeds in the hemp bag(NO you can't smoke the hemp fiber bag or the hemp seeds you might legally sprout in it AND NO I haven't tried!), dip the bag in water, and hang off the back of your pack keeping the bag damp by rinsing with clean water occasionally In about 2-4 days depending on the types of seed you're sprouting you'll have sprouts. I don't even know the SMALL hemp bag is attached to the back of my pack. Whole thing weighs like 3 ozs with a full load of sprouts. You want to impress some folks on trail? Give them some fresh sprouts to add to their trail food.

http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/hemp_sprouting_bag.htm

http://www.sproutpeople.com/devices/bag/hempbag.html

http://www.amazon.com/The-Sprout-House-Sprouting-Directions/dp/B00BJ6STDY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368580323&sr=8-2&keywords=hemp+sprouting+bag

http://www.sprouthouse.com/Hemp_Bag_Sprouting_Kit_p/bagkit.htm

http://mvseeds.com/store/products/Hemp-Sprouting-Bag.html

mxracer33x
05-15-2013, 12:16
Darn, I figured this is what it was. I was hoping you were going to impress me with a topsy turvy tomato plant hanging on the back of your pack! ;) Still very cool. It all adds to the variation and lifestyle that makes everyone so unique on the trail. I hope we cross paths someday!