PDA

View Full Version : Hydration

hikingirl
03-18-2013, 10:18
Just curious what people are using. I have a platypus 2L but wondering if i can just get by with two gatorade bottles?

Rock Lobster
03-18-2013, 10:25
Most of the time the Gatorade bottles will be just fine. There are some 10-15 mile dry stretches where it would be nice to have the Platypus, and several shelters where water is 1/2 mile or more steeply downhill - it would be nice not to have to make the trip twice. Whether it's worth the 1-2 ounce penalty and $20 is up to you :)

FarmerChef
03-18-2013, 10:44
I carry Platypus but that's my own preference for how I like to manage my water. My platy can store up to 3 liters but I rarely carry that much, usually just 2 in the summer and 1.5 in the fall/winter. If I need more, I'll stop and filter up though in our group (I hike with my wife and kids) filtering for that many can be time consuming, so we err on the side of having enough to reach a clean water source (no filter) or camp. Two 1-liter gatorade bottles or 1 2-liter platy will both work just fine. As Lobstah Legs recommends it is good to have a reserve backup that you can use in the dry sections. Some areas like Palmerton have no potable water for an entire day of hiking, depending on your speed. It's nice to have an extra liter or two for those spots.

Slo-go'en
03-18-2013, 11:04
Yes, gatoraid or other plastic drink bottles are fine. You can carry them outside the pack, they don't leak and can be easily replaced. I've seen too many people have too much trouble with water bladers to want to use one myself.

As noted in another related thread, you should also have a way of carrying a significant amount of water up from a spring, but that can be a nylon bag. I use a modified Walmart dry sack - I add a nylon strap to use as a handle. You can also buy nylon water bags designed specifically for that purpose.

88BlueGT
03-18-2013, 11:22
I carry both. 2 gatorade bottles and an evernew 2L

RED-DOG
03-18-2013, 12:08
I use 2, 32 oz Gatorade bottles i have did the trail three times and thats all you need.

hikingirl
03-18-2013, 13:54
Thanks guys. That helps. Leaving mine at home and just using the bottles.