PDA

View Full Version : Cheoah Bald: Water Source?

ChinMusic
03-18-2013, 12:20
I have heard there is a water source near the top of Cheoah Bald. It doesn't make sense that there would be one anywhere near the top.

Is there a good/convenient water source up there or better to water up at Sassafras and plan to dry camp?

Old Hiker
03-18-2013, 12:28
I've never found it, either camping with my Scouts or on my attempt. Not saying it's not there, just that I'm probably blind. AWOL's Guide I think states there is one.

Chaco Taco
03-18-2013, 12:31
Down the Bartram Trail a little ways to Ledbetter Creek. Not sure how far. Also further north along the AT past the summit. Also I watered up at Sassafras Gap before the summit walking north.

RED-DOG
03-18-2013, 12:32
NO the closest water source to Cheoah Bald is at Sassafrass Gap Shelter and theirs also one at Stecoah Gap but their is a little Gap about a just a little ways north of Cheoah they might be water in that little gap
its right before you drop off into Stecoah but i have never looked around their, GOOD luck on finding water on top of Cheoah, i have always gotten water at Sassafrass and always been able to make it to Brown Fork Gap shelter before running out, ( I carry 2 32oz Gatorade bottles) so hows it going out their?

ChinMusic
03-18-2013, 12:35
AWOL's 2013 guide does not show water. I seem to remember a blue blaze up there tho.

max patch
03-18-2013, 12:35
Here is a post on WB by WB member Repeat from 2005:

I spent the night on Cheoah Bald this past Friday night, 7.8.05. I remembered the advise on this thread about water. In the center of the field at the bottom of the bald, there is a farm/access "road bed". Follow this road for about 30 yards, right before the road turns to the right, there is an old orange flag/tape tied to a limb on the left side of the road. Follow this path, which is marked by an occasional orange flag/tape to the bottom of a small ravine/draw, about 30 yards. The "path" then turns to the right/down hill followning the draw to a good spring/creek, about 20 yards. I could hear the water running from the road. It is at this time a very good water source. I do not know of it's year around availability. Overall it is around 3/10 of mile from the top of the bald to the water source. It is steep, reminded me of the decent for water at the Vandeventer Shelter. I sure appreciated the heads-up about this water. Smurf(GaMe2002) and I spent the night on top and ate dinner while watching a drop-dead gorgeous sunset over the smokies from the northern overlook. I have posted several pics of the sunset. Hope this information is usefull.

I remember reading this and was able to find a map using google which showed the water source.

I carried water up from the shelter on my thru and I'd do it again. But next time I'd see if I could find the water for future reference.

Again, I have no personal knowledge of this water.

RED-DOG
03-18-2013, 13:07
Do you plan to spend the night their if so I would follow Max Patch's directions and try to find it, and their is a blue blaze up there, and also their suppose to be some thunderstorms moving through the area tonight so if your up there you better hang on.

ChinMusic
03-18-2013, 13:39
......and also their suppose to be some thunderstorms moving through the area tonight so if your up there you better hang on.
Water would not be an issue today/tonight. Just tip your head and open your mouth.

Tomorrow is my target date.

RED-DOG
03-18-2013, 13:40
The AT compannion says their is water at" locust Gap" which is that little gap i was telling you about in my earlier post

ChinMusic
03-18-2013, 13:46
The AT compannion says their is water at" locust Gap" which is that little gap i was telling you about in my earlier post
Locust Cove Gap is my plan B should it be overcast. Just a little 2-mile, toe-jammer from Cheoah Bald.

max patch
03-18-2013, 13:51
The 13th ed 2008 GA/NC State Guidebook does not mention anything about water on Cheoah. It references the shelter before Cheoah and Locust Cove Gap after Cheoah as water sources.

RED-DOG
03-18-2013, 13:55
Yeah it's a toe jammer alright. last year i tripped on a root and did summer saults down it. but seriously looks like Locust Cove Gap would be your best bet for water. thats just my oppinion.

Lone Wolf
03-18-2013, 14:05
I have heard there is a water source near the top of Cheoah Bald. It doesn't make sense that there would be one anywhere near the top.

Is there a good/convenient water source up there or better to water up at Sassafras and plan to dry camp?

i've camped up there a dozen times. haul water from the shelter

wornoutboots
03-19-2013, 08:48
+1 on cameling up at the shelter. I hope you have Great Weather & stay on the bald!!

Kerosene
03-20-2013, 07:42
From my trail journal, May 2011: " I headed down to the treeline to see if I could find the spring mentioned in the AT Guide but not in any other guidebook. Mudcap Spring turned out to be almost half a mile down the hill (not a tenth!), but I found it just to the left of the woods road, marked by colored plastic ties. One would need a dipping cup, but it’s a nice spring. Of course, I lost my way coming back up the hill, and instead of backtracking I bushwhacked back to the woods road."

ChinMusic
03-20-2013, 08:32
I camped at Cheoah Bald and just brought water up from Sassafras.

Cookerhiker
03-20-2013, 09:31
Hope you had a nice sunrise! I imagine it was a pretty cold morning up at 5K+.