PDA

View Full Version : Big Creek to Fontana

PapaGarrettP
03-18-2013, 12:41
All,

I am hiking from the Big Creek Campground down to Fontana Dam, starting March 30th. My questions:

1. General water availability should be excellent, but how about high stream crossings?

2. How is water availability generally uphill route from Big Creek to Laurel Gap? Should I pack extra for this long uphill climb?

3. Any new damage to the BMT in the Smokies from the storms this winter (I know about 441)?

Thanks,

PapaG

SGT Rock
03-18-2013, 12:54
Water is generally good. The top ~4.5 miles between Big Creek and Mt Sterling is generally dry. Make sure you have enough water when you get going. I've run out before. Stream crossings will probably not be any real issue. The bridge over Enloe Creek is still out, but the ford isn't bad. The only other one you will need to possibly worry about is Noland Creek, but I've crossed it in wet months without an issue. You will probably know before you ever get close to it if the streams are bad, if so, take the Noland Divide up to near Clingman's Dome and then follow Forney Ridge down to Springhouse Branch Trail and then it down to Noland Creek. But again, you probably won't need to do all that.

There is no new damage that I know of. If you would, note any blow downs or bad trail damage on your hike, photos and/or GPS coordinates if you can. This is within the zone of our annual walk through and it would be great to know what needs fixed. FWIW we don't do much of any real maintenance on the BMT in the park, the NPS reserves all that to it's teams of workers.

PapaGarrettP
03-18-2013, 13:17
Thanks, Rock. I will be happy to report back when we are done. Thanks for all you r previous answers as well!