PDA

View Full Version : Making of a Trail name

Rolls Kanardly
03-18-2013, 15:37
AT thru hike2014 or 2015.
Retirementhere I come.
Hey, I am aold guy. It will take me that long to get ready.

My name is Dannie,trail name Muske-gon
The makingof my trail name. This is actually the name
of the citywhere I grew up. As youngsters we were told
the story oftwo of the local residents going across the lake in a canoe.
A big wavestarted to tip the canoe almost dumping the two into the water.
Whilegrabbing the side rails, the front paddler dropped his musket into the lake,
where-as theother paddler said, Muske gone thusgiving the name
Muskegon tothe city. I never checked out the validity of this claim but it is probably
a muchbetter story than the truth.

Now I wouldlike to make contact with friends (male or female) from my high school NMHS that would like to doa thru hike on the AT next year or the year after. There are clues in my message that should tellmy long ago friends who I am.

I am a slowhiker, 15 miles a day so do not say no because you think you cannot hike. Ihave
a cobaltchromium left knee and asthma and I will be hiking the AT.

Muske-gon

1azarus
03-18-2013, 15:55
Welcome, Muske-gon!

I wish you well in your quest to find old buddy hiking mates -- but keep in mind that many find great hiking companions by just starting out alone and seeing who hikes at the same pace.

You may be surprised to hear that on the AT a 15 mile day is considered quite ambitious, especially at the beginning.

Glad to hear you're looking forward to an adventurous retirement. People here at WB will happily answer your questions!

Rolls Kanardly
03-18-2013, 18:24
Welcome, Muske-gon!

I wish you well in your quest to find old buddy hiking mates -- but keep in mind that many find great hiking companions by just starting out alone and seeing who hikes at the same pace.

You may be surprised to hear that on the AT a 15 mile day is considered quite ambitious, especially at the beginning.

Glad to hear you're looking forward to an adventurous retirement. People here at WB will happily answer your questions!

Forgetting the beginning acclimation, what is a good daily hike distance that will allow a thru hike in one year?

The Ace
03-18-2013, 18:59
A funny story! Take your time and enjoy hiking. And, if I every meet you I'm gonna rename you as Tral.

Another Kevin
03-18-2013, 20:46
Forgetting the beginning acclimation, what is a good daily hike distance that will allow a thru hike in one year?

The trail is a little less than 2200 miles.

If you start NOBO in mid-April, you have six months to finish in mid-October before Baxter State Park shuts down. Call it 180 days.

Divide A into B: average twelve-and-a-quarter miles a day, and you'll make it.

Start in mid-March, and you can make it averaging ten-mile days.

Yeah, I know, figure in some zeroes, allow for acclimation time, and the Whites will surely slow you down. But most thru-hikers whack out 20-mile days with ease in the middle of the Trail, so it all averages out.

I've never heard of someone starting the Trail before tax day and quitting because they've run out of time. (I've heard of a few leapfrogging forward from HF and finishing Maryland and Pennsylvania later.) I've heard of a lot quitting because they overdid it at the start and got hurt.

Of course I'm just a clueless weekender, probably will not be a thru-hiker in this lifetime. But you don't need to be a thru hiker to divide 2200 by 180.