PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Designs Flash 2?

GrumpyOne
03-18-2013, 15:40
I know it's a new model, but does anyone have any experience with the Sierra Designs Flash 2 (http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-562-flash-2.aspx)?
Seems like an interesting design that might work well for most of my needs. (Shorter trips w/ my son back packing w/ his Boy Scout troop)
I especially like how quick it is to setup and take down.

Cheers,
jw

bedarda
04-08-2013, 15:43
I bought mine in 1986 and it served me well. It's very narrow in the foot. My brother was a scout leader for 10 years, and he found the REI Half Dome a better fit for boy scouts. The kids are tough on tents and two doors are crucial. I replace my SD Flashlight with a Big Agnes Copper Spur II (HumbleOutdoors $350 w/free footprint). Again two doors...open and roll out!

Franco
04-08-2013, 17:53
The Clip Flashlite and the Flash 2 have really nothing in common...totally different shelters.

GrumpyOne
04-11-2013, 08:50
Yep totally different.

I ended up buying a Flash 2 at Moosejaw (w/ our Troop discount). I've only used it on a short backpacking weekend camp out so far (2 nights x ~12 miles). It weighs in at just under 3 lbs 13oz once you remove the stuff sack and the other misc stuff that comes with it. So it's more then I'd want to carry for a long solo trip, but perfect for shorter weekend camp outs. The space is great for two actual adults, 50in x 85in. (And a palace if I use it by myself.) I had tried out the Copper Spur 2, but couldn't stand how it tapers at the foot end. Way to narrow for me.

Anyways, the Flash 2 seems great for my intended purpose of shorter trips with my Son's Boy Scout troop. (And I've got my Tarptent Notch for longer solo trips).

Cheers,
jw

The Clip Flashlite and the Flash 2 have really nothing in common...totally different shelters.