PDA

View Full Version : Thank you WhiteBlaze Community

Badger
03-18-2013, 16:36
I just want to write a quick note thanking the community. I start my thruhike attempt next week and there's no way I would be as prepared as I am if it weren't for all the information and advice that gets posted on here. Thanks for sharing your experiences and opinions.

I've been a WhiteBlaze member for years. I'm not a frequent poster but consider myself a champion lurker. I'm sure there are many others like me. I just want people to know that even though we lurkers may not be actively involved in the discussion, it's invaluable to hear what others are saying. Someday, when I've actually set foot on the trail, maybe even I'll have something to add.

If you're so inclined, feel free to follow my experiences at http://www.christakesahike.com/.

I look forward to meeting the Class of 2013 out there and hopefully I'll run into some of the characters that roam these forums as well.

Thank you and happy hiking!

Train Wreck
03-18-2013, 16:41
Good luck and best wishes for your hike!

Rocket Jones
03-18-2013, 17:38
Have fun!!!

Astro
03-18-2013, 18:20
Badger, good luck and after the experience you gain from completing your thru-hike, we expect you to be sharing it by posting more. :)

danil411
03-18-2013, 19:33
Badger, you eloquently described my experience as well. Good luck. I start next week and hopefully I will meet you on the trail.

Odd Man Out
03-18-2013, 19:36
So now you know a lot but don't post, as opposed to all of us who post a lot and know nothing! :eek:

I hope you weren't listening to anything I said. :rolleyes:

Have a great hike! :banana

FatHead64
03-18-2013, 19:44
Have a great hike!!

aficion
03-18-2013, 19:49
I just want to write a quick note thanking the community. I start my thruhike attempt next week and there's no way I would be as prepared as I am if it weren't for all the information and advice that gets posted on here. Thanks for sharing your experiences and opinions.

I've been a WhiteBlaze member for years. I'm not a frequent poster but consider myself a champion lurker. I'm sure there are many others like me. I just want people to know that even though we lurkers may not be actively involved in the discussion, it's invaluable to hear what others are saying. Someday, when I've actually set foot on the trail, maybe even I'll have something to add.

If you're so inclined, feel free to follow my experiences at http://www.christakesahike.com/.

I look forward to meeting the Class of 2013 out there and hopefully I'll run into some of the characters that roam these forums as well.

:sun Very nice post Badger! Have fun, stay well, and keep us posted.

Cookerhiker
03-18-2013, 20:13
So now you know a lot but don't post, as opposed to all of us who post a lot and know nothing! :eek:

I hope you weren't listening to anything I said. :rolleyes:

Have a great hike! :banana

Same here on all points! ( I note that you and I joined WB within a few weeks of each other)

hobby
03-18-2013, 20:18

+1 .......but must have at least 10 characters

4shot
03-18-2013, 20:20
wow...you must have been dreaming about this for quite some time.

I am sure that you have read it all...the WB posts, the books, the trailjournals, etc. No words can do it justice..as someone said, it's like describing a sunset to a blind man.. Enjoy it, savor it, and understand that you will hate it at times but keep pushing on.

I started on March 28 3 years ago and think about my hike almost every single day.. wish I could join you. best of luck to you!

HikerMom58
03-18-2013, 20:24

GO Class of 2013... Have a blast Badger! Maybe I'll run into you in Virginia! You as well, danil411. :)

Prime Time
03-18-2013, 20:52
+1 for me also! This forum has helped me immensely. I will be starting my thru hike on the 27th and hope to run into you Badger and Danil411!

Badger
03-18-2013, 23:51
Thanks for the support, everyone. I'm getting so stoked that the adventure is almost here. So much time thinking, planning, worrying and dreaming about it....

I will be sure to report back. At a minimum, I'm fairly confident I'll have a good list of what not to do that I can pass along to the freshmen.

wornoutboots
03-19-2013, 08:33
Best oF Luck!! Remember these few things & you should be fine: You should wait a few weeks to start - your packs too heavy - you should hammock - you should tent - sleep with your food - never sleep with your food - wear boots - wear trail runners - don't stay in shelters - always stay in shelters - I think that's it :D Have a Great Adventure "Class" of 2013!!!

gizzy bear
03-19-2013, 09:34
way awesome!! best of luck and have a great time!!

Old Hiker
03-19-2013, 09:41
Best oF Luck!! Remember these few things & you should be fine: You should wait a few weeks to start - your packs too heavy - you should hammock - you should tent - sleep with your food - never sleep with your food - wear boots - wear trail runners - don't stay in shelters - always stay in shelters - I think that's it :D Have a Great Adventure "Class" of 2013!!!

What, no cheese advice? No, wait - cheese doesn't last that long.

You forgot: take a dog, several dogs, no dogs, a gun, no gun, bullets, no bullets, rain suit/poncho/no rain gear, stove, no stove, and/or/no micro-fiber towel/bandana, gaiters, no gaiters, long pants, short pants, no pants (:eek:) - OK, I was thinking of a kilt - get your minds out of the gutter!!!.

4Bears
03-19-2013, 09:47
Safe and travels, enjoy every moment!!

Odd Man Out
03-19-2013, 12:01
What, no cheese advice? No, wait - cheese doesn't last that long.

You forgot: take a dog, several dogs, no dogs, a gun, no gun, bullets, no bullets, rain suit/poncho/no rain gear, stove, no stove, and/or/no micro-fiber towel/bandana, gaiters, no gaiters, long pants, short pants, no pants (:eek:) - OK, I was thinking of a kilt - get your minds out of the gutter!!!.

You forgot the snake bite kit and bear bells.

Old Hiker
03-19-2013, 12:09
You forgot the snake bite kit and bear bells.

Nope - bear bells (spelled b-a-r-e) was covered (or not) by the kilt ! :rolleyes:

I'm not touching (no pun intended) if "bells" was spelled correctly or not! :eek: