PDA

View Full Version : space blanket

mudsocks
03-18-2013, 19:45
A good idea for long hikes or just extra weight/bulk?

-Octothorpesarus

10-K
03-18-2013, 19:47
Something else to carry, that's about it.

If you carry the correct gear for the conditions you'll be hiking in you won't need a space blanket.

leaftye
03-18-2013, 19:48
It's a good idea if you know how to use it and actually use it. Too many people mistakenly think it's supposed to go over their sleeping gear. In any case, you can get much of the same effect by wearing your rain jacket and putting your legs in your pack liner.

You could use it as a ground cloth, but you'll need to replace it a few times.

Wise Old Owl
03-18-2013, 19:59
Again leave at home...

saltysack
03-19-2013, 06:45
I use mine as a ground cloth...cut down

Chaco Taco
03-19-2013, 08:41
Something else to carry, that's about it.

If you carry the correct gear for the conditions you'll be hiking in you won't need a space blanket.

Well said.......

richmondhokie
03-19-2013, 08:47
I am going out the first weekend in April for a section hike in Virginia - and I am not certain my bag - while rated 30* is REALLY that good - I have used it in the low 40s and high 30s and froze my a** off. I have a good-sized large piece of Tyvek that I was considering making into an outer liner for my bag (washing it repeatedly to make it softer/quiet). It would basically be a big sock for the bag to help keep the heat in - thoughts? I don't have the money for a better bag right now.

bfayer
03-19-2013, 08:55
I carry one, not for myself, but to give to others, such as day hikers I have run into that had no rain gear when it was 40f and raining cats and dogs and other such situations.

I strung one up behind a guy that was borderline hypothermic as a reflector for the fire. Stuck my hiking sticks in the ground and tied it off between the poles, it worked amazingly well. His only sleeping insulation was an army poncho liner.

I have also used it as a ground cloth so to speak under my sleeping bag hoping it would help reflect some lost heat on a cold night. Not sure it did anything, but it was worth trying.

Do you need to carry one, no not at all if like 10K said you have the proper gear.

leaftye
03-19-2013, 08:56
Tyvek doesn't breathe that well. It may end up performing like a vapor barrier, and you don't want that outside your bag, especially if your bag is insulated with down. Vapor barriers are a great tool, but not when used like that.

richmondhokie
03-19-2013, 09:00
I have a similar question - I am section hiking the first weekend in April in VA and while the average overnight temps are mid 40s - it can vary easily by 10 degrees. That being said - my bag is rated 30* - but I know that to be severely optimistic as I have frozen my a** off in low 40s - high 30s. I have a big piece of Tyvek I was considering sewing into an outer liner for my bag - I used to be in the army and we had a 3 piece bag system and they claimed the outer liner (made of gore-Tex) improved the temperature rating - I know gore-Tex is not the same as Tyvek, but I was wondering if the properties of the material as a simple outer barrier would keep me a touch warmer.

richmondhokie
03-19-2013, 09:02
Sorry for the double post - I thought it didnt take and I retyped it......

leaftye
03-19-2013, 09:09
Look up how vapor barriers work.

Because it doesn't breathe well, putting it outside your bag means your bag will insulate you less effectively the longer you're in it. I don't know about you, but the ability of my body to stay warm decreases as the night goes on. When you use a vapor barrier properly and to full effect, your bag will be just as warm or warmer at the end of the night.

richmondhokie
03-19-2013, 09:15
Look up how vapor barriers work.

Because it doesn't breathe well, putting it outside your bag means your bag will insulate you less effectively the longer you're in it. I don't know about you, but the ability of my body to stay warm decreases as the night goes on. When you use a vapor barrier properly and to full effect, your bag will be just as warm or warmer at the end of the night.

I guess I am really confused now - should I make is smaller and put it inside my bag then?

bear bag hanger
03-19-2013, 09:49
I carry a space blanket, but as emergency gear, not something I use. I have come across many unprepared hikers and leaving a space blanket with them is a lot easier than using my sleeping bag or something to help them. While leaving an unprepared hiker without help may seem appropriate, it's a lot harder to leave someone who needs help when you're out there.

Chaco Taco
03-19-2013, 10:18
I have a similar question - I am section hiking the first weekend in April in VA and while the average overnight temps are mid 40s - it can vary easily by 10 degrees. That being said - my bag is rated 30* - but I know that to be severely optimistic as I have frozen my a** off in low 40s - high 30s. I have a big piece of Tyvek I was considering sewing into an outer liner for my bag - I used to be in the army and we had a 3 piece bag system and they claimed the outer liner (made of gore-Tex) improved the temperature rating - I know gore-Tex is not the same as Tyvek, but I was wondering if the properties of the material as a simple outer barrier would keep me a touch warmer.

If you are carrying a base layer and gloves and a beanie and some sort of fleece or down jacket, Id just throw that one before Id consider doing this type of stuff. Throw some hand warmers in and you shoudl be just fine

leaftye
03-19-2013, 10:35
I guess I am really confused now - should I make is smaller and put it inside my bag then?

Short answer: Don't use it at all.

If you do like I said earlier and wear your rain jacket and put your pack liner over your legs, there's no point in using another vapor barrier. If you do that, then the tyvek outside the bag doesn't have the chance to perform as a vapor barrier, but works as a wind block, creates a marginal amount of insulating air space and offers minor rain spray protection.

Seeing as how you are just starting to learn about vapor barriers, I cannot recommend using the tyvek inside or outside your bag. Until you actually know what you're doing and why, this can end up making things worse.

To find out more about vapor barriers, I recommend visiting Warmlite's web site and reading The Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher...or at least the ~10 pages about it.

pelenaka
03-19-2013, 11:25
I carry a space blanket, but as emergency gear, not something I use. I have come across many unprepared hikers and leaving a space blanket with them is a lot easier than using my sleeping bag or something to help them. While leaving an unprepared hiker without help may seem appropriate, it's a lot harder to leave someone who needs help when you're out there.

+1
It's in my gear when I head out. Used it to wrap up in while I changed outta cold wet clothes after an unintentional swim. Gave me warmth while I air dried before dressing into dry clothes.
We've also used it as a fire back coupled with a tarp.

richmondhokie
03-19-2013, 11:55
Short answer: Don't use it at all.

Seeing as how you are just starting to learn about vapor barriers, I cannot recommend using the tyvek inside or outside your bag. Until you actually know what you're doing and why, this can end up making things worse.

To find out more about vapor barriers, I recommend visiting Warmlite's web site and reading The Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher...or at least the ~10 pages about it.

So I am here for advice - and I went to Warmlite's site - and I understand what I am reading on vapor barriers "VB in a sleeping bag gives no added warmth when vented but always protects the insulation from condensation and sweat soaking, thus it’s advisable to have VB in your bag for ALL seasons."

They talk about how a sleeping bag after being slept in overnight weighs more - from the loss of water from our bodies (even thru evaporation) - and that a wet bag decreases the insulating properties - so I read that - combined with the above quote from their site that a vapor barrier "they" suggested sleeping in a trash bag with holes for arms and head - is a wise idea.

I am a section hiker - not a thru hiker - just a guy that goes out on 3-5 day hikes - I don't have a budget - I am piecing this together as I go along - and plan the trips so the weather is favorable (read as if they are calling for in-climate weather - I reschedule) - and I don't have an REI closet in my house from which to fill my pack. I don't have rain pants or a jacket - cause I know if I do get any rain - it is likely to be a surprise storm and not likely to last long - so I don't pack it for the 10% need I might have.

I don't have the money to invest in a new bag, or fancy rain gear (read - I'm not adding unnecessary weight with cheap gear either) - what I do have is a roll of Tyvek and a sewing machine and I was looking for a way to make my next hike more comfortable should the temps dip lower than expected.

10-K
03-19-2013, 12:12
I wouldn't worry about it. If you're cherry picking your trips based on the weather you're probably not going to find yourself in a situation where a VB is worth the trouble it takes to learn how to effectively use one. Just take an extra fleece.

I've been hiking for a couple of years now and have never needed one. I just take the gear that's appropriate for the weather I'm going to be hiking in. I'm sure there are some advantages to a VB but I've never once wished I had one or thought I was missing out on anything.

So I am here for advice - and I went to Warmlite's site - and I understand what I am reading on vapor barriers "VB in a sleeping bag gives no added warmth when vented but always protects the insulation from condensation and sweat soaking, thus it’s advisable to have VB in your bag for ALL seasons."

They talk about how a sleeping bag after being slept in overnight weighs more - from the loss of water from our bodies (even thru evaporation) - and that a wet bag decreases the insulating properties - so I read that - combined with the above quote from their site that a vapor barrier "they" suggested sleeping in a trash bag with holes for arms and head - is a wise idea.

I am a section hiker - not a thru hiker - just a guy that goes out on 3-5 day hikes - I don't have a budget - I am piecing this together as I go along - and plan the trips so the weather is favorable (read as if they are calling for in-climate weather - I reschedule) - and I don't have an REI closet in my house from which to fill my pack. I don't have rain pants or a jacket - cause I know if I do get any rain - it is likely to be a surprise storm and not likely to last long - so I don't pack it for the 10% need I might have.

I don't have the money to invest in a new bag, or fancy rain gear (read - I'm not adding unnecessary weight with cheap gear either) - what I do have is a roll of Tyvek and a sewing machine and I was looking for a way to make my next hike more comfortable should the temps dip lower than expected.

richmondhokie
03-19-2013, 12:25
I wouldn't worry about it. If you're cherry picking your trips based on the weather you're probably not going to find yourself in a situation where a VB is worth the trouble it takes to learn how to effectively use one. Just take an extra fleece.

I've been hiking for a couple of years now and have never needed one. I just take the gear that's appropriate for the weather I'm going to be hiking in. I'm sure there are some advantages to a VB but I've never once wished I had one or thought I was missing out on anything.

I only cancel if it is gonna rain for the next 3 days - that type of thing - if I am only doing this as a long weekend event etc., I will be damned if I am gonna willingly start in in the rain, knowing it will rain for the next 3 or 4 days.

Its just here in VA - they can say low of 45 tonight and I will wake with frost on the ground - I was just looking for an affordable option/backup plan - thanks for the advice guys.

Chaco Taco
03-19-2013, 13:31
But the amount of knowledge you gain by willingly walking in the rain is the beauty of it. I spend money on my rain gear so that I can hike in the rain. I did the AZ Trail around the Wiley's last spring, knowing it would rain the entire time. Learned so much, stayed, relatively dry, had the trail to myself and saw all kinds of wildlife. Cleared up at night, rained when I got up. No problem.

I only cancel if it is gonna rain for the next 3 days - that type of thing - if I am only doing this as a long weekend event etc., I will be damned if I am gonna willingly start in in the rain, knowing it will rain for the next 3 or 4 days.

Its just here in VA - they can say low of 45 tonight and I will wake with frost on the ground - I was just looking for an affordable option/backup plan - thanks for the advice guys.

richmondhokie
03-19-2013, 13:39
But the amount of knowledge you gain by willingly walking in the rain is the beauty of it. I spend money on my rain gear so that I can hike in the rain. I did the AZ Trail around the Wiley's last spring, knowing it would rain the entire time. Learned so much, stayed, relatively dry, had the trail to myself and saw all kinds of wildlife. Cleared up at night, rained when I got up. No problem.

I have spent 20 years in the Army - where I did not have the luxury of deciding when and what I did regardless of the weather. I have the experience - within the Army's guidelines (what I can wear etc), so "experience" is not what I am looking for - my "experience" has told me - I am ABLE to decide if I am willing to subject myself to that or not......

I HAVE gotten wet on my hikes - and i don't mind it - being wet doesn't bother me - I have a cover for my pack - so I keep my gear dry - my movement keeps me warm - (based on VAs daytime climate), i just DO NOT like being cold when I am sleeping.

bfayer
03-19-2013, 13:55
I have spent 20 years in the Army - where I did not have the luxury of deciding when and what I did regardless of the weather. I have the experience - within the Army's guidelines (what I can wear etc), so "experience" is not what I am looking for - my "experience" has told me - I am ABLE to decide if I am willing to subject myself to that or not...

I too have spent a good deal of my adult professional life being cold and wet, ironically usually because of other people that were unprepared to be cold and wet.

So I fully understand your position. I don't generally mind being cold and wet either, I would just rather do it on my own terms with my own gear, not with Uncle Sam's gear and on his time :)

Smooth & Wasabi
03-19-2013, 14:32
Octothorpesarus

I agree with all the posters saying it shouldn't be used as part a normal backpacking kit. However I carry one as part of my emergency gear on longish winter day hikes unless I were to carry traditional bivy gear. Along with an extra large trash bag pack liner and a fire starting kit it would make an unplanned night out much safer.

rockymountainhigh
04-02-2013, 01:14
Have you thought about carrying a liner instead?

rocketsocks
04-02-2013, 04:14
I carry one, they weigh like nothing and are great to have should you come across someone in shock, it could save their life.

The Cleaner
04-02-2013, 08:19
I've always packed the heavier (12oz) reusable space blanket.I use it under my tent folded w/reflective side up.Also makes a great wind block for a fire.Since my back is shot I cannot sit Indian style or sit up without back support for more than a few minutes so my SB is lashed to the outside of my pack so I can access it quick for a "lay down" break....2088620887

dla
04-02-2013, 10:24
I carry one, not for myself, but to give to others, such as day hikers I have run into that had no rain gear when it was 40f and raining cats and dogs and other such situations.

I strung one up behind a guy that was borderline hypothermic as a reflector for the fire. Stuck my hiking sticks in the ground and tied it off between the poles, it worked amazingly well. His only sleeping insulation was an army poncho liner.

I have also used it as a ground cloth so to speak under my sleeping bag hoping it would help reflect some lost heat on a cold night. Not sure it did anything, but it was worth trying.

Do you need to carry one, no not at all if like 10K said you have the proper gear.

That's the one good reason to carry one. The cheap pocket-sizes ones are borderline useless except that they do make good reflectors. REI sells the larger ones, (can't remember the name), that will at least wrap around and cover an adult. A cheap FrogToggs Dri-ducks poncho is a much better insulation barrier IMO.

I used a space blanket for a ground cloth before I discovered Tyvek.