PDA

View Full Version : Coleman Canister Stove...any opinions?

Teacher & Snacktime
03-18-2013, 19:54
Walmart now carries a canister stove by Coleman that resembles the Pocket Rocket and costs 29.88. Does anyone know if it's any good? This is affordable enough that I might be able to upgrade from Esbit sooner than later.

Cookerhiker
03-18-2013, 20:03
Walmart now carries a canister stove by Coleman that resembles the Pocket Rocket and costs 29.88. Does anyone know if it's any good? This is affordable enough that I might be able to upgrade from Esbit sooner than later.

For nearly 7 years now, I've been using my Coleman F1 Exponent Ultralight canister stove which is very similar to the Pocket Rocker except it has 3 prongs comprising the burner - I think the PR has 4. Anyway, I thought Coleman discontinued it 1-2 or more years ago because I was looking on-line to send someone the link. It's been a wonderful stove - I've had no problems and it boils water quite fast.

Also, I paid $49.95 for in in '06 so I wonder if this $29.88 is the same stove at a lower price or some cheapened version. It it's as good as my Coleman, than it's well worth it.

Here's the best photo I could find of actual use on a hike.20489

leaftye
03-18-2013, 20:18
If you're trying to save money, try out this stove. It has pretty good reviews and it's only $9.29 with shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Backpacking-Canister-Burner-Ignition/dp/B004LUZCQM/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1363652272&sr=1-2&keywords=stove

perdidochas
04-03-2013, 16:29
If you're trying to save money, try out this stove. It has pretty good reviews and it's only $9.29 with shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Backpacking-Canister-Burner-Ignition/dp/B004LUZCQM/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1363652272&sr=1-2&keywords=stove

I bought each of my sons one of these for Boy Scout backpacking. They worked great in our two test boils, as well as for a weekend of backpacking. I'm not sure if I'm ready to trust these for use without backup (Scout camping there are always other people who have equipment that will loan it to you), but so far they seem to work well. Most convenient thing is the piezo ignition. Not sure how long it will last, but it's still going.

Venchka
04-03-2013, 18:37

Verify that the stove uses standard gas canisters. The type used by JetBoil, MSR, Pirmus, Optimus, etc.
See post #35 in this thread and the answer to my question:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?93185-What-can-I-get-at-Walmart&p=1435423&viewfull=1#post1435423

Wayne

Venchka
04-03-2013, 18:38
Here it is...

I was in Walmart today. The Coleman meals were gone. There were maybe 6 MH meals hanging on pegs looking very lonely.
I di fine Coleman Butane/Propane mix canisters. The connection looks like a Lindal valve for my Primus Multi-Fuel stove. I'll find out tomorrow when the gas meets the stove. Does anyone know for sure if these Coleman gas canisters match the canisters from MSR, JetBoil, Primus, etc.?

Wayne

hikin_jim
04-20-2013, 17:23

Is this the one? (below)
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07/65/01/21/0007650121816_500X500.jpg

That's the Coleman Peak 1 Micro. Not the high end, but it's decent. Maybe slightly heavy, but that's a good price.

I'm a little scared of those ultra-cheapies from Amazon. I don't like things to fail when I'm out on the trail.

HJ

Uncle Cranky
04-20-2013, 20:34
Used one of the older Colman/Peak One versions WalMart sold for over eight years as a Scout leader. I never had any problems with it. Mine was slightly heavier and bulkier than the Pocket Rocket but was a third less in price at the time. I've seen the newer version and it appears to be better than the one I had. My kids did get me a pocket rocket as a birthday present but the Peak One was still a good investment all around.

DaFireMedic
04-27-2013, 21:01
I have the Coleman Peak 1, paid $29 for it at Walmart 5 or so years ago. Works well enough, but as Hikin Jim said its a bit heavier than most canister stoves. For another $5 you can get a Pocket Rocket. I also have the Amazon cheapo mentioned above, bought it just over a month ago and have used it about 10 times. Works very well so far, pot stability isn't great on narrow pots, but not that bad either. I think its a good deal for the price. Also as Hikin Jim said, because it is a very low price and you usually "get what you pay for", I would be cautious if you are planning to start a major hike right away with it. The good thing is that there are hundreds of reviews floating around out there now I haven't heard of a failure yet. BTW, mine weighed 3.2 oz without the plastic case.

DaFireMedic
04-29-2013, 01:23
I just pulled the stove out and mine is called the Coleman Max, I believe its the same one in the picture. I weighed it and its 6.6 oz.

I think the cheap Amazon stove is going to work out well on trips with groups of camping newbies. Im getting ready to take a youth group on a backpacking overnighter and none of them have stoves. I may pick up 2 or 3 more of these for that trip. Only pressurized gas stoves are allowed in the local mountains.

Bronk
04-29-2013, 01:45
If you comparison shop on Amazon those stoves can be had for as little as $3.55 plus shipping. Catch is they ship from China, which I would be leery about...though it sounds like others here have ordered them without problems. Thing is though, if you are using Esbit or an alcohol stove there are no parts to break that will leave you stoveless miles from town.

Dogwood
04-29-2013, 02:07
The Coleman F1 Exponent UL is a PERFECTLY usable gas burner and it's under 3 oz. but I don't think it's the one you saw at WalMart for around $30. It usually goes fort a little more in the area Cooker Hiker said he paid.

You might have seen the Coleman Lite Max or Peak 1 but I tend to totally agree with all that's been said about those models by Hikin Jim, Uncle Cranky, and DaFireMedic. BTW, I have a BRAND NEW MSR Pocket Rocket in the red triangular plastic case. It was a gift but I don't use this type of butane burner. You want it. You can have it for $20. PM me.

Dogwood
04-29-2013, 02:09
The Coleman F1 Exponent UL is a PERFECTLY usable gas burner and it's under 3 oz. but I don't think it's the one you saw at WalMart for around $30. It usually goes fort a little more typically in the area Cooker Hiker said he paid.

You might have seen the Coleman Lite Max or Peak 1 but I tend to totally agree with all that's been said about those models by Hikin Jim, Uncle Cranky, and DaFireMedic. BTW, I have a BRAND NEW MSR Pocket Rocket in the red triangular plastic case. It was a gift but I don't use this type of butane burner. You want it. You can have it for $20. PM me.

Double Wide
06-08-2013, 13:21
That Coleman F1 is an amazing little stove. It's been discontinued though--but I got mine a couple years ago and couldn't be happier. It weighs 2.7 ounces and boiled 2 cups of water faster than any of the alcohol stoves, pocket rockets, and gigas it competed against when we had a boil-off at Rainman's house a couple months ago with the Nashville Backpacking meetup. With my Snow Peak small titanium pot, it's the perfect kitchen setup for me. And I don't mind the canisters. I saw more people with canisters out on the trail a couple weeks ago, only ran across 2 alcohol stoves in three days. One girl had one with her at the shelter, but used the campfire to heat her noodles and save her fuel instead (she'd done the PCT the year before and knew what she was doing), the other girl had a homemade stove made out of an old Axe body spray can, and it was ridiculous. Easily the most user-unfriendly stove I've ever seen.

Old Hiker
06-08-2013, 13:55
That Coleman F1 is an amazing little stove. It's been discontinued though--but I got mine a couple years ago and couldn't be happier. It weighs 2.7 ounces and boiled 2 cups of water faster than any of the alcohol stoves, pocket rockets, and gigas it competed against when we had a boil-off at Rainman's house a couple months ago with the Nashville Backpacking meetup. With my Snow Peak small titanium pot, it's the perfect kitchen setup for me. And I don't mind the canisters. I saw more people with canisters out on the trail a couple weeks ago, only ran across 2 alcohol stoves in three days. One girl had one with her at the shelter, but used the campfire to heat her noodles and save her fuel instead (she'd done the PCT the year before and knew what she was doing), the other girl had a homemade stove made out of an old Axe body spray can, and it was ridiculous. Easily the most user-unfriendly stove I've ever seen.

I was wondering - sure it's discontinued? Maybe they are just going through old stock? Same one?

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Exponent-F1-Ultralight-Stove/dp/B0009VC7UG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370714060&sr=8-1&keywords=Coleman+F1+Exponent

Double Wide
06-09-2013, 08:30
Yeah OH--that's it. Get one while you can. But they're not listed anywhere on Coleman's website, (or they weren't a few weeks ago when I was looking for a pic to update my gear list on Trail Journals), so I'm guessing the ones you find online are just old stock. I'd love to get a second one just because, but it's pretty well built (actually, ingenious design if you ask me), but there's no need. I don't think it's going to break down anytime soon.