PDA

View Full Version : Rescue in progress...

The Cleaner
03-18-2013, 20:14
I just heard from local radio,WGRV,that SAR had recieved a message of a sick hiker at Jerry's Cabin shelter.As of 2:30 this afternoon SAR was on it's way to the shelter to help.Anyone with updated info please post...

The Cleaner
03-19-2013, 08:10
No report from WGRV or any other local news this AM so far.Maybe no rescue needed....

The Cleaner
03-19-2013, 12:53
The local newspaper,The Greeneville Sun,reported today that in fact there was a hiker transported from Jerry's Cabin shelter late yesterday.The hiker had been at the shelter for "several days" and was suffering from dehydration.Apparently Madison Co. also received a call also.The article states that he was transported to a hospital in Asheville by Madison Co. SAR....

The Cleaner
03-19-2013, 13:22
Only a few weeks ago the spring at Jerry's Cabin shelter was flowing heavy.How someone became dehydrated there leads me to believe that the norovirus may once again be on the trail also.Hikers heading into Hot Springs need to be aware and follow up as to what the evacuated hiker really had wrong with him......

Lyle
03-19-2013, 13:24
This time of year, the reason for evacuation shouldn't be dehydration, but shear incompetence.

Chaco Taco
03-19-2013, 13:27
sounds like somethin....Ive always thought that shelter was kinda gross. Used to frequent the are alot in 08-10 but we always camped about half mile away or would hit it mid day.

Grits
03-19-2013, 13:38
Only a few weeks ago the spring at Jerry's Cabin shelter was flowing heavy.How someone became dehydrated there leads me to believe that the norovirus may once again be on the trail also.Hikers heading into Hot Springs need to be aware and follow up as to what the evacuated hiker really had wrong with him......

I will check on it and see if I can find out. I have emailed a friend that might be able to find out if it is Norovirus.

mtntopper
03-19-2013, 13:38
This time of year, the reason for evacuation shouldn't be dehydration, but shear incompetence.

If the hiker was sick they could very well be dehydrated and not incompetent at all.

Slo-go'en
03-19-2013, 13:46
If the hiker was sick they could very well be dehydrated and not incompetent at all.

With all the cold, wet weather that has been down there this season, it would be pretty easy to get sick from something...

The Cleaner
03-19-2013, 14:03
Cold&wet does not kill too often.Germs make people sick and where&how this hiker got sick needs to be determined so that other hikers might plan to avoid certain things or places...

SCRUB HIKER
03-19-2013, 14:10

Doubtless the same type of sheer incompetence that drives people like you to lend your esteemed opinion to these discussions. People can get sick, unable-to-evacuate-themselves-from-the-woods and unable-to-rehydrate-fast-enough sick, at any time for any number of reasons.

With all the cold, wet weather that has been down there this season, it would be pretty easy to get sick from something...

Everything that I've read suggests that illnesses spread more easily in winter not because of anything in the cold, wet weather, but because people stay indoors and in closer contact with each other during that time. The person certainly could have gotten sick from staying in crowded shelters, but that's not exactly the same as getting sick because of the cold, wet weather. Again, I'm no expert, just relaying ideas that I've read about.

Slo-go'en
03-19-2013, 14:17
Cold&wet does not kill too often.Germs make people sick and where&how this hiker got sick needs to be determined so that other hikers might plan to avoid certain things or places...

Being cold and wet can make you more likely to get sick. And since there is an incubation period, determing where and how someone got sick for someone on the move like a hiker is usually not possible. He could have picked up someting in Hot Springs or even as far back as Standing Bear. Hard telling, not knowing.

wornoutboots
03-19-2013, 14:41
Strange?? I just read a journal of a thru that just stayed there a few days ago? No mention of this in his journal so I'm wondering if this was someone out on a connecting trail that stammered into Jerry Cabin??

wornoutboots
03-19-2013, 14:43
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=403084

gizzy bear
03-19-2013, 15:22
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=403084

i am confused...the guy in this trail journal didn't mention being sick...did i miss something? i am a blonde ya know!!!

wornoutboots
03-19-2013, 15:24
no, my point was that he stayed there a few days ago & the newspaper article said the rescued hiker had been there several days? Just trying to unwrap the mystery :)

gizzy bear
03-19-2013, 15:27
no, my point was that he stayed there a few days ago & the newspaper article said the rescued hiker had been there several days? Just trying to unwrap the mystery :)

gotcha... i hope whoever it is is ok...being sick on the trail is a scary thought!!

Tinker
03-19-2013, 16:30
This time of year, the reason for evacuation shouldn't be dehydration, but sheer incompetence.

or the Norovirus. Or giardia, or ecoli, or....................

sheer.

Tinker
03-19-2013, 16:34

I'll take a stab at it - Ill with vomiting/diarrhea. Leads to dehydration.

Hope he's ok.

The Cleaner
03-19-2013, 18:09
Probably got an overdose of Aquir-Mira.:eek:

Special K
03-19-2013, 19:08
i am confused...the guy in this trail journal didn't mention being sick...did i miss something? i am a blonde ya know!!!

I was thinking the same thing! I read a few days of his journal thinking...???
On another note: Did you hear about the blonde who returned a scarf to the store because it was too tight? :banana

rocketsocks
03-19-2013, 19:12
On another note: Did you hear about the blonde who returned a scarf to the store because it was too tight? :bananaNow that's funny!

Tinker
03-19-2013, 19:17
"Ok, now, what should I write in my trail journal today?"

"Today I was sick - No, macho hikers don't get sick - Ok, today I had vomiting and diharrea, must be giardia - No, smart hikers don't do things which would give them giardia - Ok, Today was a GREAT hike: I climbed This big mountain and saw These wild animals and....................."

Yeah, I can imagine why he wouldn't write about his illness. :datz

k2basecamp
03-19-2013, 21:42
Or he drank some methyl by mistake.

Mountain Mike
03-19-2013, 22:02
Or he drank some methyl by mistake.
Should have brought a flask with him!

prain4u
03-20-2013, 00:33
This Fall, I stayed overnight at the house of my hiking partner the night before we were to go on a several day hike. The morning of the hike, I awoke feeling ill. Soon, diarrhea, vomiting, fatigue, chills, fever, body weakness--and eventually dehydration set in. The diagnosis: "Most likely, Norovirus". My hiking partner is a Physician Assistant. His wife is a Family Physician. They prescribed medications to address my symptoms. They took very good care of me and waited on me hand and foot. I was able to sleep in a comfortable bed. I stayed in a safe, dry, warm house--with access to a real bathroom. I literally had round the clock medical care at my disposal. Still, that Norovirus was one of the more challenging things I have faced in a long time. At one point, my friends said to me: "If this thing doesn't turn around in approximately six more hours--you will probably need to receive IV fluids."

I can't imagine dealing with something like this Norovirus--alone--in a cold, wet, shelter--without medical professionals present and without prescription medications and real bathrooms.

Snowleopard
03-20-2013, 09:16
Many illnesses can cause dehydration. Not drinking enough can cause it in hot weather, but diarrhea is probably the most serious way it happens. I've had to take a relative to the emergency room for IV fluids when she had a bad case of flu.

It's useful to carry pedialyte or other hydration powder to treat it. Gatorade works but should be diluted to about half strength. If there's mild diarrhea, over the counter meds can help (pepto-bismol is what I use). Sometimes the only thing to do is evacuate to an ER for IV fluids.

gizzy bear
03-20-2013, 09:36
On another note: Did you hear about the blonde who returned a scarf to the store because it was too tight? :banana

she must have bought the extra small... i wear a small and mine fits perfect :D

prain4u
03-20-2013, 14:00
Many illnesses can cause dehydration. Not drinking enough can cause it in hot weather, but diarrhea is probably the most serious way it happens. I've had to take a relative to the emergency room for IV fluids when she had a bad case of flu.

It's useful to carry pedialyte or other hydration powder to treat it. Gatorade works but should be diluted to about half strength. If there's mild diarrhea, over the counter meds can help (pepto-bismol is what I use). Sometimes the only thing to do is evacuate to an ER for IV fluids.

I agree--evacuating to the ER for IVs is sometimes one of the few good choices. Perhaps, that is what happened with the hiker in this instance.

I also agree with you regarding carrying some Pedialyte or other hydration/electrolyte replacement powders. However, I know that when I had my bad case of Norovirus, I was so sick--and so extremely weak--that simply GETTING the water and adding it to the Pedialyte mix would have been a challenge for me if I had been hiking alone. (Thankfully, my Norovirus symptoms hit several hours BEFORE my friend and I left his house for the trail).

I often hike alone. One of my biggest fears is getting severely ill on the trail---and being unable to care for myself. I know that I would have been in DEEP TROUBLE if I had been alone in the woods and that Norovirus hit me like it did. The level of fatigue, weakness and dehydration which I experienced were very severe--and (in many ways) unlike most other illnesses which I have ever experienced.

Hot Flash
03-20-2013, 14:06
Have we actually heard what was wrong with the hiker, or are people just jumping to conclusions and assuming it was norovirus?

Lone Wolf
03-20-2013, 14:07
Have we actually heard what was wrong with the hiker, or are people just jumping to conclusions and assuming it was norovirus?

of course the latter

10-K
03-20-2013, 14:28
of course the latter

hahaha.. good one. :)

fins1838
03-20-2013, 14:42
Once bought an extra-medium, a bit tight.

Rasty
03-20-2013, 14:50

My guess is Ebola.

Special K
03-20-2013, 15:01

Mine does too! :D

***CRASH!!*** Sorry, I just tripped over my cordless phone. :o

gizzy bear
03-20-2013, 15:07
Once bought an extra-medium, a bit tight.

i hear those scarfs are haunted ...

gizzy bear
03-20-2013, 15:08
Mine does too! :D

***CRASH!!*** Sorry, I just tripped over my cordless phone. :o

don't walk...take your stationary bike wherever you go... :D

The Cleaner
03-20-2013, 16:35
We may never know what really happened,but it seems the hiker has recovered and is back on the trail or home.I'd say there may be some interesting entries in the trail register at the shelter.Due to some obligations I won't be able to get up to the shelter and clean up until next week.Forecast for week here, is cool days and very cold the next few nights.Happy Hiking all:sun

Special K
03-20-2013, 18:05
don't walk...take your stationary bike wherever you go... :D

I would but I'm busy right now staring at my frozen orange juice container. It says "concentrate". .....Sheesh...wonder how long...eyes are gettin' tired....:confused: :D

grateful 2
03-20-2013, 19:41
I just read this to my blonde wife, and she said, "No, what happened?"

Special K
03-20-2013, 19:57
I just read this to my blonde wife, and she said, "No, what happened?"

That's hysterical!