PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Dam resupply

Many Moons
03-18-2013, 21:49
Ok, I've read the resupply written by Balt.Jack, info but also seen there looks to be new places to resupply in Fontana before hitting the GSMNP. Any one know if you can pick up a log of summer sausage and Mountain House meals in this town. I was not planing on sending a resupply box, but it is a can do. Just looking for a bit of info from ya'll that have been through this area lately??? Hike On!!!

Miller

Slo-go'en
03-18-2013, 22:05
The village store has enough of a basic selection to get you through the park or at least to Gatlinburg (which has a supermarket way out side of town and accessable by trolly, but the trip takes forever).

mrcoffeect
03-19-2013, 07:02
The village store has enough of a basic selection to get you through the park or at least to Gatlinburg (which has a supermarket way out side of town and accessable by trolly, but the trip takes forever).

The trolly ride to hell and back, I hated it. If i had to do it over I'd just empty out my backpack at the grand prix and walk to the store.

moldy
03-19-2013, 09:13
They do not carry mountain house or similar dehydrated hiker meals. They are likely to have some sort of preserved sausage. It's a mac and cheese, snickers, pasta side kind of place. They do have flat bread tortillias and some of the crap you might put on it like peanut butter or tuna and spam....... When I was last there it was cold in the mountains and the 2 packages of hot dogs I bought lasted me all the way to Standing Bear Farm....... Be sure to hang your food.....

Old Hiker
03-19-2013, 10:27
I got there about 20 Mar 2012 - right AFTER a bubble of hikers, so there wasn't a lot left. I'd sent stuff from Franklin on the advice of the Outdoor 76 store and some hikers there. I was glad I did - I'm not sure I could have gotten a lot. Didn't think about hitching or shuttling in to another location, though.

Ox97GaMe
03-19-2013, 19:29
Fontana Villiage is a resort community with several cabins, a hotel, 2 restaraunts, a laundry, a post office, and a general store. the general store is usually only open during tourist season (Mar 15 thru Dec 1, I think) It carries supplies for the folks that are staying at the resort. They dont cater specifically to hiker type foods. However, as has been mentioned, you can usually pick up some basic staples like breads, breakfast bars, candybars, lipton dinners, Peanut butter, tuna. The store used to only get stocked once a week, so depending on what day you arrived and how many hikers had been through since the last stocking, the picking could be pretty slim.

If you ship a box there, also note the post office hours. You may not want to get stranded in Fontana over the weekend waiting for your package to arrive.

There are options for having your box shipped to the hotel. The Hike Inn is not far from Fontana. you can send a package there and stay at the hostel for the night. I think they also do daily shuttles into Robbinsville where there is a good grocery for resupply. From their hostel, I think it is 30-40 miles round trip. Might be worth contacting them to discuss options.

Lone Wolf
03-19-2013, 19:51
i hiked through there 14 years straight. always found plenty to get me to gatlinburg. it's not an issue

garlic08
03-19-2013, 20:18
You don't even have to go there if you don't want to. I resupplied at the town of Robbinsville from Stecoah Gap. I carried stuff an extra 15 miles, but I had a full grocery store to buy from and didn't have to even stop at Fontana (except for a free shower at the Dam). I carried enough to bypass Gatlinburg, too, and that was good.

Jack Tarlin
03-19-2013, 20:35
Re-supply is much better there now than it was years ago. Most hikers do fine, especially if they plan to get out of the Park at Newfound Gap. People worried or concerned should consider sending a two-three day box here, but most folks won't find this necessary.

Rusty Nail
03-20-2013, 10:07
I was able to resupply at Fontana and make it to Standing Bear with any issues. Summer sausage, cheese, pop tarts, knorr sides, rice and beans... its all there. And a belly full of pizza from the corner shop just a short walk from the store.

RED-DOG
03-20-2013, 10:55
Try the PIT-STOP, i resupplied their last year they got all kinds of good hiker food.