PDA

View Full Version : tick protection for dog and I

saltysack
03-19-2013, 07:10
So far most of my hiking with my jrt has been late fall and winter hiking as he just turned one. Planning to hit the AT more this spring and summer. What's the best flea and tick protection for us? The monthly he is on first work for ticks so ill prob try something else... What works best for hiker and dog?????
Mostly in Ga and NC sections.

slbirdnerd
03-19-2013, 08:05
I think I'm going to treat my clothes with permethrin, and tick check regularly. Not afraid of bears, or snakes, or raccoons, or rain--but dang I hate ticks.

Rocket Jones
03-19-2013, 08:29
Permethrin

Wise Old Owl
03-19-2013, 08:34
Frontline for the dog. Deep Woods off for U.

Permithrin is for clothing... it says in the label can be used on farm animals - but its a disaster if it is used on our skin (it itches like hell) so do not put it on your dog.

Chaco Taco
03-19-2013, 10:52
lyme vaccine from the vet
Frontline days leading up to hike
tick checks are always good

Teacher & Snacktime
03-20-2013, 00:56
Frontline for the dog. Deep Woods off for U.

Permithrin is for clothing... it says in the label can be used on farm animals - but its a disaster if it is used on our skin (it itches like hell) so do not put it on your dog.

STAY AWAY FROM FRONTLINE!!! Go with Advantix instead. Frontline has been know to either be completely ineffective or to cause allergic responses in many dogs. We used it last year because our vet switched over to it and it was a disaster. All problems immediately solved once we went back to Advantix.

Dogwood
03-20-2013, 01:21
Tick protection for dog and I
...What's the best flea and tick protection for us? ... What works best for hiker and dog?????

Uhh, if fashion conscious perhaps matching flea/tick collars?

gumball
03-20-2013, 05:30
My dog has a terrible reaction to tick medication--it actually gives him a seizure like reaction. We were using the one which is also a heartworm protectant. I did get him a Lyme shot and keep that updated, but I am a bit gun-shy of the topical meds for him at this point.

Special K
03-20-2013, 10:49
What's the best flea and tick protection for us? The monthly he is on first work for ticks so ill prob try something else...

Is he not doing well with what you're using now? If so, stick with it. I ditto what Chaco Taco said. Lyme, Frontline, tick check. And check yourself (I'm sure you already do). I would always check my dog after a hike and when I found ticks on him I usually found ticks on me. *Sigh* I miss my best bud. :(

Ewok11
03-20-2013, 15:27
My dog has a terrible reaction to tick medication--it actually gives him a seizure like reaction. We were using the one which is also a heartworm protectant. I did get him a Lyme shot and keep that updated, but I am a bit gun-shy of the topical meds for him at this point.

Oddly, my JRT has the opposite problem. I can't give him oral heartworm meds because of the beef or pork flavoring in them. He has terrible reactions to them. After trial and error with just about every option out there, we have settled on Revolution. It works for heartworms, fleas, ticks and mites.

clickchik
03-21-2013, 16:18
Another case of it depends. Some dogs have problems with one product or the other. Mine do well with Frontline. My chance of finding a tick on a sheltie is almost nil.

There are some tough ticks in the Southern Wisconsin

lostinfflood
03-22-2013, 04:59
In New Jersey I have found, along with numerous dog owners, that Frontline has become ineffective. I use Advantix II with good success. Also, as previously mentioned get a Lyme disease vaccination for the dog but keep in mind that deer ticks are also vectors for other diseases e.g. anaplasmosis. My dog came down with this and it was quite painful for him and a stubborn infection to deal with. Use the Advantix II but check, check and check again every day.

Rain Man
03-22-2013, 22:49
"Tick protection for dog and I"? Good Lord, that's like fingernails being dragged across a blackboard to me! SHUDDER!!! ~wink~

Now, middle school grammar police cap off, the answer is easy: Permethrin.

Rain Man

Ginger Snap
03-29-2013, 17:12
Frontline is not a repellent, therefore you may find a tick on your dog. . . however, it WILL die! There has been no demonstrated resistance in multiple studies for either ticks or fleas. Lyme disease takes a number of hours to be transmitted by the tick, and the tick should die before being able to transmit the disease. Merial makes a newer product called Certifect- it is basically frontline with amitraz. the Amitraz makes the ticks a little crazy and causes them to get more of the frontline product (s-methoprene and fipronil) on them and causes them to die more quickly (therefore being less able to transmit disease)

that being said- a Lyme vaccine is still a good idea. .

gunner76
03-29-2013, 20:44
Permethrin...I spray it on my dog and use it to treat my hiking clothes and camping gear.

charliethruhike
04-04-2013, 09:16
I am a lil hesitant to get on board with putting a chemical that is designed for clothes, not skin, on a dog. I will say cedar oil works well if you are looking to get away from the massproduced pesticides.

mankind117
04-04-2013, 11:26
Long pants + permethrin on pants and socks, check for ticks everyday, don't go walking through really tall grass has worked for me.
I hike year round railriders eco-mesh pants, never had a tick on the skin.

Wise Old Owl
04-04-2013, 12:02
STAY AWAY FROM FRONTLINE!!! Go with Advantix instead. Frontline has been know to either be completely ineffective or to cause allergic responses in many dogs. We used it last year because our vet switched over to it and it was a disaster. All problems immediately solved once we went back to Advantix.

Huh? All products have issues in a small percentage of dogs... That's why it is so important to follow directions... ( see chart I dug up for you)

While Frontline products have had successful use in the control of flea populations, there have been negative results seen when dogs have been maintained for extended periods on the products. The fipronil builds up in your dog’s body, giving it the chance to cause problems. If Frontline is your choice for flea control (http://www.vetinfo.com/effective-flea-control.html), consider taking a 3 to 6 month break during low flea infestation periods to allow your dog’s body to rid itself of any toxic build up that may have occurred. This will help to avoid the potential of any problems arising from the fipronil.

Read more: Side Effects of Fipronil (Frontline) for Dogs - VetInfo (http://www.vetinfo.com/side-effects-fipronil-frontline-dogs.html#ixzz2PVjR1yHm)

A small percentage of dogs have serious reactions to the chemicals in K9 Advantix. Some dogs reportedly have died from reactions to the product; other, minor reactions such as skin irritation have been reported, as well. If your dog is among the few that have an adverse reaction to this medication, the small percentages are of little comfort.
Cats that share a home with dogs are in danger of poisoning if exposed to K9 Advantix. Permethrin is toxic to aquatic life, as well, and should be disposed of properly.

Read more: Problems With K9 Advantix | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/about_5084879_problems-advantix.html#ixzz2PVk56DIL) http://www.ehow.com/about_5084879_problems-advantix.html#ixzz2PVk56DIL

Wise Old Owl
04-04-2013, 20:00
Where did everyone go?

CKM
04-08-2013, 20:16
I had no idea you could get dogs vaccinated for lyme... that's pretty nifty. Any idea how much those shots run? I'm abroad right now and I think that's something I'd have to get for the pup when he flies in. I googled it, and came up with the link below which seems pretty negative on vaccinating dogs beforehand. I'm not sold either way. I know I don't like to medicate myself unless I have to, but ticks in Maine are nasty business. What to do?

http://www.i-love-dogs.com/forums/dog-chat/20885-lyme-vaccinate-not.html

gumball
04-09-2013, 05:25
I had no idea you could get dogs vaccinated for lyme... that's pretty nifty. Any idea how much those shots run? I'm abroad right now and I think that's something I'd have to get for the pup when he flies in. I googled it, and came up with the link below which seems pretty negative on vaccinating dogs beforehand. I'm not sold either way. I know I don't like to medicate myself unless I have to, but ticks in Maine are nasty business. What to do?

http://www.i-love-dogs.com/forums/dog-chat/20885-lyme-vaccinate-not.html

I think Benny's Lyme shot was about $25 or $30. Gum

Ladytrekker
04-09-2013, 06:12
I backpacked last weekend on the FT and found 8 ticks on me and in Florida chiggers are rampant I get them practically everytime I go in the woods I try to remember to bring feet it seems to work the best for ticks

Sampson
04-09-2013, 07:07
Are ticks already out and about in the NW Connecticut - Southern Berks section of the trail? I assumed it would take another month before they started to abound, but I'm starting to think I should take some precautions for my hike this weekend.

wakapak
04-09-2013, 08:52
Are ticks already out and about in the NW Connecticut - Southern Berks section of the trail? I assumed it would take another month before they started to abound, but I'm starting to think I should take some precautions for my hike this weekend.

I live in just south of the lakes region in NH and we have already found some ticks on our dog after just spending an hour or so in the local trails and state park. The ones found on him were the bigger dog ticks, however if they are already out then most likely all others are around too.

CrumbSnatcher
04-10-2013, 18:09
I did have the lyme vaccination along with a collar and frontline or advantix for my hiking partner. never found a tick attached too her, on her yes but on the run :-) thought there were a few downsides to the lyme vaccination including stiff joints over time. but I could be wrong

jcreamer
04-10-2013, 18:30
FWIW, I am a veterinarian and see patients on every topical with ticks. Unfortunately, they just do not last a month. Usually they are good for about two weeks. And while they may kill the tick, they do not make them release once attached so you find little dried up dead tick bodies on your dog. There is a collar called "Preventic" made by a company called Virbac (pretty sure that is right). It contains amitraz and it slowly releases the product. It is marketed to last for 3 months but I have used the same collar on my dogs for up to six months. It will kill the tick quickly and makes it release so that you dont find them attached. It is the best product I have every used for ticks on dogs. When we have one come in the hospital that is covered in ticks, we do not remove the ticks, we apply the collar and you can see dead ticks on the bottom of the kennel floor within two hours. The only down side is that in some small breed dogs (chihuahuas and the like) you can see some slight lethargy and sedation for the first day or two. I have never seen this in a dog weighing over 15 pounds.
Finally, don't forget that Lyme disease can be transmitted through your skin if you pull ticks off with your fingers. Use tweezers or just leave them in place and let the medications take care of them.
Obviously, vaccinate your dog for lymes. It's not a perfect vaccine, but it's better than the alternative (nothing).
BTW, I am in no way associated with Virbac or any other drug company. Just a private practitioner in Georgia.

archie
04-10-2013, 18:36
I am a professional retriever trainer so I know thing or two about ticks and dogs. Regarding topicals, they are very effective. Get them from your vet and not a discount outlet as they have a short shelf life and their effectiveness declines as they age. I prefer Frontline plus as it performs better than the rest on my dogs which get wet every day. The other topicals work well too depending on your needs. I suggest going with whichever product your vet sells and buy it from them. There are some dogs with reactions to topicals but it is rare.

Regarding the lyme vaccine, I do not use it. I am not anti vaccinations at all. It is just not effective enough to rely on. 70-80 percent leaves a lot of infected dogs. Then there is the testing. Normal protocols call for testing every 3 years. This leaves a 20-30 % chance your dog will go untreated for up to 3 years. Vaccinating also means you have to use the expensive test. I prefer to test using the inexpensive snap test and do it yearly. Another option is just to assume they are positive(most in my area are) and treat every year. Treatment is as cheap as testing and cheaper than a vaccination. Treatment is a simple course of doxycycline. Lymes disease is not as serious in canines as it is in people and it usually only causes problems if left untreated for long periods of time. I treat or test yearly to avoid those long term issues. This protocol is what I use on my own dogs as well as client dogs. Those dogs are extremely valuable competitive dogs and they get better treatment than most people do.

Just my opinion.

gladwell
04-11-2013, 00:11

http://www.i-love-dogs.com/forums/dog-chat/20885-lyme-vaccinate-not.html Very insightful link! I too am not sold on the idea of vaccinating my dog, saying that I think I am pretty concerned about contracting it myself!