PDA

View Full Version : Place to buy some cheap gloves and hat?

Popnfrsh24
03-19-2013, 09:14
Hey guys,

i am going to leave for the app trail in less than a month (apr 15). The only thing I need left to get is a cheap pair of hat and gloves. I realize I'm starting rather later in the season...do you think I even need a hat and gloves?

My plan was to just get a cheap pair of hat and gloves and then send them back early on if I didn't need it. That's why I want to get a super cheap pair so I'm not wasting money. Does anyone know where I can go to buy these items?

i tried my local "farm and fleet" store and they didn't have anything that fit my needs. I have also read that a surplus army navy store would def have some, but the one I know of Is rather far away from where I live.

thank you,

leaftye
03-19-2013, 09:15
Target. Look for the Champion, aka C9, clothing.

Lone Wolf
03-19-2013, 09:16
Walmart.........

10-K
03-19-2013, 09:20
The best place I've found for good, cheap gear is an army surplus store. Lots of wool stuff and cheap-cheap-cheap.

58starter
03-19-2013, 09:22
Not Bass Pro- I was there yesterday with a $25 gift card and could not find a pair of gloves I could buy..

DeerPath
03-19-2013, 09:23
Sierra Trading Post (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~long-underwear/sizefamily~general%3b2xl/) - I've found a lot of good deals here.

flemdawg1
03-19-2013, 09:28
The best place I've found for good, cheap gear is an army surplus store. Lots of wool stuff and cheap-cheap-cheap.

+1. I use a Navy watch cap and wool glove liners.

Popnfrsh24
03-19-2013, 18:02
Walmart.........

I realize I could get lots of cheap hats and gloves at Walmart..but I was thinking about wool material. Do they commonly sell wool hats or gloves at Wally World? Also, what's the diff between wool and fleece when it comes to hat/gloves?

Teacher & Snacktime
03-19-2013, 18:05
I just picked up a couple of fleece hats on clearance for 50 cents each at Walmart....they're warm.

Dogwood
03-19-2013, 18:23
Check out thirft or Goodwill stores if on a REALLY TIGHT budget. I'm near Atlanta right now and I've been noticing some decent finds, gear and non gear related, lately in the area.

Dogwood
03-19-2013, 18:30
Forgot to mention, IMHO, I feel a WHOLE LOT BETTER, supporting these types of potential used gear outlets, than say WalMart. The thrift, Goodwill, Salvation Army, charity for a donation outlets OFTEN beat even Walmart prices to boot! Here's a hint. look for these potential good used gear finds in or near higher income areas.

Tinker
03-19-2013, 18:33

+2 (and you can often find down clothing which doesn't appeal to city folks because it has "flimsy fabric" (lightweight to us), and "too thin" (a good garment for layering to us).

More mainstream - Campmor, in Paramus, NJ, has a TON of inexpensive hiking gear, and it's likely that winter clothing is on sale now, because most hikers aren't thruhikers and won't be shopping for it now.

Dogwood
03-19-2013, 18:48
If you ever get a chance to sort through the racks and shelves in places like Campmor in Paramus NJ, Sierra Trading Post in Reno NV, some of the consignment stores in CO(Denver, Salida, Silverthorne, etc), Portland OR, and Seattle WA you can find tons of low cost gear options. If you are a member of REI, some of their gear closet clean outs can score you oodles of early to the party gear deals too.

Wise Old Owl
03-19-2013, 18:50
+1 Walmart- hunter sport area - polypro

Dogwood
03-19-2013, 18:51
Oh, forgot about some places along the PCT in Cali too. Might not all apply to one's current situation but might be useful if placed on the back burner to be taken advantage of later!

Dogwood
03-19-2013, 18:54
For your start date, cheapy silk wt nylon running gloves is probably fine. Can be had lots of places. Even think of some gloves sold like that at Ace Hardware, Lowes, and Home Depot like in the garden and hardware departments. Don't have to be expensive.

The Ace
03-19-2013, 19:14
Hey guys,

i am going to leave for the app trail in less than a month (apr 15). The only thing I need left to get is a cheap pair of hat and gloves. I realize I'm starting rather later in the season...do you think I even need a hat and gloves?

Yes, cold hands can be agonizing. Recommend getting a hat that will cover your ears .

Dogwood
03-19-2013, 23:44
C'mon, Popnfrsh24 fess up. The real reason why you want "a super cheap pr of gloves and hat and not want to waste money" is because you are traveling to the AT starting out from under an I 70 bridge in Indianapolis to the AT and have a total $300 to hike! Where do you come up with Popnfrsh24 too? Not Popnfrsh but Popnfrsh24. What, was the trail name Popnfrsh already taken so you had to go with Popnfrsh24? I've met some REAL FRUGAL folks including hikers in my time BUT NEVER were ANY OF THEM concerned about WASTING MONEY on TOO expensive pr of gloves and hat! You're SUSPECT!

Special K
03-20-2013, 00:58
These are on clearance. Good Luck. http://www.campsaver.com/pl-150-gloves-men-s

Popnfrsh24
03-20-2013, 03:39
C'mon, Popnfrsh24 fess up. The real reason why you want "a super cheap pr of gloves and hat and not want to waste money" is because you are traveling to the AT starting out from under an I 70 bridge in Indianapolis to the AT and have a total $300 to hike! Where do you come up with Popnfrsh24 too? Not Popnfrsh but Popnfrsh24. What, was the trail name Popnfrsh already taken so you had to go with Popnfrsh24? I've met some REAL FRUGAL folks including hikers in my time BUT NEVER were ANY OF THEM concerned about WASTING MONEY on TOO expensive pr of gloves and hat! You're SUSPECT!

...I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, or if you're just kind of a dick. I have no idea what point you are trying to make either.

i want a super cheap pair of gloves because yes, I am frugal. Why spend more money than you need to?

Lone Wolf
03-20-2013, 05:41

...I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, or if you're just kind of a dick. I have no idea what point you are trying to make either.

i want a super cheap pair of gloves because yes, I am frugal. Why spend more money than you need to?
he's posting under the influence...

rocketsocks
03-20-2013, 06:36
he's posting under the influence...

You can get a
Posting
Under
Influence
for that, very dangerous

Another Kevin
03-20-2013, 08:45
I buy cheapo waterproof ski gloves at the thrift store or Target or Ocean State Job Lot - because I'm always losing gloves. The big problem with them is that they never get dry after your hands sweat in them - and they stink forever after that - so I pair them with polypro glove liners that I got for a few bucks on clearance at EMS. The wicking fabric keeps them a lot drier. I think that wearing gear like that on the trail makes me look like a clueless weekender, but it works for me.

For late April in the South, the glove liners alone would most likely work.

Mags
03-20-2013, 09:37
Besides the excellent idea of the surplus store ($10 or less fleece watch cap, $4 gloves!) is to check out the big box stores like Sports Authority or Dick's. All their winter gear is on clearance right now.

fredmugs
03-20-2013, 09:58
Wool gloves do not sound like a good idea to me. I use a cheap pair of gardening gloves that have a tacky front that helps gripping the poles. Downside is on a cold rainy day they are practically useless.

Mags
03-20-2013, 10:16
Wool gloves do not sound like a good idea to me.

Wool liners and a shell mitt are what I use for all 4 seasons. :)

Dogwood
03-20-2013, 11:11

Popnfrsh24, c'mon laugh it off. I'm messin with you a bit. Man up. We can beat this to death. You've received, what maybe a dozen good ideas already, in response to finding your cheap gloves and hat question. How many of those potentially good ideas did I already offer? You can't roll with any of those ideas?:rolleyes: What do you want from us, to write a book on it? Just how cheap do you think you are going to get these apparel pieces. What, for free? Indy, has goodwiill/thrift/army surplus/Walmart stores. Stop whining. Go to those places and start checking out the inventory. Serious, if you are that much of a tight wad or lack sufficient funds to buy or perhaps get some free hat and gloves at any of those places, for what to be needed for perhaps a month on the AT given your late start date, what's your hike going to come down to? Serious, IF YOU ARE THAT CASH STRAPPED that you can't SPLURGE or work something out at goodwill/thrift/consignment/army surplus stores/Walmart what is that telling us? Hence, the ribbing. Go get it done. Really, given what you want to do and the manner in which you want to do it, PERHAPS, this isn't all that BIG of an issue. Get it done. You don't need the perfect gloves and hat to go hiking. Going hiking on the AT is the main goal! Move on to BIGGER things in your AT planning.

Dogwood
03-20-2013, 11:47
I've donated hrs at Goodwill and the Salvation Army thrift outlets. On multiple occasions, as a result of me volunteering my time(like an hr or two), they have given me store credit or further discounts on already SUPER CHEAP stuff to buy whatever I wanted. I bought a homeless person a decent usable $30 bicycle with one of my credits this way. Helped him hold down a job and paved the way for him to get off the streets. Pretty cool, huh? These are noble win win win situations for everyone. These are GOOD CAUSES and in the process can score you some gear or other usable stuff. Can make you feel good too when you are giving back or helping those perhaps less fortunate than yourself! What do you think is OFTEN going on in the minds with AT Hostelers, AT Trail Angels, getting hitches on an AT hike, AT Trail Magic, etc? This proposal is a way to possibly "GET IT" when people along the AT will be DOING THESE THINGS FOR YOU on your hike. SO, if you are REALLY cash strapped and still want SUPER CHEAP, meaning no do re mi out of your own pocket, this another constructive thought. Not willing to explore any of these SUPER CHEAP ideas further you are on your own as far as any more constructive ideas from me. Suppose I was being a dick with all those ideas too?

Popnfrsh24
03-20-2013, 12:14
Wow dude...i think you just need to chill out. People are willing to give advice, so I'm willing to ask and listen. And thank you for all of your guys advice. Thats what amazes me about this community, I ask a simple question about gloves and i get 30 responses.

The Ace
03-20-2013, 12:22
Wow dude...i think you just need to chill out. People are willing to give advice, so I'm willing to ask and listen. And thank you for all of your guys advice. Thats what amazes me about this community, I ask a simple question about gloves and i get 30 responses.
Thirty different responses. So glad that we could narrow it down for you.