PDA

View Full Version : Does all this Info Help or Hurt us having a great hike!

Many Moons
03-19-2013, 11:45
Just wondering if all this info we all want to gather before our hike helps or hurts us making the most of our hike? I wonder if this takes away from our adventure? This is a great site to come to to get info and get stoked on the coming hikes, not discounting WB. Just thinking if I did not plan so much from the miles I am going to do to how many meals I'll pack between stops, would just packing the backpack and hitting the trail be more fun? Are we overdoing it with Maps, Spots, Blogs, Laptops, Resupply list points, Cell Phones, and gathering every bit of info we can gather??? Hike On!!!

Miller

aficion
03-19-2013, 11:49
Just wondering if all this info we all want to gather before our hike helps or hurts us making the most of our hike? I wonder if this takes away from our adventure? This is a great site to come to to get info and get stoked on the coming hikes, not discounting WB. Just thinking if I did not plan so much from the miles I am going to do to how many meals I'll pack between stops, would just packing the backpack and hitting the trail be more fun? Are we overdoing it with Maps, Spots, Blogs, Laptops, Resupply list points, Cell Phones, and gathering every bit of info we can gather??? Hike On!!!

Miller

Good question. Wish I had a good answer. I love an adventure and will sometimes pull off the road and start walking.
Course I'm not out for months or even days when I do. A good balance for one might seem way tilted to another. Meeting all types is one of the great things about the trail/ and WB.

Old Hiker
03-19-2013, 12:02

Miller

Depends on your level of experience to begin with, I would think. I didn't take/ am not taking next time many electronics. I've pared down my weight, based on recommendations + my own research. I didn't take too much at face value here, especially after lurking for a while.

Lots of money, plus the wife's permission, helped lighter gear choices. 500 miles (497 actual) experience LONG distance hiking helped, as well.

I know my planning is going to be a bit better next time.

tiptoe
03-19-2013, 12:02
I think it helps. You need to determine what is information and what is opinion. And when you read opinions, consider the source, and also consider that "your mileage may vary."

max patch
03-19-2013, 12:09
Earl wrote in his autobiography that he never could have done the first thru hike without the help of WB and his electronics. Or the roadside trail feeds.

BrianLe
03-19-2013, 12:14
Perhaps it depends most on your personality/style. Planning ahead certainly didn't impact my enjoyment any, but I think that others like (and perhaps pride themselves upon their ability) to just jump on trail and deal with stuff as it comes up.
I do think that your odds of success are maximized by doing at least a prudent amount of focused planning/prep, and then once on trail by being able to let go of the planning mode approach so as to be able to happily and flexibly adjust to whatever comes along.

Slo-go'en
03-19-2013, 12:30
Well, it was a bit more of an adventure "back in the day" when all you had to work with was the data book. You had no idea what was over the next hill and the only town info you got was ""G,L,M,H".

The internet and WB does provide a lot of info and advice, which is typically ignored if it is in conflict with someone's preconncived notions. I belive in a way WB is a danger in that it helps encourage those who shouldn't be out there to go and try. There have been several recent examples of that.

Sclark9082
03-19-2013, 12:34
I for one appreciate the experiences of others. I can't prepare if I don't know the whats, where, how, when..etc. Just because a person has a steady hand with a knife, don't make him a surgeon.

moldy
03-19-2013, 12:45
Learning things the hard way on purpose is foolish. When you enter a strange endeavor that could bring you un-needed pain and suffering it's best to arm yourself with knowledge.

fredmugs
03-19-2013, 13:00
Learning things the hard way on purpose is foolish. When you enter a strange endeavor that could bring you un-needed pain and suffering it's best to arm yourself with knowledge.

Then again coming onto this site to ask about the bear canister requirement in a certain section in GA, not carrying one, and getting your food stolen by a bear is even more foolish.

max patch
03-19-2013, 13:02
If you've ever done a five day hike then all the additional "planning" you need to do is a) buy your Companion and maps, b) figure out how to get to the trailhead, and c) figure out you first resupply point. Anything else is just enjoyment while you're waiting for the hike to begin.

Chaco Taco
03-19-2013, 13:17
Instead of typing out some long response, just go with this.....Well said. Its all about just getting out there...

If you've ever done a five day hike then all the additional "planning" you need to do is a) buy your Companion and maps, b) figure out how to get to the trailhead, and c) figure out you first resupply point. Anything else is just enjoyment while you're waiting for the hike to begin.

Prime Time
03-19-2013, 13:18

Miller
Information will never hurt you. What you do with it might.

Odd Man Out
03-19-2013, 13:26

Miller

It helps. From all the discussions, I have learned that I don't need to plan how many miles I will hike every day or how much food I have to carry. I know I don't have to have Maps, Spot, a Blog, a Laptop, or a Cell Phones (Of the things you mentioned, I would only take a guide book for resupply locations). I will pack cheese (lots of cheese!).

Many Moons
03-19-2013, 13:31
It helps. From all the discussions, I have learned that I don't need to plan how many miles I will hike every day or how much food I have to carry. I know I don't have to have Maps, Spot, a Blog, a Laptop, or a Cell Phones (Of the things you mentioned, I would only take a guide book for resupply locations). I will pack cheese (lots of cheese!).

Cheese is good.

hikerboy57
03-19-2013, 13:37
I'm planning to put all of 2 days.

aficion
03-19-2013, 13:58

Tend to agree.

Special K
03-19-2013, 15:31
Just wondering if all this info we all want to gather before our hike helps or hurts us making the most of our hike?

Miller

HELPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As a result of WB, I will hike lighter and smarter, will make better clothing choices, will know what types of foods to eat, how/where to sleep...the list goes on and on and on!

Cookerhiker
03-19-2013, 15:32

Miller

Those of us of a certain age who began backpacking before internet and a massive trail corridor infrastructure did just fine and enjoyed the hiking experience as much then as present times. Now I had the advantage of living near the ATC, reading early books like Ed Garvey's, having a local outfitter, being a member of a few hiking clubs, having proximity to Shenandoah NP - in other words, I took advantage of what was available at the time.

I finished the AT in sections in Sept. '05, having just joined WhiteBlaze the previous February when I first learned of its existence. I can honestly say that I didn't draw on anything from WB to finish my AT hike. But I'm not saying the "good 'ol days" were better - obviously having nearly 6,000 posts, I like WB and consider it a helpful resource. For one thing - something not mentioned in the OP - it's provided networking and contacts with other hikers not just to hear their experience but also eventually to meet in person and (gasp!) actually hike together. And although I'm not a gearhead, we all need gear of some sort and I've benefited from reading others' recommendations and experiences with gear.

Finally, I like the "Other Trails" forums very much - one can learn much about other hiking opportunities.

The answer as to whether the plethora of facts & figures helps/hurts depends on how you handle & process all the information - do you feel so overwhelmed as to be paralyzed with inaction or do you say at some point "That's enough - time to get going?"

Meriadoc
03-19-2013, 16:19

I also tend to agree with this. If you want to have fun, plan out your hike to the very last item. Then step on the trail and intentionally throw the plan out the window :). The freedom of the trail is one of its greatest assets.

On a related note, there were times that I wished I didn't have AWOL's guide - it was almost too comprehensive. But in the beginning, or for going quickly, it was very nice to be able to plan ahead.

Malto
03-19-2013, 16:56
Helps and hurts

helps - I did a massive amount of planning, mostly around resupply. This helped me because I had a fast schedule and the preparation allowed me to focus on the hike vs. living while on the hike. I will admit that I went overboard and could have done half the planning and prep and had the same result.

hurts - I think it hurts the average thru hiker because there seems to be a belief that you can get experience by asking questions on a computer. You get experience by going out and doing not by listening to 100 different conflicting opinions. Case in point. Rather than ask if it is possible to average 30 miles per day on the AT, go out and hike a couple of back to back 30 mile days. That will be much more enlightening. Rather than ask if its a good idea to drink a protein shake 10 times a day everyday on hike, go out and do it for a weekend.

Lets look at it another way..... Has the completion rate substantial improved since all this information has been available.

HikerMom58
03-19-2013, 17:10
Helps and hurts

helps - I did a massive amount of planning, mostly around resupply. This helped me because I had a fast schedule and the preparation allowed me to focus on the hike vs. living while on the hike. I will admit that I went overboard and could have done half the planning and prep and had the same result.

hurts - I think it hurts the average thru hiker because there seems to be a belief that you can get experience by asking questions on a computer. You get experience by going out and doing not by listening to 100 different conflicting opinions. Case in point. Rather than ask if it is possible to average 30 miles per day on the AT, go out and hike a couple of back to back 30 mile days. That will be much more enlightening. Rather than ask if its a good idea to drink a protein shake 10 times a day everyday on hike, go out and do it for a weekend.

Lets look at it another way..... Has the completion rate substantial improved since all this information has been available.

Great post, Malto... I don't think the completion rate has improved since all this information has been available. I think people may have made some wiser choices on what to buy and pack etc... They may have avoided making bad choices on many levels. Who knows? But like you said, you don't gain experience by asking questions. You just have to get out there and do it... see what happens.

After a while, everyone's opinions on things makes my head spin. I have to regroup- pick and choose what I like, then go with it.

Let me just say... I couldn't decide to hike 30 miles per day. I can't do it and I'm fine with that. I'd love to try some Malto. :D

RED-DOG
03-19-2013, 17:14
the info helps a little but it's best to go out and figure it out on your own.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-19-2013, 17:24
Information will never hurt you. What you do with it might.

Brilliant.

Dogwood
03-19-2013, 17:28
Does all this Info Help or Hurt us having a great hike!Good question especially for the most analyzed continuous long distance trail in the world I know, the AT. I don't think it's a question with an either/or answer though. It depends on how you define things and how willing you are to throwing things out or being adaptable once on trail. With all the info gathering and planning that can occur for any trail it's why I say being adaptable and flexible is one of the key assets one can bring to any long distance hike.

Dogwood
03-19-2013, 17:41
Helps and hurts

Yup! Solid comments in this post. Certainly would apply for all the speed hiking, high MPD, completing an AT thru with a $1000, hunter/gather/thru-hiking, not hike with a shelter wannabes, etc.

rickb
03-19-2013, 18:26

Miller

To my way of thinking, there was something really cool about hiking the trail with very little prep and precious little knowledge of the trail ahead, beyond what I learned along the way in registers and the Trail grapevive. But....

I really wish I had taken the time to learn something of the history and natural history along the trail before I set out.

Kookork
03-19-2013, 18:56
I started my first long distance hike without knowing about WB and to be honest with no experience regarding long distance hiking. I learned everything "as you go" style . It was an extremely sharp learning curve and came with some pain and endurance.

I was lucky that I had extensive outdoor experience from my previous hiking(short distant) and climbing and hunting and fishing. Did I enjoy my first clueless long distance hiking? Absolutely but I missed appreciating the beauty of the trail for the first half of the trail since I was struggling with unnecessary things.

Then I came to WB and last summer I went for another long distance hiking with decent knowledge mostly acquired from whiteblaze . I enjoyed my hike much more this time and I was more focused enjoying the beauty of the trail than tackling unnecessary problems,.

For me WB has been a bless . No hurt has come from knowing but I have been hurt from the lack of knowledge before. And the best part: I have been using the knowledge of the most experienced hikers for free.

It does not get better than this.

4shot
03-19-2013, 18:57
I read all the AT books and WB before my thru hike. I was one of those morons who set out with no backpacking experience. In retrospect, there is no amount of reading that prepares one for it. In fact, the information is confusing and contradictory. all one needs to hike the thing is the guidebook and a hard head. The rest of it...pack weight, best tent, should I do maildrops, filter or aquamira, tent or hammock is just entertainment and stuff to argue over on the internet.If you truly want to prepare for a 2200 mile hike, the best advice is to get away from the computer and get out and hike.

Lone Wolf
03-19-2013, 19:01
i'm glad my first walk on the AT involved no internet, books, videos, etc. way too much info nowadays. completion rates remain about the same though

4shot
03-19-2013, 19:17
the people I have repect for are the real oldtimers...those who went long distances without maps and certainly without guidebooks. I can't imagine leaving a creek or other water source with 2 or 3 liters of water and really not knowing if the next water was 5 or 30 miles away. I cannot get my mind around this aspect of LDH.

Odd Man Out
03-19-2013, 21:30
the people I have repect for are the real oldtimers...those who went long distances without maps and certainly without guidebooks. I can't imagine leaving a creek or other water source with 2 or 3 liters of water and really not knowing if the next water was 5 or 30 miles away. I cannot get my mind around this aspect of LDH.

John Muir's take on wilderness adventure planning:

"throw some tea and bread into an old sack and jump over the back fence."

Of course if you ever read some of his stories, you'll see he should have died 12 times over.

MuddyWaters
03-20-2013, 00:04
Learning from the mistakes of others, is easier than learning thru your own mistakes.

prain4u
03-20-2013, 00:13
The information helps--but it can also detract from the experience.

I find that I really appreciate the discussions regarding camping/hiking skills and techniques. I also like the gear discussions. Such discussions expose me to ideas, techniques, strategies and pieces of gear that I may never have heard of before. No person can possibly be an expert regarding all pieces of gear and know every possible way to pitch a tarp, hang a bear bag, cook some meals etc. Thus, in these discussions we can learn new things from each other.

On the other hand, with sites like WhiteBlaze, guide books, YouTube videos and thousands of online photos--someone can practically "hike" the entire AT without ever leaving their home. That takes some of the fun, adventure and surprise out of the experience. You can probably find a picture--or description--of every shelter, hut and privy on the AT. Pictures and videos exist of all the major scenic views along the trail---as well as pictures and descriptions of the trail towns and the notable people and places in those towns. Numerous people have posted time lapse videos of their hikes. It is sort of like reading a novel (or watching a movie) and someone is telling you how it ends--or what happens next. That can diminish the experience.

JAK
03-20-2013, 08:30
Doesn't really hurt because most of it all goes out the window as every hike is new and different. The only real downside to overplanning is if it keeps you from being active, dayhikes and weekends and stuff. Something worth getting good at is being able to bug out quickly, not so much for survival but just so you can get out for a hike on short notice before the best part of the day is gone or the motivation or opportunity passes you by. Done that too many times, spreading our gear just to pack it away again. I have gotten better, and food especially I can hit a grocery store and be in and out in 5-10 minutes whether for a day hike or a fortnight.

4shot
03-20-2013, 18:00
Something worth getting good at is being able to bug out quickly, not so much for survival but just so you can get out for a hike on short notice before the best part of the day is gone or the motivation or opportunity passes you by. Done that too many times, spreading our gear just to pack it away again. I have gotten better, and food especially I can hit a grocery store and be in and out in 5-10 minutes whether for a day hike or a fortnight.

gpood point. Going on a weekend trip used to be like planning the Normandy invasion for me. Now, I could be ready for another thru-hike in about 2 hours, including buying groceries. I can focus more on hiking and less on the "stuff".

fiddlehead
03-20-2013, 20:28
I travel a lot (at least I used to) and have found that I prefer not to know so much about a place that I arrive at.
I used to carry the Lonely Planet guides to all the countries I'd be going to and study them like a bible.
Not, I prefer to carry one that is 20 years old.
Still gives me the history, cultural differences (somewhat) and language basics, but the restaurants and places to stay are mostly all different.

The AT was best for me the first time, when I knew little about what was coming up (1977)
Everytime since then, I know too much to learn new things and dislike knowing exactly where I want to stay and eat in a town for example.

It amazes me why people would hike the AT over and over again without hitting some of the other trails out there.
But then, my son watches movies 4 or 5 times over and over again. (something I just consider a waste of time)

The less I know about a place when I get there, the more I learn from the people I meet. (and not from a guidebook)

Kookork
03-20-2013, 20:33
It hurts. This morning I woke up with a really bad headache. I figured out that was because I have too much info about AT in my head. Advil please!!!

Bronk
03-21-2013, 02:24
I don't think it takes anything away from the hike...if anything it helps you plan for the 'don't miss' spots. I remember sitting around a fire one night talking about the next day's plans. I hadn't paid too much attention as to where we were because I was never really thinking more than a day ahead. Anyway, the other two guys there were looking at a map and discovered a blue blazed trail that cut out several miles of trail...they were going to take the blue blaze in order to save mileage. I was considering it until I looked at the map and saw the words "Grayson Highlands" on it. I had heard about the wild ponies there before I started my hike and if I hadn't put two and two together I might have bypassed the area. Even if you know what's coming up next that doesn't take away from actually experiencing it.

RockDoc
03-22-2013, 15:56
I've read a lot of WB and then done big section hikes, up to 500 miles. It's always so obvious that the reality on the trail is so different from the buzz on the web. There seem to be a lot of neophytes or non-hikers posting here, and it gets confused with the good, credible info. I'm reminded of a 14 year old nephew who got interested in politics and took part in long, drawn out web brawls on various sites. The other posters had no idea they were arguing with a 14 year old.
Overall, WB makes you think that people are carrying a lot less weight, and hiking many more miles than they actually are. Also that more people are using alcohol stoves and wearing trail runner shoes. Those things do happen, but the reality that I found was far different and made me conclude that WB is virtual reality--not real reality.

Another Kevin
03-22-2013, 16:02
I've read a lot of WB and then done big section hikes, up to 500 miles. It's always so obvious that the reality on the trail is so different from the buzz on the web. There seem to be a lot of neophytes or non-hikers posting here, and it gets confused with the good, credible info.

Yeah, a lot of the advice on here comes from clueless weekenders.

Like me. :D

Overall, WB makes you think that people are carrying a lot less weight, and hiking many more miles than they actually are. Also that more people are using alcohol stoves and wearing trail runner shoes.

My pack is far too heavy by WB standards. I'm a snail, not nearly in shape to do big miles. I wear clunky leather boots, especially in the winter.

I plead guilty to using an alcohol stove. So maybe I'm 75% clueless weekender and 25% WhiteBlazer? :-?

TheYoungOne
03-22-2013, 16:34
I think it mostly helps but it hurts a little.

My first time going out on the AT was 6 years ago, before I became a member. I section hiked with a 44lb pack, crappy cheap boots, and hiked probably the 2nd most rocky part of the AT in PA. Needless to say, it was fun but grueling, and I seriously screwed up my feet. Since then I have learned a lot here on WB, and now I'm hiking 20 mile a day, and my pack weight is 20lb. WB has some great membert and most posters give sound advice. Even the newbies seem to catch on quick. Trust me I have seen other forums that have no clue, and thing a 44lb pack is lightweight.

Where it hurts is I think its a portal for more people to get more info on the AT, I hate to see it get more crowded.

SassyWindsor
03-22-2013, 17:45
I read lots of books and journals before, during and currently. If you're into feeds, then the web is the place to be. I only trust about half of the weather reporting I read on the web.

Dogwood
03-22-2013, 18:11
Brilliant.

Sounds kinda like, - sticks and stones may break your bones but words can't hurt you. Oh yes they can- words as well as information can hurt you.

Special K
03-22-2013, 19:34
Haven't been to other sites (other than trailjournals) so I don't know what kind of information is out there. But I think I speak for the majority when I say, we take away what we need, at the time, for our current situation. Lots of gold nuggets here. What is a gold nugget to me, may not be a gold nugget to you. I may read here for an hour and suddenly stumble upon a truly great idea I hadn't thought of.

So, it's all good!

Fur Queue
03-22-2013, 19:49
i will be responsible for someone else so It been a huge help to me, saved me a fortune...and saved me a ton of weight...I'm well pleased with myself that I didn't buy anything that the guy in the local outdoor store tried to sell me when I made initial enquiries about our hike...and it has given me confidence in the gear choices that I have made. Thanks everyone for that!

I have made a conscious effort to not look at any photos or read any journals though...I want to see and feel everything fresh through my eyes....and aching limbs... :)

Hairbear
03-23-2013, 12:05
the truth is coming here was very humbling to me . The things i was comfortable with were shattered in the preperation for the long trail.
Ive always been a woodsman/timber hobo,but what ive learned here has made me into a hiker.Thank you for all the input . The hardest student is one that thinks they already know the answers,what an eye opener reality is. You have cost me a fortune to improve myself ,and get to the under 20 pound range.
I will never forget the gift that your knowlege has made in my adventure of life. peace Hairbear

Kookork
03-23-2013, 14:30
Haven't been to other sites (other than trailjournals) so I don't know what kind of information is out there. But I think I speak for the majority when I say, we take away what we need, at the time, for our current situation. Lots of gold nuggets here. What is a gold nugget to me, may not be a gold nugget to you. I may read here for an hour and suddenly stumble upon a truly great idea I hadn't thought of.

So, it's all good!

Wow, I love your comment here.

Hoofit
03-23-2013, 14:41
take it all with a pinch of salt....
not too much now, that stuff can weigh you down
information , on the other hand, is light enough to carry you all the way up the mountain....

Many Moons
03-23-2013, 21:20
Wow lots of comments! Thanks, it is fun to read them. I am ready for the April hike with the hordes of people. See ya'll on the trail. Planning is over it's time to hike/walk. Hike On!!!

Miller