PDA

View Full Version : How to estimate shuttle costs?

Alleghanian Orogeny
03-19-2013, 12:41
Ladies and gentlemen,
I've perused the ATC's shuttler list in an effort to get an idea of what to expect shuttle services to cost along the AT. I fully realize there are a great deal of variables involved, including status as a particular hostel's guest, distance to/from the AT-road intersection to one's destination, general remoteness of the location, etc. What I am asking here is general information, rules of thumb, one might say, as to how I may estimate shuttle fees. From the ATC's list, for example, I've seen a few listings suggesting $1.00 to $1.50/mile. I'm all about capitalism and am fortunate to be in position to pay for shuttle services, so I'm not complaining whatsoever about fee structures. I'm just trying to get an idea of what the basis may be for charges for two hikers without backpacks (day hikers). Any thoughts or suggestions most welcomed.

AO

FarmerChef
03-19-2013, 13:35
I've typically seen $1 to $2 per mile for long distance shuttles, on the lower end for shuttles from a hotel, hostel, resort. Some charge by the road mile and some charge by the trail mile. Ones I have used have only charged per the car load, not per person so it paid to split the shuttle with other guys. Also, some charge the $1 but for 2x the mileage (especially if they have to drive out to pick you up and then drive back in the other direction to get back to their starting point. Others charge $2 for one way to make the math easier.

Hitching, where legal, is often free though it is considered polite to offer to pay (though most trail angels will refuse it).

This is just my experience. Your mileage may most definitely vary.

curtisvowen
03-19-2013, 14:21
Easy math.
Plan on paying $20/hr.
Home/destination/home for the shuttler.
15 miles in the "country" can take 30+ minutes to get there.
Can not do the per/milage thing. Doesn't work.
Ain't New York City.

flemdawg1
03-19-2013, 14:40
The only way to know what a shuttler will charge is to ask. I've seen enormous variance in what shuttlers charge for identical routes. There is no set fee structure and many small-time shuttlers, honestly put very little thought into what their actual costs are.

peakbagger
03-19-2013, 15:41
IRS rate is 55 cents per mile which is supposed to cover the cost for running and insuring the vehicle plus wear and tear, basically double the road distance required for the driver to go out and back and then divide by 50 MPH and figure $20 per hour for the driver.

The road distance can be a killer in some rural areas. I have a dayhike of Mahoosuc Notch in Me that I have run in the past. To hike 5 miles of trail requires about 150 miles of car shuttling. There are several other sections in Maine that are bad or worse as the "you cant get thar from here".

Seatbelt
03-19-2013, 15:49
The only way to know what a shuttler will charge is to ask. I've seen enormous variance in what shuttlers charge for identical routes. There is no set fee structure and many small-time shuttlers, honestly put very little thought into what their actual costs are.

Totally agree with this post---I have used several shuttles so far and it seems I can usually count on paying around $1 per minute on the drive--30 minutes=$30. I once shuttled 2 hours and it cost me $120. However, another time 2 hours cost me $90. It can be expensive if you are alone. Most will give 2 or more riders a break.

10-K
03-19-2013, 16:37
This is just me but my starting point is $1.50 per mile. I reset the tripmeter to 0 miles in my driveway and whatever the tripmeter says when you get out * $1.50 is the cost of the shuttle. Same price for 1 person or 4 people. I've been to the same places so many times I don't have to reset my tripmeter every time I leave the driveway but that's how I set my prices.

There are some variances, based on exactly where the drop off point is. For instance, Sam's Gap is an easy, quick run so I just do a flat $25 for an Erwin to Sam's Gap shuttle even though it's 44 miles round trip.

I have compared my costs to others in this area (Uncle Johnny, Bluff Mt. Outfitters) and am a few dollars cheaper on most. Another thing to consider is if you are riding in a well maintained vehicle with a driver that isn't a homicidal maniac. :) I've been shuttled in some sure-enough death traps and had a couple of marginal drivers... (I do have a late model vehicle and haven't had a ticket in over 30 years...)

Now the wrinkle is that I'm in the process of getting commercial insurance which is about $3k per year. I'm going to try it for a year to see if I can turn even a small profit.

I myself, section hiking the AT over a period of 2 years, spent a small fortune on shuttles but it's definitely worth it. Back in the day when gas was < $2.00 per gallon the going rate was $1.00 per mile. With gas bumping $4.00 per gallon at times $1.50 per mile seems pretty fair.

BTW, I also get what Curtis is saying. Erwin is slightly different in that it's right on I-26 and you can get to several popular trailheads without a lot of mountain road driving.

generoll
03-19-2013, 17:32
I'm with Curtis. plus a one time upcharge for off road driving.

Alleghanian Orogeny
03-20-2013, 07:48
This is all very helpful and I am grateful for the wide response. Hopefully this information will be of assistance to the general population of hikers.

The consensus I take away from this is that something like $2/mile, $20/hour, resulting in $20-$40 per shuttle trip might be considered a working average for relatively short runs from a shuttler's starting point to the shuttle locations and back to his/her starting point. Also that there may not be extra charges for a second passenger.

Thanks again folks.

AO

Wise Old Owl
03-20-2013, 08:13
Talk about a timely question.. If I was picking up at the Philadelphia Airport to the trail head is 93 miles... 2 hours one way but I have to compensate for the return and time too. So to take a group from the airport to the trail for me would be 186 miles and four hours... at a gasoline cost of $45 at $3.85 a gallon... If I go by Curtis post that would be $80. If I go by $1.50 as posted by the ATC = $139 or $34 an hour.

One shuttler on the ATC is $2 an hour.

curtisvowen
03-20-2013, 09:57
Well I'm stupid.
I can't put pen to paper so well but let me try this again.
I charge this....$20/hr. + gas.
If Wise Old Owl does a 4 hour road trip? Base price is $80. Then factor in gas. Old Owl needs $45 for gas. Gas + labor ='s $125. Hard to split that figure between 2 hikers. Round up or down.
If it's 3 hikers? Split the cost 3 ways. I'd charge either $120 or $150.
I'm a volume shuttler. Meaning I basically live in my van because I shuttle so much.
3,000 miles/year to Fontana Dam alone. Bring in the other shuttles I do?....Newfound Gap, Hot Springs, Erwin and all points in between?
When it's all said and done? Basically, my hikers are keeping the wheels rolling. The van is just a co-op. You hikers keep it rollin' for the next one that needs a ride.
Drop a transmission? I've gone thru 2 in the past 5 years. Gravel mountain roads eat tires. You're forced to buy the best tires in the long run. You leave at all times of the day. You miss your kids soccer practice. You shuttle on holidays and hope Grandma left you a drumstick in the frig.
I did a shutle today. Hired to go to Asheville, NC bus station. I charged $60. Takes 2 hrs. round trip of travel. Hiker changed their mind after I got close by and wanted to go to the Airport and rent a car to go home in. That's on the other side of town out in the sticks. I had to kick it around and go 40 miles round trip out of my way. That backed me up for the other shuttle that was tapping their toes wondering where I've been, hating me and life cause they're not getting onto the trail as promised to hike 4 hrs. to the next shelter starting at 10 a.m.
But I LOVE IT.
Sempir Fi

max patch
03-20-2013, 11:11
One shuttler on the ATC is $2 an hour.

In general I don't think most shuttlers charge enough.

But thats ridiculous.

RED-DOG
03-20-2013, 11:13
The best way to find out is to call one and find out, most of the time they all try to stay within the same price range.

Skyline
03-25-2013, 12:37
In general; but there are always exceptions...

•A true trail angel will do it for very little or nothing. Always offer to pay. Often available sporadically.

•An individual doing it to supplement his/her income may or may not have a set price, but will try to bring in enough money to pay all bills and have some left over. With today's fuel/maintenance/vehicle costs, figure at least about $1.50 per mile from pickup to drop off, or more fairly about 75 cents per mile from home to pickup to drop off and back home. In many cases limited availability.

•A business enterprise with multiple drivers and vehicles is going to usually be the most available. They should have higher-cost commercial insurance and vehicles that are more reliable (i.e., more costly). Figure about $1.00+ per mile from home base to pickup to drop off and back to base (or the next pickup, whichever is lower).

•An individual or business that includes shuttles with other offerings (examples: hostels, motels, outfitters, etc.) may be the best all-around choice. But during Prime Time hiking season they may be running almost 24/7 so you may need to be flexible.

One caveat: if a shuttle involves using slow-going unimproved or barely improved roads, or predictable sitting-in-traffic urban or airport congestion, expect to pay more.

IMHO, and based upon being a shuttle client while hiking but mostly by being in the "business" category early 2007 through late 2011, charging from home to pickup to dropoff and then back home is the only way a provider can be sure to cover all of his/her real costs and also make a fair profit. Even then, unanticipated issues come up to eat into that profit. In most locales, supplementing hiking clientele with other more local non-hiker business (runs to airports, medical centers, shopping centers, wedding transports, etc.) is necessary to actually make it a viable business operation.

Most shuttlers don't charge per person, but per trip. It costs almost the same to shuttle one hiker or five hikers. It behooves the hiker on a tight budget to find a few other hikers to share the cost of a shuttle. Most providers prefer to deal with one person for payment than to deal with each individual in the van...so it's best to pool your funds before getting in the vehicle.

A shuttler in any of these categories should expect to be able to quote you a firm price, or at least a narrow range of price, in advance.

redseal
03-27-2013, 20:00
My general rule of thumb is $2/mile. However, I have had some shuttle services that would not accept that much. In those cases, the cost came to around $1.50/mile.