PDA

View Full Version : How concerned are YOU with viruses in water??

MrMiner2
03-19-2013, 13:55
I have always used a .02 micron filter. So far so good. Have I been taking too big of a risk?

What all should I know about water treatment, backcountry, and viruses?

Thanks!

MrMiner2
03-19-2013, 13:58
I know it depends on location as well.

bfayer
03-19-2013, 14:03
As long as you are not getting your water from a source downstream from humans, viruses are not an issue on the AT.

Most of the AT water sources are either springs or streams that come from areas without significant human activity.

If you suspect the water has past through a farm or town, viruses could be an issue. Chose your water sources appropriately and filters are fine.

Lone Wolf
03-19-2013, 14:47
i'm not concerned at all. i never filter or treat :)

Prime Time
03-19-2013, 15:10
Some people do get quite sick from untreated water either because they were careless, or they didn't realize that the water they drank was contaminated from an unseen source upstream. I try and select clear, free running water whenever possible and I use a Steri Pen unit. No system of treating water is a guarantee but for 3.5 ounces of weight and 1 minute of stirring, I just want to reduce the risk.

MrMiner2
03-19-2013, 15:34
Some people do get quite sick from untreated water either because they were careless, or they didn't realize that the water they drank was contaminated from an unseen source upstream. I try and select clear, free running water whenever possible and I use a Steri Pen unit. No system of treating water is a guarantee but for 3.5 ounces of weight and 1 minute of stirring, I just want to reduce the risk.

Completely untreated or from .02 filter?

Tinker
03-19-2013, 15:53
Not at all. I use this:

http://generalecology.com/portablesystem.htm

MrMiner2
03-19-2013, 16:05
I guess general US backpacking.

MrMiner2
03-19-2013, 16:07
Not at all. I use this:

http://generalecology.com/portablesystem.htm

Huh? That does help against viruses. So you are concerned I suppose.

MDSection12
03-19-2013, 16:08
I never treat water that comes from a spring if it is at an elevation that I know to be above any significant human or livestock contamination... Any water that I can't get directly from where the spring comes out of the ground, or is at a lower elevation than I think is safe, I treat. So far so good.

SunnyWalker
03-19-2013, 16:27
I have always used a .02 micron filter. So far so good. Have I been taking too big of a risk?

Thanks! Not that concerned. I either filter (MSR Sweetwater) or use AM. No problemo! That is unless the source is without question a nice clean source!!! Then Ah jist drink up!!!!

Odd Man Out
03-19-2013, 16:36

Thanks!

I'm confused. A 0.02 micron filter does remove viruses, so what risk are you taking?

http://www.sawyer.com/sawyersaves/products-pointtwo.html

FWIW, in North America, I use the 0.1 micron filter. It removes bacteria but not viruses, and I don't worry.

Another Kevin
03-19-2013, 16:52
I take my chances with viruses.

Hepatitis-A - I've had the shots.
Polio - I've had the shots.
Coronavirus - Vanishingly rare.
JC virus (and other polyoma-like viruses) - Dangerous, generally speaking, only to the immunocompromised.
Norovirus, rotavirus - I carry enough bismuth subsalicylate and oral rehydration salts that I think I can manage to get off trail with no worse than soiled pants.

Bacteria and protozoa are another story altogether. So I filter (when I don't worry about the filter freezing), or boil or use AquaMira (when I do worry about the filter freezing).

MrMiner2
03-19-2013, 17:00
Yeah I meant .2 microns (not good)

Dogwood
03-19-2013, 17:03
How concerned are YOU with viruses in water?Viruses(not bacteria or protoza), U.S., not concerned.

Tinker
03-19-2013, 17:10
Huh? That does help against viruses. So you are concerned I suppose.

Viruses are rare, but they may be present, so I use a filter which has a small pore size to deal with protozoa, and which also deals with viruses, just in case.

Thus, I am not concerned (like many others, I realize that most backcountry illnesses are the same ones that you're likely to get at home - as a matter of fact, if you get sick in the woods it's just as likely that you picked up the bug from a town resupply or sharing another hiker's gorp, chips, etc.). There are two ways (at least) not to worry. Two of the ways are to:
1) Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best, or
2) Be like a crocodile and live in De Nile. ;).

Careful people don't need as much "luck", and they don't feel as foolish if they prepared the best they could and something still happened compared to those who begin an endeavor ill-prepared. :)

We all take chances.

How else can we enjoy life?

Just don't leave too much to chance.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-19-2013, 17:16
I'm hyper-concerned about any and all beasties in the water....I'll filter, I'll treat, I'll boil, and/or whatever else can an effective annihilator! Of course, I am immunocompromised, but I didn't start out that way! Expose yourself to enough in youth and you'll surely pay for it later! Knowingly risking illness by drinking untreated water makes no sense to me....but then 9 out of 10 times I'll forgoe putting on a seatbelt, so I guess I do get it to some extent.

Tinker
03-19-2013, 17:23
I'm hyper-concerned about any and all beasties in the water....I'll filter, I'll treat, I'll boil, and/or whatever else can an effective annihilator! Of course, I am immunocompromised, but I didn't start out that way! Expose yourself to enough in youth and you'll surely pay for it later! Knowingly risking illness by drinking untreated water makes no sense to me....but then 9 out of 10 times I'll forgoe putting on a seatbelt, so I guess I do get it to some extent.

No seatbelt?

But concerned about cooties in the water??

At least the cooties won't kill you instantly.

I almost lost a cousin when I was a kid because she was in a '60s car with no seatbelt in the middle. She is scarred for life, physically.

Don't go getting yourself killed. We need all the hikers we can find in RI. :)

Tinker
03-19-2013, 17:26
Teacher (my wife's occupation recently), or Snacktime -

Please..........tell us how your immune system became compromised (as a youth, I take it).

Thanks. Maybe we can learn something (or at least get to know you a bit more). :)

Teacher & Snacktime
03-19-2013, 18:16
Teacher (my wife's occupation recently), or Snacktime -

Please..........tell us how your immune system became compromised (as a youth, I take it).

Thanks. Maybe we can learn something (or at least get to know you a bit more). :)

I have Lupus, thus I don't know it's exact cause. I have theories, but they're only that....a combo of heredity and a misspent (but fully enjoyed) youth, the physical strain of having kids (4). Until fairly recently (last 15 yrs) I ate poorly, never slept, baked my skin in the sun, smoked (quit that 22 yrs ago), overstressed myself physically and emotionally DELIBERATELY, and refused to acknowledge any limitations. Today I have learned my lesson....so obviously I'm going to hike the AT...and I'll try to not be too stupid.

...and I'm working on the seatbelt thing.....

Tinker
03-19-2013, 19:45
I have Lupus, thus I don't know it's exact cause. I have theories, but they're only that....a combo of heredity and a misspent (but fully enjoyed) youth, the physical strain of having kids (4). Until fairly recently (last 15 yrs) I ate poorly, never slept, baked my skin in the sun, smoked (quit that 22 yrs ago), overstressed myself physically and emotionally DELIBERATELY, and refused to acknowledge any limitations. Today I have learned my lesson....so obviously I'm going to hike the AT...and I'll try to not be too stupid.

...and I'm working on the seatbelt thing.....

Small world. My aunt, the one who was driving the car in which my cousin was injured has Lupus - and she lived in Warren, RI until just a few years ago when my uncle passed away.

Keep at the seatbelt thing. Someone loves you. :)

prain4u
03-19-2013, 20:08
Many years ago, I contracted a case of giardiasis. Drank untreated water. I needed only minimal medical treatment. My hiking partner needed an overnight stay in the hospital and IVs. I am very careful ever since.

Ultimately, it is a HYOH issue. Some treat, some filter, some do neither (nor do they boil the water). Some people do all of the above. Wide variety of opinions on this subject.

I take precautions with water--because treating the water and/or filtering the water is significantly cheaper than a doctor visit or hospital stay--and it won't cause you to be off the trail for days/weeks while you are getting better.

Just my two cents worth. HYOH and "Your Mileage My Vary".

garlic08
03-19-2013, 20:30
Worried about viruses in water in the US backcountry? Not where I go backpacking. I don't drink water downstream of septic systems or pasture. On the AT, I was much more careful around the cesspool shelters and privies, and the filthy hikers I saw. I didn't even want to think of the pathogens on the shelter logs and writing implements. I'm no clean-freak (worked as a plumber rodding sewers for some years, and an EMT for some more), just realistic about risks and where people actually get their diseases.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-19-2013, 20:36
Small world. My aunt, the one who was driving the car in which my cousin was injured has Lupus - and she lived in Warren, RI until just a few years ago when my uncle passed away.

Very small state....the smallest. Warren is the smallest town in the smallest county ...and the lupus connection is yet another coincidence....spooky.
Most of my family and friends think I'm nuts to go off hiking the trail, but hey, I don't plan on living my life by not living.

bfayer
03-19-2013, 20:39
From reading the above posts it seems that some people might be confusing viruses with other water cooties. Bacteria and other cooties are an issue on the AT. Some people have resistant immune systems from either previous exposure or just good genetics, and get away with not treating their water, others are not so lucky and need to be more careful.

Viruses from most water sources higher up on the AT are just not a significant issue. In general people do not get sick from animal viruses, they get sick from people viruses. People viruses come from other people, so the further you get from people the less the risk. In fact you are much more at risk from reading the shelter log or sharing trail mix than drinking water from the spring. At lower elevations the risk goes up because of people upstream. For example poorly place privies on private property can contaminate all the water downhill . Also streams that pass under or by roads can be contaminated by people viruses.

There is only one commonly used backpacking filter that takes care of viruses, and that is the First Need. The others do nothing for viruses, but they all take care of bacteria which is what the most significant issue with water on the AT. They also take care of just about all the other critters too since they are all larger than bacteria.

I am pretty anal about water quality and I just don't worry about viruses from springs and streams that are on the uphill side of most people or farms.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-19-2013, 21:17
There is only one commonly used backpacking filter that takes care of viruses, and that is the First Need. The others do nothing for viruses, but they all take care of bacteria which is what the most significant issue with water on the AT. They also take care of just about all the other critters too since they are all larger than bacteria.

I am pretty anal about water quality and I just don't worry about viruses from springs and streams that are on the uphill side of most people or farms.

First Need, huh? Well, there's something new to check out. As for likelihood, why chance it if I don't have to. Like a diamond, a virus is forever.

bfayer
03-19-2013, 21:38
First Need, huh? Well, there's something new to check out. As for likelihood, why chance it if I don't have to. Like a diamond, a virus is forever.

Yes the first need by general ecology. Replacement filters are a little pricey and they are not all that compact but they do work. I bought my first one in 89, but not for use on the AT.

Now I use a steripen if I am worried about viruses or if I have to worry about freezing.

Sarcasm the elf
03-19-2013, 21:58
From reading the above posts it seems that some people might be confusing viruses with other water cooties. Bacteria and other cooties are an issue on the AT. Some people have resistant immune systems from either previous exposure or just good genetics, and get away with not treating their water, others are not so lucky and need to be more careful.

Viruses from most water sources higher up on the AT are just not a significant issue. In general people do not get sick from animal viruses, they get sick from people viruses. People viruses come from other people, so the further you get from people the less the risk. In fact you are much more at risk from reading the shelter log or sharing trail mix than drinking water from the spring. At lower elevations the risk goes up because of people upstream. For example poorly place privies on private property can contaminate all the water downhill . Also streams that pass under or by roads can be contaminated by people viruses.

+1 From the research I've read and my personal experience, waterborne viruses are not of any real concern. But exposure to viruses from human contact (or contact with human waste) are a real concern. No hands in the trail mix bag and wash your hands after reading the shelter log!

This is the one he's talking about, if you do decide to buy one, please post a review once you've used it for a season or so, I've always been curious how well it does for A.T. Hiking.

http://www.rei.com/product/767831/first-need-xl-water-purifier

Teacher & Snacktime
03-19-2013, 22:23
Yes the first need by general ecology. Replacement filters are a little pricey and they are not all that compact but they do work. I bought my first one in 89, but not for use on the AT.

Now I use a steripen if I am worried about viruses or if I have to worry about freezing.

I have a Steripen and Aqua Mira....are you saying that the Steripen is essentially the same as First Need? I've been focusing a great deal on making my water purification the best it can be, so any and all tips (other than telling me not to bother, because bother I must) are welcome.

bfayer
03-20-2013, 07:54
I have a Steripen and Aqua Mira....are you saying that the Steripen is essentially the same as First Need? I've been focusing a great deal on making my water purification the best it can be, so any and all tips (other than telling me not to bother, because bother I must) are welcome.

The steripen will deactivate most water cooties but not all, so no it is not the same. For example tape worm cysts are not killed by a steripen, but they are removed by all of the main stream filters including the first need.

You generally don't need to be concerned with tape worn cysts on the AT though.

Also the first need will filter out other stuff that most filters will not, such as toxic chemicals such as pesticides.

If you plan on drinking water from questionable sources such as larger rivers or streams that pass through farms, then the first need is a great choice.

A better option is to avoid questionable water.