PDA

View Full Version : Clif bars don't think s**t of hikers

IrishBASTARD
03-19-2013, 17:46
Had sent an email pertaining to a sponsorship request, from CLIFBAR, and got a short and ignorant no, they don't see HIKING as a "core sport" obviousl;y ignorance breeds from their HQ. Hiking for me is an endurance race, both mentally as well fittingly physically. Had spent my money, instead of buying little debbie last yr, spending it on CLIFBARS, who know deem me, and all of you hikers alike, non "core sport" wallets. Say Call the company batter them with email, but above all don't let them take our money, all the while they don't even see us as "core sport" athletes.

"
Hi Evan,
Thanks for taking the time to write us and for sharing a little bit about yourself. Thank you also for the kind words about the product - we really do appreciate it. I am sorry, but we do not sponsor folks hiking the AT or undertaking similar expeditions. We simply have too many requests for support and have to limit our support to a team of athletes competing in our "core" sports. Sorry – I hope that doesn’t push you to the Little Debbie’s.
I hope you have a great trip.
Thanks,
George
510-596-6574"

swjohnsey
03-19-2013, 17:48
Snickers if the official bar of the AT anyway.

Pedaling Fool
03-19-2013, 17:50
Guess you're going to have to get Little Debbies to sponsor your hike :D

10-K
03-19-2013, 17:51
Give Mountain House a shout... :)

Wise Old Owl
03-19-2013, 17:55
Can you ass pack a Little Debbie? They are like Twinkies right?

Rocket Jones
03-19-2013, 18:04
I don't see the problem. You asked for sponsorship and they said no. They're under no obligation to sponsor anyone, and are free to direct their money where they want to. I don't care for Clif bars anyway, but boycotting them over this is silly.

Sarcasm the elf
03-19-2013, 18:05
"Hi Evan,Thanks for taking the time to write us and for sharing a little bit about yourself. Thank you also for the kind words about the product - we really do appreciate it. I am sorry, but we do not sponsor folks hiking the AT or undertaking similar expeditions. We simply have too many requests for support and have to limit our support to a team of athletes competing in our "core" sports. Sorry – I hope that doesn’t push you to the Little Debbie’s.I hope you have a great trip.Thanks,George 510-596-6574"Personally, I think their quoted response is professional and perfectly reasonable. You asked them for a favor and they politely declined. Not sure what there is to be outraged about.

Tuckahoe
03-19-2013, 18:10
Had sent an email pertaining to a sponsorship request, from CLIFBAR, and got a short and ignorant no, they don't see HIKING as a "core sport" obviousl;y ignorance breeds from their HQ. Hiking for me is an endurance race, both mentally as well fittingly physically. Had spent my money, instead of buying little debbie last yr, spending it on CLIFBARS, who know deem me, and all of you hikers alike, non "core sport" wallets. Say Call the company batter them with email, but above all don't let them take our money, all the while they don't even see us as "core sport" athletes.

"
Hi Evan,
Thanks for taking the time to write us and for sharing a little bit about yourself. Thank you also for the kind words about the product - we really do appreciate it. I am sorry, but we do not sponsor folks hiking the AT or undertaking similar expeditions. We simply have too many requests for support and have to limit our support to a team of athletes competing in our "core" sports. Sorry – I hope that doesn’t push you to the Little Debbie’s.
Thanks,
George
510-596-6574"

Really? You are getting all bent out of shape over this? Good grief! I'll happily continue to be use their product, because my "I give a crap" meter just isn't working.

Dogwood
03-19-2013, 18:12
Easy IrishBASTARD. It may not be that the manufacturers of Cliff Bars are anti-hiking or down on hiking. Don't know all the details about how you approached them but it may be the manufacturer has other reasons for not complying with your sponsorship request. Take this from a fellow hiker, not all products, even some products that may be common in hiking circles, may be deemed right for a sponsorship related to hiking by the manufacturer. Really, think about this too. Is hiking as popular, possibly in the same league as say "core sports" such as football, baseball, basketball, possibly even mountain or road bicycling. You should realize the manufacturer has the final say in whether or not a particular sponsorship is to be granted or is a good fit for their product. By you getting pissy about your sponsorship application being denied it might say to that potential sponsor they made the right call in denying you.

HikerMom58
03-19-2013, 18:25
Well.. IB, I would encourage you to try to find another way to hike the trail .. Do you need a sponsorship to be able to pull off a thru hike? I commend you for trying with the Cliff Bars. Don't give up on trying other things.

Groomez
03-19-2013, 18:27
I don't see the problem. You asked for sponsorship and they said no. They're under no obligation to sponsor anyone, and are free to direct their money where they want to. I don't care for Clif bars anyway, but boycotting them over this is silly.

This all day.

max patch
03-19-2013, 18:29
I bet they's sponsor RoadSide. They've heard good things about him!

MuddyWaters
03-19-2013, 18:32
Companies sponsor people for the publicity. Not goodwill.
When athletes wear a sponsors logo, they are often paid based on the # of times that logo appears on TV, or in pictures in media, etc.
That is why the logo often appears on them from front, back , sides, etc. Its their paycheck. They can get $1000 or more each time that logo appears in media.

There is no advertising to be expected thru sponsoring an AT hiker.
If it was a legitimate speed attempt like Jenn Pharr Davis's, then possibly.

If your just a clown, then your publicity would could actually hurt them.
They only sponsor top athletes for that reason.

WingedMonkey
03-19-2013, 18:34
What kinda hike are you claiming this time?

Train Wreck
03-19-2013, 18:35
Companies sponsor people for the publicity. Not goodwill.
When athletes wear a sponsors logo, they are often paid based on the # of times that logo appears on TV, or in pictures in media, etc.
That is why the logo often appears on them from front, back , sides, etc. Its their paycheck. They can get $1000 or more each time that logo appears in media.

There is no advertising to be expected thru sponsoring an AT hiker.
If it was a legitimate speed attempt like Jenn Pharr Davis's, then possibly.

maybe if you offer to trick yourself out like a NASCAR ride :D

Tinker
03-19-2013, 18:39
I hope no one beat me to it, as I didn't read the above posts:

Hiking is not a core sport. In the eyes of the marketers it's a

Poor sport. (If they only knew how much we spend on our sport - especially FOOD!!!). :D

whatnot
03-19-2013, 18:41
I don't get this whole sponsor bit. If I need or want something, I buy it.....not beg for it.

Tinker
03-19-2013, 18:50
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon1.png

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Rocket Jones http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1443989#post1443989)
This all day.

Like, totally, dude!

Grow up. :rolleyes:

They're in business to make money, and you want them to give their potential profits to you. To what end? That You can Have What YOU WANT.

Whiners of America, unite? :-?

Wise Old Owl
03-19-2013, 18:54
They might sponsor Omarosa- she would do it... she climbs mountains...

Lone Wolf
03-19-2013, 18:59
I don't get this whole sponsor bit. If I need or want something, I buy it.....not beg for it.

me either. walkin' the AT is no biggie. thru-hikers are a dime-a-dozen

The Ace
03-19-2013, 19:24

So, I can sponsor twelve of them for ten cents?

My complaint with Clif bars is that they get rock hard in cold weather.

Wise Old Owl
03-19-2013, 19:26
Well the Ace ... when you ass pack they stay warm... just saying ..try not to fart.

jj2044
03-19-2013, 19:35
Irishbastard, maybe Roadside should try.

jj2044
03-19-2013, 19:38

HAHAHAHA i didnt see yyour comment before i posted mine, too funny !!!

Cookerhiker
03-19-2013, 19:46
Personally, I think their quoted response is professional and perfectly reasonable. You asked them for a favor and they politely declined. Not sure what there is to be outraged about.

Really? You are getting all bent out of shape over this? Good grief! I'll happily continue to be use their product, because my "I give a crap" meter just isn't working.

My sentiments also - can't improve on these.

Best response of all:banana

leaftye
03-19-2013, 19:53
So many reasons to deny the request.

1. It's not a sport. The competition on the trail is almost nil. Trying to find records of top times is scarce, where in any real sport there are good records, and some even have exhaustive comprehensive records.

2. It gets almost no attention. As a participant in what you think is a sport, how many well known hikers do you know of? That is, people that most dedicate hikers would recognize.

3. How many magazines are dedicated solely to long distance hiking? Is there anything like the Olympics or X-Games for hiking? What about a Boston Marathon?

4. You did a hike on Little Debbies. Obviously you don't need Clif Bars to hike successfully. As many trail journals show, neither do many other hikers.

5. Who are you and why should anyone care about what you eat? How many times have you had articles published about you or been on television because you're a hiker?

Lone Wolf
03-19-2013, 19:58

1. It's not a sport. The competition on the trail is almost nil. Trying to find records of top times is scarce, where in any real sport there are good records, and some even have exhaustive comprehensive records.

2. It gets almost no attention. As a participant in what you think is a sport, how many well known hikers do you know of? That is, people that most dedicate hikers would recognize.

3. How many magazines are dedicated solely to long distance hiking? Is there anything like the Olympics or X-Games for hiking? What about a Boston Marathon?

4. You did a hike on Little Debbies. Obviously you don't need Clif Bars to hike successfully. As many trail journals show, neither do many other hikers.

5. Who are you and why should anyone care about what you eat? How many times have you had articles published about you or been on television because you're a hiker?

like i say, it's just walkin'

Lyle
03-19-2013, 19:58
My complaint with Clif bars is that they get rock hard in cold weather.

My complaint with Clif Bars is that they taste like glued together sawdust.

swjohnsey
03-19-2013, 20:01

That's because they are glued together sawdust.

HikerMom58
03-19-2013, 20:02

Ha Ha!! True dat! But they can taste so good when ur on the trail!

The Ace
03-19-2013, 20:07
I wonder if there might already be a Clif Bar sponsor; seems to always be a box of them at the Hogpen Gap parking area. Of course, it may be the same box.

Dogwood
03-19-2013, 20:08
As someone who has been sponsored and assisted others to gain sponsorships it's not begging though it depends on how you approach it. If one approaches it with a begging mentality, trying to just get stuff for free, especially and/or without addressing to the potential sponsor(s) what you will provide for them it's not likely you are going to get sponsored. If you aren't mindful of that connection, present yourself like a clown who hikes(so aptly worded!), and the connections between the product, marketing, the sport/activity, and the person seeking the sponsorship not likely you will sponsored either. If you want better results think of it like this, you are selling yourself in exchange for something else, just like when seeking a new job. You have to distinguish yourself from the rest of the job(sponsorship) applicants to get the job(sponsorship).

garlic08
03-19-2013, 20:11
Early in my hiking days I tried something similar and the company sent me a form. One question read, "How many thousands of spectators will be viewing your event?" I threw the form away and never tried again. We're just not in the same league, face it.

I also think Clif bars suck. Look like turds, too. So sure, I'll boycott them. I always have.

Slo-go'en
03-19-2013, 20:12

Maybe he could get paid by the number of wrappers left along the trail?

But, yea, I can only imagine the number of people who try to hit them up for free cliff bars because they "plan" on hiking the AT or what ever. At least they sent a nice rejection letter.

fiddlehead
03-19-2013, 20:16
2 comments on this subject:
I hiked with a girl who was sponsered by clif bar in 1996, so they have done so in the past and probably revamped their sponsor rules for more spectacular events.

I own a company and 2 years ago was asked to sponsor a guy who needed some long underwear for his hike.
We sent him a pair (for free of course) and asked him to tell other hikers where he got them and our company name (Warmstuff.com).
And that we would give 10% off if they mentioned him or even a thru-hike in their order.
We got zero orders out of this.
Live and learn.

kayak karl
03-19-2013, 20:17
did you get a response back from Charmin yet?

HikerMom58
03-19-2013, 20:24
Early in my hiking days I tried something similar and the company sent me a form. One question read, "How many thousands of spectators will be viewing your event?" I threw the form away and never tried again. We're just not in the same league, face it.

I also think Clif bars suck. Look like turds, too. So sure, I'll boycott them. I always have.

I have never laughed so hard at a post before... this is sooo funny!! It's so cut and dry .... Hilarious LOL!!

Dogwood's #32 post is good advice, IB.

max patch
03-19-2013, 20:29

They already have Minnesota Smith as their spokesman.

Jack Tarlin
03-19-2013, 20:32
1. I don't think the Clif people did anything wrong here. 2. Neither do I think they are scornful or dis-respectful of hikers or backpackers. I don't buy or eat this product because I personally don't care for them, any more than I care to eat mocha-flavored bathmats, but to pretend that this company is somehow spiteful, evil, or hateful because they don't wish to sponsor someone's six month vacation is more than a little ridiculous.

FatHead64
03-19-2013, 20:45
They already have Minnesota Smith as their spokesman.

Pretty sure they sponsor some bears, too. :jump

Cookerhiker
03-19-2013, 20:49
I'm so glad IB started this thread - I've laughed so hard from most of these responses that it belongs in the "Humor" forum.:D

HikerMom58
03-19-2013, 20:54
I'm so glad IB started this thread - I've laughed so hard from most of these responses that it belongs in the "Humor" forum.:D

YOu and me both Cookerhiker!! Thanks IB!! :)

Odd Man Out
03-19-2013, 20:59
This is who you should get to sponsor you. They are wonderful! But I have a devil of a time finding them in the local stores. I fear they have been discontinued.

http://www.amazon.com/Planters-NUT-rition-Energy-5-Count-Bars/dp/B003VMY4KG

Papa D
03-19-2013, 21:00
Man - this sucks because I really like (and even rely on Cliff Bars). Long distance hiking for literally hundreds of miles gets me in better shape than any sport that I've ever participated in. Here is why:

Running - I run 3 or 4 miles, think I'm a stud, go eat a big lunch at the Mexican Restaurant, go home, sit on the couch, go to sleep - - no net benefit

Running a half marathon - - run 13.1 miles, rest, drink a beer, eat a big meal, congratulate myself, drink some wine, go to sleep - - no net benefit

Rock Climbing - hike and climb all day, drink beer and party at the campsite all night - - no net benefit

Hike 20 miles, eat a modest meal, drink water, sleep, repeat for 10 or 12 days on end - - LOTS OF BENEFIT - I come home feeling GREAT and I can run and climb
and do all those other fun things to maintain but long distance hiking is the foundation of good conditioning for me.

canoe
03-19-2013, 21:08
As someone who has been sponsored and assisted others to gain sponsorships it's not begging though it depends on how you approach it. If one approaches it with a begging mentality, trying to just get stuff for free, especially and/or without addressing to the potential sponsor(s) what you will provide for them it's not likely you are going to get sponsored. If you aren't mindful of that connection, present yourself like a clown who hikes(so aptly worded!), and the connections between the product, marketing, the sport/activity, and the person seeking the sponsorship not likely you will sponsored either. If you want better results think of it like this, you are selling yourself in exchange for something else, just like when seeking a new job. You have to distinguish yourself from the rest of the job(sponsorship) applicants to get the job(sponsorship). Good logic there.

canoe
03-19-2013, 21:09

Good answer......

bfayer
03-19-2013, 21:12
AT hiker wants free stuff.

The company does not want to give free stuff.

AT hiker bad mouths the company on the internet.

Do we need to wonder why they don't want to sponsor an AT hiker?

Biggie Master
03-19-2013, 21:22
How many of us give money to every "worth cause" that calls right at dinner time each evening? Not one of us They (Clif) have every right to politely say, "No thanks", which i belive they did. I don't particularly care for their product, but they owe you (or any of us) NOTHING. If you want sponsors, become an elite athlete who can help the sponsor sell more product - that's their angle. Nothing in life is free. I thought we all knew that.

Dogwood
03-19-2013, 21:39
I own a company and 2 years ago was asked to sponsor a guy who needed some long underwear for his hike.
We sent him a pair (for free of course) and asked him to tell other hikers where he got them and our company name (Warmstuff.com).
And that we would give 10% off if they mentioned him or even a thru-hike in their order.
We got zero orders out of this.
Live and learn.-Fiddlehead

There was a young intelligent pretty pleasant female hiker who I met and hiked with very briefly on our PCT thru-hikes. She was sponsored by the makers of Moon Pies. Her trail name was Moonpie! At some convenient key locations when she was resupplying a box of Moon Pies would be mailed to her to be given out to other hikers, generally other PCT thru-hikers. It was a nice thing to do and the makers of Moon Pies got some publicity out of it. How extensive, probably not so much though. Not only were individual Moon Pies handed out to other PCTers but through her sponsorship other hikers were offered discounts on Moon Pie orders. If I recall correctly, something in the neighborhood of 20%. I think, not too many PCTers took her up on this Moon Pie discount though. I think of this, and Moon Pie, every time I see Moon Pies being consumed and being sold in stores though.

My youngest brother who was a team Suzuki professional motor crosser had not only Suzuki as a sponsor but also several other sponsorhips. One, was Power Bars, when they first came on the market. I don't like power bars. Never have. He got some WORTHWHILE perks that I can't divulge but since he was named and seen on TV, in various national publications, and seen at BIG events where there were 1000's of spectators he did more than a little OK. Of course, being ever mindful how he presented himself in personal and public life, including ALWAYS being mindful of mentioning and offering gratitude to his sponsors was ALWAYS key in keeping sponsorships and paving the road for potentially new sponsorships. Same with mountain and road bicycling, supplements, shoe deals, clothing lines, etc. Even though he handled himself damn well as a young man, including being ranked in the Top 10 in various CC classes did he always get the sponsorships or level of perks he desired? no, but he NEVER whined about it and CERTAINLY NEVER badmouthed those who denied his sponsorship requests. I learned a few things from those experiences that have helped me apply and obtain a couple of sponsorships. I've offered some of what I've learned here on this thread. Want to know more, and you think you have the right stuff, including perspective, about possibly obtaining your own sponsorships, peruse Andrew Skurka's website. He did a nice short informative piece on it.

Kookork
03-19-2013, 21:48
Hi Evan,
Thanks,
George

Had sent an email pertaining to a sponsorship request, from CLIFBAR, and got a short and ignorant no, they don't see HIKING as a "core sport" obviousl;y ignorance breeds from their HQ. Hiking for me is an endurance race, both mentally as well fittingly physically. Had spent my money (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/#), instead of buying little debbie last yr, spending it on CLIFBARS, who know deem me, and all of you hikers alike, non "core sport" wallets. Say Call the company batter them with email, but above all don't let them take our money, all the while they don't even see us as "core sport" athletes.

They did not say hiking is or is not a core sport. They simply said it is not their core sport.

imscotty
03-19-2013, 21:53

My wife in the other room and down the hall wants to know what I am laughing at :) LOL

Biggie Master
03-19-2013, 22:14
I have to say, it's been a great week out on the trail. Our sponsors at WhiteBlaze have been real supportive. We had a good start this morning, and owe that to the good folks at Quaker Oats for the solid breakfast they served up. And I can't forget the Starbucks Via sponsor, they've been right there with us from the start. We really couldn't do it without them. You know, early in the day we struggled, but our crew adjusted the length of our Black Diamond trekking poles, and that kept us on the trail through some rough sections. As we got late into the day, our Solomon's really kept our feet loose, cool, and comfortable and helped us dig deep for those extra miles. We can't give enough credit to all the good people at North Face, Mountain Hardware, Zpacks, TarpTent, Sea to Summit, Snickers, ULA... I could go on and on, but you get the point. This was a team effort, and we're just proud to be in this position tonight, tucked away safe in our tent with our Ursak hanging high in the breeze protecting our MountainHouse dinners. It's been great! Thanks to all of my fans, and goodnight!

Train Wreck
03-19-2013, 22:17
I have to say, it's been a great week out on the trail. Our sponsors at WhiteBlaze have been real supportive. We had a good start this morning, and owe that to the good folks at Quaker Oats for the solid breakfast they served up. And I can't forget the Starbucks Via sponsor, they've been right there with us from the start. We really couldn't do it without them. You know, early in the day we struggled, but our crew adjusted the length of our Black Diamond trekking poles, and that kept us on the trail through some rough sections. As we got late into the day, our Solomon's really kept our feet loose, cool, and comfortable and helped us dig deep for those extra miles. We can't give enough credit to all the good people at North Face, Mountain Hardware, Zpacks, TarpTent, Sea to Summit, Snickers, ULA... I could go on and on, but you get the point. This was a team effort, and we're just proud to be in this position tonight, tucked away safe in our tent with our Ursak hanging high in the breeze protecting our MountainHouse dinners. It's been great! Thanks to all of my fans, and goodnight!

You forgot to mention the blowout you had coming round the fourth turn a half hour after eating the clif bar!

Mountain Mike
03-19-2013, 22:18

Only problem you'll have is after sewing all the sponsor patches on your pack it's weight alone is 10 lbs.

Biggie Master
03-19-2013, 22:31
20520 Forgot my favorite sponsor, Founders Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale! It really eases the aches and pains of a 20 mile day!

Kookork
03-19-2013, 22:37
I need a sponsor for my 2014 tru hike. The sponsor needs to send me one of these daily messages on my cellphone "You are doing great man" or " We are so proud of you" or "Your hike is inspirational ".

Train Wreck
03-19-2013, 22:40
I need a sponsor for my 2014 tru hike. The sponsor needs to send me one of these daily messages on my cellphone "You are doing great man" or " We are so proud of you" or "Your hike is inspirational ".

Ask your mom :)

Biggie Master
03-19-2013, 22:43
You forgot to mention the blowout you had coming round the fourth turn a half hour after eating the clif bar!
Right, thanks Train Wreck! So, thanks to Charmin, Wet Wipes, and Gold Bond for keeping me clean and dry after the blow out! And can't forget Purell for the hand sanitizer. TW - I need a new PR man for this AT gig. How about joining the crew?

Train Wreck
03-19-2013, 22:48
Right, thanks Train Wreck! So, thanks to Charmin, Wet Wipes, and Gold Bond for keeping me clean and dry after the blow out! And can't forget Purell for the hand sanitizer. TW - I need a new PR man for this AT gig. How about joining the crew?

You really need to give me a job description for what an "AT pit crew" actually does before I can answer that.

Dogwood
03-19-2013, 23:21
LOL. Some of these and the bit about Charmin had me spewing my sponsored STARBUCKS VIA all over the computer. Just imagine a hiker with a Starbucks patch on their pack. For real? I wonder if that would mean you can't admit you also drink Seattle's Best or Green Mountain brands coffee? Uh, Dogwood, I see you no longer hike with the Starbucks Via patch on your pack. What happened? Uhh, they caught me drinking Green Mountain Brand coffee. Said it was a violation of my sponsorship contract. They said hikers aren't part of their core coffee drinking market. Starbucks doesn't care about hiking. Ignorant SOBs at Starbucks HQ. Green Mountain. Green Mountain. rah rah rah :banana

Dogwood
03-19-2013, 23:25
Shart. Wait, can't complete this post. The phone is ringing. Yeah, hello. Uhh, gotta go. Green Mountain is on the phone. Honey, call my agent.

Mountain Mike
03-19-2013, 23:29
Still waiting to hear back from Long Trail Ale for my LT hike.

Train Wreck
03-19-2013, 23:35
LOL. Some of these and the bit about Charmin had me spewing my sponsored STARBUCKS VIA all over the computer. Just imagine a hiker with a Starbucks patch on their pack. For real? I wonder if that would mean you can't admit you also drink Seattle's Best or Green Mountain brands coffee? Uh, Dogwood, I see you no longer hike with the Starbucks Via patch on your pack. What happened? Uhh, they caught me drinking Green Mountain Brand coffee. Said it was a violation of my sponsorship contract. They said hikers aren't part of their core coffee drinking market. Starbucks doesn't care about hiking. Ignorant SOBs at Starbucks HQ. Green Mountain. Green Mountain. rah rah rah :banana

hobby
03-19-2013, 23:44
I bet they sponsor RoadSide. They've heard good things about him!

+1............

Odd Man Out
03-19-2013, 23:44
20520 Forgot my favorite sponsor, Founders Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale! It really eases the aches and pains of a 20 mile day!

OMG, you get that in SC? I find it is much better in the tap room at the brewery! Come visit GR sometime.

Special K
03-20-2013, 00:22
Personally, I like these: :D Just Kidding! But really, I just ate a CLIF BUILDER BAR. Chocolate Peanut Butter w/a cup of tea!!!

Teacher & Snacktime
03-20-2013, 00:43
Last year, Snacktime and I hiked across the State of RI to raise money for a local animal shelter (FB - Eddie's Challenge). We were going to make the walk anyway, but decided somebody should benefit from our efforts. Ed and I....I mean Snacktime and I walked all over our town and two adjacent towns to approach local business owners for sponsorship. We only asked for $10, and in exchange we would "advertise" on the Facebook page with a picture of Ed and the Business Owner and a blurb about the business, place in the community, etc. In 2 months he raised over $4,000. Now granted, these donations were all tax-deductable and for a good cause (many gave larger $), but we were told repeatedly that it was the personal touch that sold them. It also didn't hurt that we got some good press in the papers, radio and TV because of his age and the scope of his adventure.

So....my advice is....get a kid to do your begging for you like we did......NO, SERIOUSLY, be personal in your approach....Make and publicize a blog so that you can reciprocate with advertising...approach many for small amounts....contact your local newspaper as small town rags love to print what's going on with their "neighbors"... Check out Facebook's Eddie's Challenge (NOT the Applalachian Trail Adventure one) and see how we "honored" our sponsors.
Stick to small business rather than chains, and especially those who would contribute goods rather than cash. Grocery stores can be very generous. And try to not be hurt when they say no...it happens.

Good Luck.

Biggie Master
03-20-2013, 04:25
OMG, you get that in SC? I find it is much better in the tap room at the brewery! Come visit GR sometime.
they're always better from the tap! If I'm ever in GR, I'll try a fresh one.

yellowsirocco
03-20-2013, 06:53

We had Backwoods Bastard on tap in Charleston back before Christmas.

Mrs Baggins
03-20-2013, 06:54

Love it! I was just sitting here thinking that the closest I can come to describing the vile texture/taste of Clif Bars is "what crap would be like if it was frozen and had just started to thaw." Those and Power Bars - gawd awful textures/tastes.

rocketsocks
03-20-2013, 07:25

"
Hi Evan,
Thanks,
George
510-596-6574"

Irish Bastard, tell George that you've ate so many clif bars, that now you have Vertigo, maybe he'll flip ya some coupons!

JAK
03-20-2013, 07:38
They didn't sponsor you, but hey, they didn't break your guitar either. I would say you're even.

No company can, or should, sponsor everyone. When I sailed competitively, I paid my own way and I'm proud of it.
Take a guy like Peter Snell, and many more like him. Multiple Gold Medals. Zero Sponsorship. True Athletes.

Get the most out of your dream. Pay for it yourself.

JAK
03-20-2013, 07:40
... and Clif Bars suck anyway. Make your own.

bfayer
03-20-2013, 08:01
They didn't sponsor you, but hey, they didn't break your guitar either. I would say you're even.

No company can, or should, sponsor everyone. When I sailed competitively, I paid my own way and I'm proud of it.
Take a guy like Peter Snell, and many more like him. Multiple Gold Medals. Zero Sponsorship. True Athletes.

Get the most out of your dream. Pay for it yourself.

I am always amazed by people that expect others to pick up the bill for their hobbies. To each his own I guess.

By the way JAK, Doug Schofield says hi.

JAK
03-20-2013, 08:03
By the way JAC, Doug Schofield says hi.Awesome. Thanks for that.

Sclark9082
03-20-2013, 08:08
[QUOTE=Rocket Jones;1443989]I don't see the problem. You asked for sponsorship and they said no. They're under no obligation to sponsor anyone, and are free to direct their money where they want to. I don't care for Clif bars anyway, but boycotting them over this is silly.[/QUOTE

Totally agree with the above statement. well said.

Half Note
03-20-2013, 08:31
Everyone has some pretty levelheaded responses. Haven't seen a response yet from IB...

Wise Old Owl
03-20-2013, 08:47
Well he didn't get any warm and fuzzy posts... awwwe

gizzy bear
03-20-2013, 09:30

don't bother...my name is actually gizzy bear whipple... and i have cornered the tp sponsorship... my shirt reads " charmin... cares about s**t "

as for the response from the company... i thought the "little debbie" remark was funny... maybe not the most professional response...but funny :eek:

fredmugs
03-20-2013, 09:35
Hard to take someone seriously as an "endurance" athlete who eats Clif Bars.

fredmugs
03-20-2013, 09:39
they're always better from the tap! If I'm ever in GR, I'll try a fresh one.

I plan on being in GR next weekend for the KBS release party. :)

Seatbelt
03-20-2013, 10:12
don't bother...my name is actually gizzy bear whipple... and i have cornered the tp sponsorship... my shirt reads " charmin... cares about s**t "

as for the response from the company... i thought the "little debbie" remark was funny... maybe not the most professional response...but funny :eek:

Maybe IB was using Little Debbie's as a leverage--"I'll go to them if you don't..." Just sayin'

Hoofit
03-20-2013, 10:17
perhaps you could show a little more commitment - for example, you could tattoo your forehead with "Clif Bars are the best"....or, "I love Clif Bars / they even paid for this vacation"!!!

Or you could really "one-up" them and heck, Build a better Clif Bar!!!

Rasty
03-20-2013, 10:27
That's because they are glued together sawdust.

That is an insult to sawdust. Some species of sawdust have a decent flavor!

Mobius
03-20-2013, 10:29
Perhaps an AT-version of this Clif Bar commercial (which I think is hilarious): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk

All I can think of is some guy trying to haul up a bear bag with 40 lbs of Clif Bars in it.

I'm still cranky they stopped making Lemon Poppy Seed, though the White Chocolate Macadamia Nut is pretty darn good.

flemdawg1
03-20-2013, 10:44
Since Clif Bars showed a smidgen of common sense in not sponsoring this snotty begger, I think I'm going to go buy some.

broken arrow
03-20-2013, 10:51
just say your doing lots of sit-ups. that's all "core"

gizzy bear
03-20-2013, 10:58
Maybe IB was using Little Debbie's as a leverage--"I'll go to them if you don't..." Just sayin'

well that may have been the problem... clif bars are are more of a "athletic" food...little debbies are more popular with the moo-moo wearing crowd.... maybe they didn't take him serious :P

RED-DOG
03-20-2013, 10:59
Maybe he will respond as ROADSIDE. but seriosly you guys think i am being disrespectful.

gizzy bear
03-20-2013, 11:11
Early in my hiking days I tried something similar and the company sent me a form. One question read, "How many thousands of spectators will be viewing your event?"

uhhh...maybe 5 (if the creek don't rise and the stomach bug doesn't rear it's ugly head)... what marketing jeenyus wouldn't go with that !!??!!

MDSection12
03-20-2013, 11:14
I'd like to see IB post his email. I bet it wasn't half as professional as theirs.

BobTheBuilder
03-20-2013, 11:27
I know this is buried in a million comments, but I despise the mentality that other people (or companies) should give you stuff because you ask, and they are the bad guys if they say no. Get a job, make some money, buy whatever you want, do whatever you want. You aren't entitled to anything. Grow up!

Mags
03-20-2013, 11:32
All about their ROI.

Unless you are doing something at the Scott Williamson / JPD level, OR doing a relatively high profile charity hike (always good publicity), the chances of sponsorship are pretty slim esp from larger companies like Cliff Bar. Look at the sponsored hikers as an example. Even the higher profile ones are sponsored by mostly cottage gear companies or similar.

Interesting article that touches upon these points: http://andrewskurka.com/2011/how-to-get-sponsored/

Smithwick
03-20-2013, 11:48
I see nothing wrong with their response. They referred to "our core sports". They did not say hiking was not a core sport. They are free to choose which sports they support and which they do not. Just as you are free to choose what you eat. BTW, you did not post a copy of your letter to them. Also, at least they took the time to respond.

RED-DOG
03-20-2013, 11:56
Hey IB tell ROADSIDE to give Gummy Bears a call they might sponsor him.:-?

Cookerhiker
03-20-2013, 12:01
I'd like to see IB post his email. I bet it wasn't half as professional as theirs.

I wouldn't bet against you.

Cookerhiker
03-20-2013, 12:05
......little Debbies are more popular with the moo-moo wearing crowd....

And that includes "Katz," Bill Bryson's hiking partner - he was pissed when Bryson deliberately left the Little Debbies behind.

It's funny, considering A Walk in the Woods' notoriety, Little Debbie would probably sponsor Katz if he decided to hike the AT again.

perrymk
03-20-2013, 12:12
Whenever I hear sponsorship or something similar I always think of the gratuitous product placements in movies.

HikerMom58
03-20-2013, 12:22
I know this is buried in a million comments, but I despise the mentality that other people (or companies) should give you stuff because you ask, and they are the bad guys if they say no. Get a job, make some money, buy whatever you want, do whatever you want. You aren't entitled to anything. Grow up!

Ok.. that's a great pep talk--- in a perfect world. That would mean that everyone is capable of "putting their nose to the grindstone" and living life to the fullest.

I know there are plenty of people out there that feel entitled and are just plain lazy. They should not be coddled. There are a lot of people that refuse to help themselves. No argument there.

However,there are a lot of hurting people that need encouragement and a helping hand. Life happens. People get pushed down. Sometimes people make life choices, for themselves, that puts them in a bad place. Sometimes not.

We like to accuse the leaders of our country of living in a bubble. That may be true. I feel a lot of Americans live in a simular bubble.

I would never want to be accused of "painting with too broad of a brush."

Biggie Master
03-20-2013, 12:45
Ok.. that's a great pep talk--- in a perfect world. That would mean that everyone is capable of "putting their nose to the grindstone" and living life to the fullest.

I know there are plenty of people out there that feel entitled and are just plain lazy. They should not be coddled. There are a lot of people that refuse to help themselves. No argument there.

However,there are a lot of hurting people that need encouragement and a helping hand. Life happens. People get pushed down. Sometimes people make life choices, for themselves, that puts them in a bad place. Sometimes not.

We like to accuse the leaders of our country of living in a bubble. That may be true. I feel a lot of Americans live in a simular bubble.

HM you are correct that sometimes "life happens". And in life there are resources for those folks who need a helping hand in life, but anyone who is capable of an AT hike is capable of flipping enough burgers to support their own walk. An AT hike is not a constitutional right, and its no ones responsibility except the hiker. I've learned to accept what is within my means, and if I can't afford to do certain things in life, I have two choices: 1) sacrifice and save for the luxury, or 2) accept that I can't have everything I want and realize how blessed I am to have what I need.

bfayer
03-20-2013, 12:46

HMKD, I think you misunderstood him. I could be wrong but he said "should give", as in "required to give". I don't think he intended it to come across as not having a responsibility to help those that can't help themselves, I took it as more like not having a responsibility to help people that won't help themselves.

Of course we should help people that need help, but I feel no obligation to help people that really don't need help, but just want free stuff.

If I am wrong about my interpretation, I am sure BTB will set me straight.

MDSection12
03-20-2013, 12:57
HMKD, I think you misunderstood him. I could be wrong but he said "should give", as in "required to give". I don't think he intended it to come across as not having a responsibility to help those that can't help themselves, I took it as more like not having a responsibility to help people that won't help themselves.

Of course we should help people that need help, but I feel no obligation to help people that really don't need help, but just want free stuff.

+1

Just read his post in the context of this thread, not in such a broad way, and it makes perfect sense.

prain4u
03-20-2013, 13:35
From time-to-time I read of people seeking sponsors for a hike. Frankly, the sheer audacity of most of these requests amazes me. GENERALLY, the requests are nothing more than outright begging for free stuff or asking for cash donations to enable them to go hiking. It was all about what the hiker could get for free--and not at all about how such a donation could also benefit the sponsor. Such an approach is pretty tacky--in my opinion. There needs to be something in it for the sponsor. Otherwise, why would a person or company want to sponsor you?

If you are not SINCERELY promoting it from the perspective of how the donation can benefit BOTH the hiker AND the potential sponsor--then let's call it what it really is--BEGGING and/or BEING A FIRST CLASS MOOCH OR LEECH. Such people bring discredit and bad publicity to the broader hiking community--and other hikers would do well to shun them and avoid them.

Bucketfoot
03-20-2013, 13:37
Nobody is entitled to be sponsored for their hike unless they are doing it for a charity. If you can hike you can certainly work to pay for it. I.B. I hope you are just stirring the pot here but I am afraid you might be real.

Lone Wolf
03-20-2013, 13:42

what's this got to do with beggin' for freebies from a big company for your vacation?

bfayer
03-20-2013, 13:52
Nobody is entitled to be sponsored for their hike unless they are doing it for a charity. If you can hike you can certainly work to pay for it. I.B. I hope you are just stirring the pot here but I am afraid you might be real.

Charity or not they are still not entitled.

HikerMom58
03-20-2013, 14:01

I understand that, bfayer. You are completely right, in what you are saying. I don't know anything about a particular person's life or situation, so I can't say that my post wouldn't apply to this thread. It may not apply to this thread at all. IDK.

+1

Just read his post in the context of this thread, not in such a broad way, and it makes perfect sense.

I don't know how to say this... I'll try.... the more "out there" people come across, the more slack one might cut them until there's full understanding.

While this thread has made me laugh, till it hurts, it also has a feeling of being back on an elementary school playground. I'm just not sure how to read it all. I may be extremely gullible. I'm just not sure what to make of it. I may have missed some things as well. I have limited understanding about "Roadside." There are many things to be considered here.... I don't want to go there.....It's none of my business.

Chuckie V
03-20-2013, 14:08
This has been a fun thread for me to follow. I've been a professional athlete almost my entire adult life and now earn my living coaching and representing other such athletes. The OP's response to a simple "no thanks" is precisely what we see in the endurance world all the time: rejection leading to attack. Had he understood the use of the word 'core' and a little about sponsorship and marketing, he would have been better served by responding to Clif-Bar with a simple thanks, and then moved on to another company.

But he went on the attack and made all thru-hikers look bad, or attempted to, anyway. I myself have been backed by Clif-Bar in the past, even for a thru-hike (PCT, '06) and the reason they agreed was because I wrote extensively and had the potential for a huge readership (which I ultimately had in the end), not because I wanted free stuff or felt entitled to it. This sense of entitlement is extraordinary in this day and age, but it only causes more grief and harm, as we see here. I would like to know how the OP felt he'd benefit Clif-Bar (or any other company)...how he'd increase their publicity and thus, their sales. That's the bottom line for ALL companies, as he should have known.

bfayer
03-20-2013, 14:12
I understand that, bfayer. You are completely right, in what you are saying. I don't know anything about a particular person's life or situation, so I can't say that my post wouldn't apply to this thread. It may not apply to this thread at all. IDK.

I don't know how to say this... I'll try.... the more "out there" people come across, the more slack one might cut them until there's full understanding.

While this thread has made me laugh, till it hurts, it also has a feeling of being back on an elementary school playground. I'm just not sure how to read it all. I may be extremely gullible. I'm just not sure what to make of it. I may have missed some things as well. I have limited understanding about "Roadside." There are many things to be considered here.... I don't want to go there.....It's none of my business.

HMKD, like I have said before, the world is better place because of people like you. Don't change for anyone.

This whole "I deserve free stuff" mentality just gets old after awhile, that's all some of us on here are trying to say.

I have no doubt even the grumpiest of us on here would give the shirt off our back to anyone that needed it more than we did, and probably have, but would never admit it :)

Odd Man Out
03-20-2013, 15:27
I plan on being in GR next weekend for the KBS release party. :)

That's right. I'm not a huge fan of big stouts, but this is such an event, I figure I should try it. GR=Beer City USA!

Tundra
03-20-2013, 15:38
Clif-bar sponsored me and Hike for Hope 2001. 1.) We were raising money and awareness for OxFam America. 2.) we walked from Key West, FL to Cap Gaspe, Quebec, Canada. 3.) there were six of us and at that time no group or female had been known to complete that hike. 3.) we had numerous sponsors backing us, so we could say that Kelty, Lowe Alpine, New Balance etc. are also supporting us. 4.) We had a beautiful, interactive website to attract followers and display our sponsors. 5.) We had brochures with our mission, website and sponsors to both promote our cause and sponsors. 6.) Everytime we made news; local, state and national we thanked our sponsors. We would send our sponsors copies of news paper articles in which we had mentioned their company and contribution directly. We ended up getting about 50 sponsors. We were rejected time and time again. Lowe Alpine caved and sent packs days before our departure. We took a stance of "you'd be crazy to miss this opportunity." We formed relationships with company reps. 7.) We were doing something for the good of humanity and we were doing something that had never been done before. 8.) I would never do it again. Now days its on my dime and about me. It was a great experience; it changed my life and the i'll always cherish the memories.

Dogwood
03-20-2013, 16:23
Throw in a campfire, some alchohol, and all the opinionated WBers and that's the making for a heated brawl. :)

....accept that I can't have everything I want and realize how blessed I am to have what I need. - Biggie Master

Sounds like you've been listening to some Sheryl Crowe "It's not about getting what you want. It's about wanting what you have."

Actually, IMO, lots of satisfaction, solid work ethics, and gratitude expressed in your statement. That's always good.

prain4u
03-20-2013, 16:28

HikerMom: I think the OP clearly displayed an entitlement attitude. Therein lies the problem (from my perspective).

Ultimately, I have very little problem with someone asking for help. It is not a "sin" to be poor, nor is it a "sin"to ask if people will perhaps help you. It this instance, it is the OP's sense of "entitlement" (and wanting something for nothing) which I find offensive. In this current case, the OP asked a favor of the makers of CLIFF Bars. The makers of CLIFF Bars politely refused the OP's offer. If it all ended there--I would have no problem--with either the OP or CLIFF.

HOWEVER, the OP didn't graciously accept the "no" answer from CLIFF. The OP became angry with CLIFF. The OP then goes on WhiteBlaze and criticizes CLIFF--and encourages people to bombard CLIFF with calls and emails. That sort of BEHAVIOR, is what (to me) seems to indicate a significant sense of entitlement on the part of the OP. Such behavior also (potentially) gives people a bad impression of the hiking community.

Needing a helping hand is not a crime nor is being "in need" a reason to be ashamed. HOWEVER, behaving like a jerk when people politely tell you "no", is completely inexcusable.

Many years ago. I was poor and REALLY needed to replace most of my older and heavy hiking gear and hiking clothing. I will freely admit that I contacted many companies looking for ASSISTANCE (not sponsorship). I admitted to the companies my poor financial condition and asked them if they had any special sales, "scratched and dented" gear, returned items, outdated gear (etc.)--that they were trying to get rid of at a reduced price(or if they were looking for testers for their gear). The company would benefit by getting rid of excess inventory that was perhaps difficult to sell (or they would benefit by getting someone to test new gear). I would benefit by getting a great deal on the price of a piece of gear which was imperfect or slightly used.

I was indeed able to get some great BARGAINS in this way. I PURCHASED some scratched/dented or returned stuff (at bargain basement prices). I purchased one item that had been a display or "sample" item. Another company permitted me to purchase gear (during a few month window of time) at the same discount that they give their employees--but it was still a PURCHASE--not a freebie. One company did send me a relatively low priced piece of gear FREE OF CHARGE--on the condition that I use it for a specified period of time and write a review/report for them (which I did). Many companies told me--"no thanks". I was not angry with ANY such company and I never bashed them.

Being poor and politely inquiring about BARGAINS is far different than (possibly) being poor and becoming ANGRY (and publicly bashing a company) when a company politely refuses to give you freebies. It was the OPs attitude which was the issue.

Monkeywrench
03-21-2013, 09:04
Really? You're whining because they wouldn't give you free food? Grow up.