PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrated Corn Beef

BigRing
03-19-2013, 20:02
I read a post earlier about dehydrating corned beef from a can. I purchased a can and mashed up thecontents and mixed it with a curing agent to retard bacterial growth. Placed it on parchment paper in my dehydrator for a couple hours, let cool, and into vacuum packed bags. It does rehydrate well.....gonna try it out.

Wise Old Owl
03-19-2013, 20:05
Well this is anticipation.. cant wait for your notes.

rocketsocks
03-19-2013, 20:16
I'll subscribed.

WingedMonkey
03-19-2013, 20:17
I read a post earlier about dehydrating corned beef from a can. I purchased a can and mashed up thecontents and mixed it with a curing agent to retard bacterial growth. Placed it on parchment paper in my dehydrator for a couple hours, let cool, and into vacuum packed bags. It does rehydrate well.....gonna try it out.

A couple of hours for anything seems like short drying time?

gunner76
03-19-2013, 22:36
A couple of hours for anything seems like short drying time?

Agreed, sounds like way too little time. Most times I find it take about 10-12 hours to dehydrate most stuff I make.

Also need to remember that fat does not dehydrate and can/will go rancid so I would not recommend storing very long before using.

Dogwood
03-19-2013, 23:01
In my own ignorant opinion I too can only say as Jim Carrey in DUMB AND DUMBER said when receiving the reply from his question "What's the soup De Jour? Uhh, the soup of the day. "Umm, that sounds good. I'll have that." NOT. Sounds like dried up chicken mash. Sorry, it's late. The caffeine has long since worn off.

budforester
03-19-2013, 23:25

Dehydrating would concentrate the nitrites, salt, and other goodies from the corning process. I question adding more "cure". Keeping it in vacuum, cold, and dark will be your best protection from rancidity; and avoid long- term storage.
I have not dehydrated corned beef, did it come out looking like splinters?

Feral Bill
03-19-2013, 23:40
I'd be tempted by corned beef jerky. Should work if the corned beef is lean enough. Dehydrated cabbage might be a bit scary.

Dogwood
03-19-2013, 23:51
No surprise there Mr Feral Bill. So many times I've seen you bash vegan and vegetarian hikers or those simply wishing to cut down on animal products but flock like a fly to shart with the mention of corned beef. Should we also be surprised that you managed to put in a little barb when mentioning cabbage. What goes around comes around.:)

Teacher & Snacktime
03-20-2013, 00:57
It sounds good, but I'll wait until you've also perfected the cabbage.

Feral Bill
03-20-2013, 00:57
No surprise there Mr Feral Bill. So many times I've seen you bash vegan and vegetarian hikers or those simply wishing to cut down on animal products but flock like a fly to shart with the mention of corned beef. Should we also be surprised that you managed to put in a little barb when mentioning cabbage. What goes around comes around.:)

I've bashed vegetarian and vegan hikers? When? Please show me where. I actually eat rather little meat when hiking, partly because I often hike with vegetarians, partly because it doesn't travel well. And I like cabbage. Just can't see it dried. I may bash fad diets and unfounded health claims, but honestly can't see a problem in the world with going meatless.

Mountain Mike
03-20-2013, 01:01
http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/Cabbage-12-oz_p_1712.html

Dogwood
03-20-2013, 01:17
I eat vegetarians all the time. They are tasty. Maybe, it's because they are vegetarians? Maybe, bash was too harsh of a word. Maybe, I should have said poke fun at? :)

Feral Bill
03-20-2013, 01:20
I eat vegetarians all the time. They are tasty. Maybe, it's because they are vegetarians? Maybe, bash was too harsh of a word. Maybe, I should have said poke fun at? :)
We're good. Now I'm hungry.

Dogwood
03-20-2013, 01:25
That's the spirit. Good sport you are. Can't wait to read one of your posts in response to one of my pro vegetarian posts :) Now, I'm hungry too - FOR A VEGGIE BURGER!

Teacher & Snacktime
03-20-2013, 01:27
http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/Cabbage-12-oz_p_1712.html

Great Link...I'm reminded of Kramer of Seinfeld feeding the carriage horse Beefaroni......go ahead and feed your horse dried cabbage as suggested in the ad......THEN STAND BACK!!!!

JAK
03-20-2013, 08:46
Corn beef is good stuff. Fairly lean. I think 1g of fat per 2g of protein but not sure. I would agree that you shouldn't have to add more curing stuff, but a little extra dehydration and repacking might help, and cut down weight some.

By the way, to estimate how much you should expect to gain by dehydrating, from the nutrition label subtract off the grams of protein, carbs, fat, fibre and the rest should be water. Stuff like fruit and skim milk is typically 90% water. Lean meat is typically 75% water. Corn beef not sure, but I would guess 50%, so there is some room there.

JAK
03-20-2013, 09:04
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sausages-and-luncheon-meats/3489/2

This stuff has 27g protein and 15g fat per 100g, so I guess about 57% water. You can never dehydrate completely, and probably wouldn't want to. It is already salted, which is where the term "corned" comes from, and further dehydration should be enough to boost the preservation factor. When I make jerky for hiking I don't always add salt as dehydrating alone is enough for a few days. Most important thing is to start with fresh meat, and I usually focus on cleaning the surface of the meat by giving it a quick wash with a little salt and rum and whiskey, and then cut it up with a sanitized knife and cutting board and hands, and then dip it in a mix of molasses or honey, thinned with a little rum or whiskey, and some spices and herbs. The sugar also adds some preservative. Honey is particularly effective in this regard. I set my oven to 170F convection, which is the lowest it will go.

Drying alone is the most important thing, along with fresh meat to begin with.
Canned corn beef should work. The Argentinians and Brazilians have very high standards.

But why not start with fresh meat?

BigRing
03-20-2013, 20:16
The Insta Cure may have salt, but it is a very good preservative. I do not worry about the salt when hiking and there is only a small amount of cure added. It took about 6 hours at 185 degrees. The meat finishes with the consistency of dry wood shavings. I mixed in about 1 tablespoon of panko bread crumbs, vacuum packed it into one package and placed into the fridge. It reconstitutes well and tastes great on a pita.

gunner76
03-20-2013, 21:31
I just finished dehydrating a can of low fat corned beef hash. Let it dehydrate for about 10 hours. Turned it over after about 5 hours. End broduct was a fraction of the starting size. Crumbled very nicely. Will give it a try next time I go for a hike.

JAK
03-20-2013, 22:13
I think canned corned beef is 1000mg per 100g, which is 1% salt, and 2% salt once dehydrated. Not too bad if eating say 200g per day and it's your only source of salt, but I would suggest you don't need to add any more Insta Cure. I would either start with fresh brisket and add my own Insta Cure, or just salt, or use canned Corned Beef and dehydrate it without adding any extra. I would also suggest 1g of salt per 100g of beef is more than enough, especially if you will dehydrate it. Even when hiking you should limit your salt intake. Figure out how much you need, then figure out what foods and drinks to get the salt from. I use jerky and skim milk as my only sources of sodium. Milk has it naturally. The jerky is a convenient place to store the extra salt you need because it serves the dual purpose of helping to preserve the meat and to give you the extra salt you need, and you can control your salt intake by chewing on jerky or adding it to soup on the days you need it, and using less on the days you don't. Skim milk I more or less have the same every day, mostly in my chai style spiced tea but also some with oatmeal.

BigRing
03-24-2013, 16:52
Well, the corned beef was a hit! I rehydrated in a snack size ziplock and stuffed it into a pita with a piece of cheddar and a squeeze of Chick-filet honey bar-que sauce.

Greenmountainguy
12-31-2017, 20:36
I have used dried hash brown potatoes with dried onion and an envelope of corned beef. It made a huge meal for two but we sucked it down in a heartbeat. With pita bread and envelopes of ketchup. Delicious. Satisfying.

RockDoc
02-05-2018, 19:38
Don't worry about what the vegans think; 83% of them quit if that tells you anything... study results according to Teicholz.