PDA

View Full Version : Trail Magic 101 - How to Distribute

Teacher & Snacktime
03-19-2013, 22:45
One month ago I got involved in a thread started by Yellobelle called Advice: re Hosting Hikers. From the banter I "borrowed" a wonderful idea offered by AT Trail Magic about making goodie bags. The concept exploded in my mind, prompting my journal entry "A Great Way to Keep Busy While Waiting", and busy we became. Grabbing supplies and a willing Snacktime, we got to work on our Trail Magic Bags.

As of today, we've completed 50 bags, and have another 30+ in the works. It has been a great exercise designing and creating the bags, but the most fun has been in deciding what to put inside. I'm not telling, but suffice it to say that Snacktime and I have done our homework, and the contents should be enjoyed and/or appreciated...we hope.

Our problem is....what do we do with them? They're too heavy to tote around on the trail with us to hand out to any and all hikers we encounter (thru or section, no discrimination). We don't have the time or a likely local location to "stand and deliver". I imagined we'd have to drop them off or ship them to a distribution point...say the ATC in Harper's Ferry or the Goose Pond Cabin in MA or...well, someplace.

So let's get a conversation going...disregard the whole "you're not supposed to announce a gift" stuff please, as this is a lesson in giving for my grandson and HE doesn't know I'm announcing it. The bags are made and signed and to be given in sincerity by him...but frankly I could use some help with the logistics so "HE" can do this well!;)

Bronk
03-19-2013, 23:04
I wouldn't make up individual bags...I would dump all the stuff in one big box and let people pick and choose what they want out of it. Otherwise, I'll tell you what's going to happen...ounce counting hikers concerned about their pack weight are going to go through your bags, pick out what they want and either throw away the rest or toss it into a hiker box.

What you are doing is a nice thought, but the gift you give may be things a person doesn't want that will add weight to their pack, and out of politeness they will smile and say thank you only to discard some of the items later.

Mountain Mike
03-19-2013, 23:10
Send them to Bob at Kincora. Let him pass them out to hikers or his trail crews. What they don't want can go into the hiker box.

Train Wreck
03-19-2013, 23:13
I wouldn't make up individual bags...I would dump all the stuff in one big box and let people pick and choose what they want out of it. Otherwise, I'll tell you what's going to happen...ounce counting hikers concerned about their pack weight are going to go through your bags, pick out what they want and either throw away the rest or toss it into a hiker box.

What you are doing is a nice thought, but the gift you give may be things a person doesn't want that will add weight to their pack, and out of politeness they will smile and say thank you only to discard some of the items later.

Oh, Bronk, I don't think so at all. A hungry hiker is going to eat anything, and be totally thrilled at special snacks! Who doesn't like a surprise, and the stuff sacks are a wonderful idea for containers. I'm not hiking right now, but I'd sure light up if you threw down some of that trail magic on me :) Hey, I think I see the outline of a Hershey bar :banana

Teacher & Snacktime
03-19-2013, 23:20

Like I said, we did our homework....very lightweight, very useful...or easily discarded (but not likely). But if that's what some feel they must do, c'est la vie....Snacktime won't know and he is my chief concern. I appreciate your advice, but I think you're totally wrong and that you underestimate the potential for childlike wonder toward a treat that I like to believe we all have inside. You can dump yours when you turn the corner....just please not in front of the kid.

Mountain Mike
03-19-2013, 23:20
I just took a closer look at the pic. Those are great little ditty bags. Looks like a great sixe for bear bag line/throw sack when done snacking.

Train Wreck
03-20-2013, 00:09
Like I said, we did our homework....very lightweight, very useful...or easily discarded (but not likely). But if that's what some feel they must do, c'est la vie....Snacktime won't know and he is my chief concern. I appreciate your advice, but I think you're totally wrong and that you underestimate the potential for childlike wonder toward a treat that I like to believe we all have inside. You can dump yours when you turn the corner....just please not in front of the kid.

Yeah, Bronk totally missed it on this one. Everyone, no matter their age, loves getting stuff! I've worked at trade shows for years and it never ceases to amuse me how much pleasure people get out of being handed a giveaway item. You can triple the enjoyment if it's actually something you can (a) eat, (b) use, or (c) just play with.
I was wondering if maybe you can contact some hostels or forest service folks in the Mass-NH area about distribution logistics? I keep hearing that hikers receive much less examples of trail magic, hiker feeds, etc. so I'm thinking it would be doubly appreciated as well.
Snacktime has a good teacher :)

HikerMom58
03-20-2013, 07:03
Oh what a neat idea!! Wherever you ship the trail magic bags off 2, they should agree to take pics of the hikers enjoying the bags and send the pics back for Snacktime to see and enjoy.

What a well thought out idea... hats off to the Teacher!! :) Any trail angel would be thrilled to distribute these bags for you and him, I'm sure!!

As far as Bronk goes... yeah, he pretty much shows his true colors wherever he posts.....

rocketsocks
03-20-2013, 07:09
Nice idea Teacher & Snack time, Kudos to you!

WingedMonkey
03-20-2013, 09:18
Oh what a neat idea!! Wherever you ship the trail magic bags off 2, they should agree to take pics of the hikers enjoying the bags and send the pics back for Snacktime to see and enjoy.

What a well thought out idea... hats off to the Teacher!! :) Any trail angel would be thrilled to distribute these bags for you and him, I'm sure!!

As far as Bronk goes... yeah, he pretty much shows his true colors wherever he posts.....

Is any one allowed to have athough different than yours without it becoming a judgement call on your part?

WingedMonkey
03-20-2013, 09:20
Is any one allowed to have a thought different than yours without it becoming a judgement call on your part?

gizzy bear
03-20-2013, 09:46
what a nice gesture and a great learning experience for your grandson...congrats on teaching him giving and kindness... not everyone was taught kindness when they were growing up.

gizzy bear
03-20-2013, 09:55
on another note...i do what i can feeding and helping the homeless in my area...i do this with my children, as well, and it is really important for me, for them to learn compassion and kindness and i LOVE doing this... we make goodie bags sometimes....sometimes we just give out food or toiletries...actually gave out almost 100 Christmas goodie bags with my family around Christmas on the streets of the city... and i can tell you that i have NEVER in my years of doing this, had ONE person act unappreciative... manners are free.

aficion
03-20-2013, 09:57
what a nice gesture and a great learning experience for your grandson...congrats on teaching him giving and kindness... not everyone was taught kindness when they were growing up.

kindness.....what a concept!

Manners too?..... Now you're really talkin'!:)

gizzy bear
03-20-2013, 10:05
kindness.....what a concept!

Manners too?..... Now you're really talkin'!:)

i'm gonna be running for office....so i had to go with warm & fuzzy :)

aficion
03-20-2013, 10:07
i'm gonna be running for office....so i had to go with warm & fuzzy :)

Shoo in.... Love that scarf!

gizzy bear
03-20-2013, 10:10
Shoo in.... Love that scarf!

why thanks!!! size small...the XS was too tight on my head ;)

HikerMom58
03-20-2013, 10:16
Is any one allowed to have a thought different than yours without it becoming a judgement call on your part?

I'm not entirely sure but I have a funny feeling that Winged Monkey and Bronk might be the same person.:-?

gizzy bear
03-20-2013, 10:27
I'm not entirely sure but I have a funny feeling that Winged Monkey and Bronk might be the same person.:-?

hmmmmmm..... wingedmonkeybronk ?!?! ;)

aficion
03-20-2013, 10:28

Who you callin a person?

HikerMom58
03-20-2013, 10:48

hmmmmmm..... wingedmonkeybronk ?!?! ;)

That would be WMB for short. ;)

Who you callin a person?

Hummm ... person= someone who is capable of feelin empathy and compassion. Some person (s) aren't capable yet they are alive and well living among us.

FarmerChef
03-20-2013, 10:49
I love the ditty bag concept. Definitely useful or in a hiker box would get picked up pretty quickly.

As for the contents of the bag I can tell you that I for one (and all of my peeps when hiking) will eat anything they can get their hands on. Ok. Almost anything. For some strange reason they still don't like Snickers bars after I gave them to them on one particularly long day. I think the distance may have colored their judgment. What kid doesn't like a snickers? :confused:

HikerMom58
03-20-2013, 11:08
Teacher & Snacktime... I apologize for the thread drift. I love what you are doing. I'll be thinking of ways for you to distribute the bags.....

yellowsirocco
03-20-2013, 11:28
"grizzly bear" mentioned feeding the homeless and i think if you are going to go out of your way to do stuff like this that is where it should go. Hikers are on vacation, they are not in need, they are voluntarily putting themselves in a position of hardship. I am not saying you shouldn't help hikers out, if you meet a hiker and you have extra to share then great. When I am intentional about something I try to do it right and homeless need help a lot more than hikers. It is not just about teaching kindness, you also have to teach people to be kind to the people that need it most and not just your social circle.

Lone Wolf
03-20-2013, 11:48
send ditty bags to troops overseas

IrishBASTARD
03-20-2013, 12:07
Think what others are forgetting, Teach & Snack Time are doing it for the hikers, as perhaps a way to give back to the community, although I agree in helping the homeless, thank you for doing that, its a vacation tride and true, but let Snack Time decide, would be my suggestion Teacher, give to hikers or help the homeless, either way he chooses will be great.

gizzy bear
03-20-2013, 12:50
"grizzly bear" mentioned feeding the homeless and i think if you are going to go out of your way to do stuff like this that is where it should go. Hikers are on vacation, they are not in need, they are voluntarily putting themselves in a position of hardship. I am not saying you shouldn't help hikers out, if you meet a hiker and you have extra to share then great. When I am intentional about something I try to do it right and homeless need help a lot more than hikers. It is not just about teaching kindness, you also have to teach people to be kind to the people that need it most and not just your social circle.

just to clear the air here "mellowsirocco" :D ... i mentioned my work with the homeless in SUPPORT of what teacher and snacktime are doing... i was sharing, that i also do something similar with my children and i think it is important to teach our kids, hands on, how to do kind acts...

Teacher & Snacktime
03-20-2013, 12:52

Bronk is cool...he's entitled to his opinion, after all, and while I may disagree with what he says, as the saying goes "I'd fight to the death for his right to say it". Besides, I suspect deep down he'd get a kick out of the bags too, and he's just warning me to avoid being disappointed. (That's my rosy outlook and I'm sticking to it!)

I'm leaning toward a Harper's Ferry ATC drop off (if they'll take them) so that Snacktime and I will get to see some of the recipients as they blow past us on our section hike. Mid-April should be pretty good timing I hope to catch some hikers. Then when we get home we can make some more to drop off either in NH or MA on a later hike. But if anyone has a special request or location, or wants to hand some out along the way, just let us know and we can make some to order! I'd really love to drop some off at the end of the crazy rocky section at the start of Maine as a reward, or at the beginning of the 100 Mile Wilderness, but haven't thought that out enough yet. It's a work in progress. Thanks everyone for your support!

Teacher & Snacktime
03-20-2013, 13:11
I was going to try to stay out of my own thread for the most part, but I simply have to respond to some of these posts.

I completely agree with the idea that there are more "worthy" cause on which to bestow charity, and that maybe hikers "on vacation" are less important than many. But consider this: none of us has the resources to satisfy all need, so we do what we can with the resources we have. When trying to teach a child how best to distribute those resources, I believe that to help them appreciate the joy of giving in an area where they have immediate interest is the most effective means. Also the element of comaraderie and fun are important. Once the concept is part of them, when they appreciate their power to better the lives of others, then the more weighty issues of social obligation, etc. come into play.

For now, he's an eleven year old boy doing a good deed for those with manageable needs that fall within his ability to understand and satisfy. (Last year his efforts were focused on raising money for an animal shelter because he loves cats and dogs. ) He's learning to think of others, and is willing to put forth effort for them. It's a start...the big issues will come in time.

HikerMom58
03-20-2013, 13:21
send ditty bags to troops overseas

LW... You totally are overlooking the fact that some people have a connection to the trail and people associated with the trail. This is a forum dedicated to talking about the trail. Whiteblaze!!! There are other places/forums that are dedicated to helping the troops, the homeless etc...
yellowsirocco- you as well. Your comments are not helpful at all, they aren't wrong, just misplaced.

Who are you to tell people what they should do... You "try to do it right", that's just a bunch of BS. My gosh...

This seems like common sense to me - the nature of long distant backpacking is carrying everything you need on your back, for a certain amount of time. If you've ever hiked before, you realize how limiting that can be.... no one has a choice with that. People that feel a connection to the trail, like to help out with that limitation.
Also, not having a vehicle is limiting, while hiking. Sometimes, a person needs to get some medical help... whatever... I've helped someone get to a place where they could get some medical treatment.

MDSection12
03-20-2013, 13:44
LW... You totally are overlooking the fact that some people have a connection to the trail and people associated with the trail. This is a forum dedicated to talking about the trail. Whiteblaze!!! There are other places/forums that are dedicated to helping the troops, the homeless etc...
yellowsirocco- you as well. Your comments are not helpful at all, they aren't wrong, just misplaced.

Who are you to tell people what they should do... You "try to do it right", that's just a bunch of BS. My gosh...

This seems like common sense to me - the nature of long distant backpacking is carrying everything you need on your back, for a certain amount of time. If you've ever hiked before, you realize how limiting that can be.... no one has a choice with that. People that feel a connection to the trail, like to help out with that limitation.
Also, not having a vehicle is limiting, while hiking. Sometimes, a person needs to get some medical help... whatever... I've helped someone get to a place where they could get some medical treatment.

Those limitations were self-imposed though. If you didn't want to be limited then maybe backpacking wasn't the right choice in hobbies for you. For me that's a part of the allure of backpacking; I have to make up my mind about what I need and then live with the consequences. It's liberating.

I can absolutely understand the impromptu trail magic stuff, like giving a ride somewhere (I would hope any of us would do that for someone who needs medical attention, but maybe not) or offering a bit of your lunch when out day-hiking... But I do understand some frustration with these more organized forms of 'trail magic.' It seems to me that a fairly large number of people are putting serious time, energy, and money into 'supporting' a group that chose to go out where there would be no support... I just don't get that.

People (including yourself in a previous post) refer to not wanting to help 'those that won't help themselves...' Yet they will help a group that deliberately put themselves into the situation that creates the 'need?' I don't see how a homeless man who buys booze with his panhandled money instead of food is any worse a cause to support than an otherwise healthy, priveleged (you have to be to be making a thru attempt) individual who chooses to spend six months hiking.

Lone Wolf
03-20-2013, 13:50

i've overlooked nothing. backpackers made a choice to walk in the woods. they don't need handouts. i will help someone truly in need

gizzy bear
03-20-2013, 14:12

HM... i hope you read my previous post where i explained that i only mentioned my work with the homeless, in SUPPORT of teacher's efforts... i think what she is doing for the hikers AND her grandchild are wonderful and i practice very similar activities with my children.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-20-2013, 14:18
i've overlooked nothing. backpackers made a choice to walk in the woods. they don't need handouts. i will help someone truly in need

And so you should. For now though, do you have anything to contribute on how we might distribute what WE'VE chosen to give?

Lone Wolf
03-20-2013, 14:20
And so you should. For now though, do you have anything to contribute on how we might distribute what WE'VE chosen to give?

you could give the stuff to the methodist church in damascus and they could put it in the hostel

Teacher & Snacktime
03-20-2013, 14:35
you could give the stuff to the methodist church in damascus and they could put it in the hostelI

Thank you...that's an especially good idea as I'd have until may and trail days to get it there. I appreciate the input.

HikerMom58
03-20-2013, 15:05
Bronk is cool...he's entitled to his opinion, after all, and while I may disagree with what he says, as the saying goes "I'd fight to the death for his right to say it". Besides, I suspect deep down he'd get a kick out of the bags too, and he's just warning me to avoid being disappointed. (That's my rosy outlook and I'm sticking to it!)

I'm leaning toward a Harper's Ferry ATC drop off (if they'll take them) so that Snacktime and I will get to see some of the recipients as they blow past us on our section hike. Mid-April should be pretty good timing I hope to catch some hikers. Then when we get home we can make some more to drop off either in NH or MA on a later hike. But if anyone has a special request or location, or wants to hand some out along the way, just let us know and we can make some to order! I'd really love to drop some off at the end of the crazy rocky section at the start of Maine as a reward, or at the beginning of the 100 Mile Wilderness, but haven't thought that out enough yet. It's a work in progress. Thanks everyone for your support!

Great idea.. I would love to hand out some the of the bags up on the BRP this summer. I will PM you soon. I'm heading out right now.

HM... i hope you read my previous post where i explained that i only mentioned my work with the homeless, in SUPPORT of teacher's efforts... i think what she is doing for the hikers AND her grandchild are wonderful and i practice very similar activities with my children.

No, Gizzy, I wasn't thinking about your previous post at all. You're fine! :)

As to the rest of the posters that want to argue. I have this to say... in this country one could argue that anyone is truly in need. I think we take pretty good care of our troops and the homeless can find help, if they really want/need it. I know there are exceptions but for the most part, I believe what I said is reality in the U.S. and other places. That doesn't mean that I don't/won't reach out in kindness to any of those groups of people. I do.

Fur Queue
03-20-2013, 16:26
On our last day of vacation last year we visited Mount Washington, by car...I had all of my boys with me and we were getting to know the State having recently moved to New Hampshire. Coming off the mountain peak we stopped for an unshaved, bedraggled and impoverished looking soul...stood there with his thumb out. I stopped to offer him a ride down, he jumped in..said he was meeting some friends at the bottom, told me all about the AT which Id never heard of...I was quite shocked that people walked the length of it..in fact really shocked in a "You must be out of your mind but this is quite brilliant folly" sort of way..He told us about the animals, they werent the real danger, that it was the weather you had to be most careful with...When we reached the bottom we saw his three equally bedraggled friends, two girls and a guy...they were all quite pleased to meet up...and even more pleased when I, inspired by their adventurous spirit, took my remaining three first class beers from my trunk and handed them to them...I apologized for only having three, but I could tell they were used to sharing and they were delighted and couldnt thank me enough. As we drove away my five year old, who had been strangely silent for the whole journey down the mountain, piped up and asked me if the man we gave a ride to was Jesus...puzzled, I said no and asked why he thought that?....He said because he had long hair and a beard and we had found him above the clouds, the highest place in the sky he had been in his young life...

And here I am today...prepping and planning...would love to say thanks to the young man on Mount Washington last summer...and if that is trail "magic" then it moves in many directions and I hope there is plenty more for all....

Apologies for thread drift...

FarmerChef
03-20-2013, 16:29
As we drove away my five year old, who had been strangely silent for the whole journey down the mountain, piped up and asked me if the man we gave a ride to was Jesus...puzzled, I said no and asked why he thought that?....He said because he had long hair and a beard and we had found him above the clouds, the highest place in the sky he had been in his young life...

That was hilarious. Thanks for sharing.

Malto
03-20-2013, 18:45
I was trying to stay out of this thread, seems like any conversation on WB turns south now. As far as where to distribute. I would suggest thinking of ways of getting it as far away from civilization as possible. Why? Hikers can leave a town like Damascus or HF with anything and everything they care to carry. But figure out how to get the bags at the halfway point of a five day carry would be huge. Others would have a better idea on where a spot like this would be. Have fun.

HikerMom58
03-20-2013, 19:53
Those limitations were self-imposed though. If you didn't want to be limited then maybe backpacking wasn't the right choice in hobbies for you. For me that's a part of the allure of backpacking; I have to make up my mind about what I need and then live with the consequences. It's liberating. I'm not blown away by the limiting factor... I actually thinks it's cool 2. It's just a fact to me that I embrace and live with while backpacking.

I can absolutely understand the impromptu trail magic stuff, like giving a ride somewhere (I would hope any of us would do that for someone who needs medical attention, but maybe not) or offering a bit of your lunch when out day-hiking... But I do understand some frustration with these more organized forms of 'trail magic.' It seems to me that a fairly large number of people are putting serious time, energy, and money into 'supporting' a group that chose to go out where there would be no support... I just don't get that.

You sayin crap like this, is like someone joining a "Support the Troops" forum. While you may not be anti-war, your comments seem asinine and totally out of place. When someone suggests making up care packages to send the troops, you say, "I just don't get it, they signed up for the military, they don't NEED anything." "They shouldn't have signed up, if they don't like it." OR "Don't throw them a homecoming parade, they aren't special. You should only honor the ones that nearly died on the "front lines". "The rest of them are just people that just signed up cause they didn't have anything better to do.. They wanted to see the world or they wanted to to get away from home or whatever other stupid reason you can come up with." All the time being so clueless and judgemental to anyone that just wants to be kind and has an interest/connection to the military.

People (including yourself in a previous post) refer to not wanting to help 'those that won't help themselves...' Yet they will help a group that deliberately put themselves into the situation that creates the 'need?' I don't see how a homeless man who buys booze with his panhandled money instead of food is any worse a cause to support than an otherwise healthy, priveleged (you have to be to be making a thru attempt) individual who chooses to spend six months hiking. Are we talking here about "helping people" or showing random acts of kindness. They are both intertwined but can be totally different. "Trail kindness", it has nothing to do with need, sometimes. Do you get that?

MDSection12... did you read this......

Originally Posted by FarmerChef http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1441381#post1441381)

Finding food along the trail means a lot to me. Why? Because my wife and I carry the vast majority of food for our 3 kids and that limits the amount of food we can take. Like any thru we are hungry beyond belief most of the time we are hiking big sections and I would love to bring more food but it would blow up our packs (I know, bring a bigger pack...). Whenever we encounter a hiker feed or a box of brownies or sodas we gratefully accept them for the simple pleasure they bring and the added calories. For sure, I could afford to buy enough to resupply the feed or the spot but that's not the point. It positively makes our day every time and is an awesome lesson to our kids that complete strangers sometimes take a moment of their time to bring a bit of joy to another stranger they may never meet or see. It's that selflessness I want them to learn and why I LOVE the trail as a classroom for them.

Yet another true trail magic story (true in that this was just what we wanted right when we needed it):

Last Spring we were hiking near Roanoke on a 10 day section. The weather was unusually warm and with no leaves on the trees quite yet we were roasting in the heat. As often happens, the kids had tired of our dehydrated meals and peanut butter bagels and as we hiked along that morning they began to think about what they would truly like to eat if they could. As we climbed to Highcock Knob my second oldest daughter said she would give everything just to have a fresh apple. It was getting close to lunch time by the time we hit Thunder Hill Shelter so we approached intending to sit down at the picnic table and enjoy day #3 of bagels and peanut butter. I can tell you that even I get tired of that one pretty fast. Well, as we rounded the shelter and looked in I spied an out of place bag hanging from the rafters and went in to inspect. I immediately saw the apples pressed against the side of the bag and thought to myself, wow - what are the chances? In the register was a note from Thunder and Lightning who had hiked up the day before to leave those apples. Thanks again! Respecting that there were other NOBO thrus coming in who would appreciate it just as much we split 3 apples between us but I can tell you they tasted like pure gold to us. I left a note in the register thanking them for their gift and mentioning how much it made our day. And before I left I stuck my head in the bag and just inhaled deeply. Oh my. Magical.

Do you get it now? Can you wrap your head around this?

Another Kevin
03-20-2013, 20:22
As we drove away my five year old, who had been strangely silent for the whole journey down the mountain, piped up and asked me if the man we gave a ride to was Jesus...puzzled, I said no and asked why he thought that?....He said because he had long hair and a beard and we had found him above the clouds, the highest place in the sky he had been in his young life.

Of course, in a way it was Jesus! Matthew 25:40.

rickb
03-20-2013, 20:26
I think it would be very worthwhile to pause and listen to Lone Wolf.

Teaching a child that kindness and giving is good in and of itself if wonderful. But those we choose to give to does matter too, I think. On the few times (too few) that I have bought a serviceman coffee in the line at Dunkin's I did so out of respect for their contribution and sacrifice. It was my small chance to say thanks to those who they represented.

Hikers are on the trail are mostly there for themselves. They are, as some keep reminding us,on vacation. Nothing wrong with that and nothing wrong with respecting their hard work. And absolutely nothing wrong with being nice to them as we would hopefully be to any stranger.

But might the lesson you are teaching not be even more powerful if those wonderful bags were handed off to those few hikers who are also giving back? Not sure how you would accomplish that, but I have heard of hikers doing trail work along the way,for example. One of these events is called "Hardcore" and takes place around Trail Days I think so they would be easy to connect with

Just a thought. In the end, it's not the sports superstars or celebrities (even the minor ones like thruhikers) who kids should lookup to most, but those who are giving and making sacrifices for others-- in ways big and small both.

I appreciated Lone Wolf's comments.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-20-2013, 20:31
Guys, it has nothing to do with the actual gifts....it's the idea of support and celebration. I know that when Ed and I hike he'll be looking around every corner for a sign of magic, because it means he's a part of something bigger than his day to day world. Of course I can provide him with anything he needs on the hike, except perhaps that sense of being special enough in others' eyes to warrant their thoughtfullness (and of course he'd NEVER turn down a cheeseburger ).

I've been clueing him in a bit about this post (without the arguments), and he is totally psyched that others support what he's doing and has made plans to expand on his theme. For him it's like throwing a surprise party...and he truly hopes to meet hikers on the trail with evidence of his bags. SOOOO....
if you do happen to get one at one of our distribution points (which will now go unnamed), it would be very, very cool if you could shoot a pic of yourself or a quick message to let him know his efforts are appreciated.

Fur Queue
03-20-2013, 21:04
Of course, in a way it was Jesus! Matthew 25:40.

That's the problem with the bible...itsall a bit vague, can mean anything you want it to...I'll stick to my map thanks. :)

Another Kevin
03-20-2013, 21:11
I think it would be very worthwhile to pause and listen to Lone Wolf.

Teaching a child that kindness and giving is good in and of itself if wonderful. But those we choose to give to does matter too, I think. On the few times (too few) that I have bought a serviceman coffee in the line at Dunkin's I did so out of respect for their contribution and sacrifice. It was my small chance to say thanks to those who they represented.

Hikers are on the trail are mostly there for themselves. They are, as some keep reminding us,on vacation. Nothing wrong with that and nothing wrong with respecting their hard work. And absolutely nothing wrong with being nice to them as we would hopefully be to any stranger.

But might the lesson you are teaching not be even more powerful if those wonderful bags were handed off to those few hikers who are also giving back? Not sure how you would accomplish that, but I have heard of hikers doing trail work along the way,for example. One of these events is called "Hardcore" and takes place around Trail Days I think so they would be easy to connect with

Just a thought. In the end, it's not the sports superstars or celebrities (even the minor ones like thruhikers) who kids should lookup to most, but those who are giving and making sacrifices for others-- in ways big and small both.

I appreciated Lone Wolf's comments.

I appreciated them, too - but in part I rejected them.

Prudence demands that we try to apply our limited means to charity where it will do the most good. Nevertheless, we can never know, really, what good it will do. Our foresight is imperfect at best.

Surely we want to support the poorest of the poor, but the theme of your post seems to be that you want to confine charity to the deserving. Rather than the prudently trying to do the most good, it seems to want to restrict kindness to those who have done something for it - to exclude the indolent or the ungrateful. But mercy is often defined as kindness to the undeserving. A small mercy like the one the original poster proposes may have unexpected effects, as the "undeserving" recipients pay it forward. Even the most entitled brat - and I daresay there are more of those in the imaginations of WhiteBlaze posters than there are on the trail! - may be affected by some small unsought act of kindness. That entitled brat may find in himself a real impulse to pass on the charity.

Doing something good for someone "just because," without that person being in especial need or having an especial merit, is still praiseworthy. It's a mistake to say "no" to a kind impulse simply because it's not the best possible act of kindness we could be doing.

Train Wreck
03-20-2013, 23:48
I appreciated them, too - but in part I rejected them.

Prudence demands that we try to apply our limited means to charity where it will do the most good. Nevertheless, we can never know, really, what good it will do. Our foresight is imperfect at best.

Surely we want to support the poorest of the poor, but the theme of your post seems to be that you want to confine charity to the deserving. Rather than the prudently trying to do the most good, it seems to want to restrict kindness to those who have done something for it - to exclude the indolent or the ungrateful. But mercy is often defined as kindness to the undeserving. A small mercy like the one the original poster proposes may have unexpected effects, as the "undeserving" recipients pay it forward. Even the most entitled brat - and I daresay there are more of those in the imaginations of WhiteBlaze posters than there are on the trail! - may be affected by some small unsought act of kindness. That entitled brat may find in himself a real impulse to pass on the charity.

Doing something good for someone "just because," without that person being in especial need or having an especial merit, is still praiseworthy. It's a mistake to say "no" to a kind impulse simply because it's not the best possible act of kindness we could be doing.

The quality of mercy is not strain'd,
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.
- Shakespeare

Bronk
03-21-2013, 04:15

I don't whine and pout and threaten to leave every time somebody posts something I don't like. 'Course you're still here...that's character.

HikerMom58
03-21-2013, 06:51
I don't whine and pout and threaten to leave every time somebody posts something I don't like. 'Course you're still here...that's character.

I was honestly sharing how all the negative posts were making me feel, not whining or pouting. I'm certainly not the first and won't be last person to complain about that sort of thing. Many just exit without a word...

I still believe you are Winged Monkey!
I want to relate, I just don't know how...

I like AK's post! I agree. I wish I could express myself like that!

Lone Wolf - I get you. It's just trash talkin while ur just walkin.:D

kayak karl
03-21-2013, 08:04
give googie bags to trail maintenance crews. if trail magic is "giving back" give it to somebody that is doing something other then walking.

Train Wreck
03-21-2013, 08:21
give googie bags to trail maintenance crews. if trail magic is "giving back" give it to somebody that is doing something other then walking.

Off topic - KK, did you get the pm I sent you?

Lone Wolf
03-21-2013, 08:24
Lone Wolf - I get you.

no. you don't really

aficion
03-21-2013, 08:24
The quality of mercy is not strain'd,
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.
- Shakespeare

How far that little candle
throws its beams! So shines
a good deed in a naughty world.
-Shakespeare:sun

Teacher & Snacktime
03-21-2013, 08:27
OK...I've pretty much had enough. You guys with your sniping and bickering could suck the joy out of Christmas. What started out a happy little venture has become a childish display. Perhaps a little reminder....

We have already made the bags and decided for whom we wanted to put forth effort....done deal, so please don't bother to advise me where our efforts should go...I didn't ask.

What I did ask is if anyone had some advice (based on their experience) on good distribution points or methods of distribution.

I ASKED FOR HELP AND PARTICIPATION IN TEACHING AN ELEVEN YEAR OLD BOY KINDNESS AND CHARITY .

I thank those of you who gave sincere responses and were legitimately interested in what we are trying to do. As for the rest, you're a disappointment to what I thought this forum was about. Go stand in a corner.

Malto
03-21-2013, 08:38
I thank those of you who gave sincere responses and were legitimately interested in what we are trying to do. As for the rest, you're a disappointment to what I thought this forum was about. Go stand in a corner.

Why did you have to make the comment about standing in the corner. You are bringing back memories of my childhood and school! :)

Don H
03-21-2013, 08:40
I would suggest going to one of the hostels that is closest to you and personally handing them out (call the hostel first to ask if it's OK). Then you get to meet the hikers and share some of there thoughts on hiking the trail. That makes your donation more personal instead of just mailing off the bags. The bags that are left over can be left in the hiker box.

If you need some ideas of hostels near you PM me.

I did see this done at Shaw's in Monson and hikers were picking out what they wanted from each bag. I thought it was a nice gesture.

Ignore the sniping, I'm surprised this thread stayed on track as long as it did ;)

Teacher & Snacktime
03-21-2013, 08:43
Why did you have to make the comment about standing in the corner. You are bringing back memories of my childhood and school! :)

Did you catch my trail name? :)

Teacher & Snacktime
03-21-2013, 08:48
I would suggest going to one of the hostels that is closest to you and personally handing them out (call the hostel first to ask if it's OK). Then you get to meet the hikers and share some of there thoughts on hiking the trail. That makes your donation more personal instead of just mailing off the bags. The bags that are left over can be left in the hiker box.

If you need some ideas of hostels near you PM me.

I did see this done at Shaw's in Monson and hikers were picking out what they wanted from each bag. I thought it was a nice gesture.

Ignore the sniping, I'm surprised this thread stayed on track as long as it did ;)

Thanks, this was part of our original thinking, and based on some of the positive input I believe we'll focus farther north where magic is less common. There will be at least one more-southern distribution though, and that one is already arranged.

As for the sniping, well at least I didn't break out my ruler.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-21-2013, 09:01
oops...duplicate

MDSection12
03-21-2013, 09:30
You sayin crap like this, is like someone joining a "Support the Troops" forum.While you may not be anti-war, your comments seem asinine and totally out of place. When someone suggests making up care packages to send the troops, you say, "I just don't get it, they signed up for the military, they don't NEED anything." "They shouldn't have signed up, if they don't like it." OR "Don't throw them a homecoming parade, they aren't special. You should only honor the ones that nearly died on the "front lines". "The rest of them are just people that just signed up cause they didn't have anything better to do.. They wanted to see the world or they wanted to to get away from home or whatever other stupid reason you can come up with."All the time being so clueless and judgemental to anyone that just wants to be kind and has an interest/connection to the military.

You can't be serious. You are comparing the choice to join the military to serve our country with the choice to hike the AT? And I'm the one that's assanine and totally out of place? :rolleyes:

I get that you are a kind-hearted person and just like to make people happy, I really do. In both this thread and the previous 'trail magic' thread I have said countless times that I am not trying to stop you from doing whatever you want to do in relation to 'trail magic' and that I can respect the selflessness that it takes to do so... But you refuse to acknowledge my (or any number of other's in here) point of view. I can't speak for everyone here, and some truly have crossed the line, but personally all I've been trying to say is the following, in list format for clarity:

1. There is no true 'need' for any organized 'trail magic' effort. Impromptu things like rides to get medical attention are of course sometimes needed, but that applies to all people all the time, not just hikers.

2. For some people, 'trail magic' can actually take away from what they came to do. That's not to say it's their 'right' to not be exposed to it, but it's also not a 'right' for 'trail angels' to do what they do. Both are using a public trail system and should be respectful of other users. With that in mind I think it is important for 'trail angels' to recognize that they are not always the knight in shining armor they may think they are.

I think because you are on the 'positive' side of the argument (just meaning you are advocating something rather than criticizing it) you think that your opinion is more valid (you seem to take that stance in just about every post you make as a matter of fact...) That's just not the case. It's a public trail and it's important we are all aware of the different viewpoints of users so we can be mindful of the ways our actions effect others.

This is a great idea! Maybe contact the ATC and find a way to distribute them to ridge runners. They could hand some out, and keep one for themselves. :D

MDSection12
03-21-2013, 09:32
As for FarmerChef's post... I do get it. It 'made his day.' Sometimes I find money on the ground and that 'makes my day.' Do you go out and drop twenties around downtown Roanoke? Any number of things can 'make someone's day,' and that's wonderful... But I don't think that automatically justifies whatever the behavior is. What if that twenty I found fell out of a man's pocket as he was mugged? Now a negative behavior has made my day... Your logic just doesn't hold up.

Train Wreck
03-21-2013, 10:12
OK...I've pretty much had enough. You guys with your sniping and bickering could suck the joy out of Christmas. What started out a happy little venture has become a childish display. Perhaps a little reminder....

We have already made the bags and decided for whom we wanted to put forth effort....done deal, so please don't bother to advise me where our efforts should go...I didn't ask.

What I did ask is if anyone had some advice (based on their experience) on good distribution points or methods of distribution.

I ASKED FOR HELP AND PARTICIPATION IN TEACHING AN ELEVEN YEAR OLD BOY KINDNESS AND CHARITY .

DEFINITION:
law of diminishing returns

The law of diminishing returns is a classic economic concept that states that as more investment in an area is made, overall return on that investment increases at a declining rate, assuming that all variables remain fixed. To continue to make an investment after a certain point (which varies from context to context) is to receive a decreasing return on that input.

Pretty much on trend for most threads on WB the longer they continue.
HB's cyber cafe most definitely included :D

Sarcasm the elf
03-21-2013, 10:29
DEFINITION:law of diminishing returnsThe law of diminishing returns is a classic economic concept that states that as more investment in an area is made, overall return on that investment increases at a declining rate, assuming that all variables remain fixed. To continue to make an investment after a certain point (which varies from context to context) is to receive a decreasing return on that input.Pretty much on trend for most threads on WB the longer they continue. HB's cyber cafe most definitely included :DThe law of diminishing return applies to the number of hiker feeds as well, which is the point that many people have been trying to make on this and other threads regarding the subject. But at the end of the day, do what you feel is right, after all this is only a discussion on he Internet. (Disclaimer: This post is meant to be taken generally and is not directed at the OP or any other individual)

Alligator
03-21-2013, 10:31

I thank those of you who gave sincere responses and were legitimately interested in what we are trying to do. As for the rest, you're a disappointment to what I thought this forum was about. Go stand in a corner.OK folks get back to the original question and quit hijacking the thread. Thanks.

FatHead64
03-21-2013, 10:32
Did you catch my trail name? :)

Spoken like a teacher!!!:banana

kayak karl
03-21-2013, 10:35
just saw it. will get back to ya in a few :)

FatHead64
03-21-2013, 10:38
Spoken like a teacher!!!:banana

By the way, I applaud what you are trying to do. Sorry you need to keep some details close to the vest. There was another recent thread very close in topic and content and it may be some feathers are still ruffled. Therefore, I have been pretty quiet here, but hopefully, Snacktime doesn't need to be let in on all of this.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-21-2013, 12:30
DEFINITION:
law of diminishing returns

The law of diminishing returns is a classic economic concept that states that as more investment in an area is made, overall return on that investment increases at a declining rate, assuming that all variables remain fixed. To continue to make an investment after a certain point (which varies from context to context) is to receive a decreasing return on that input.

Pretty much on trend for most threads on WB the longer they continue.
HB's cyber cafe most definitely included :D

Would I have experienced a lesser opportunity cost if I'd gone with Straight Forward? Economically speaking, of course.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-21-2013, 12:49
By the way, I applaud what you are trying to do. Sorry you need to keep some details close to the vest. There was another recent thread very close in topic and content and it may be some feathers are still ruffled. Therefore, I have been pretty quiet here, but hopefully, Snacktime doesn't need to be let in on all of this.

Except for expressions of support, Snacktime will remain uninformed. He's so very excited about all of this, and I'm certainly not going to rain on his parade. Besides, as for as comments directly concerning him and his efforts, everyone has been very positive, for which I am grateful. (You can all take recess now...but no fighting in the playground).

HikerMom58
03-21-2013, 13:01
Except for expressions of support, Snacktime will remain uninformed. He's so very excited about all of this, and I'm certainly not going to rain on his parade. Besides, as for as comments directly concerning him and his efforts, everyone has been very positive, for which I am grateful. (You can all take recess now...but no fighting in the playground).

I love what you are teaching him. That's cool that he's excited about hiking himself and is excited about reaching out to the thru hikers, as well. Y'all put a lot of thought into the bags. Kudos to you both for that!!

FatHead64
03-21-2013, 13:04
I love what you are teaching him. That's cool that he's excited about hiking himself and is excited about reaching out to the thru hikers, as well. Y'all put a lot of thought into the bags. Kudos to you both for that!!

Again - yeah - what she said!

BirdBrain
03-21-2013, 13:35
Is any one allowed to have athough different than yours without it becoming a judgement call on your part?

Donate $10 and you won't have to deal with typos. Whiteblaze is worth the $10.

And to be on subject, I do not understand the bile that comes with these discussions. The old adage that says, "no good deed goes unpunished" is demonstrated daily on this site. I would suggest people learn 2 simple phrases: Thank you. No thank you. Personally, I would love to have one of those bags. If there was something in it I did not want, I would share. To which reasonable people would say one of 2 simple phrases.

Deer Hunter
03-21-2013, 13:46

Again - yeah - what she said!

+1.....................

Dr David
03-21-2013, 13:52
Hi Teacher/sncktime;
The gift is not just in the eating so whatever you put into the bags will be a gift long remembered by those that get one. I got my gift in just reading about your open heart and willingness to give and receive. Lots of Love and Support in your work Dr Dave

FarmerChef
03-21-2013, 14:00
Would I have experienced a lesser opportunity cost if I'd gone with Straight Forward? Economically speaking, of course.

Probably. It's a bit stricter to sticking to the topic in that forum.

On topic (again), I think what you are teaching Snacktime is wonderful and it sounds like he is well on his way to a growing love of the outdoors and a genuine caring for it as well as others. Keep up the great work. :D

Violent Green
03-21-2013, 14:00
Top 5 worst threads I've ever read on any site, which is saying something. That's not a criticism aimed at you Teacher. Kudos for taking the time to teach a young person a lesson about kindness. Is kindness towards anyone ever a bad idea? Evidently so.

Tis better to give than receive.

Ryan

rickb
03-21-2013, 17:12
Is kindness towards anyone ever a bad idea? RyanSomtimes. I met a 30 something man in an expensive pickup truck at the Inn at the Longtrail once who had driven several hundred miles to spend a week meeting random hikers in VT at different trail crossings (not at the Inn) to give them "magic". Probably a nice guy, but that manifestation of it was a bad idea, in my opinion.I can think of others-- like giving a bum at the route 2 roundabout in Cambridge money.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-21-2013, 17:28
Somtimes. I met a 30 something man in an expensive pickup truck at the Inn at the Longtrail once who had driven several hundred miles to spend a week meeting random hikers in VT at different trail crossings (not at the Inn) to give them "magic". Probably a nice guy, but that manifestation of it was a bad idea, in my opinion.I can think of others-- like giving a bum at the route 2 roundabout in Cambridge money.

Here we go again....

rickb
03-21-2013, 17:45
Here we go again....

Mine is just the thoughts of one person. As an educator surely you see some value in divergent opinions? Whether or not you choose to embrace them.

To get back on topic, what did you think of my idea of passing out the bundles to the thru hikers working on the"hardcore" projects?

Teacher & Snacktime
03-21-2013, 17:53
Mine is just the thoughts of one person. As an educator surely you see some value in divergent opinions? Whether or not you choose to embrace them.

To get back on topic, what did you think of my idea of passing out the bundles to the thru hikers working on the"hardcore" projects?

Of course I can deal with divergent opinions, and I am almost militant in my support of people's rights to their opinions. I'm just sighing because It looked like we might head back to sniping territory....forgive me for prejudgement (I'm gunshy).

I'm not sure what you mean by "hardcore" projects...I'll go back and see what I missed in the previous posts.

I can say that these ditties will be given to any and all hikers who happen upon them....thrus, sections, days....I wouldn't discriminate anymore than I'd appreciate someone else discriminating against Snacktime because he's a sectioner. I suspect that the withheld cheeseburger/soda/whatever under that circumstance would be a severe poke to Grandma Bear....and NOBODY wants to go there.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-21-2013, 18:05

A good thought, but we're keeping this simple and giving to hikers. Since these workers are hikers then hopefully they'll get them too. We're going to do our best to spread them around, because Snacktime really does want everybody to get one (and at 11, he means EVERYBODY....I'll be making these things with him until I'm old and grey....uh oh, too late.)

rickb
03-21-2013, 18:33
I wasn't sure if you were going to be handing out the bags yourself, or not. The individual behind the Hardcore projects runs a hostel and is something of an Icon (so I am told -- i have note been to the southern Appalachians in years) and might be of a mind to pass then out to hikers/volunteers and trail users for you).

If are going to hand them out yourself, I would suggest you consider doing so in a place where the hikers might come to you naturally-- by a water spigot or such. And then mess with them a bit before giving them the bag-- not sure what that form that would take -- something like only giving them the bag if they can tell you what LNT stands for (only more creative).

Violent Green
03-21-2013, 19:02
Somtimes. I met a 30 something man in an expensive pickup truck at the Inn at the Longtrail once who had driven several hundred miles to spend a week meeting random hikers in VT at different trail crossings (not at the Inn) to give them "magic". Probably a nice guy, but that manifestation of it was a bad idea, in my opinion.I can think of others-- like giving a bum at the route 2 roundabout in Cambridge money.

You're right. We have divergent opinions. For me, who has been given so much in this life that I didn't deserve, I think it's my responsibility to help people if they ask for it. Let God judge them for what they do with my help whether that be money, food, advice, etc. If the worst thing I ever do in my life is give a dollar to someone who needed it more than I did, I think I've done OK.

Ryan

Violent Green
03-21-2013, 19:04
@ RickB

P.S. - I do like your idea of making them answer trivia before they get a gift bag! That could be a lot of fun for all involved.

Ryan

Teacher & Snacktime
03-21-2013, 19:12
I wasn't sure if you were going to be handing out the bags yourself, or not. The individual behind the Hardcore projects runs a hostel and is something of an Icon (so I am told -- i have note been to the southern Appalachians in years) and might be of a mind to pass then out to hikers/volunteers and trail users for you).

If are going to hand them out yourself, I would suggest you consider doing so in a place where the hikers might come to you naturally-- by a water spigot or such. And then mess with them a bit before giving them the bag-- not sure what that form that would take -- something like only giving them the bag if they can tell you what LNT stands for (only more creative).

Some we will be handing out at a likely meeting point, and some others will be distributing for us the same way. I could certainly send some to a hostel, and if you get me info I will check it out. I do like the idea of the trivia question, though I suppose it would behoove us to know the answer....what does LNT stand for?

It would be hysterical to get Snacktime to act like Monty Python's bridge keeper and demand answers to "questions 3"....

What is your name?
What is your quest?
What is the airspeed velocity of a laden swallow? (or your favorite color)

Rasty
03-21-2013, 19:17

Some we will be handing out at a likely meeting point, and some others will be distributing for us the same way. I could certainly send some to a hostel, and if you get me info I will check it out. I do like the idea of the trivia question, though I suppose it would behoove us to know the answer....what does LNT stand for?

It would be hysterical to get Snacktime to act like Monty Python's bridge keeper and demand answers to "questions 3"....

What is your name?
What is your quest?
What is the air velocity of a laden swallow? (or your favorite color)

African or European?

Teacher & Snacktime
03-21-2013, 19:31
African or European?

I don't know that!

HikerMom58
03-21-2013, 19:52

That's an excellent idea... talking to the hikers, before just handing them something, is a given, IMHO. Also, be respectful and look at body language from each person, you strike up a conversation with, to make sure they are comfortable with the situation. Some hikers like to have their picture taken so that could be part of the interaction too.

Wow, what a real teaching opportunity this could be for Snacktime. "Gramma bear" will be on high alert, I'm sure. ;)

Also, it would be really interesting to know just how many hikers give back to the trail after they are finished with their hike. I know a hiker, last year, left Trail Days for a few days to help with trail work before he continued on with his hike. I don't know what the name of the volunteer trail work was but it may have been "Hardcore." They really would be a good org. to contact, T&S.

I, personally, know many hikers that go back to the trail to do trail magic, after they finish their hike. As long as they don't discriminate between thru's, section hikers or even day hikers, with their trail magic... it's all good.

rocketsocks
03-21-2013, 20:24
I don't know that!Wrong answer....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2R3FvS4xr4

Teacher & Snacktime
03-21-2013, 21:02
Wrong answer....

Perhaps we should lay in wait for hikers at the entrance to a bridge......

Teacher & Snacktime
03-21-2013, 21:06
Also, it would be really interesting to know just how many hikers give back to the trail after they are finished with their hike. I know a hiker, last year, left Trail Days for a few days to help with trail work before he continued on with his hike. I don't know what the name of the volunteer trail work was but it may have been "Hardcore." They really would be a good org. to contact, T&S.

I, personally, know many hikers that go back to the trail to do trail magic, after they finish their hike. As long as they don't discriminate between thru's, section hikers or even day hikers, with their trail magic... it's all good.

One of the reasons we're doing this now is because we don't know if this adventure will continue after this school year (though I hope so). We're paying it forward since we don't know if our schedule will allow for it after the fact. However, if things continue the way Snacktime sees them, we'll be meeting hikers at Springer next year (with a bunch of Ditties that say "We're Back!). The kid cracks me up.

Sarcasm the elf
03-21-2013, 21:46
Perhaps we should lay in wait for hikers at the entrance to a bridge......

Now you're on to something! While I'm on the fence about hiker feeds, I would be really psyched if I was surprised with dinner and a show!

In all honesty, I have been incredibly tempted to reenact the black night scene from holy grail on the bridge over the creek on Mt. Race (Massachusetts). Sadly my hiking partner had no interest in dressing up like King Aurthor and slaying me in mock combat while puzzled thru hikers looked on...:banana

Teacher & Snacktime
03-21-2013, 21:51
Now you're on to something! While I'm on the fence about hiker feeds, I would be really psyched if I was surprised with dinner and a show!

In all honesty, I have been incredibly tempted to reenact the black night scene from holy grail on the bridge over the creek on Mt. Race (Massachusetts). Sadly my hiking partner had no interest in dressing up like King Aurthor and slaying me in mock combat while puzzled thru hikers looked on...:banana

If you knew enough folk would be coming by to watch the performance, then yes, that would certainly be some trail magic! And you could hand out hollow coconuts so the hikers could "ride" for a few miles.

rocketsocks
03-21-2013, 21:58
Perhaps we should lay in wait for hikers at the entrance to a bridge......I'll bring the rabbit

Teacher & Snacktime
03-21-2013, 22:01
I'll bring the rabbit

Don't bring the rabbit! It's a MANEATER!!!

Oh dear, I think we've gone on another tangent...can one hijack their own thread? Oh, what the hell, it's MONTY PYTHON!!!

RUN AWAY RUN AWAY!!!!

rocketsocks
03-21-2013, 22:20
Don't bring the rabbit! It's a MANEATER!!!

Oh dear, I think we've gone on another tangent...can one hijack their own thread? Oh, what the hell, it's MONTY PYTHON!!!

RUN AWAY RUN AWAY!!!!I'll stop now, but just so there's no mistake, yes one can high jack there own thread, use to happen to me all the time, wait..what...never mind.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-21-2013, 22:24
Oh I never said I wanted to stop, just that perhaps I should. I could spout MP lines all night....that and write odes to other peoples camp-cooking apparatus.....that WAS what we were talking about, RIGHT?

Anyway...a live performance on the trail would be a great way to deliver some very unique trail magic.....there, back on track.

HikerMom58
03-21-2013, 22:35
..................................:sun............ ........................

FarmerChef
03-21-2013, 22:41

Tis but a scratch. I'll bite your legs off!

To Teacher - LNT stands for Leave No Trace

And, in the theme of trail magic...a quote...

"And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and large chu--" Now that truly would be trail magic.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-21-2013, 22:58
"And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and large chu--" Now that truly would be trail magic.

I already told you I'm not telling what's in the Ditty Bags!

Teacher & Snacktime
03-21-2013, 23:43
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=30237&c=558

The perfect location for our "questions 3"

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/0/2/4/4/suspension_bridge_original.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=30237&original=1&c=558)

Sarcasm the elf
03-22-2013, 00:03
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=30237&c=558

The perfect location for our "questions 3"

How about the old Iron Bridge in Falls Village Connecticut? :D

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/6/4/6/5/p1010115_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=55427)

Teacher & Snacktime
03-22-2013, 00:13
Not quite the same ambiance, but it could work too. More room to maneuver. This might not be a bad distribution point if it's actually part of the trail....I'll find out in May.

If you bring the battling knights (the silly English Kniggits), then I'll bring Snacktime, the Ditty Bags, and maybe even some cocoanuts.

As Snacktime would say: "This could be Epic".

Wait....I just saw the barrier...this is GREAT! That's one of Snacktime's favorite lines!

HikerMom58
05-10-2013, 17:16

Thank you Teacher & Snacktime.... your Trail Magic was well received and very much appreciated!!! B-Rocket was thrilled to deliver the bags as she hiked along. It brought joy all the way around. :D

Teacher & Snacktime
05-10-2013, 18:23
Thank you for distributing them! Snacktime will love see these pics.

HikerMom58
05-10-2013, 19:00
More pics :)

Thank you Snacktime!! :)

rocketsocks
05-10-2013, 19:04
They all look pretty happy to me to recieve.....very nice yall.

BostonBlue
05-10-2013, 19:11
I was trying to stay out of this thread, seems like any conversation on WB turns south now. As far as where to distribute. I would suggest thinking of ways of getting it as far away from civilization as possible. Why? Hikers can leave a town like Damascus or HF with anything and everything they care to carry. But figure out how to get the bags at the halfway point of a five day carry would be huge. Others would have a better idea on where a spot like this would be. Have fun.

I agree with this! And what a thoughtful idea for you to make these bags. For myself and in various trail journals I've read, a hiker's day can be really going bad - when suddenly we encounter these acts of kindness. Turns the day around in a minute! In town, they will be appreciated, but on the trail - they will probably make someone's day!

Teacher & Snacktime
05-10-2013, 20:49
So far these have been distributed by Laurel at the Teahorse Hostel (Harper's Ferry), Loretta at the HI Harper's Ferry Hostel (MD), and by HikerMomKD (&Co) on the trail in VA. We have a batch ready to ship to the Free State Hiker Hostel in MD next. Also, we have a box of 24 ready to ship if anyone out there would like to join in on this project! Snacktime, Strife and I will be heading out to CT the week after next, so if we see any hikers we'll get to hand some out ourselves!

HikerMom58
05-10-2013, 21:12

The trail magic started with the 3 hikers at my house. B-Rocket, Java Man and our very own Chin Music. :) Even Colin our dog was interested in it. They loved it all. The bags will come in handy, they said. They love the balloon hat idea, in the bag. That was a big hit with them! B-Rocket offered to take some bags with her while they were slack packing. The pics are courtesy of
B-Rocket. The hikers did love getting the bags while hiking the trail!! :) A big thanks to B-Rocket for carrying the extra weight to give out the trail magic bags. Spreading some joy, on the trail, in Central VA. Thanks again Teacher and Snacktime!

rocketsocks
05-10-2013, 21:26
Heck yeah, nice pics hiker mom! I mean who doesn't like the prize at the bottom of the "Cracker Jacks" box...I do

Teacher & Snacktime
05-10-2013, 21:26
A big thanks to B-Rocket for carrying the extra weight to give out the trail magic bags. Spreading some joy, on the trail, in Central VA. !

Yes, a big thanks! Is she on WB? I'll send a PM. These pics are great!

Oh, and anyone heading out who'd like one of these, if you PM your address I'm sure we can get one to you....otherwise you can take your chances of finding one of our helpful friends on your trip!

HikerMom58
05-10-2013, 21:35
She's not on WB T&S but I will pass along the thank you to her. :) She's a doll!!

Teacher & Snacktime
05-10-2013, 21:36
How about the old Iron Bridge in Falls Village Connecticut? :D

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/6/4/6/5/p1010115_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=55427)

Sarcasm, is this still how the bridge looks? We'll be there Sat 4/25, and it would be cool to arrange our "questions three" approach to distributing a few bags. Think there will be any other hikers around to give these to?

WalksInDark
05-10-2013, 21:53
I am sooooooooooooooooooooooo happy to see that the "Good Deed Doers" outlasted the whiners and Nay Sayers.

Teacher, Snacktime, young son, and Hiker Mom: Thanks for giving of yourself!

Coosa
05-13-2013, 09:48
You want to create Great Trail Magic???

Set up a hand washing station with a fingernail brush somewhere not close to close to a town, out at a road crossing ... The women hikers will dance for joy! (The men will too but not as dramatically.)

Heat water & have Bio-Degradable Soap, Nail Brush & Clean rinse water & towels available ... (Paper Towels can be used to start a campfire if it's cold ... Campfire could be used to heat water.)

Have Extra Water for Hikers too.

That Trail Magic got me the most Thank Yous ever.

Foods that Hikers seemed to like when I was doing Trail Magic -- Cold Orange Juice (& other Fruit Juices); Fresh Fruit; Fresh Veggies; Hard Boiled Eggs; Potato Chips (Salt!)

Coosa

rocketsocks
05-13-2013, 14:38
You want to create Great Trail Magic???

Set up a hand washing station with a fingernail brush somewhere not close to close to a town, out at a road crossing ... The women hikers will dance for joy! (The men will too but not as dramatically.)

Heat water & have Bio-Degradable Soap, Nail Brush & Clean rinse water & towels available ... (Paper Towels can be used to start a campfire if it's cold ... Campfire could be used to heat water.)

Have Extra Water for Hikers too.

That Trail Magic got me the most Thank Yous ever.

Foods that Hikers seemed to like when I was doing Trail Magic -- Cold Orange Juice (& other Fruit Juices); Fresh Fruit; Fresh Veggies; Hard Boiled Eggs; Potato Chips (Salt!)

Coosa"Best post of the month"

Great idea Coosa :)

Teacher & Snacktime
05-13-2013, 16:27
That's a great idea! At some point Snacktime and I will be setting up a Magic Station far enough from civilization to make it more meaningful, and the fresh juices, fruits and washing station sound brilliant! If we can incorporate your ideas in our efforts we will certainly try, thanks!

Deer Hunter
05-13-2013, 21:53
I am sooooooooooooooooooooooo happy to see that the "Good Deed Doers" outlasted the whiners and Nay Sayers.

Teacher, Snacktime, young son, and Hiker Mom: Thanks for giving of yourself!

Ditto..............