PDA

View Full Version : Cheap light cutting board

Mountain Mike
03-19-2013, 23:58
I think I found a cheap ul cutting board to use on my hikes. I like to do some real cooking on many hikes & trying to find a hygienic place & way to cut stuff up has be problematic. Pot lids have been problematic for most part & when I do have a fry pan it's coated & I don't want to risk scratching the non-stick surface. I'm going to cut the plastic cover off a multi course notepad & try that. Light but looks pretty durable. I should get several trips out of it. Plan to cut it down to fit the height of my larger pot & wrap it around the inside to stow it. It's paid for & self recycled.

Slo-go'en
03-20-2013, 01:30
Back when Frizbees were popular, I used to see hikers using them for cutting boards and used up side down, had a nice lip to keep from loosing stuff. They could also be used as a plate. Or you could toss them around. Multi-use, but not ultra lite.

Dogwood
03-20-2013, 01:48
A cheap light cutting board huh? That's the SECOND strangest thing I've heard in the past 24 hrs what someone could bring on a hiking/camping trip. As I was cleaning my sister's garage today and was attempting to throw away a broken 4 ft high electric fan on a adjustable pedestal, she exclaimed to me,"well got to get a new one of those for my next camping trip." WHAT? With a straight face, as if everyone does this, she said, "yeah, I plug that into my generator or electrical outlet at the campsite. It keeps us cool." UHH, couldn't move for at least 30 seconds trying to compute this bit of information. Obviously, my sister and I have to have a little conversation about hiking and camping!

JAK
03-20-2013, 03:59
Good score. I think I know the kind you mean. You may find it useful for other things also. Like a mini ground pad for laying stuff on especially if you are a bivy and tarp type of hiker. Where I hiking in the same area regularly I plasticized my map and find it useful for such things, but not as a cutting board.

Biggie Master
03-20-2013, 04:35
https://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=31026&catId=22

My wife got these free in a cookware order... Seems to fit what you're looking for?

kayak karl
03-20-2013, 05:51
i use the side of a plastic milk gallon container. its about 6-9. the bottom of one make a good bowl also.

rocketsocks
03-20-2013, 06:29
All fine ideas, thanks!

JAK
03-20-2013, 07:41
Polypropylene seems to be the plastic of choice for this, if I am not mistaken.

Rocket Jones
03-20-2013, 08:36
You can get super thin flexible cutting boards at the dollar store - a couple to a package. I cut out a small piece with scissors - maybe 4"x6". Weighs nothing, slips into my cozy with my spoon.

WingedMonkey
03-20-2013, 09:05
So...I go online to get a pic to show what I use when I'm in a cooking mood in the woods. Find out they where discontinued in 2005.
Guess I've really made the original pack of 20 last.

That's kinda typical, If a company makes a "disposable" product and it lasts, they can't make any money.

Special K
03-20-2013, 10:38
You can use the top of a cool whip container. Small and low profile and stuff won't roll off.

FarmerChef
03-20-2013, 10:43
You can get super thin flexible cutting boards at the dollar store - a couple to a package. I cut out a small piece with scissors - maybe 4"x6". Weighs nothing, slips into my cozy with my spoon.

+1 - this is what I do. I like to carry cheese and sticks of pepperoni which I need to cut to incorporate into dishes. In the past, I would just try to carefully cut on something else, or just hold it in my hands while I sliced but this was messy or fraught with peril. So I just cut out the same 4"x6" piece of a dollar store cutting board. It nests in my pot and weighs just a few grams.

wornoutboots
03-20-2013, 18:17
You could also go home depot or similar & they'll give you a scrap piece of wood, take it home, sand it & vegetable oil it, drill a hole in it & hang it from your pack.

trippclark
03-20-2013, 18:40
Many brands of bacon pack their product with a thin but durable translucent and moderately stiff plastic sheet that works quite well as a cutting surface. It is flexible and very light weight.

The Old Boot
03-20-2013, 18:49
I use the dollar store plastic cutting boards but mine is recycled from the ones' in my kitchen that I've wrecked by them sliding off the counter and getting too close to a hot burner...sigh!! I cut off all the damaged parts and then cut it up to backpacking size!

Trebor66
03-22-2013, 02:56
WalMart sells a plastic cutting board that's 7 inch by 11 inch and less than a quarter inch thick. It weighs almost nothing and be easily cut to size. Cost $2.88

FarmerChef
03-22-2013, 07:29
Many brands of bacon pack their product with a thin but durable translucent and moderately stiff plastic sheet that works quite well as a cutting surface. It is flexible and very light weight.

oooh. I hadn't thought of that. Good tip! As an added bonus you also get to eat the bacon in order to have the sheet. It's like the treat in a Cracker Jacks box :D

Wise Old Owl
03-22-2013, 09:16

+1 I use it to fill out and support my bag...

Dogwood
03-22-2013, 12:36

Also, quite a bear attractant.

Dogwood
03-22-2013, 12:49
Dirt bag cutting board - as KK said, plastic milk container section doubling as a possible windscreen/cozy and under a beanie to shed the cosmic rays aliens are bombarding us with. :)

Less of a dirt bag cutting board - UL Dollar General cheapies that roll up inside or around your pot. Of course those too can shield one from the evil alien cosmic rays.

Hit the lottery super light anal about wt cutting boards - buy some of the thinnest wt TI or Al flashing. Added benefit of this is that it works best for shielding your noggin from the alien rays but may lead to Altzheimers from possibly consuming the metal added to your food.

Your call. Balance out the priorities.:)