PDA

View Full Version : Xero Shoes(Invisible Shoes)

brooklynkayak
03-20-2013, 09:30
http://xeroshoes.com/

Although these are talked about a lot on the trail runner and ultralight forums, I haven't seen much on WhiteBlaze.

I bought a pair to replace my crocks for beat around and possible camp shoes, but find I use them a lot more than I thought, even in winter.

I switch back and forth on the trail right now, but I'm may eventually go 100%.

If you wear sandles or barefoot style shoes, or are just curious, check them out.
Cheap, durable and light. Great for fixing foot problems.

Hot Flash
03-20-2013, 14:20
http://xeroshoes.com/

Although these are talked about a lot on the trail runner and ultralight forums, I haven't seen much on WhiteBlaze.

I bought a pair to replace my crocks for beat around and possible camp shoes, but find I use them a lot more than I thought, even in winter.

I switch back and forth on the trail right now, but I'm may eventually go 100%.

If you wear sandles or barefoot style shoes, or are just curious, check them out.
Cheap, durable and light. Great for fixing foot problems.

Eh, $20 for two pieces of rubber and a couple shoelaces, AND you have to assemble it yourself. If that's what floats your boat, go for it. Your statement that it's "great for fixing foot problems" needs a citation, however.

leaftye
03-20-2013, 14:36
I've had a pair for a while. I like it, but the between the toe lacing means it can't be worn with warm socks. That's a bit limiting in camp. The biggest downside is I thought that it'd be almost impossible to get blisters in these, but that hasn't been the case at all. I like these for short training hikes at home though since they're a good workout for my feet and are good for toughening up the skin. If I lost my pair, I'd definitely buy another.

brooklynkayak
03-20-2013, 14:51
Regarding "great for fixing foot problems" needs a citation, however."
What I meant is that when competition runners run barefoot to fix foot problems/injuries, the Xero shoes can be worn as well. They have the same effect as barefoot running or walking.
Things like pronation, heel spur and arch problems come to mind.

On the subject of the sock issue. I have worn socks with mine from time to time without issue. If you have a problem with the between the toe strap, tie them using some of the other methods that don't go between the toes.

daddytwosticks
03-20-2013, 15:59
Solved my camp shoe issue. Bought a pair of croc/sandle hybrid shoes from Wal Mart yesterday for a little over 10 bucks. Weighs 8.5 ounces for a size 9. A little bulky. If they last a few years as occassional use camp shoes, I'm happy. :)

leaftye
03-20-2013, 16:12
On the subject of the sock issue. I have worn socks with mine from time to time without issue. If you have a problem with the between the toe strap, tie them using some of the other methods that don't go between the toes.

I wouldn't mind wearing it socks at home, but I wouldn't on the trail because I'd risk stretching out the sock.

I might get a second pair to try out some alternate lacing styles.

This may be a minor issue anyway. Last winter I walked around camp in slides without socks, and my feet didn't get cold. It was cold enough that I was wearing my down vest and rain jacket.

Swordpen
03-21-2013, 03:02
I could see taking a sturdy shoe insert, use paracord & a piece of Tyvek. Make a slip on sandal with this. Allows wearing socks with it, save your feet from atheletes foot in communal showers (which I got in the locker room of Univ Illinois years ago, & have never really gotten rid of it).

leaftye
03-21-2013, 03:17
I could see taking a sturdy shoe insert, use paracord & a piece of Tyvek. Make a slip on sandal with this. Allows wearing socks with it, save your feet from atheletes foot in communal showers (which I got in the locker room of Univ Illinois years ago, & have never really gotten rid of it).

I have a pair of flip flops I made from a blue foam pad that are shaped to fit into my shoes so that they can double as extra cushy insoles.

They feel so delicate that I'm always worried about breaking them.

XeroShoes
03-21-2013, 15:40
FWIW, we developed the FeelTrue outsoles in Xero Shoes with the former lead designers from Nike and Reebok and one of the top outsole makers in the world. They've got a 5,000 mile warranty and will outlast anything homebrew that you whip up. Plus, they roll or fold up, but are still sturdy and don't bend/flop (like the Tyvek idea).

Do with that what you will.

Spit Walker
03-21-2013, 15:59
Lunas are better IMHO
A bit more money but you get what you pay for...

Kookork
03-21-2013, 16:04
Lunas are better IMHO

A bit more money? 95 dollars Vs 20 dollars. no comparison.

XeroShoes
03-21-2013, 16:42
Lunas are better IMHO

There are a number of reasons why Xero Shoes are consistently rated higher than Lunas (e.g. http://www.therunningclinic.ca/en/runners-information/recommended-shoes.php, or as the "Best Huaraches" winner from Maple Grove Barefoot Guy).

We're totally waterproof, have multiple tying options, last longer, have more ground-feel, have the only sole made specifically for barefoot sandals, cost much less (especially when you consider the 5,000 mile warranty)... and then there are the fun color options ;-)

Spit Walker
03-26-2013, 13:52
I bought my lunas for 45 bucks
that was about a yr ago tho
They are My preference

brooklynkayak
03-29-2013, 09:46
I find the Xero shoes to be perfectly comfortable. The lightest durbale option I've seen.
They are minimalist and inexpensive.
I can't see spending $90+ for huaraches when the Xero's are perfect.
People think they are getting something better with the Lunas because they cost more. I don't belive in "you get what you pay for" in a lot of cases, the Lunas are way overpriced.
Huarches always have been and should be just a good sole and laces.
I'd make my own out of an old tire, but the Xero shoes are cheap enough I don't have to.

IndyMike
05-08-2013, 20:14
There are a number of reasons why Xero Shoes are consistently rated higher than Lunas (e.g. http://www.therunningclinic.ca/en/runners-information/recommended-shoes.php, or as the "Best Huaraches" winner from Maple Grove Barefoot Guy).

We're totally waterproof, have multiple tying options, last longer, have more ground-feel, have the only sole made specifically for barefoot sandals, cost much less (especially when you consider the 5,000 mile warranty)... and then there are the fun color options ;-)

These look like a great idea. I wear out at least two pairs of flip flops every year (Reef, Havaianas, or Sanuk) and the pricing sounds great.

BostonBlue
05-08-2013, 22:43
When you are hiking or crossing a river, I find it difficult to believe from looking at them that they would have the needed support. Maybe for sitting around at camp - yes.

Crusinsusan
05-09-2013, 00:13
When you are hiking or crossing a river, I find it difficult to believe from looking at them that they would have the needed support. Maybe for sitting around at camp - yes.

I had been looking at something likes the xero, but I wanted a camp/river fording shoe, so I got the Vivobarefoot (http://www.benosh.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/vivobarefootultramens-600x562.png) for $35 at 6pm.com. (mine didn't come with the insert, which is fine by me, since the ones with the insert seem to start at $60)

Perfect river fording (stays on!) and for those ankle-deep rainy days, as well as a great camp shoe.

Crusinsusan
05-09-2013, 00:19
Hmm....should have said VivoBareFoot Ultra Pure (http://www.amazon.com/Vivobarefoot-Womens-Ultra-Pure-Crimson/dp/B005F0T1LE/ref=sr_1_1?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1368072845&sr=1-1&keywords=vivobarefoot+ultra+pure). My pair weigh 8 oz (4 oz each by my scale)...more than the Xeros, but I won't lose them in a river either.

I don't see the appeal of the Xero.

leaftye
05-09-2013, 01:06
The Xero Shoes aren't going to come off your feet unless you're not putting them on correctly.

Crusinsusan
05-09-2013, 12:50
While crossing a river? With muck-suck? I disagree.

leaftye
05-09-2013, 14:01
While crossing a river? With muck-suck? I disagree.

And then I disagree that your shoes will stay on. Both are strapped to your foot with cords after all.

Crusinsusan
05-09-2013, 20:09
And then I disagree that your shoes will stay on. Both are strapped to your foot with cords after all.

I'm okay with your choice (the first "shoe") for you. But for me, I choose the red ones. So be it.

Kaptain Kangaroo
05-09-2013, 22:30
Hmm....should have said VivoBareFoot Ultra Pure (http://www.amazon.com/Vivobarefoot-Womens-Ultra-Pure-Crimson/dp/B005F0T1LE/ref=sr_1_1?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1368072845&sr=1-1&keywords=vivobarefoot+ultra+pure). My pair weigh 8 oz (4 oz each by my scale)...more than the Xeros, but I won't lose them in a river either.

I don't see the appeal of the Xero.

I'll add my vote for the Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure. I have a pair & they are the best campshoes/river shoes I've had. I love my Crocs, but these are lighter & much more compact (sometimes half my pack volume seemed to be taken up with my Crocs !!). They are easy to slip on, are very comfortable for extended walking & can be easily worn with socks in cold weather & are enclosed enough to keep your socks off damp ground (something I find a problem with sandal type footwear like the Xero)

leaftye
05-09-2013, 22:49
I'm okay with your choice (the first "shoe") for you. But for me, I choose the red ones. So be it.

I'm okay with your choice too, but let's be honest. Footwear that it tied on isn't coming off. I don't think Xero shoes would be good for crossing creeks, but it's not at all because it'd come off.

bflorac
05-09-2013, 23:24
I have a pair of the Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure. Without a doubt the best camp shoe around. I've had other hikers offer to buy them from me on the trial.
1) ultralight
2) tied to your feet for that long, steep, wet walk from a shelter down to the water, yet you can loosen them up for a relaxed fit.
3) go on in a snap for any midnight pee escapes.
4) compressible (although I just clip them to the outside of my pack)
5) soooo comfy. I wear them at home too.
6) Wear them in the water, they don't get soaked (also use for stream crossings)

I could not find the "pure" version on their web site. You may have to buy the "ultra". It is the same but comes with a removable sock. (you can still find the "pure" on amazon)

Helas
05-25-2013, 09:20
Nice shoes. I really surprised after read your post and also after check your link. It is really appreciable. I would like thanks to you that you share this post here with us. Money is nothing for me but quality is matter more then money. I hope it'll be comfortable.