PDA

View Full Version : need a camp site between low gap and blue mountain shelters

fizz3499
03-20-2013, 16:12
I will be hiking the Georgia section of the AT starting at the AFSP approach trail through to Hiawassee with my husband starting May 3rd. He's doesn't have a lot of hiking experience so I planned on trying to stay at both the hiker hostel and the Walasi-yi hostel. After we leave neels gap I had planned on staying at the Whitley gap shelter. The problem is the next shelter at low gap is to close and the following shelter at blue mountain is more then likely going to be to far for him to hike in one day. Does anyone know of any nice places we could camp between these two shelters? I would really appreciate and information you all could give me Thanks.

yellowsirocco
03-20-2013, 16:24
Chattahoochee Gap. The trail between Low Gap and Blue Mountain is really easy though so you might could make it to Blue.

max patch
03-20-2013, 17:21
Forgive me if i am pointing out something you already know, but there cabins near neels gap if you rather have more privacy than the hostel provides and the whitley gap shelter is actually 1.25 miles off the AT on a blue blaze trail.

solobip
03-20-2013, 19:17
And it is a rather steep climb out in the morning. I would press on to low gap if you could. I bet he will be lad he did.

flemdawg1
03-20-2013, 19:20
I went to Low Gap from Neels. Left about 9, got there about 3.

fizz3499
03-23-2013, 07:11
Thanks everyone for all the help I appreciate it

Chaco Taco
03-23-2013, 07:25
That area is pretty wide open. Just walk off trail when you are ready to stop. You will have no issue finding a spot to camp. Id push on towards Blue and either stop short or go just past it. Like I said though, there is really a lot of open camping along this stretch and you should be good to go.

I will be hiking the Georgia section of the AT starting at the AFSP approach trail through to Hiawassee with my husband starting May 3rd. He's doesn't have a lot of hiking experience so I planned on trying to stay at both the hiker hostel and the Walasi-yi hostel. After we leave neels gap I had planned on staying at the Whitley gap shelter. The problem is the next shelter at low gap is to close and the following shelter at blue mountain is more then likely going to be to far for him to hike in one day. Does anyone know of any nice places we could camp between these two shelters? I would really appreciate and information you all could give me Thanks.

jesse
03-23-2013, 07:36
...whitley gap shelter is actually 1.25 miles off the AT on a blue blaze trail.

Ditto...Whitley Gap is a good destination, but not if you are continuing on the trail.

Ox97GaMe
03-24-2013, 22:12
I used to maintain the trail in this section when I as with the GATC. There are several great campsites in that area. Three that have access to good water sources are: Chattahoochee Gap. Campsite 1.0m N of Chattahoochee (on left). Campsite 1.25m N of Chattahoochee (trail goes through the middle of the site, and is near the old Blue Mtn shelter site). There are several other nice places to camp, but not close to springs. There are no restrictions about camping in that area, other than to be off the trail and leave no trace.