PDA

View Full Version : "Southbounders" movie

trippclark
06-24-2005, 10:45
I got an e-mail this morning that pointed me to a write-up about a new movie called, "Southbounders"

There is a review at
http://www.filmthreat.com/Reviews.asp?Id=7601

Has anyone seen this movie and/or heard anything about it? I did not find any reference to it in earlier Whiteblaze threads.

Tripp

trippclark
06-24-2005, 11:04
Found another article at
http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/05222005/mike/43617.htm

Footslogger
06-24-2005, 11:14
I shot the author of one of the articles an e-mail requestion info on how to obtain a copy. Let's see what he says ....

'Slogger
AT 2003

trippclark
06-24-2005, 12:16
I found the official movie site at

http://www.southbounders.com/

I sent an e-mail to Ben, the director/producer asking about availability and plans. We'll see . . .

Moon Monster
06-25-2005, 13:10
So, is this the first dramatic/fictional effort to encompass a thru-hike? I've seen novels that had the AT as a setting, but none were about thru-hiking. It screened at the LA Film Festival, which is a big deal. Wait til Sunday the 26th to see how it fared in that competition.

Here's the IMDB link (which is still thin at the moment):
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0463032/

colbys
06-26-2005, 21:51
i was wondering what took so long for someone to do a fictionalized at movie.always thought it would be a compelling subject.although everyone,listen up,if this flick ever gets off the ground and gets some press,its just more attention to the at and the numerous hordes and masses of people it will attract....could be bad for the trail...overuse like we never have seen... notto mention the proposed walk in the woods movie...we could finally be seeing the AT thrust into the 90% of the popuace that have never heard of it...
i recommend to everyone,if your goin to do another thru-hike(myself)or attempt one.......DO IT SOON!!!

trippclark
06-27-2005, 14:54
I found the official movie site at

I sent an e-mail to Ben, the director/producer asking about availability and plans. We'll see . . .

I don't think I have ever replied to my own post before :D but I just got a reply from the director/producer/writer for Southbounders. Sounds like the movie may be available as a DVD in the near future. Here is what he says:

On 6/27/05, Ben <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Tripp,
>
> Thanks for contacting me. Keep your fingers crossed; in the coming months, I
> hope to have things in place so that I can sell the DVD online. I'll make
> sure to give you a heads up when I do!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben

Footslogger
06-27-2005, 15:43
Tripp ...I just got the same e-mail from Ben. Who knows, maybe getting to inquiries back-to-back will push the process along a little faster.

'Slogger

Moon Monster
06-27-2005, 20:31
Not so good review here, apparently we are all hippies and flower children:
http://www.lacitybeat.com/article.php?id=2261&IssueNum=107

Mags
06-28-2005, 12:58
Not so good review here, apparently we are all hippies and flower children:
http://www.lacitybeat.com/article.php?id=2261&IssueNum=107

Here's the "OUCH" line:

"...and there’s something faintly disturbing about the film’s unspoken suggestion that all this natural beauty is really meant only for the athletic and the attractive."

Obviously, they haven't seen me. Atheltic? Attractive? Not me. :D

Footslogger
06-28-2005, 13:04
Here's the "OUCH" line:

"...and there’s something faintly disturbing about the film’s unspoken suggestion that all this natural beauty is really meant only for the athletic and the attractive."

Obviously, they haven't seen me. Atheltic? Attractive? Not me. :D===================================
Not to mention the fact that it leaves out us centrum silver hikers ...

'Slogger

trippclark
10-21-2005, 13:18
I just saw that this movie is now available for purchase on DVD or VHS

Any of y'all seen it yet?

the goat
10-21-2005, 13:53
Any of y'all seen it yet?
yup, i had a six-month viewing in 2001 and another one in 2003 :D

Mags
10-21-2005, 14:36
I had a 5 month viewing in 1998. No love affair with an attractive blonde in my viewing. Perhaps I should have seen the director's cut?

In 2002 I saw the sequel called "Paific Crest Trail". Still no love affairs with attractive blondes in this viewing.

In 2006, the long awaited third part of this trilogy is coming out called "On the Divide". I took a sneak peak at the script. The author did write in parts for love affairs with attractive blondes. Not sure if this part of the script will make it into the actual production phase or not. Suspect the theme of eating Sncikers and not showering will be repeated. They were popular motifs in the earlier two films. May explain why the main character never had love affairs with attractive blondes in the previous two movies.

(Also saw some smaller films too. "In the Green Mountains" (twice) and "In the Colorado Rockies". Alas, no attractive blondes in those films as well.)

tlbj6142
10-21-2005, 15:09
Any of y'all seen it yet?The trailer makes it out to be some sort of chick-flick.

the goat
10-21-2005, 15:13
i actually met these people when they were filming @ rainbow stream shelter up in ME. it didn't click in my head until i watched the trailer on their website. they had this huge group of people, mostly crew, and had taken up the whole shelter. most of them were cool, but there were defintiely a couple of a$$holes that were like, "can ya'll shut up for a second, we're trying to film here."....i had to keep another hiker from kickin that dude's a$$.

jlb2012
10-21-2005, 15:16
i actually met these people when they were filming @ rainbow stream shelter up in ME. it didn't click in my head until i watched the trailer on their website. they had this huge group of people, mostly crew, and had taken up the whole shelter. most of them were cool, but there were defintiely a couple of a$$holes that were like, "can ya'll shut up for a second, we're trying to film here."....i had to keep another hiker from kickin that dude's a$$.

Sounds like they should have had a special use permit from NPS - I wonder if they did?

Skyline
10-21-2005, 16:02
Looks good. Just ordered a copy.

BE CAREFUL with the ordering process. When I just ordered, they had the default set for you to order FOUR copies! If you don't use their interface to change it to ONE copy (or how many you really want) you'll get four, and your CC will be charged for four. Hope that's some kind of bug and not intentional.

trippclark
10-21-2005, 16:06

BE CAREFUL with the ordering process. When I just ordered, they had the default set for you to order FOUR copies! If you don't use their interface to change it to ONE copy (or how many you really want) you'll get four, and your CC will be charged for four. Hope that's some kind of bug and not intentional.

Skyline,

I just ordered one also and did not get a default value at all. Perhaps it is your browser auto-fill settings. If set on your system, and you previously entered a "4" on another form with the same field name, it would default a 4 on this form. That is one possibility anyway. However, if that is what it is, this could also happen to others!

Tripp

Skyline
10-21-2005, 16:12
Skyline,

I just ordered one also and did not get a default value at all. Perhaps it is your browser auto-fill settings. If set on your system, and you previously entered a "4" on another form with the same field name, it would default a 4 on this form. That is one possibility anyway. However, if that is what it is, this could also happen to others!

Tripp

I don't recall ordering a quantity of 4 of anything recently, but even if I did this sure is a lousy way for any software to behave fraught with the danger of winding up with more items than you wanted--not saying it's the filmmakers' website's fault.

Sly
10-21-2005, 16:43
For anyone that's interested there'll be a screening of Southbounders at the Southern Ruck over MLK weekend at the NOC.

More details about the SoRuck coming in November.

SavageLlama
11-05-2005, 10:41
I see it's up on Amazon..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BWM5T6/102-7884762-9087325?v=glance&n=130&s=dvd&v=glance

SGT Rock
11-05-2005, 10:43
I hope to be there. I want to see it.

Footslogger
11-05-2005, 14:27
Got my copy this past week but haven't had the time to plug it in and watch. Plan to do that this weekend and will comment then.

Reason I wanted to see it (other than the fact that it dealt with the AT) was that it was more of a "story" with actors and actresses, rather than a documentary. I several of the documentaries and like them all but thought it might be fun to see a thru hike "acted out".

'Slogger

Husko
11-07-2005, 23:46
Not sure I'm interested. At first I thought it would be like Trek, but from the trailer it looks more like just a couple that have plans to become movie stars with bad acting and staged by someone who has a few dollars to invest with a bad script.

Man, I hate posting negativly on this forum. Sorry.

Footslogger
11-08-2005, 12:00
Watched our copy last weekend. Some of the acting isn't all that hot but for me the magic was (and always is) seeing places along the AT that I passed on my thru in 2003.

All in all it's not a bad film to have in your "rainy day" collection of DVD's. I'm glad I bought it and will no doubt look at it again several times this winter when the trails out here in Wyoming are impassible.

'Slogger

MDSHiker
11-08-2005, 12:18
Well, how did I miss this thread??
I just read it and I appreciate all the info everyone passed along. Hopefully, I'll get to see it soon.

Sly
12-28-2005, 01:28
I just finished watching a copy that Ben Wagner filmmaker and '99 southbouder sent me for screening at the SoRuck next month.

There are a few mileage and chronicle order mistakes, but other than that, I thought it was pretty good. The "plot", characters and actions believable and I'm sure very familiar to some. The original score and scenery were great.

Much better than Blair Witch Project, as the LA critic suggest. I wonder how much long distance hiking that guy has done?

Anyway, if anyone is coming to see it at the SoRuck, bring some buttered popcorn and Jujubes! ;)

Frosty
12-28-2005, 10:38

BE CAREFUL with the ordering process. When I just ordered, they had the default set for you to order FOUR copies! If you don't use their interface to change it to ONE copy (or how many you really want) you'll get four, and your CC will be charged for four. Hope that's some kind of bug and not intentional.Just went to the website. If you click ORDER the default is one copy. If you go back to main page, click ORDER a second time, the default is two copies. If you go back to the home page yet again and click ORDER again, the default is - you guessed - three copies. Do it once more and you have a default of four copies. Of course, it will show four copies on the final CLICK TO CONFIRM YOUR ORDER page, but I can see how you could miss it if you were just clicking next without reading. Been there, done that to my dismay on other sites.

QHShowoman
01-10-2006, 10:42
I received this movie yesterday as a belated Christmas gift and watched it last night. I liked it, but was a little disappointed, overall.

The scenery was beautiful and made me want to get out and do the trail ASAP, but I thought the character/plot development was a little thin and dialogue sparse. I felt that this was probably a good "first draft" of what "Southbounders" could've been. (Does that even make sense?)

I guess I wished we would've known more about what was going on in the main characters' heads ... from my experience knowing thru-hikers and reading trail journals, I could only assume.

Honestly, though, I really think you'd need a six-month long movie to do an entire thru-hike justice!

Newb
01-12-2006, 22:12
I drank the hiker Kool-aid and ordered one myself. My wife and plan to watch it when it arrives. Such exciting romantic lives we lead.

Pendraggin
03-07-2006, 16:13
Howdy all. This is "Slackpack"...yup, that one. I'd like to thank those of you who've posted for your input and thoughts (positive, negative and otherwise) on the film.

It was made with the hope that it would give people (certainly those people new to, or unfamiliar with, long-distance hiking) the flavor of what it's like to go down the Trail...and hopefully be of some entertainment value as well, in addition to getting everyone outside and supporting their local, regional and national hiking sites and trails.

The film is still going strong, showing at festivals and, this Spring, at some towns in the region of the AT.

At any rate, just wanted to give a nod to all those who've supported the film and been willing to post their thoughts and feelings on it.

Regards,
Christopher McCutchen, aka Slackpack

Sly
03-07-2006, 16:23
Hey Slackpack!

I was looking for your return to the trail after your conjugal visit from your lovely wife! That seen was so funny! You played a great and easily believable character! Thanks for the laughs!

Sly
03-07-2006, 16:27
BTW, I may be able to arrange for a viewing of Southbounders at the ALDHA Gathering this October. I'll email Ben and the coordinators.

Maybe one of you could be there to present it? Bring your "wife" and Olivia! ;)

Newb
03-07-2006, 16:33
Alright. I couldn't resist and picked up a copy. If you're a trail addict you'll get a kick out of the movie. It's definitely low budget, and thin on plot, but I enjoyed it.

Footslogger
03-07-2006, 16:36
[quote=Pendraggin]Howdy all. This is "Slackpack"...yup, that one. I'd like to thank those of you who've posted for your input and thoughts (positive, negative and otherwise) on the film.
======================================
Who did you "understudy" in getting ready for your part in the movie ??

'Slogger

Sly
03-07-2006, 17:10
It's definitely low budget, and thin on plot, but I enjoyed it.

You expected a Hollywood production? :rolleyes:

The plot may be thin but the story line happens quite often. I'd liked the little things like tossing unnecessary items in the hiker box and having others pick them out, witnessing the hikers get stronger and switching to Lekis, the still shot of the real Keith on his stoop... the "gets" as filmmaker Ben Wagner called them in an inroductory letter he sent along with the film to the SoRuck.

Pendraggin
03-07-2006, 17:16
Thanks for the (incredibly quick) responses.

Sly - Thanks much. That scene was also fun to film, though probably not as much as it looked like, what with a camera 2 feet away and a crowd of people just out of view. There was actually some talk of Slackpack coming back, and we even filmed a little something to run during the closing credits. However, time constraints and whatnot led to that not being in the final film (there is easily 2-3 hours of material that didn't end up in the film).

In terms of the event, the only thing I can tell you is to contact Ben and see if it can be arranged. Couldn't say whether any of us could make it there, as everyone's schedule is busy and different. But you never know...

Newb - Thanks. It is low budget. Don't know how much indie film you've seen, but I've seen a lot since this project got going, and I feel that our film looks like it was shot on 24k gold compared to how some other digital films look.

I'd agree with the plot comment. However, I don't think that's a bad thing. The story is about these people and what they go through internally as much as externally...a lot like the experience of hiking the AT itself. It is a bit more of a European-feeling film (emphasis on character rather than plot/action) than a typical Hollywood movie, so you're dead on there, mate.

Footslogger - If you are asking me if I based the role on any one person, the answer is "not really". When the writer/director was on his thru-hike, he traveled with a guy he says was a lot like Slackpack. Having done a decent amount of hiking myself (though never an AT thru-hike), I sort of mashed up a lot of people I know and have met, including family members. Throw in a good amount of behind the scenes improv (ala Spinal Tap and the like) and you got Slackpack.

Thanks again.
Slackpack

Skyline
03-07-2006, 17:32
I don't know about the comment that this is a "chick flick." What exactly is a "chick flick" anyway? I mean, I heard a reviewer call "Brokeback Mountain" that, and it really confused me. But I'm easily confused sometimes. Anyway, I think AT hikers regardless of gender would like this movie.

It's not so great that it threatens to become critical mass, so the AT won't get overrun because of it. Then again, who would have thought "Blair Witch" would have developed a following. BTW, "Southbounders," IMHO, has slightly better production qualities than "Blair."

"Southbounders" starts like so many other AT video/journals, only this one goes SOBO. It evolves into a light ensemble drama with a little comedy, starring believable characters. Two of them may or may not have a romantic interest in each other. There are identifiable places and trail legends along the way--including the late Keith Shaw it would seem in declining health. They got a couple towns out of order and/or mis-identified. I could suggest ways it might have been improved, but my name isn't Roger Ebert. For those who are really into the AT experience, it gets a thumbs-up anyway.

It's a good addition to my trails video/DVD collection--and definitely different than any of the others. It's an hour and a half of adequate entertainment.

Footslogger
03-07-2006, 18:16
[quote=Pendraggin]Thanks for the (incredibly quick) responses.
Footslogger - If you are asking me if I based the role on any one person, the answer is "not really". When the writer/director was on his thru-hike, he traveled with a guy he says was a lot like Slackpack. Having done a decent amount of hiking myself (though never an AT thru-hike), I sort of mashed up a lot of people I know and have met, including family members. Throw in a good amount of behind the scenes improv (ala Spinal Tap and the like) and you got Slackpack.
=====================================
That's kinda why I asked ...because I met a few "Slackpacks" during my thru in 2003.

'Slogger

Marta
03-07-2006, 22:14
Slackpack--I really enjoyed the movie when I saw it at the SoRuck, so I bought a copy and have showed it to my family quite a few times. My husband likes vicariously hiking the AT with the characters. We enjoyed your character a lot...and especially like it when "the old lady" shows up.

blindeye
03-08-2006, 07:32
got a copy 3 weeks ago. iwas hoping for a documentry not a scripted plot. a little cheesy i thought

MOWGLI
03-08-2006, 08:34
a little cheesy i thought

I liked the flick even though I was sitting on the hard linoleum floor at the SORUCK. It was laugh out loud funny at times - and it was a blast watching it with 50-60 other hikers. Anyway, I always enjoy a little cheese with my trails.

MOWGLI
03-08-2006, 08:36
got a copy 3 weeks ago. iwas hoping for a documentry not a scripted plot. a little cheesy i thought

Wanna sell your copy Blindeye? Ill give you .50 on the dollar.

Lone Wolf
03-08-2006, 08:37
I liked it too. Too many documentary-type DVDs out there. They're just visual journals. "Southbounders" is different.

Newb
03-08-2006, 09:08
You expected a Hollywood production? :rolleyes:

The plot may be thin but the story line happens quite often. I'd liked the little things like tossing unnecessary items in the hiker box and having others pick them out, witnessing the hikers get stronger and switching to Lekis, the still shot of the real Keith on his stoop... the "gets" as filmmaker Ben Wagner called them in an inroductory letter he sent along with the film to the SoRuck.

I said I enjoyed it. I really did. I think it captured the essence of the experience.

Skyline
03-12-2006, 10:25
Just watched it for the second time. You always notice little things you missed during successive views.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the music yet. Mostly accoustic, with solo vocals, the majority by Jay Nash. Given the copyright dates in the credits, one might wonder if most of the songs were not composed specifically for this movie. Anyone know?

Regardless, the music is fantastic IMHO. Anyone know if a soundtrack has been put together on a CD? Where to buy it?

One other thing I missed the first time was a credit near the end: "Thanks to Keith Shaw for being a shepherd to thousands..." (hope I got that right).

Pendraggin
03-13-2006, 16:52
Marta - Thanks; glad you enjoyed it. A lot of people like the sequence with Joliette (my "old lady"). In fact, the only person who hasn't liked it is my actual "old lady" :)

blindeye - Fair enough. We were trying for a "documentary style" in the film-making itself (though not so much in the exacting details - hence the parts that are slightly off in terms of mileage and/or location - it's all "dramatic effect").

MOWGLI16, L. Wolf & Newb - thanks much

Skyline - I agree that the music is great. Jay Nash did do the vast majority of the songs and he did the score (all the instrumentals). I can't speak for the writing of the songs, but the score was specific to the film. I believe some of the songs were as well. There is also a rumor of a soundtrack being produced and available soon - it's a strong rumor, but still a rumor at the moment.

Slackpack

blindeye
03-13-2006, 22:42
i watched the movie again and i liked it more the second time around, SO iguess i may have been a little harsh at first. i did enjoy the scenery i'll be seeing next year.

springerfever
12-28-2007, 20:39
Just watched the movie for the first time and was blown away by the scenery and photography. Definately a different type of AT movie (which is a nice change) and addresses a lot of the common issues, such as....know it all hikers.....wanting to give-up......the constant references to FOOD....etc.

Great soundtrack !!

Mags
12-28-2007, 23:43
In 2006, the long awaited third part of this trilogy is coming out called "On the Divide". I took a sneak peak at the script. The author did write in parts for love affairs with attractive blondes. Not sure if this part of the script will make it into the actual production phase or not. Suspect the theme of eating Snickers and not showering will be repeated. They were popular motifs in the earlier two films. May explain why the main character never had love affairs with attractive blondes in the previous two movies.

Damn..don't you just love old threads that get brought back to life. :D

The third part of my trilogy did indeed have lots of Snickers and many days without showering. As expected, the torrid love affairs with attractive blondes did NOT make the final production version.

There were many cows, however, added at the last minute to the script.

The main character would much rather have torrid love afairs with attractive blondes than fight mooing cows for water.

Reports indicate the 2006 release of "On the Divide" is much more satisfying than the 2007 release titled "In the Cubicle" :(

Being serious: I enjoyed the scenery, the music and the twist ending was rather cool. Little things popped up that brought a knowing smile. Watching it with a group of thru-hikers at the Rockies Ruck two years ago was akin to the Rocky Horror Picture Show for hikers: We all added our comments out loud. :)

Tennessee Viking
12-28-2007, 23:58
Just watched the trailer, for a minute there I thought something horrible was about to happen.

Turn into something like The Hills Have Eyes or Wrong Turn, or the Hostel.

Sly
12-29-2007, 00:06
Just watched the movie for the first time and was blown away by the scenery and photography. Definately a different type of AT movie (which is a nice change) and addresses a lot of the common issues, such as....know it all hikers.....wanting to give-up......the constant references to FOOD....etc.

Great soundtrack !!

There'll be a Southbounders DVD, courtesy of Survivor Dave, in the raffle to benefit the ATC/ALDHA at the Southern Ruck. See Cuffs for tickets! :)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/soruck/#Other_Happenings

Tennessee Viking
12-29-2007, 01:55
Bring a copy to Trail Days

kayak karl
12-29-2007, 05:58
Just went to the website. If you click ORDER the default is one copy. If you go back to main page, click ORDER a second time, the default is two copies. If you go back to the home page yet again and click ORDER again, the default is - you guessed - three copies. Do it once more and you have a default of four copies. Of course, it will show four copies on the final CLICK TO CONFIRM YOUR ORDER page, but I can see how you could miss it if you were just clicking next without reading. Been there, done that to my dismay on other sites.
i tried to order dvd before christmas, got to the new account part and noticed i was not on a secure site. decided not to give info. i just found it on amazon

Survivor Dave
12-29-2007, 06:54
The soundtrack for "Southbounders" is available on iTunes and probably some other places. Just great stuff. It was kind of cool to listen to the entire songs cruisin' down the winding highway mountains of Ga.
I find playing it on the way to go hiking gives that extra mental boost!. Although the movie is fictional, I think most hikers enjoyed it.

Good luck to the raffle winners at 08' Soruck!
Happy New Year!!!!

SD

Marta
12-29-2007, 07:18
The soundtrack for "Southbounders" is available on iTunes and probably some other places. Just great stuff. It was kind of cool to listen to the entire songs cruisin' down the winding highway mountains of Ga.
I find playing it on the way to go hiking gives that extra mental boost!. Although the movie is fictional, I think most hikers enjoyed it.

Jay Nash's album, "Some Kind of Comfort," has the best stuff from the movie track. I've ended up listening to that more than the soundtrack album.

Funny this thread should crop up. I haven't watched a movie at home in a long time but the other night, when we got home from the Christmas trip to my parents' house, I got my sleeping bag, stretched out on the floor, and watched..."Southbounders." :rolleyes: I've been off the Trail too long.

TOW
12-29-2007, 07:43
There'll be a Southbounders DVD, courtesy of Survivor Dave, in the raffle to benefit the ATC/ALDHA at the Southern Ruck. See Cuffs for tickets! :)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/soruck/#Other_Happenings
Sly, will we be able to buy the tickets once we get there?

Sly
12-29-2007, 07:56
Sly, will we be able to buy the tickets once we get there?

Oh yeah. Cuffs promises to sell the snot out of 'em!