PDA

View Full Version : hitch hiking?!?

gizzy bear
03-20-2013, 18:05
I read a lot of posts where people mention hitching a ride to and from trails & into towns... I'm not so sure I could do that.... How do you know good people from bad people?!? Do they have special bumper stickers that read "I don't kill people" ??

Ox97GaMe
03-20-2013, 18:28
rofl. It is understandable to be hesitant about just jumping in a strangers car. But on the AT, it is common place. the trail doesnt go through large cities or high crime areas and most of the people that are driving the rural roads are locals and understand the nature of hikers hitching in and out of town. This isnt like trying to hitchhike across America on the interstates. After a couple of weeks on the trail, you will see how common place this is in the hiking circles. That is not to say that you should let your guard down. There is still the possibility of a shady character or two that you would meet. If you dont feel comfortable getting into the car of the person that stops, just thank them and wait for the next ride.

Have a great hike.

gizzy bear
03-20-2013, 18:43
Well as I read on a another thread... A lot of hikers look like Jesus ... Jesus is good :) and thanks !!!

Fur Queue
03-20-2013, 19:14
I read a lot of posts where people mention hitching a ride to and from trails & into towns... I'm not so sure I could do that.... How do you know good people from bad people?!? Do they have special bumper stickers that read "I don't kill people" ??

You can't tell, I hitch hiked from Amsterdam to Greece and then up to Sweden, what I learned is that it's best to never put your pack in the trunk, always have it to hand or on your lap if you have to...that way you can get out whenever the vehicle is stationary...

RedBeerd
03-20-2013, 19:27
I was nervous the first time and then it took like 30 minutes so I thought I was doing something wrong. But you end up meeting really cool people. In one trip into and out of town I met a pot smoking former DEA agent (former for a reason it seems) and a very elderly lumberjack guy who spent 20 minutes praising the health benefits of chiropractic care.

But anyways..I thought people carry guns on this site?

gizzy bear
03-20-2013, 19:30

You can't tell, I hitch hiked from Amsterdam to Greece and then up to Sweden, what I learned is that it's best to never put your pack in the trunk, always have it to hand or on your lap if you have to...that way you can get out whenever the vehicle is stationary...

That's good advice... But if I felt threatened... I wouldn't want my pack... I'd want to run like the wind... Not a turtle ;). I will be hiking with my boyfriend... BUT I swear I dont know if I can get in the car with a stranger :/ it's funny because I remember my dad picking up hitch hikers when my sister & I were young... I wasn't scared then... But the thought right now, is very scary to me.

garlic08
03-20-2013, 19:34
There's not even a huge need to hitchhike. At some popular trailheads you might arrive with a day hiker who you've chatted with the last few hours and they'll offer a ride. If you have a cell phone and plan on staying in town, you can call for a ride. On my AT thru, I didn't need to hitch until New Hampshire, over 1800 miles into the hike, and I only hitched three times total.

gizzy bear
03-20-2013, 19:49
I was nervous the first time and then it took like 30 minutes so I thought I was doing something wrong. But you end up meeting really cool people. In one trip into and out of town I met a pot smoking former DEA agent (former for a reason it seems) and a very elderly lumberjack guy who spent 20 minutes praising the health benefits of chiropractic care.

I didn't say we wouldn't be packing ;) I deal with homeless people & have never been scared ... But I feel like I control in those situations... Getting into a stranger's vehicle makes me feel vulnerable ...

leaftye
03-20-2013, 19:50

That's a good idea for other reasons. Some hikers I gave a ride left some newly purchased gear in my trunk. I didn't realize it until the next day. I didn't have any luck finding them.

I like having a compact pack to easily put on my lap. It's the main reason I'm trying to move to soft bottles instead of my big 1.8 liter gatorade bottles, and also the reason I prefer an air mattress instead of a foam pad.

They're really good for getting a ride, but you might not end up where you wanted. ;)

There's not even a huge need to hitchhike. At some popular trailheads you might arrive with a day hiker who you've chatted with the last few hours and they'll offer a ride. If you have a cell phone and plan on staying in town, you can call for a ride. On my AT thru, I didn't need to hitch until New Hampshire, over 1800 miles into the hike, and I only hitched three times total.

Good idea. Yogi a ride. They might have some left over trail food too.

gizzy bear
03-20-2013, 19:51

I see myself like pee wee Herman on his big adventure... LARGE MARGE!!! oh my!!!

Another Kevin
03-20-2013, 19:59
That's a good idea for other reasons. Some hikers I gave a ride left some newly purchased gear in my trunk. I didn't realize it until the next day. I didn't have any luck finding them.

Was it on the A-T ? If so, a shout out here might have been in order; more people read WB from the trail than will admit to it, and the hiker grapevine will carry the message.

Special K
03-20-2013, 20:04
I remember in the 70's we used to hitchhike everywhere. Yes, there were some strange ones, but for the most part older ladies would stop just as much as men. You will be fine especially since you will be hiking with your boyfriend. Just have him hide in the woods so you can get a ride faster.

leaftye
03-20-2013, 20:24
Was it on the A-T ? If so, a shout out here might have been in order; more people read WB from the trail than will admit to it, and the hiker grapevine will carry the message.

Unfortunately not. It was the PCT/JMT. It was in 2011. Since then I've encouraged hikers to keep their packs on their lap to prevent accidental losses.

Fur Queue
03-20-2013, 20:34
That's good advice... But if I felt threatened... I wouldn't want my pack... I'd want to run like the wind... Not a turtle ;). I will be hiking with my boyfriend... BUT I swear I dont know if I can get in the car with a stranger :/ it's funny because I remember my dad picking up hitch hikers when my sister & I were young... I wasn't scared then... But the thought right now, is very scary to me.

You are unlikely to be or feel threatened...you are much more likely to want to leave a vehicle for countless other reasons...a dog trying to lick your lips off, the driver swigging from and then passing you a bottle of vodka...poor driving in general...the whole vehicle reeking overwhelmingly of chicken poop...etc etc..(all true by the way)...the pack on the lap allows for a friendly, polite and assertive exit without having to ask the driver to do anything else for you and minimize any possible offense being caused...

fiddlehead
03-20-2013, 20:42
I've hitchhiked a lot.
Often times it is the best part of a travel adventure.
When people ask me what is the best time I ever had, I am reminded of the time I was picked up by a truckload of aborigines in the Australian outback and we had the greatest jam on their digireedoos and my guitar. Priceless for sure.

The people who pick you up hitchhiking are the open minded people of the world.
Not the scared sheep who watch too many cop shows.

Of course now-a-days with police recommending people pack heat, times are different.
Last time I hiked, and got into a car that was questionable (as to the intent of the driver), I surprised him with a quick question (before getting in):
I said "Do you have a gun"
When he quickly (I watched his eyes) answered no, I got in and we had a great conversation on the way.

To each his own of course, but it'll be a sad day in America when no one hitchhikes anymore.

snorz
03-20-2013, 22:57
Actually,it is illegal to hitch in NJ. I don-t know if local or SP enforce the law regularly.

Lone Wolf
03-20-2013, 23:31

if you're not comfortable with hitching then have a good phone that can reach all shuttle drivers and pay out the butt. otherwise be like the rest of us and just hitch. never heard of anyone in the past 30 years havin' a bad hitch

Train Wreck
03-21-2013, 00:28

Don't know about that particular bumper sticker, but this one's available on ebay as we speak :D

HikerMom58
03-21-2013, 07:01
You are unlikely to be or feel threatened...you are much more likely to want to leave a vehicle for countless other reasons...a dog trying to lick your lips off, the driver swigging from and then passing you a bottle of vodka...poor driving in general...the whole vehicle reeking overwhelmingly of chicken poop...etc etc..(all true by the way)...the pack on the lap allows for a friendly, polite and assertive exit without having to ask the driver to do anything else for you and minimize any possible offense being caused...

I've heard countless stories about this kind of thing happening while hitching! No thanks! I'm sure, like everything else in life, there's a lot of good experiences to counter the bad ones.

RCBear
03-21-2013, 07:38
Ted Bundy was always there to help a pretty lady out with a ride when she needed it. Not sure what his bumper sticker read though.

RCBear
03-21-2013, 07:40
.... or was it Al Bundy.

perrymk
03-21-2013, 07:41
never heard of anyone in the past 30 years havin' a bad hitch
That's because they're never heard from again.:D

My only suggestion to the OP is sit next to a door. All vehicles must slow down eventually and you can jump and roll, or at least you can tell yourself that. If the person took the time to rig the locks you're doomed anyway.

I made the mistake of getting in the backseat of a two-door years ago. Fortunately they dropped me off but where they thought I should want to go, not where I thought I wanted to go.

I've had hitchhikers get smart with me (threaten, etc.), one reason I seldom pick them up anymore. I wouldn't say I never pick someone up, but the circumstances have to be just right for me.

Malto
03-21-2013, 08:35
I've hitchhiked a lot.
When people ask me what is the best time I ever had, I am reminded of the time I was picked up by a truckload of aborigines in the Australian outback and we had the greatest jam on their digireedoos and my guitar. Priceless for sure.

Of course now-a-days with police recommending people pack heat, times are different.
Last time I hiked, and got into a car that was questionable (as to the intent of the driver), I surprised him with a quick question (before getting in):
When he quickly (I watched his eyes) answered no, I got in and we had a great conversation on the way.

To each his own of course, but it'll be a sad day in America when no one hitchhikes anymore.

My experience matches this as well. Some of my best memories of my thru hike were the people I met while hitching to resupplies but also back to civilization (Seattle) after finishing. I was a bit apprehensive at the start of my hike, even though I had hitched a few times while hiking in the Sierra. Once I figured out there I was actually providing a service it became easier. What was the service? I was providing someone a little bit variety to their otherwise routine day. There is also that little feeling of victory when you score a ride from the first car to pass after 20 minutes, you are momentarily on top of the world. It's the little things in life.....

coach lou
03-21-2013, 08:49
I think you 2 should try an experiment. Gizzy hides in bushes, RC holds out his thumb.......RC hides in bushes, Gizzy holds out her thumb. I hope it's not Raining when RCs out there!

Dogwood
03-21-2013, 09:04

You severely over estimate the danger of a ride potentially killing you. When you get into your own vehicle to drive every time do you first consider that you may die in your own driving related accident? NO. Same with hitching. The difference is that a hitch entails greater unknowns and it's the lack of familiarity that you fear. Trust your gut Trust you will feel things out correctly with potential rides. Turn off the fear based TV. Put down the fear based newspaper. Instead, embrace faith and wisdom! You'll live more happily and get more done. Here's a hitching hint from someone who has literally hitched 100's of rides throughout the U.S. with a wide variety of folks - when applicable I choose to ask for rides at gas stations, overlooks, convenient stores, at entrances to National and State parks, trail heads, etc rather than simply by sticking out a finger alongside the road. This way not only can I assess a potential ride in person but they can also assess me thereby reducing the unknowns.

bear bag hanger
03-21-2013, 09:16
I did a lot of hitching during my 2004 thru hike. Never had a problem with anyone trying to rob or murder me, but had one ride into Helen, GA in which the driver seemed to be in a big hurry and I wasn't sure either one of us was going to make it. I was in the back of her pickup truck (people in pickups are much more likely to pick you up than in any other kind of vehicle) and she was sliding the tires around every curve. Can't really tell you how to tell a bad guy from a good guy. For some reason the bad guys don't wear signs.

RCBear
03-21-2013, 09:17
I think you 2 should try an experiment. Gizzy hides in bushes, RC holds out his thumb.......RC hides in bushes, Gizzy holds out her thumb. I hope it's not Raining when RCs out there!

I always thought you did an experiment because you were'nt sure what the outcome would be? I feel pretty comfortable that I already know the answer to this one. :-)

And I'm also quite sure that as Gizzy was closing the car door, she would make sure to shout out to the bushes that another ride should be along shortly. :P

gizzy bear
03-21-2013, 09:49
Don't know about that particular bumper sticker, but this one's available on ebay as we speak :D

AMEN!!! i loathe those stupid stick figure people stickers... i saw one lady, once, that had like 47 cats and dogs represented on the back of her "mini van" ...and guess what?? she was ALONE... go stick figure...

gizzy bear
03-21-2013, 09:53
I always thought you did an experiment because you were'nt sure what the outcome would be? I feel pretty comfortable that I already know the answer to this one. :-)

And I'm also quite sure that as Gizzy was closing the car door, she would make sure to shout out to the bushes that another ride should be along shortly. :P

i am channeling a old "mr microphone" commercial here... i would just say "hey good lookin we will be back to pick you up later" ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ4z4xIygdo

gizzy bear
03-21-2013, 09:56
if you're not comfortable with hitching then have a good phone that can reach all shuttle drivers and pay out the butt. otherwise be like the rest of us and just hitch. never heard of anyone in the past 30 years havin' a bad hitch

a shuttle butt?!? :P

Half Note
03-21-2013, 09:57
I'm going to have to hitch at the very beginning of my trip. Taking a Greyhound from Dallas to Frederick and I'll need to get lucky and find someone going from Frederick to Harper's Ferry. I'm a jump right in the pool kind of guy I guess.

gizzy bear
03-21-2013, 09:58
all BS to the side ... i appreciate the "good" stories people have posted here... it is a comforting... although i am sitting behind a computer right now ;)

gizzy bear
03-21-2013, 10:07
That's because they're never heard from again :D

exactly!! dead people don't talk :P

mrcoffeect
03-21-2013, 10:12
last year i hitched from NOC to bryson city to get to a pharmacy, for shoe inserts. I walked about 20 min,then was picked up by a husband and wife heading in to town to hit the laundrymat. they dropped me at the pharm,went and did their laundry. came back gave me a ride to the grocerry store and post office then back to NOC. they said they were working at a motorcycle campground nearby. when i got back to NOC, I went to get my camera out of the outside pocket of my pack to take some pics of the place,it was then i found out that my camera had fallen out in the trunk of their car.
I remembered that they said they were working at a campground nearby, after about an hour of looking in phone book and calling information I tracked them down. They went and looked and sure enough they found it, drove a half hour around the mountain to bring me my camera. I tried for ten minutes to give them gas money, they flat out refused to take it. there are some really awsome people out there.

gizzy bear
03-21-2013, 10:18
I'm going to have to hitch at the very beginning of my trip. Taking a Greyhound from Dallas to Frederick and I'll need to get lucky and find someone going from Frederick to Harper's Ferry. I'm a jump right in the pool kind of guy I guess.

yeah...i like to wade in... RCBear.... is more like a spider monkey jacked up on mountain dew... so we will see... good luck to you!!

RCBear
03-21-2013, 10:20
Great story!

Rhanis
03-21-2013, 11:03
One of the biggest things about hitching, that I can't stress enough, is to trust your gut, and have an excuse ready. I've hitched a bunch, and never had a bad ride, and most of them were downright awesome, truth be told, but I was always ready to say "oh, jeez, thank you so much for stopping, but I just remembered I left my _____ back a few miles, and I have to go back and get it." (One time I had this real shady looking van with borded up windows stop for me, turned out to be a couple girls in high school moving a bunch of drums and guitars taking their dog to the vet, we smoked and they dropped me off just where I needed to be, but I was a bit nervous until they got out to open the door). Trust yourself, and especially since you are with someone you trust, you'll be fine with whatever you decide to do.

Weasleymum
03-21-2013, 12:29
don't know about that particular bumper sticker, but this one's available on ebay as we speak :d

i want that!

Gray Blazer
03-21-2013, 12:37
never heard of anyone in the past 30 years havin' a bad hitch

There's a good reason you don't hear from those folks.

coach lou
03-21-2013, 12:41
I've always been a pretty lucky hitch hiker. In Mass. I got picked up by a guy who worked for the local AMC person. Besides they have to be really crazy for ME to worry about them being crazy:eek:

gizzy bear
03-21-2013, 13:25
I've always been a pretty lucky hitch hiker. In Mass. I got picked up by a guy who worked for the local AMC person. Besides they have to be really crazy for ME to worry about them being crazy:eek:

coach lou .... i envisioned you walking along the road with your thumb out, your pack on... and wearing a "jason" mask :eek:

gizzy bear
03-21-2013, 13:26
Great story!

uhhh...cool story bro :P

coach lou
03-21-2013, 13:38
coach lou .... i envisioned you walking along the road with your thumb out, your pack on... and wearing a "jason" mask :eek:
That is not a mask......just me!:eek:

bamboo bob
03-21-2013, 13:45
A reality check here. Hitching is not a problem. You get picked up mostly by people who know what you are doing and want to help. You will be hitching into trail towns and will get picked up by other hikers, trail angels, and locals. Really not a worry. Especially the early towns there will be hostels with shuttle buses you'll have a hard time to avoid. Really it is not something to be concerned about.

gizzy bear
03-21-2013, 13:58
That is not a mask......just me!:eek:

then you are coach jason?!?!
;)

gizzy bear
03-21-2013, 14:01
A reality check here. Hitching is not a problem. You get picked up mostly by people who know what you are doing and want to help. You will be hitching into trail towns and will get picked up by other hikers, trail angels, and locals. Really not a worry. Especially the early towns there will be hostels with shuttle buses you'll have a hard time to avoid. Really it is not something to be concerned about.

this seems to be the consensus :)

Hot Flash
03-21-2013, 14:14
Just have him hide in the woods so you can get a ride faster.

This is NOT the way to make your benefactor happy. In fact, if I stopped to pick someone up, and another person suddenly appeared from hiding, I'd hit the gas.

Gray Blazer
03-21-2013, 14:19
This is NOT the way to make your benefactor happy. In fact, if I stopped to pick someone up, and another person suddenly appeared from hiding, I'd hit the gas.

I'm saying.

max patch
03-21-2013, 14:23

I haven't read any of the other posts in this thread but I saw this and wanted to add a cautionary statement.

First, I've hitched before and I'll hitch again, but you are getting into a vehicle driven by someone you don't know.

The year I thru'd I hitched a ride from gettysburg back to the trail. The 20 something driver drove waaay too fast while he made numerous lane changes. It was the only time on my hike I was scared. I told him I wanted out and luckily he stopped and let me do so.

Also, a group of fellow thrus got a ride from someone in a pickup truck. The truck took a corner too fast and everyone in the bed of the truck was thrown clear. Luckily, just some bruises and minor cuts; I still don't know how someone was not seriously injured.

It seems like every year a hiker makes a commitment not to get in a car during their thru. its possible to hike without hitching, although it certainly adds a layer of complexity.

gizzy bear
03-21-2013, 14:31
I haven't read any of the other posts in this thread but I saw this and wanted to add a cautionary statement.

First, I've hitched before and I'll hitch again, but you are getting into a vehicle driven by someone you don't know.

The year I thru'd I hitched a ride from gettysburg back to the trail. The 20 something driver drove waaay too fast while he made numerous lane changes. It was the only time on my hike I was scared. I told him I wanted out and luckily he stopped and let me do so.

Also, a group of fellow thrus got a ride from someone in a pickup truck. The truck took a corner too fast and everyone in the bed of the truck was thrown clear. Luckily, just some bruises and minor cuts; I still don't know how someone was not seriously injured.

It seems like every year a hiker makes a commitment not to get in a car during their thru. its possible to hike without hitching, although it certainly adds a layer of complexity.

i was thinking earlier that catching a ride in the back of a pick up would seem to be the best bet... that is UNLESS you are riding in the back of a pick up jeff gordon is test driving ;)

MDSection12
03-21-2013, 14:41

I just sent you a PM. I live in Frederick and drive to HF frequently... If timing works out I can get you down there. :)

max patch
03-21-2013, 14:47
i was thinking earlier that catching a ride in the back of a pick up would seem to be the best bet... that is UNLESS you are riding in the back of a pick up jeff gordon is test driving ;)

obviously you are one of the 28 million people that have seen this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5mHPo2yDG8

FatHead64
03-21-2013, 14:53
obviously you are one of the 28 million people that have seen this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5mHPo2yDG8

I LOVE that video. If I had been drinking milk, it would have come out my nose and all over the keyboard. Trying to 'splain it to the other people in the meeting would have been akward.

Special K
03-21-2013, 14:54

I was saying it in jest. My partner will be 76 years old! I hope my benefactor would not feel the need to speed off!

gizzy bear
03-21-2013, 15:01
I was saying it in jest. My partner will be 76 years old! I hope my benefactor would not feel the need to speed off!

of course you were!! it made RCBear and i laugh!!!

bredler
03-21-2013, 15:05
More anecdotal evidence here.

I was nervous the first time I hitched but I've not had a bad experience in about 10 hitches. I would recommend walking to where you're going and when you hear a car coming turn around, keep walking backwards and stick your thumb out and try to make eye contact. Most people who picked me up were in pickup trucks, including a Catholic priest, a Polish waitress, a guy from Wyoming, etc. I got a mega friendly vibe from everyone who picked me up. I felt a little sketchy about one ride (with the priest) but that was just because I underestimated how far my destination was and I felt like I was being driven somewhere I didn't want to be. I just politely asked to be dropped off and he was cool with it and let me out with well wishes.

Just use common sense and your (hopefully) well-developed abilities of judging character. If something smells fishy, don't take the ride but be polite.

Cheers and happy hiking.

Special K
03-21-2013, 15:07
Actually, my father will be WAY ahead of me! He's a much stronger hiker than I am. Looks like I'll be the one in the bushes and he'll have secured a ride long before I get there. Just hope our benefactor won't speed off when they see ME coming out of the brush!!! :eek:

Dogwood
03-21-2013, 16:21
AMEN!!! i loathe those stupid stick figure people stickers... i saw one lady, once, that had like 47 cats and dogs represented on the back of her "mini van" ...and guess what?? she was ALONE... go stick figure...

If one of the social climbing married yuppies have these stick figures on their vehicle it can be assured a soccer ball and baseball mitt on the seat will have to be removed before being able to get in the SUV or mini van and you will have dog hair, probably labrador or some type of retriever, on you and your gear after exiting the vehicle. Would like to be the millionaire who came up with the simple idea though. Only in America, the land of the free and home of the money.

Dogwood
03-21-2013, 16:33

The most concerned thing about this is the ride on Greyhound, SERIOUSLY, especially if you booked on a Fri-Sun. Shouldn't have to expand on this concern further. After many a Greyhound rides, which are more aptly described as ORDEALS, I realized I probably should have hitched.

Dogwood
03-21-2013, 16:50
.... At some popular trailheads you might arrive with a day hiker who you've chatted with the last few hours and they'll offer a ride...

I've used this strategy to get many a rides. If I suspect someone is leaving from a trail head that I want a ride from I chat it up being genuine but at some pt ask or get them to a pt where they will offer a ride. That's the true art of yogiing, when you can get what you want by having others offer it. Then, possibly offer $5 to show you are willing to pay for them sharing their resources. Win win. Again, this removes more of the unknowns by seeking a hitch face to face rather than sticking the impersonal thumb out to motorists flying along safe in their vehicles not having to deny you asking personally.

Dogwood
03-21-2013, 16:53
I've hitchhiked a lot.

My sentiments too. Rarely though have I seen LEOs advise the public arming themselves with a firearm.

MuddyWaters
03-21-2013, 19:43
I think the presumption today by people not used to the idea, is that there must be something wrong with someone that would pick up hitchhikers. I mean, everyone knows you'd have to have bad intentions, or be crazy to do that.

And if you are referring to scruffy people walking down the side of the US Interstate with an old duffel bag, or near a State Prison, you would probably be right.

AT hikers, havent killed anyone yet, I dont think.

Mountain Mike
03-22-2013, 01:30
Make a sign out of a piece of Tyveck "AT hiker to Town/Trail" It can be a section of your groundcloth or a sit pad. It helps.

TheYoungOne
03-22-2013, 09:01
Here is a youtube video of a 2012 thru hiker talking about hitchhiking. Some of the stuff he mentions is kind of funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLVuR3vGAI0

Hairbear
03-22-2013, 09:24
.... or was it Al Bundy.
Al bundy was not a killer with the ladies .lol

HikerMom58
03-22-2013, 09:25
TheYoungOne... great video. Really good tips!
I can relate to the "tell me your story", piece. That would be me. I love to help the hikers out but yeah, my reward is hearing their story... enter my "other" trail name.. "Spanish Inquisition." Their stories, to me, are the BEST!

Once again -MM is right on it. :D

FatHead64
03-22-2013, 09:34
TheYoungOne... great video. Really good tips!
I can relate to the "tell me your story", piece. That would be me. I love to help the hikers out but yeah, my reward is hearing their story... enter my "other" trail name.. "Spanish Inquisition." Their stories, to me, are the BEST!

Once again -MM is right on it. :D

So, HMKDSI? :D

eatapeach
03-22-2013, 10:58
I got a ride from an older couple in Shady Valley, TN, and it got weird. These people were in their 70s, and the dude put his hand down the woman's shirt and offered me a shot at it, too. I politely declined. It was crazy.

Dogwood
03-22-2013, 11:26
Enjoyed the video The Young One. Probably added some level headed calmness to the whole idea of hitch hiking from those not accustomed to it not only with the verbal content you brought to it but with the Zen like atmosphere with doing it outside in the visual sunshine and having the wind chimes and birds chirping in the back round noises. Yeah, sights and sounds play a big part in communicating ideas. Plus, your casual calm demeanor and appearance play into the video.

Dogwood
03-22-2013, 11:29
Hey, The Young One, I heard Spielberg is looking for someone like you. Maybe, you have a career in acting or doing more home made videos.

HikerMom58
03-22-2013, 11:38
So, HMKDSI? :D

Rasty wants me to go with that trail name.. go figure. ;) :D

Hey, The Young One, I heard Spielberg is looking for someone like you. Maybe, you have a career in acting or doing more home made videos.

Is it the Young One on that vid. or did he just post a vid of a 2012 hiker?

max patch
03-22-2013, 11:40
I got a ride from an older couple in Shady Valley, TN, and it got weird. These people were in their 70s, and the dude put his hand down the woman's shirt and offered me a shot at it, too. I politely declined. It was crazy.

Didn't you write about this in Penthouse? :)

max patch
03-22-2013, 11:41
How in the world can you talk about hitching for 8 minutes? Not interested enough to watch.

Dogwood
03-22-2013, 12:26
Hiker Mom, have been wondering about you pic. Was it taken while you were on a tread mill?

HikerMom58
03-22-2013, 12:42
No, not a tread mill Dogwood. I was running in a 5k race to raise money for the local Greenway project. https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p206x206/485770_353121174750427_1037544895_n.jpg

That's better.... It's kinda blurry...

Dogwood
03-22-2013, 12:56
Kinda figured. Looked like you were running or perhaps one heck of a fast hiker on a mission to get somewhere fast.:)

Dogwood
03-22-2013, 13:01
Roanoke Valley Greenway project? My sister in law's parents live near Roanoke. My brother has told me about these pathways. Pretty cool you helped raised money for this.

LIhikers
03-22-2013, 14:08
Since taking up section hiking the AT, my wife and I have probably done everything we warned our children to never do :)

HikerMom58
03-22-2013, 14:16
Kinda figured. Looked like you were running or perhaps one heck of a fast hiker on a mission to get somewhere fast.:)

I'm always "on the run" when I post on WB.. I sit down for a minute... post something then, I run off to do something else.. repeat! :O)

Roanoke Valley Greenway project? My sister in law's parents live near Roanoke. My brother has told me about these pathways. Pretty cool you helped raised money for this.

That's really cool about the family connection to Roanoke! :) We use the Greenway a lot! They are expanding it all the time. Love it. We are running again on May 11th. It's called Gallop 4 The Greenways. It's fun & like you said, helps them raise money for a cool project! :cool:

Whooops! Now, back to hitchhiking... :)

HikerMom58
03-22-2013, 14:18
Since taking up section hiking the AT, my wife and I have probably done everything we warned our children to never do :)

Ahh.. that's funny.. I don't think I could ever hitchhike myself. :)

Special K
03-22-2013, 15:23

EEEWWWWW!! He offered you a shot down her Shady Valley. That's pretty gross!! :eek:

Frozen Achilles
03-22-2013, 15:24
What not to do: Do not accept a ride if a white panel van coasts up beside you as you are walking along and follows you for a little bit. Then the door opens and you peek in and then get in and the guy doesn't say anything. He's twice your size. It's a hot day and he has sweat on his face and tells you that you can put your pack in the back of his nearly empty van. A fly is bothering him and he says something irritatedly like " I've been trying to kill that fly all day" and proceeds to grab his fly swatter and attempt to kill it. Then he gives you a ride to the top of the mountain and pulls into the parking lot near the AT crossing and is annoyed when he finds another vehicle with workers maybe having lunch. Then he practically begs you to stay and have lunch with him. Fortunately, I didn't put my pack in back and was able to open the door and leave and not become a statistic. Later, I heard that someone in the Hagerstown area in a white van had been molesting youngsters. This occurred years ago after I had been visiting the Antietam battlefield and was headed back to where the AT crosses the road up on the ridge.
99% of the time, hitchhiking is no problem. You sometimes get picked up in interesting vehicles by interesting folk. I've been picked up by a beer truck(against company policy), hay truck that was heading down into Franklin from Winding Stair Gap, a just married couple who offered some of their alcohol, drunk kids who drove way too fast, a whacked guy(typical Vermonter) who thought the feds were tapping his phone, etc.

TheYoungOne
03-22-2013, 16:07
Rasty wants me to go with that trail name.. go figure. ;) :D

Is it the Young One on that vid. or did he just post a vid of a 2012 hiker?

For the record, that is not me. I wish I was that young and thru hiked already.