PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding GSMNP thru hike on AT?

rodonne1
03-20-2013, 20:03
I'm wanting to hike the GSMNP portion of the AT IN August and just not sure if I'm reading this correctly. From all the information that I've gathered, AT hikers can only camp at the shelters along the trail and must stay in the shelter unless it's full then they can stay in a tent. So my question is, can I not tent camp away from the shelters along the AT in the GSMNP? Thanks in advance! -Robbie

Slo-go'en
03-20-2013, 20:20
If your only section hiking the AT through GSMNP, you MUST stay at shelters and you MUST get reservations to do so. If you arrive and the shelter is full, but one or more are actual thru-hikers (which is not too likely in August), they must leave and make room for you.

You can only tent (and at the shelter site) if you a thru-hiker and there is no more room in the shelter. To qualify as a thru-hiker, you must start AND finish the hike at least 50 miles before and after the park.

Please go to the park web site and read the rules and regulations...

rodonne1
03-20-2013, 21:54
How would they know if you're starting and ending 50 miles outside the park? Do the thru hikers who tent camp still have to do so at the shelters or can they set tents anywhere along the trail?

mtntopper
03-20-2013, 22:17
How would they know if you're starting and ending 50 miles outside the park? Do the thru hikers who tent camp still have to do so at the shelters or can they set tents anywhere along the trail?

Well you tell them if your hike started 50 miles and is ending 50 miles outside the park...........if the shelter is full and you are qualify as a thru hike you may tent camp only at the shelter......you may not camp just anywhere along the trail

MuddyWaters
03-20-2013, 22:50
How would they know if you're starting and ending 50 miles outside the park?

You can bet they are able to ask a few questions to test your knowledge of where you claim you came from too, as well as where you are going, if they have any suspicion that you arent being truthful.

You also have to stay at the shelters you have reservations at, if you arent a thru -hiker.

However, in slower times, in the past, some people did just ignore their reservations and hope for space at another shelter. The fee may put a stop to that, because may not be as many no-shows as used to be.

sliderule
03-21-2013, 09:54
If your only section hiking the AT through GSMNP, you MUST stay at shelters and you MUST get reservations to do so.

Note that "only section hiking" by generic definition can qualify as thru hiking by NPS definition.
Also note that not a​ll authorized campsites on the AT in the GSMNP involve shelters.

TNhiker
03-21-2013, 15:59
Also note that not a​ll authorized campsites on the AT in the GSMNP involve shelters.

there's only one non shelter site along the AT in the Park......

That's #113 aka Birch Spring Shelter (they tore the shelter down years ago)....

rodonne1
03-21-2013, 18:30
there's only one non shelter site along the AT in the Park......

That's #113 aka Birch Spring Shelter (they tore the shelter down years ago)....

Thanks guys, so all but one campsite on the AT in the park do have shelters.

Does anyone know if there's any side trails to tent sites that are just off the AT that you can stay at in a tent? Guess it's not the end of the world, I just always prefer my tent to the shelters. Thanks again!

rodonne1
03-21-2013, 20:01
Just a thought, does anyone know of a better 70-80 mile non-AT hike through the GSMNP that has better views, creek crossings, etc...???? That you can tent camp without the shelters?

SGT Rock
03-21-2013, 20:08
The Benton MacKaye Trail. Start at Big Springs and hike to Bryson City and that might make your hike.

rodonne1
03-21-2013, 21:17
The Benton MacKaye Trail. Start at Big Springs and hike to Bryson City and that might make your hike.

Do you have to make reservations to camp along the Benton MacKaye trail in the park?

SGT Rock
03-21-2013, 23:53
You must have reservations now to camp anywhere in the park. The BMT only has one shelter, but has about 24 campsites.

sliderule
03-21-2013, 23:55
Just a thought, does anyone know of a better 70-80 mile non-AT hike through the GSMNP that has better views, creek crossings, etc...???? That you can tent camp without the shelters?

Overall, when it comes to views, nothing is going to come close to the AT. Plus, in August, you will appreciate being on the ridge.

rodonne1
03-22-2013, 22:36
Overall, when it comes to views, nothing is going to come close to the AT. Plus, in August, you will appreciate being on the ridge.

That's what I was thinking, I would really like to see Clingmans Dome too, with the AT staying on top of the ridges mostly, what's the water supply like in August?

SGT Rock
03-22-2013, 22:53
Depends on the year. But at times it can be pretty bad. In 2007 all sources south of double springs were dry in August.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

gollwoods
03-24-2013, 14:38
does anyone know if there is a website where someone could research the park and all of it's rules instead of asking the most basic questions?
why yes ,sir that would be the GSMNP website, free and available 24 hrs a day to those with a brain.

rodonne1
03-24-2013, 20:22
does anyone know if there is a website where someone could research the park and all of it's rules instead of asking the most basic questions?
why yes ,sir that would be the GSMNP website, free and available 24 hrs a day to those with a brain.

Great! Now that you've informed us with this new information, it seems we don't need this website anymore unless we don't have a brain... Thanks gollwoods!

thebrewguy
03-24-2013, 20:39
So are there backcountry rangers walking the trail and checking at the shelters to make sure people follow these rules? Interrogating hikers if they try to setup a tent? I ask because I'm a dedicated hammocker and don't want to sleep in a shelter with mice crawling over my face. I switched to a hammock because it makes a big difference in my sleep. If I HAVE to sleep on a shelter platform it'll make my night awful and my back hurt. Isn't that a fair reason to setup next to the shelter?

SGT Rock
03-24-2013, 20:54
Well I would say it is a fair reason. I've never been hassled by a ridge-runner over it on the use of hammocks either.

On the other part of your question: yes, there are now going to be rangers patrolling the back country looking for violations. This is something new and we have no idea how they will look at this since by the letter of the GSMNP rules compendium you are going to be required to sleep in the shelters if you have a reservation for it, and if you are a thru-hiker and there is space available in the shelter.

madgoat
03-25-2013, 10:39
Over the last several years I have spent 60 or so nights at backcountry sites in the park. In that time, I have only been asked for my permit on one occasion. (And that was within 10 minutes of a trailhead, by a ranger who was leading a volunteer work crew)

I don't expect this to change much, even though they said that enforcement was part of their new permit fee. This doesn't change my approach though. I will continue to make my reservations (and now pay the fee).

HooKooDooKu
03-25-2013, 14:19
So are there backcountry rangers walking the trail and checking at the shelters to make sure people follow these rules? Interrogating hikers if they try to setup a tent? I ask because I'm a dedicated hammocker and don't want to sleep in a shelter with mice crawling over my face. I switched to a hammock because it makes a big difference in my sleep. If I HAVE to sleep on a shelter platform it'll make my night awful and my back hurt. Isn't that a fair reason to setup next to the shelter?
I've seen someone setup a hammock IN the shelter before.

No Directions
07-04-2013, 09:59
I'm wanting to hike the GSMNP portion of the AT IN August and just not sure if I'm reading this correctly. From all the information that I've gathered, AT hikers can only camp at the shelters along the trail and must stay in the shelter unless it's full then they can stay in a tent. So my question is, can I not tent camp away from the shelters along the AT in the GSMNP? Thanks in advance! -Robbie

Robbie are you still planning to make this trip? I'm taking a week of vacation in late August to make this trip.