PDA

View Full Version : no hammock. no tent. thoughts?

2014hopeful
03-20-2013, 20:52
If I start with a hammock, I'll be cold. If I decide to buy a tarp tent, it means buying TWO shelters for one hike since I want to hang as much as possible and need a hammock as well.

How about this:

I buy a hex rain fly for my hammock. I buy my hammock. Then I get my hammock mailed to me at some point after Roan Mountain TN and up until that point, use the hex as a shelter with just a Tyvek ground cloth, pad, and bag.

My assumption is that it will be too cold for bugs until then.

Tell me I've figured out something that will work?

FatHead64
03-20-2013, 20:55
Laying on the ground with no insulation? You compress your bag below you. Believe me, you will get cold that way - you need insulation underneath. Especially when it is "too cold to hang". You also don't have a good way to stop any wind.

bigcranky
03-20-2013, 21:01
He'll have a pad. That'll work just fine.

2014hopeful
03-20-2013, 21:02
He'll have a pad. That'll work just fine.

She <3 <3 will have a pad :)

2014hopeful
03-20-2013, 21:03
Bigcranky, thank you. I always appreciate the multitude of opinions that come to the forums and that's why I post here, but sometimes it is really nice to just be told, "Yes. That's fine."

scudder
03-20-2013, 21:15
try out your set up in your yard during some crappy weather. if it satisfies, you know you have something that will work for you.

2014hopeful
03-20-2013, 21:25
I will do just that!

gunner76
03-20-2013, 21:26
Best to test under controled conditions so if it soes not work out the way you planed, you can change your gear before you get on the trail and find out you made a mistake.

FatHead64
03-20-2013, 21:42

Oops - re-reading it, I see you're right. Sorry - my bad.

bfayer
03-20-2013, 21:47
It will work no problem, but you will need to use hiking poles or something to set up your tarp.

If you already use hiking poles, never mind :)

cave man
03-21-2013, 00:09
If you prepare and set up your hammock properly you can use it in lower temps or just use your pad and rainfly to sleep on the ground if you want to, you can always hang if you wanted to...Using the pad in your hammock keeps alot cold off your back but not all. Most people will recommend getting underquilts but those can run 145-250 dollars. I managed to make one for alot cheaper than that with old gear. Check out HammockForums.com they got a ton of good info for making your own quilts.

I am testing my system out this week and its around 25 degrees tonight.

leaftye
03-21-2013, 00:55
A hammock plus a full tent is a heavy way to go. A lighter way to go is to get a net tent that can go on the ground under the tarp for your hammock.

broken arrow
03-21-2013, 02:34
use a pad with your hammock. you will stay warm in the hammock and you can go to ground when needed/wanted.

2014hopeful
03-21-2013, 02:49
I am in the Caribbean. I have a little nylon hammock--not asym, just for fun and lounging. I hiked to a beach today in 82* and when I set up my hammock on the windy beach just in the shade, I laid in it for about 10 minutes before I had goosebumps from the combination of air beneath and sweat. I realize I'll be dry when sleeping (hopefully) but I mean it was hot outside. I don't see me using it at all in weather under 50* even with a pad. I'm glad I tried it--I knew I got cold easy but I didn't realize how easy. I have been here for 3 months so I'm accustomed to the heat. Meh. I think I'll just not carry the hammock until later.

leaftye
03-21-2013, 03:09
use a pad with your hammock. you will stay warm in the hammock and you can go to ground when needed/wanted.

Are the JRB bridge hammocks still the preferred hammock to use with a pad?

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/bear-mountain-bridge-hammock-deluxe/

I've seen a hammock that incorporated a bathtub floor and netting that made it seamless to go to the ground. It may have been double layered to use with a quilt.

bigcranky
03-21-2013, 06:52

I am so sorry. Very bad assumption on my part.

kayak karl
03-21-2013, 07:27
i don't own a tent and when Kaia was a pup and wouldn't sleep in hammock i used my hammock tarp. left ridge line on it but switched to V setup. only needed one tree and no poles.

DeerPath
03-21-2013, 08:50
Bigcranky, thank you. I always appreciate the multitude of opinions that come to the forums and that's why I post here, but sometimes it is really nice to just be told, "Yes. That's fine."

Yes, That's fine.

bear bag hanger
03-21-2013, 09:01
You'll be fine with a pad and tarp on the ground, but you can setup the hammock to handle pretty cold conditions. If it gets too cold for your setup, just use the hammock on the ground like a bivvy or small tent using the hiking poles to hold the ends up. That way, you'll have options even during your start of the hike.

MDSection12
03-21-2013, 09:36
I am in the Caribbean. I have a little nylon hammock--not asym, just for fun and lounging. I hiked to a beach today in 82* and when I set up my hammock on the windy beach just in the shade, I laid in it for about 10 minutes before I had goosebumps from the combination of air beneath and sweat. I realize I'll be dry when sleeping (hopefully) but I mean it was hot outside. I don't see me using it at all in weather under 50* even with a pad. I'm glad I tried it--I knew I got cold easy but I didn't realize how easy. I have been here for 3 months so I'm accustomed to the heat. Meh. I think I'll just not carry the hammock until later.

I've hammock camped down to around 12 F with just a Wal-Mart CCF pad and a 15 F sleeping bag. I think you are underestimating how much a pad under you in the hammock will help. As you discovered, you will need a pad under you almost regardless of temps. I nap in my hammock at home sometimes and I still use a pad in the ~68 F house.

Check out HammockForums.Net if you haven't already.

flemdawg1
03-21-2013, 10:11
If you prepare and set up your hammock properly you can use it in lower temps or just use your pad and rainfly to sleep on the ground if you want to, you can always hang if you wanted to...Using the pad in your hammock keeps alot cold off your back but not all. Most people will recommend getting underquilts but those can run 145-250 dollars. I managed to make one for alot cheaper than that with old gear. Check out HammockForums.com they got a ton of good info for making your own quilts.

I am testing my system out this week and its around 25 degrees tonight.

+1 take the hammock, go to ground when necassary. Used a BA 15 deg bag and self-inflating pad down to mid-20s successfully in my hammock afew months ago.

Portie
03-27-2013, 19:56
I prefer a tarp for 3-season camping (Fall-Winter-Spring), and I have tarp camped in -20F weather in Northern Wisconsin and Minnesota and enjoyed myself (I had a -20 sleeping bag, and a closed-foam pad, and a space blanket ground sheet).

QiWiz
03-28-2013, 10:34
If I start with a hammock, I'll be cold. If I decide to buy a tarp tent, it means buying TWO shelters for one hike since I want to hang as much as possible and need a hammock as well.

How about this:

I buy a hex rain fly for my hammock. I buy my hammock. Then I get my hammock mailed to me at some point after Roan Mountain TN and up until that point, use the hex as a shelter with just a Tyvek ground cloth, pad, and bag.

You have figured out something that will work. Just make sure the fly is generously sized so that it provides adequate coverage for ground-sleeping.
As a testimonial, I have used a ZPacks cuben hammock tarp (have the version with "doors") to shelter two people sleeping on the ground.

Coosa
03-28-2013, 11:25
Watch Shug's videos .... you CAN camp in freezing weather with a Hammock.

https://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery

Meriadoc
03-28-2013, 11:44

How about this:

That will work just fine. I used my OES hex tarp (MacCat Deluxe) to go to ground for a big section of my thru. To keep it easy I still strung it between two trees but low to the ground to provide shelter. Using trekking poles works too. Site selection is more important than with a fully enclosed tent.

goheelz
03-30-2013, 19:36
you can supplement your pad with refectix (metalized bubblewrap insulation) available at the big box home stores. It's pretty light weight. you can lay it under your shoulders for a boost or run it the length of the hammock. It helps to have a double layer hammock to hold the pad securely.

DavidDillow
03-30-2013, 19:45
Spoken like a true Ray Jardine follower. BTW...I'm one too!

Tinker
03-30-2013, 21:28
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/5/0/2/dscn0736_thumb.jpg[/URL ([URL]http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=55594)]

Last weekend in Maryland. Of course it was only about 29 degrees, so I didn't carry my 1# full zip summer sleeping bag which I usually carry on winter trips. To see what my hammock looks like with my sleeping bag around it, look at my avatar to the left. In temperatures down to the teens I use the summer bag inside the outer bag, as a top blanket, and usually heat up my stainless water bottle by the fire and put it in an insulated hip belt water bottle holder when I take it to bed so I don't get burned by the bottle, which is probably around 190 degrees when I hit the sack. In a 10x12 tarp with the ends closed I have slept comfortably (with a light hooded down jacket and down booties) to +5 degrees on a windy night.