PDA

View Full Version : Camp Shoes?

jcheil
03-20-2013, 22:17
I see a lot of people mention crocks for camp shoes.
I find them to not be comfortable at all, so I was thinking maybe a lightweight pair of regular sneakers?
Does anyone know how much crocks actually weigh? Then at least I can compare the weight to a simple pair of sneakers.

I know some say just stay in your hiking boots/shoes but I am thinking I would either want to "air out" my feet at night, which means something like an open toe shoe, like a flip flop or something, but then I worry about having my bare feet exposed and injuring them around the camp or wearing something that is always "dry" and a "dry" pair of socks.

Is this practical? ...or am I overthinking it again (it's ok, be honest).

ShakeyLeggs
03-20-2013, 22:29
I use Keen sandals. They are a bit heavier but they work for me

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk 2

MuddyWaters
03-20-2013, 22:32
I see a lot of people mention crocks for camp shoes.
I find them to not be comfortable at all, so I was thinking maybe a lightweight pair of regular sneakers?
Does anyone know how much crocks actually weigh? Then at least I can compare the weight to a simple pair of sneakers.

I know some say just stay in your hiking boots/shoes but I am thinking I would either want to "air out" my feet at night, which means something like an open toe shoe, like a flip flop or something, but then I worry about having my bare feet exposed and injuring them around the camp or wearing something that is always "dry" and a "dry" pair of socks.

Is this practical? ...or am I overthinking it again (it's ok, be honest).

Weight depends on size obviously, but its somewhere around 8oz I believe.
Crocs have a very thick sole. The knock-offs are usually lighter. I saw another plastic shoe in a shoe store by K-Swiss the other day, looked more like a water shoe, seemed lighter than crocs, thinner more flexible sole.

Sneakers are heavy. Running shoes are much lighter.
If you go that route, take a pair of trail running shoes .
Then wear them to hike in
Ship your boots home when you come to the realization that you dont need both.

jcheil
03-20-2013, 22:51
If you go that route, take a pair of trail running shoes .
Then wear them to hike in
Ship your boots home when you come to the realization that you dont need both.

I will be hiking in a pair of Merrell moab ventilator mid.
They are quite light to begin with - more of a shoe than a boot. And I do have a light pair of trail runners that I was thinking of using around camp. They (the ones I am thinking for camp) weigh 1lb 9oz (not sure if that is a lot)

Hoofit
03-20-2013, 23:16
sneakers don't air your feet out as well as open footwear and I find that a welcome relief at the end of a day's hiking....
I used flip flops for the first thousand miles, they were comfortable and light, but yes, It's real easy to stub your toes in them, particularly on rocks around camp after dark.
So croks work for me, lightweight, good toe protection and they dry out fast if they get wet.....unlike sneakers that can get heavy and be a bitch to dry....

SCRUB HIKER
03-21-2013, 00:26
I've people say at various points that Crocs weigh 10oz for the pair. Obviously shoe size would make a difference on that, but sure, 8-10oz for a ballpark.

If you're using Moab Ventilators I don't know why you'd need the sneakers for camp, as that's basically what Moab Ventilators are. Why would you carry two pairs of the exact same shoe? If you're going to carry camp shoes, make it so that they do something that your hiking shoes can't do--like air out your feet (flip-flops) or spread your toes out (Vibram FiveFingers). I'm a big fan of el cheapo rubber flip-flops myself. I got my AT pair at Target; they cost $8 and I'm guessing weighed 6oz or so. They're not there anymore (at least not at my nearest Target), but I'm sure Wal-Mart or a drugstore or a truck stop has something similar.

leaftye
03-21-2013, 00:52
Slides are wonderful camp shoes. They're only a few bucks at Walmart. Lighter than Crocs, and make better shower shoes too.

daddytwosticks
03-21-2013, 07:21
Check out your local Wal-Mart. They recently started to stock spring/summer stuff in my area and I scored a cheap and light (8.5 oz) pair of croc-like water shoes. Very comfortable, airy, yet will protect the feet. They also have a variety of croc knock offs, slides, flip-flops, water shoes, etc. :)

johnnybgood
03-21-2013, 09:28
I've always worn crocs around camp and like their comfort level just fine. There are "croc liners " that can make them more cozy to wear called neoprene slippers, found here ; www.theunderwearguys.com/prod...products_id=218

These can also double for shower shoes when in town or at hostels.

soilman
03-21-2013, 10:09
My crocs weigh 19 oz. I bought them online thinking they weighed about 8 oz. I like them and find them comfortable. I carried them from Springer to Hanover then sent them home. I missed them the next day. I bought a pair of flip flops at Walmart outside of Gorham to replace them. I missed having something to wear in camp.

richmondhokie
03-21-2013, 10:13
I have done the boot thing, but when you have put them on to get out of your tent in the middle of the night to pee - a real pain. I brought Vibrams the next go-round (I section hike) - they are a bigger pain to slip on in the middle of the night. this time I brought a cheap pair of Croc knock-offs at CVS - close to half the weight of crocs - and easy to slip on and off.

fredmugs
03-21-2013, 10:15
Whatever you pick for camp shoes I would recommend getting something that doubles for water crossings. Crocs are very good for this because the rocks in the water don't kill your feet. If not crocs get something that secures behind your heel / achilles tendon. My first time in Maine I brought flip flops and the current sucked one right off my foot and I lost it.

Old Hiker
03-21-2013, 10:18
I wore an older set of crocs after getting into camp and setting up. I use a "night bottle", so never had to get up and out. Watch the soles - my old ones were slick from wear. My wife bought me a new pair that is put away until my second attempt in 2016.

After the first slip and fall, I stayed in my boots for water, camp set-up, etc. After that, boots off.

Harrison Bergeron
03-21-2013, 14:47
Weight depends on size obviously, but its somewhere around 8oz I believe.
Crocs have a very thick sole. The knock-offs are usually lighter. I saw another plastic shoe in a shoe store by K-Swiss the other day, looked more like a water shoe, seemed lighter than crocs, thinner more flexible sole..

Anybody know a source for knockoffs? Wallyworld doesn't stock em anymore.

Mr. Bumpy
03-21-2013, 16:00
I don't mind the weight of the keen sandals. The tow cap makes it practical for hiking in them when you get bad blisters and they are a lot more pratical than crocs for when the you get to the shelter, peel off your sweaty socks and boots, then find that the water source is 400 yards straight down off the ridgeline.

Kookork
03-21-2013, 16:20
Hiking community still need something to fit the bill for camp shoes. Ultralight and cheap and easy on foot and easy to carry. Crocks are cheap and relatively easy on foot but not Light or easy to carry.

Camp shoes(sandals or crocks or . . .) may look like luxuries but time after time I have found them almost a necessity. Still I am searching for the one that sail my boat though.

Tailhook
03-21-2013, 16:38
Agree with Daddytwosticks - I just purchased croc knockoffs from Walmart for about $9.50. used them for section from NOC to Fontana last weekend. worked great...very comfortable, and would be good for fording streams (velcro back strap).

Nooga
03-21-2013, 17:46
I used a pair of Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure last year on my thru hike. They weight 7 oz (pair) without the tongue (which is removable). I liked them, but they have thin soles and you definitely feet sharp rocks or roots. I recently purchased a pair of knock off crocks at Walmart that weight 8.8 oz (pair). I am debating which to carry on a section hike this year (Springer to Damascus). In fact, I am currently wearing one of each around the house trying to decide.

brian039
03-21-2013, 18:01
Start without camp shoes and see how that goes first.

MuddyWaters
03-21-2013, 18:14
Walmarts do carry them , sometimes.
In fact, last week for the first time ever, I saw X-large knock off in a Walmart, some brands stop at size 9-10, I guess thats as big as chinese feet normally get.

Check out Shoe Station for the Kswiss ones

daddytwosticks
03-22-2013, 07:39
Agree with Daddytwosticks - I just purchased croc knockoffs from Walmart for about $9.50. used them for section from NOC to Fontana last weekend. worked great...very comfortable, and would be good for fording streams (velcro back strap). Looking at mine closely, they are made from croc-like material, but resemble a sandle. Lots of holes for ventillation, yet do a good job of protecting the foot. Adjust with velcro. :)

bubonicplay
03-22-2013, 12:19
I like flip flops

fuquan
12-09-2015, 00:03
I just got a pair of crocs in the mail from Dicks. These blue crocs are size M10 / W12 and weigh 14.3oz. Was hoping they would be lighter. I don't know why but I suspect that different colors may have different weights. I plan to take a drill to these crocs and see how light I can get them without sacrificing structure. FWIW, my super-worn (big toe threatening to wear holes in the soul) Airwalk knock-off crocs (size ~M9) are 9.2 oz for the pair. But the Airwalks have been terrible as I have bashed my big toes a number of times on uneven sidewalks. That's my problem, I know, but it's one I must deal with. The rigidity of the toe on the crocs is welcome!

rocketsocks
12-09-2015, 01:13
I just got a pair of crocs in the mail from Dicks. These blue crocs are size M10 / W12 and weigh 14.3oz. Was hoping they would be lighter. I don't know why but I suspect that different colors may have different weights. I plan to take a drill to these crocs and see how light I can get them without sacrificing structure. FWIW, my super-worn (big toe threatening to wear holes in the soul) Airwalk knock-off crocs (size ~M9) are 9.2 oz for the pair. But the Airwalks have been terrible as I have bashed my big toes a number of times on uneven sidewalks. That's my problem, I know, but it's one I must deal with. The rigidity of the toe on the crocs is welcome!I think the Red ones are 14.285oz while the White is the heaviest weighing in at a whopping 14.675 oz.

4shot
12-09-2015, 08:26
I think the Red ones are 14.285oz while the White is the heaviest weighing in at a whopping 14.675 oz.

you have that backwards...the white weighs less because of less pigmentation in the paint, which gives it the color. However, if you like the red, you can lightly sand off the first coat (they use 2 coats) and you can get the red pair about .000412 ounces under the white ones while retaining the color. Use fine grit sand paper so you don't mar the surface.

Traveler
12-09-2015, 08:39
you have that backwards...the white weighs less because of less pigmentation in the paint, which gives it the color. However, if you like the red, you can lightly sand off the first coat (they use 2 coats) and you can get the red pair about .000412 ounces under the white ones while retaining the color. Use fine grit sand paper so you don't mar the surface.

Sanding would add to the manly look strived for with the red Crocs.

squeezebox
12-09-2015, 09:25
Anybody know a source for knockoffs? Wallyworld doesn't stock em anymore.
They do stock them, just not consistantly.

rocketsocks
12-09-2015, 09:28
you have that backwards...the white weighs less because of less pigmentation in the paint, which gives it the color. However, if you like the red, you can lightly sand off the first coat (they use 2 coats) and you can get the red pair about .000412 ounces under the white ones while retaining the color. Use fine grit sand paper so you don't mar the surface.I like when the paint starts to chip a bit, makes look worn and all hiker trashy like, also saves weight, so the more ya use em the lighter they get, it's a win win!

fuquan
12-09-2015, 13:42
After drilling one hole in the top of a croc, where all the other holes are, I realized that drilling is a waste of time. Almost ALL the weight of these things is in the soul (not ready to drill the souls because that's the part I like best). My unscientific measurement of the weight of the strap puts it at somewheres less than 10 g. Given that, it would be hard to take significant weight off of this foot apparel.

bemental
12-09-2015, 20:28
Vivo Barefoot Ultras with tongue removed = 11.5 ounces

Not as light, or as cheap as a seat of knockoff Crocs, but they do the job very well.

colorado_rob
12-09-2015, 20:41
Just my 2 cents.... My crocs weigh 10 ounces. they are "generic" knock-off crocs. I stopped carrying the extra 10 ounces when I realized if I take the in-soles out of my hiking shoes, and loosen the laces extremely so that my foot is very loose in the shoe, they are almost like a pair of slippers and vent very well. I usually also take off my socks. Voila, no "camp shoe" needed. Just my own modus operandi.

RangerZ
12-09-2015, 21:37
After drilling one hole in the top of a croc, where all the other holes are, I realized that drilling is a waste of time. Almost ALL the weight of these things is in the soul (not ready to drill the souls because that's the part I like best). My unscientific measurement of the weight of the strap puts it at somewheres less than 10 g. Given that, it would be hard to take significant weight off of this foot apparel.

Judging the quality of one's sole...

Christoph
12-09-2015, 22:35
I just used some dollar store flip flops for camp shoes. Most of the time they were only on my feet for the middle of the night treks to visit the woods and the rest of the time I was sitting on my butt letting my feet and legs rest. That's what worked for me but a lot of people I met had crocks. If I needed to get water if just throw on my unlaced hiking shoes for a minute.

JaketheFake
12-09-2015, 23:24
Judging the quality of one's sole...

Soul of a woman was created below.

JaketheFake
12-09-2015, 23:50
Soul of a woman was created below.

Sole of a croc was created below.

Scotch65
12-11-2015, 10:40
I used to carry Crocs. Too heavy in my opinion. As for flip flops, I have this thing against anything with a stick between my toes, just never been able to find comfort there. So this summer I went on a quest for the ultimate camp shoe.

I think I have found it. I contacted Ushoes (unshoesusa.com) asking about weight of a Pah Tempe sandle. They were to close to the weight of my crocs so no go. But then they emailed me back later and asked if I would test out a new ultralight version.

They are great. I haven't had them on the trial yet because I keep getting rained out, but after the holidays I will. I have worn them a lot around the house, at work, and on a couple of easy day hikes. I think they are going to be great. Can be worn with socks or without.

I don't think Unshoes has them offered yet, but I hope soon as I already want another pair.

OH - my size 12's weight in at 5.7 oz. for the pair.

Puddlefish
12-11-2015, 13:47

The pair on the left were Frankensteined out of an old pair of Columbia sandals. Split the sole in half, added some gutted paracord and nylon washers. 5.4 oz for the pair. Size 10.5. They're a pain to put on in a tent, in the middle of the night, half asleep, when you need to pee.

The pair on the right are made from a yoga mat and duct tape. 2.9 oz. for the pair. I haven't tested these on the trail. Super comfortable, but perhaps too squishy, I worry I'll squish out of the heel and turn an ankle on uneven terrain. The front toe strap was needed to keep the front half from flopping under. Just the wrong material choice. I'll recreate this design with the ubiquitous blue foam pad, I think it will be far lighter and safer.

squeezebox
12-11-2015, 22:08
Whatever happened to those cheap chinese slippers, very light , very cheap.

rocketsocks
12-12-2015, 00:38
I always liked the all rubber ones that looked like pro keds, but can't seem to find a picture of them.

redseal
12-13-2015, 13:31
Here is a comparison between Crocs and Vivobarefoots...http://www.backpackingengineer.com/gear-review-crocs-vs-vivobarefoot-ultra-ii/

squeezebox
12-13-2015, 15:56
Whatever happened to those cheap chinese slippers, very light , very cheap.

I googled Kung Fu shoes and found them about $10 plus shipping. Any idea how much a pair weighs?

capehiker
12-13-2015, 16:58
I used to carry Crocs. Too heavy in my opinion. As for flip flops, I have this thing against anything with a stick between my toes, just never been able to find comfort there. So this summer I went on a quest for the ultimate camp shoe.

I think I have found it. I contacted Ushoes (unshoesusa.com) asking about weight of a Pah Tempe sandle. They were to close to the weight of my crocs so no go. But then they emailed me back later and asked if I would test out a new ultralight version.

They are great. I haven't had them on the trial yet because I keep getting rained out, but after the holidays I will. I have worn them a lot around the house, at work, and on a couple of easy day hikes. I think they are going to be great. Can be worn with socks or without.

I don't think Unshoes has them offered yet, but I hope soon as I already want another pair.

OH - my size 12's weight in at 5.7 oz. for the pair.

This post makes me happy. I just posted a plea for help over on BPL asking for UL sandals for a size 12 under 10oz. 5.7oz for that style sandal is unheard of for a size 12. That style of sandal is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you for sharing your information.

shelb
12-14-2015, 01:43
Dollar Store crocs are my favorite - cheap, light, disposable!

Tennis Shoes - not a good idea in my opinion - heavy, hold water if get wet, chafing on blisters, etc.