PDA

View Full Version : Springer to Tesnatee... First time on this section... Thoughts/tips?

HangNhike
03-20-2013, 22:48
Last year 2 buddies and I hiked a section of the AT in Tenn. It was a great experience and have decided to try it again!

This time we are starting at Springer Mtn ( well Amicalola Falls State Park) and heading north to Tesnatee. 4 days, 45 miles. We are planning on staying at Stover Creek shelter the first night, Gooch the second, Blood mountain the third.

We aren't novice hikers but not the most experienced. How's the weather late April (24-27)? How Busy will it be? How hard of a hike is it for 3 slightly overweight fellas to do? The elevation doesn't seem too intense. Blood Mountain appears to have a rise but (on a map) doesn't look strenuous. We have it setup up to do 12-13 miles a day except for the last day which is 8. Is this a realistic goal for guys that don't hike a lot?

Any tips, tricks, ideas, thoughts, wisdom or other input would be greatly appreciated!

max patch
03-20-2013, 23:02
Unless you buy and carry a bear cannister, you can not stay on Blood Mtn until after 6/1. No camping between jarrard gap and neels gap 3/1 to 6/1 unless you have a bear cannister. So you will probably have to revise your schedule. I've never thot Blood going NOBO was any big deal.

max patch
03-20-2013, 23:07
Instead of Blood on nite 3 you may want to camp at Lance Creek which is the best spot just before the no camping zone. If you do that, you may want to camp on nite 2 at Justus Creek instead of Gooch Shelter (unless you like shelters) and make that days hike a bit shorter.

If you stay at Lance instead of Blood you may want to end your hike at Neels instead of Tesnatee. Play with the numbers and see what makes most sense.

HangNhike
03-20-2013, 23:16
Ok, good to know. Is it due too increased bear activity i assume?

I well break out my map and look at the spots you mentioned. I am hammock hanging so to me a shelter is useless, just using that as an area to camp

bigcranky
03-21-2013, 06:59
If you stay near Stover Creek on night 1, then Justus Creek on night 2, and Lance Creek on night 3, you'll probably just want to get off the trail at Neel's Gap at the end of the 4th day. I would, anyway, being a guy slightly overweight fella that doesn't get on the trail as much as I'd like these days. :)

I see that you are young guys, so maybe the up and down doesn't have the same effect. The elevation in Georgia isn't bad, but it does surprise many beginning hikers. The climb up Blood Mountain, for example, does go on for quite a while.

HangNhike
03-21-2013, 08:21
If you stay near Stover Creek on night 1, then Justus Creek on night 2, and Lance Creek on night 3, you'll probably just want to get off the trail at Neel's Gap at the end of the 4th day. I would, anyway, being a guy slightly overweight fella that doesn't get on the trail as much as I'd like these days. :)

I see that you are young guys, so maybe the up and down doesn't have the same effect. The elevation in Georgia isn't bad, but it does surprise many beginning hikers. The climb up Blood Mountain, for example, does go on for quite a while.

That sounds like a good idea. Its still like almost 40 miles and we do get to summit Blood mountain. Questions
1) I got one of the AT conservancy map kits and don't see Lance creek on there. Where is it located?
2) At justus creek and Lance creek, the map doesn't show designated camping. Is there good enough spots for 2 hammocks and one tent at each of these locations? Or are we just camping off the trail?
3) Ending at Neel's gap I see there is a highway. We were planning on placing a car at the finish. Where can we leave a car for the 4 days at Neel's gap?

bigcranky
03-21-2013, 08:31
Lance Creek is 3.2 miles north of Woody Gap. It's marked in the guidebook (AT Companion.) Both Lance and Justus have "official" campsites which are really obvious. Plenty of trees for hammocks.

You can park at the public USFS lot at Neels Gap, it's just down the hill from the trail crossing.

As far as planning goes, make a plan, then be flexible on the trail. Plenty of starting thru-hikers take 4 full days to get from Springer to Neels (five, if you do the Approach Trail.) 8 miles per day doesn't sound like much until you're doing it.

Have fun. Great section.

max patch
03-21-2013, 09:12
You can't park at Neels Gap while you hike - you'll get towed - but when you finish hiking you can drive there and check out the store and get something to eat. The parking area is 1/4 mile N of Neels at the Byron Reece parking area. When hiking N when you are 1 mile from Neels there is a blue blaze trail to the parking area. Clearly marked, you'll turn to the left.

03-21-2013, 17:04
I will make a suggestion, that may save your feet, knees, spirit.
Start at Spirnger mtn and skip the approach trail. Hike backwards to springer .9 mile and then go forward. for a 8.8 mile day to Hawk.
then to Gooch 7.3 miles
to lance creek 12.2mi
to neels gap 7.3 and if you skip the hostil there is a great camp site about a mile past the store.
Then go all the way to low gap shelter, 9.9 mi skipping whitley gap shelter
then go to unicoi gap 9.4 mi this is where u leave your car
This is a 5 day trip but it is a lot easier.

flemdawg1
03-21-2013, 17:59
Start at Spirnger mtn and skip the approach trail. Hike backwards to springer .9 mile and then go forward. for a 8.8 mile day to Hawk.

No need to actually Hike backwards, just hike the opposite direction. :-D

HangNhike
03-21-2013, 18:45
then to Gooch 7.3 miles
to lance creek 12.2mi
to neels gap 7.3 and if you skip the hostil there is a great camp site about a mile past the store.
Unfortunately it has to be 4 days max

Hoop
03-21-2013, 21:24
You asked about hanging - shouldn't have any problem at any site you choose (I hammock).

HangNhike
03-21-2013, 21:37
then to Gooch 7.3 miles
to lance creek 12.2mi

How's the traffic this time of year?