PDA

View Full Version : Keep bouncing around on the big four

faxanadu
03-21-2013, 02:23
Start date: 2nd week of April

#1. I picked up a Copper Spur 2 today. Part of my thinking is that for $50 extra i get a 2 person tent and i have a few friends and family that have discussed hiking with me for a week or more. However, sitting at home i'm thinking, "To hell with them and bang for my buck" i'm gonna take it back and get a Copper Spur 1. The weight difference is about 10oz.

#2. I have a 20 degree REI 650 fill down sleeping bag. I used it on a previous trip in Arizona and the temperatures got down to 15-20 degrees. It worked well. However, some of those 800 fill down quilts are looking nice and light.

#3. I was going to get a NeoAir XLite but i can't decide on whether to go with the 8oz tiny one or the largest one at 16oz. I'm 6'1 and the idea of body parts possibly falling off the side i think would be annoying. BUT, 8oz is 8oz and i suppose i could rest my feet on my pack or something.

Right now if i go full luxury on my big four it's going to put me at 8.8 lbs

You could say the lighter is better bug has bit me so i'm considering chopping that weight down to 6-7 lbs. I'm just not sure if i'm going to regret it in the long run or grow accustom to it.

Thoughts on these things and advice would definitely help.

Donde
03-21-2013, 02:31
Dude you're fine. If during and after you wanna get lighter, you will, let it come. Remember you will make it or not based on you, not 2lbs +/-.

faxanadu
03-21-2013, 02:57
I think at the least i should get the one man tent. Would save me 11oz, still spacious, and is really only a bonus for someone else that "might" join me for a bit.

Donde
03-21-2013, 03:20
That makes good sense, go with it.

bubonicplay
03-21-2013, 03:44
Do research. Take that heavy tent back and get something lightweight. For the same price get a zpacks hexamid which will weigh about 10oz total for full protection.

poopsy
03-21-2013, 06:13
Sorry. a copper spur is free-standing, double walled, with good insect protection and a floor. A zpack hexamid is not "full protection". You get what you carry. I can understand getting a copper spur and i can understanding getting a zpack. They are just not the same thing for the same environments or the same needs.

bigcranky
03-21-2013, 06:50
I would get a one-person tent, and the longer pad. A 3/4 pad is fine if it's reasonably thin, but a really thick 3/4 pad doesn't work for me at all.

For the tent I would look at the Tarptent Notch or similar.

leaftye
03-21-2013, 07:03
I'd get the lighter quilt. You'll probably end up getting it anyway. It's usually cheaper to buy once. If you get a quilt, get one with a full box that can open flat, ie, not a Golite. Actually, looking at the date, it may too late to buy a quilt, although Enlightened Equipment has reportedly greatly improved their delivery times.

You'll probably end up with a few tents. Unless you buy at REI, you'll probably go through pads occasionally too. I wouldn't stress much about what tent and pad you buy first. I'll tell you that I've never regretted having a pad that was too big. I have regretted using a pad that was too small.

I have a Hexamid, and I think it's a great spacious one person tent for long distance hiking where I only use it to sleep, but I bring a bigger tent on trips where I'll be spending more time in the tent.

TroutknuT
03-21-2013, 07:09
Go with the Neoair large for the 25 inches and cut it down. Neoair can be cut and resealed with a household iron.

10-K
03-21-2013, 07:47
There is, of course, no right or wrong answer to your question.

I would go with a 1 person tent and a Neoair short - that's what I use myself - because I want my pack to be as light as it can be and still be within my personal margin of safety.

If you're going to be hiking 10-15 miles a day it doesn't matter. If you're going to be hiking 20+ it definitely makes a difference.

Edited to add: If I was only going to be hiking 15 miles a day I'd probably bring my Lunar Duo and a super comfy air mattress, Jet Boil, a bunch of food, etc. Might as well be comfortable in camp. :)

DeerPath
03-21-2013, 08:34
Go with the Neoair large for the 25 inches and cut it down. Neoair can be cut and resealed with a household iron.

If you have any interest, I have a NeoAir Large I cut down to 48", weights 10 oz., you can have for $55.00, Shipped Priority Mail, Paypal. It held air for 2 weeks after I cut it down, and put away.

Slo-go'en
03-21-2013, 11:33
Go with the long pad. Not only will your feet stay warmer, if water leaks into the tent it will help keep the foot of your bag from sitting in a puddle of water.

faxanadu
03-21-2013, 14:27
Wow guys/gals thanks for all the responses. I returned the tent to REI and got the Spur 1. So that will shave 11oz.

I got a NeoAir XLite regular 12oz

I also picked up an Osprey Exos 46 (3000 ci) that's about 39oz. If i can't get my stuff to fit then ill return it. I think it's definitely doable though.

So my big four weight is roughly 7.625 lbs