PDA

View Full Version : Start Date/Location

Focus
06-24-2005, 17:15
Is July 1st to late in the season to start a flip flop hike starting in Harper's and going to ME? I figure three months to get to ME then another 2 from Harper's to finish in GA. When do most of the southbounders finish in GA? For time's sake, would it make more sense to start in upper PA or NJ and go north? I thought about going Southbound but logistically a flip flop would work better. Thanks for the input.

Heater
06-24-2005, 17:57
Is July 1st to late in the season to start a flip flop hike starting in Harper's and going to ME? I figure three months to get to ME then another 2 from Harper's to finish in GA. When do most of the southbounders finish in GA? For time's sake, would it make more sense to start in upper PA or NJ and go north? I thought about going Southbound but logistically a flip flop would work better. Thanks for the input.
Why no just start a southbound thru?

Frosty
06-24-2005, 21:48
Is July 1st to late in the season to start a flip flop hike starting in Harper's and going to ME? I figure three months to get to ME then another 2 from Harper's to finish in GA. When do most of the southbounders finish in GA? For time's sake, would it make more sense to start in upper PA or NJ and go north? I thought about going Southbound but logistically a flip flop would work better. Thanks for the input.I wouldn't think it would be too late. There are NOBOs in that area still. You'd have company going up with the NOBOs and some going south from HF.

If it were me, I'd start a little north of HF, maybe NJ or NY. Start off with the easy miles and not bake in PA. But then, if I were me, and I am, I'd start next spring from GA :)

wacocelt
06-24-2005, 22:41
Easy answer... No.

Peaks
06-25-2005, 07:39
I'd say that July 1 is a good time to start a flip-flop at Harpers Ferry. Many NOBO's are just coming thru HF at that time of year. And it give over 3 months to get to Katahdin.

TakeABreak
06-25-2005, 09:06
Personally, I would just do a Southbound, as noted above.

wacocelt
06-25-2005, 09:30
That's what I'm doing. It feels alot better to start out with the folks that you'll be hiking with/passing as you go IMO.