PDA

View Full Version : packing DSLR camera

DM6156
03-21-2013, 13:16
I'm hoping this is a home for this question and some of you more experienced ones can provide some input.

I plan on doing some hikes with my dslr camera (nikon 5000) with a tripod and couple lenses. Not necessarily just on the AT, but hikes to waterfalls, scenic views, areas of specific flowers/tress (many books call this type of thing out). The hikes I'm planning on doing would be anywhere from 2-3 miles to over night trips.

As of yet, I haven't attempted doing an over night hike with this camera gear (been using point and shoot) but want to for the quality of pictures in some situations. So far my hiking trips have been only a few hour trips where I don't need to pack much (ie camera, lenses, batteries, tripod, snacks, water).

I normally keep the lenses in the case they came with (soft sided not padded) and just pack them in one of the smaller front compartments of my backpack (in lid or bottom compartment). My pack is big enough to fit the tripod inside without issue (though I could strap it to the outside but haven't especially since I'm not carrying much gear).

I have a Deuter Futura Pro 42 (primary pack) and also have a kelty redcloud (I can't recall the exact model number but found it for great deal on clearance and it's much bigger than the Deuter).

I was thinking of either picking up some small padded camera bags (maybe 1 for couple lenses and one for camera) or picking up some small gladware type containers and custom cutting some foam from the fabric/craft store.

Does anyone carry such a big camera? If so, how do you pack it and extra lenses? Am I the only one?

thanks in advance

Dan

DandT40
03-21-2013, 13:29
I am no expert backpacker by any stretch, but I use this bag for any day hikes or backpacking where I might see some rain. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/783559-REG/OverBoard_OB1087BLK_Waterproof_SLR_Camera_Bag.html

I only carry a single lens and keep it on the camera the whole time. Especially with backpacking to me its just not worth it to risk swapping lenses, getting dust in there, and having to carry the extra lens. But that would be up to each photographer as far as what you have and what type of lens you want to use.

I also don't carry a tripod. I use a trekking pole with a camera mount on top for longer exposures and I use whatever mother nature gives me if I want to take a picture of myself with a group or whatever. For a day hike I may bring along a light plastic tripod I have, but for backpacking I would rather just use the trekking pole which I would carry anyways and save the weight on the tripod.

FatHead64
03-21-2013, 13:40
I am no expert backpacker by any stretch, but I use this bag for any day hikes or backpacking where I might see some rain. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/783559-REG/OverBoard_OB1087BLK_Waterproof_SLR_Camera_Bag.html

I only carry a single lens and keep it on the camera the whole time. Especially with backpacking to me its just not worth it to risk swapping lenses, getting dust in there, and having to carry the extra lens. But that would be up to each photographer as far as what you have and what type of lens you want to use.

I also don't carry a tripod. I use a trekking pole with a camera mount on top for longer exposures and I use whatever mother nature gives me if I want to take a picture of myself with a group or whatever. For a day hike I may bring along a light plastic tripod I have, but for backpacking I would rather just use the trekking pole which I would carry anyways and save the weight on the tripod.

I don't know what would work for your camera, but for our older Canon Rebel, I found a Tamron lens that is something like 20 or 30 thru maybe 280 - really big spread, replaces a set of lenses and lets you get close or far. Something else to consider, and it's only money.:D

BirdBrain
03-21-2013, 13:42
This is like any other carried item. Weight is an issue. If you choose to carry, I would suggest only 1 lens and carry it hooked to pack straps with these 2 products.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GLHDH6/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=21141106208&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14286819741109283883&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_3zuqusl7px_b
http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-System-Connector/dp/B0010HA68I
I would store it in a Ziploc when it is raining.

DandT40
03-21-2013, 14:02
I don't know what would work for your camera, but for our older Canon Rebel, I found a Tamron lens that is something like 20 or 30 thru maybe 280 - really big spread, replaces a set of lenses and lets you get close or far. Something else to consider, and it's only money.:D
Yep, exactly. On trips I use this Nikor 18-200mm - http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/2192/AF-S-DX-NIKKOR-18-200mm-f%252F3.5-5.6G-ED-VR-II.html Never needed to carry anything else. About the only thing I have ever wanted would be something a little wider just to get a fisheye affect or something like that but you have to make some trade offs because of weight when backpacking.

Wanderlust77
03-21-2013, 14:10
I use the Clik Elite Access. I find it fits great under the shoulder straps of my pack and can't even feel it there. It holds the camera close to allow easy access for those unexpected wildlife shots. http://www.clikelitestore.com/slr_chest_carriers_s/21.htm There are also a few made by Mountainsmith.

Venchka
03-21-2013, 14:21
Backing? SLR? Piece of cake.
From the Wayback Machine...
First backpacking trip to Colorado. Several days in the shadow of Mount of the Holy Cross. Present day Holy Cross Wilderness.
My only camera at the time was a Pentax 6x7 with 105mm/2.4 lens. I built myself a bamboo hiking staff and cut it to the correct length to work as a monopod for the big Pentax.
Loaded with Plus-X most of the time. I managed to save all of the negatives while I waited patiently for Epson to invent a decent film scanner.
Photos of the camera and the trip. Elevation 12,550. Not too shabby.

Wayne

Venchka
03-21-2013, 14:22

Backpacking.

What's up with editing not allowed anyway?

Wayne

Lyle
03-21-2013, 15:00
This is what I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Toploader-Zoom-45-Black/dp/B003658PH6/ref=sr_1_49?ie=UTF8&qid=1363891628&sr=8-49&keywords=lowepro+camera+bags

I carry the camera (D5100) with attached 18-105 in this bag, attached by carabiners to the pack shoulder straps. Keeps the camera very handy and protected in all but steady rain. When that happens I pack it up inside the backpack. If I carry an extra lens (35mm f/1.8 for night shots), it goes into the backpack. Easy to just undo one of the biners when you take your pack off. Room in the pocket for extra battery, SD cards and a filter or two.

Other options are out there, such as the cotton carriers, but I like the protection this affords.

The weight is a trade-off, but I too enjoy the time I spend with the camera, so want something fun to use. I just use what nature provides for a tripod. Sometimes wish I had one, but not worth the weight penalty for me.

Edit: Just looked at the suggestions Birdbrain made. Those look very promising and probably lighter than the Lowepro. No extra storage though.

Feral Bill
03-21-2013, 15:03
Backpacking.

What's up with editing not allowed anyway?

Wayne Donating members can edit

Lyle
03-21-2013, 15:07
From the Wayback Machine...
First backpacking trip to Colorado. Several days in the shadow of Mount of the Holy Cross. Present day Holy Cross Wilderness.
My only camera at the time was a Pentax 6x7 with 105mm/2.4 lens. I built myself a bamboo hiking staff and cut it to the correct length to work as a monopod for the big Pentax.
Loaded with Plus-X most of the time. I managed to save all of the negatives while I waited patiently for Epson to invent a decent film scanner.
Photos of the camera and the trip. Elevation 12,550. Not too shabby.

Wayne

Medium format for backpacking. Bet you have some fantastic photos.

My way back machine only goes back to my first backpacking camera which was a Nikon FM2 with a Nikon 35-105 lens. Inaugeration trip was my first trip to Isle Royale. Came back with a ton of slides and had a blast with it. Well worth the weight penalty since the packs were between 50-60 lbs anyway with 12 days food being carried. By the end of that trip, the pack felt like a feather, even with the camera. :-)

Hikers today are wimps!!!! Just kidding.

DM6156
03-21-2013, 15:26
Hikers today are wimps!!!! Just kidding.

I agree! You healthy skinny hikers, you can really tell a difference adding an extra pound. Big boned ones like myself, that's a normal feeling after eating a couple double quarter pounders under the golden arches :eek:

Thanks to all for the quick answers, I'll take a more indepth look at the suggested products.

My hikes will often include a variety of scenery (waterfalls & flowers, landscape) so a variety of lenses better suits my style. I've just come to accept there will be added weight.

If I were doing a 20 mile hike vs < 8 miles, I would probably have a differnet attitude after completing the first one.

Dan

Feral Bill
03-21-2013, 15:52
You might want to look at what ultra lighters are doing, so you can save weight elsewhere to devote to your photo gear. Also, you might consider an external from pack with nice big pockets. I used one for many years, and it is now being used by my son for his photo-hiking trips.

grizzlyadam
03-21-2013, 16:04
I always like it when this topic comes up, especially since backpacking and photography are two things I'm passionate about and two things i've figured out how to blend together. Here is an updated post I made about camera equipment before....

These days I shoot with either a Nikon D300 or D700. For years I primarily shot with a late 1960's model Nikon 35mm.

The history of carrying my camera goes as follows:

In october of 2000 I set off from Springer with the SLR in my backpack and a point and shoot in my pocket. I took literally no pictures with the SLR and ended up sending it home two weeks later.
In april of 2002 I set off from the Roan Highlands with the SLR attached to a side compression strap on my pack with a small carabiner. This proved to be a decent method for me but I didn't like that the camera wasn't protected.
In october of 2003 I set off from Katahdin with the best system I have found. I use a Lowepro Off Trail 1 (It has since been discontinued, but there are many suitable replacements out there). I use two small carabiners and some cord to attach the bag to my shoulder straps and thread the belt of the case around my torso (in between my pack and my body) and have no problems with it. The system doesn't bounce and the belt strap around my torso doesn't bother me.
I used this same set up in 2004 on the AT, in 2005 on the NCMST, in 2006 on the AT, in 2009 on the JMT, in 2011 on the PCT and am still using it to this day.
In 2005 i walked the John Muir Trail for the first time and carried 22 (yes, I said twenty two) pounds worth of camera equipment with me. I carried my Nikon 35mm SLR with 3 lenses (28mm, 50mm, and macro to 90mm); a Canon AE1 with a 16mm fisheye lens, and a Bronica medium format with a 75mm lens. I would carry one of the cameras in my Lowepro bag and the other two in another camera bag in the top of my pack. Heavy but well worth the weight....

CURRENTLY In the Off Trail 1; I carry my camera body, 3 lenses (24mm, 50mm, and macro-90mm) and two small silnylon stuffsacks for when it rains.

When it does rain, I also have a larger waterproof stuffsack (OR/Sea-to-Summit roll top type of bag) that I put everything in and then store in my backpack. I don't take any chances.

Although it is a little bigger and heavier (1.8 pounds) I also carry a Quantaray - QT-100 Compact Travel Tripod. I have found that this works quite well for those long exposure sunrise/sunset/nightime/moving water shots.

My current camera setup on trail weighs a total of 11 pounds. I don't think i could ever hike without an SLR of some sort. I'd go mad without that kind of control over my settings/images...

Is it worth the hassle and the effort and the weight and the time?

I think so: http://www.wacphotography.com

All but one of the images on my site were shot with either an SLR, a Medium Format, or a DSLR.

And, most of them were shot on long distance hikes.