PDA

View Full Version : Sleep System for SIDE sleeper

jcheil
03-21-2013, 16:15
Ok, I am a SIDE sleeper. If anyone else is, could you please answer the following:

Are you comfortable in a "mummy" style bag (again as a SIDE sleeper only)?

Since side sleepers tend to keep their knees bent, do you bend them inside the bag or let the whole bag bend with your legs and is one way or the other better for warmth or better/worse for the bag in general?

I must have a COMFORTABLE pillow. I remember reading something here (can't find it now) where they sold a partially inflatable pillow and the other part of it was some kind of padding and you could also stuff clothes in the bottom of it. I do NOT want to just pile up clothes under my head, I really need a THICK pillow due to some disc issues in my neck. Does anyone USE a setup liek this and how does it work out?

Kookork
03-21-2013, 16:26
As a side sleeper I have never found a sleeping system that is designed for me( I sleep on my side bending one knee toward my stomach). That is the reason I am using quilts instead of sleeping bags. For me the problem was solved by switching to quilts but whatever sail your boats.

Nutbrown
03-21-2013, 16:28
Mummy is fine, but if you have the pad inside the bag, you have to bend knees inside the bag, and it gets tight. Get a big agnes system with a rect pad'bag. Camp pillows are small. Sounds like you are looking for more comfort than the trail provides.

jcheil
03-21-2013, 16:37
Sounds like you are looking for more comfort than the trail provides.
No, I just don't want to be in pain all the time from sleeping. I spent years that way uintil I figured out that my home sleep position/pillow/etc was what was causing it. I have a rather large gear budget so I can spend a bit more to get an ultralight bag/tent/etc in exchange for the extra weight of a better pad/pillow system.

UofWHusky
03-21-2013, 16:38
I am a side sleeper also. I am comfortable sleeping in a mummy bag. I don't pay attention as to how much my legs flex inside the bag and how much the bag bends with my legs so I can't answer that question. I normally have the bag flat and I am turned inside the bag as opposed to having the bag snug around me and turning me and the bag as one piece. I use an Exped inflatable pillow, size large for some added thickness, with a small travel-size pillow case. I like my Thermarest Neo-air Trekker for the thickness as it keeps my hips off the ground when I am on my side. Sometimes my legs slide off the mattress during the night. If I wake up I readjust everything and get back to sleep. I plan on using this system on my upcoming AT thru this summer.

jcheil
03-21-2013, 16:39
but if you have the pad inside the bag

Why would you want the pad INSIDE of the bag? I thought the main purpose of the pad is to prevent moisture from coming UP into the bag from the ground in addition to comfort?

Rocket Jones
03-21-2013, 16:45
The pad insulates you from the ground so you don't lose body heat through the bottom. I believe the BA bag/pads are designed to keep you on the pad rather than you slipping off the edge as sometimes happens.

I'm a side sleeper, and I use a Neo Air Trekker. Thinner pads just didn't cut it for me. I'm still looking for a tall enough pillow that will be light enough and packable enough. I'm planning on trying the Exped inflatable large size. If I have to, I'll add an extra piece of foam and tuck it all inside a small pillowcase.

bigcranky
03-21-2013, 16:45
Pad inside bag means you don't fall off. The floor of the tent does a decent job protecting the bag.

I sleep on my side, using a Prolite 4 and a down mummy bag. Works fine, but I don't pull my legs up very far. I shove clothing in a stuff sack for a pillow, but I don't need much in that department.

yaduck9
03-21-2013, 16:46
I use a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core, inflate it so it sags just enough to anchor myself.

I use a compression sack with my clothes in it for a pillow. I can adjust the compression straps to adjust the height and how soft it is.

I only need to bend my knees a little to maintain balance, so the bag bends with me.

flemdawg1
03-21-2013, 16:47
Why would you want the pad INSIDE of the bag? I thought the main purpose of the pad is to prevent moisture from coming UP into the bag from the ground in addition to comfort?

No the purpose of the pad is to prevent losing HEAT to the ground via conduction.

I also use a quilt, and an inflatable pillow (plus clothing in stuff sack) for side sleeping.

grateful 2
03-21-2013, 16:56
Montbell UL stretch sleeping bags and a cocoon UL inflatable pillow along with a thermarest 2 1/2" inflatable pad make side sleeping comfortable on the ground.(I have had both of my shoulders replaced, so I need the comfort also.)

treesloth
03-21-2013, 16:59
Ok, I am a SIDE sleeper. If anyone else is, could you please answer the following:

Are you comfortable in a "mummy" style bag (again as a SIDE sleeper only)?

Since side sleepers tend to keep their knees bent, do you bend them inside the bag or let the whole bag bend with your legs and is one way or the other better for warmth or better/worse for the bag in general?

I must have a COMFORTABLE pillow. I remember reading something here (can't find it now) where they sold a partially inflatable pillow and the other part of it was some kind of padding and you could also stuff clothes in the bottom of it. I do NOT want to just pile up clothes under my head, I really need a THICK pillow due to some disc issues in my neck. Does anyone USE a setup liek this and how does it work out?

I'm in the 70% too, see below. As far as a pillow, I consider mine a luxury item at 9oz (and taken pack space) but my big ol' noggin needs support. Not sure if this will work for you though... I purchased a $20 Sobakawa Cloud Pillow from Walgreens, cut a hole in the side and poured out about 1/2 to 2/3 of the styrofoam beads, sewed the hole back up. Do a good job at this or you'll have a mess later. What you end up with is a flimsy-looking pillow, but on a backpacking mattress, it's quite nice. It supports my head, and I can cradle part it underneath my upper chest for support. It can be folded in half to make it thick as well. It works good for me, but of course ymmv.

I'm one of those weirdos who would spend $1000 keeping my shelter and pack light enough so that I can have some extra liberties for what I can carry bedding-wise. That includes my 25" wide Neoair. :)

As a side sleeper I have never found a sleeping system that is designed for me( I sleep on my side bending one knee toward my stomach). That is the reason I am using quilts instead of sleeping bags. For me the problem was solved by switching to quilts but whatever sail your boats.

A quilt definitely gave me some freedom with side sleeping too. The downside to that is with all the thrashing I tend to do during the course of the night, a cold evening serves well to constantly sap the warm air out as I do so. I'm looking into the Nemo Spoon-Shaped bags (www.nemoequipment.com), seems like some neat innovation there. Hope this helps some.

Kookork
03-21-2013, 17:14
A quilt definitely gave me some freedom with side sleeping too. The downside to that is with all the thrashing I tend to do during the course of the night, a cold evening serves well to constantly sap the warm air out as I do so. I'm looking into the Nemo Spoon-Shaped bags (www.nemoequipment.com (http://www.nemoequipment.com)), seems like some neat innovation there. Hope this helps some.[/QUOTE]

I have been interested in Nemo spoon shaped bag also but I have just one serious problem with that design. If you look at them carefully it seems they are suitable for people who bend both of their knees while sleeping on their back not people who bend one knee toward their stomach while side sleeping or pure side sleepers.

Odd Man Out
03-21-2013, 17:17
...Sounds like you are looking for more comfort than the trail provides...

The trail doesn't provide comfort. You provide your own comfort and it is possible.

Here is another thought. You need the pillow to provide two things - elevation to that your neck is at a comfortable angle and also cushioning so that your head rests on something soft (I suppose the latter also provides insulation too). Side sleepers don't necessarily need more cushioning than back sleepers. But they do need more elevation. The problem is that a thick pillow (to provide that elevation) is also heavy. However, you don't necessarily need such thickness to provide the cushioning you need. So try using a rock or log to help elevate your head and then use a thin pillow on top of that for padding. I've had luck with this. I've also used my backpack, or anything to get the elevation I need. Then my clothes bag on top of that for padding and it works. This is why I carry my fleece all season. If I'm going to carry a pillow anyway, I might as well carry something that will keep me warm around camp, if necessary.

Mr. Bumpy
03-21-2013, 17:53
Exped mat and pillow for the side sleeper in you.

treesloth
03-21-2013, 18:05
I have been interested in Nemo spoon shaped bag also but I have just one serious problem with that design. If you look at them carefully it seems they are suitable for people who bend both of their knees while sleeping on their back not people who bend one knee toward their stomach while side sleeping or pure side sleepers.

I have wondered the exact same thing, to tell the truth. One way or another, I'd like to somehow 'try one on' before taking the plunge and buying.

Nooga
03-21-2013, 18:05
Last year for my thru hike, I used a Zpacks bottom zip bag which is essentially a quilt with a zipper. Zpacks also offers a light weight down hood to be used in conjunction with the quilt. The good thing is that the hood is separate from the quilt, so went for left side to right side, the hood would move independently from the quilt. I also used an exped inflatable pillow which was great!. Definitely worth the extra weight to me. I used a Neoair ultra light pad. I purchased a large size, which is 25" wide. I cut the length from 72" down to approx. 55" and resealed it with an iron as I did not need the full length. This provided a pad from my head to my knees. I used a small closed cell pad for my feet (also used as a sit pad). I'm a light sleeper and slept better with this setup than I did in motels.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-21-2013, 18:20
Mummy Bags....hate 'em hate 'em hate 'em. The problem is I'm a chubby side-sleeper, and the 58" girth I'm allowed at the shoulders is something of a joke.

I'm also ridiculously claustrophobic, so the bag has to stay unzipped. Rolling over is fun and almost always results in uncovering. Oh well, next time I'll spend the extra $200 and get the rectangular bag from LLBean (despite the weight)

Blissful
03-21-2013, 18:43
I do great with my neo air mattress and montbell super stretch that stretches with you. Though now it's called a spiral bag.

slow mind
03-21-2013, 19:52
Recently picked up a Marmmot Sawtooth long X-tra wide. extra width made a Huge difference in comfort as a side sleeper.

Del Q
03-21-2013, 21:11
I concur with Blissful

Neo Air and Mont bell...............also, a bit of "hooch" Scotch, Bourbon, etc does not hurt.

After a full day of hiking, going until dark, eat, drink, hydrate...........last Section hike I slept GREAT. Some 10 hour nights.

Nothing much to do after sunset so I crash and wake up early.

Kookork
03-22-2013, 01:13
I have wondered the exact same thing, to tell the truth. One way or another, I'd like to somehow 'try one on' before taking the plunge and buying.
please give me your feedback if you tried it.

bfayer
03-22-2013, 08:22
Mummy Bags....hate 'em hate 'em hate 'em. The problem is I'm a chubby side-sleeper, and the 58" girth I'm allowed at the shoulders is something of a joke.

I'm also ridiculously claustrophobic, so the bag has to stay unzipped. Rolling over is fun and almost always results in uncovering. Oh well, next time I'll spend the extra $200 and get the rectangular bag from LLBean (despite the weight)

Teacher,

You really need to try out a Monbell before you go with the heavy LLBean bag.

I know their marketing sounds like snake oil, but they really work. I am very claustrophobic also, and I roll around like a rotisserie chicken, and the montbell design really works.

If you get one from a place like backcountry.com you can try it out at the house and if it does not workout you can just send it back.

Wise Old Owl
03-22-2013, 09:00

Big Agnes is down on top and pad slipped underneath with no down.. they describe it as this:

We offer two types of Sleeping Bags – Big Agnes System bags and Traditional Mummy bags. Big Agnes System bags have been available for over a decade, utilizing an integrated pad sleeve to keep you comfortable and warm all night without rolling off your pad. Big Agnes System bags work with our pads or any existing pad you already have, depending upon size and shape. Additionally, we make Traditional Mummy bags without the integrated pad sleeve. These are a more technical and lightweight line of bags that incorporate the same innovative construction and insulation technology we’ve evolved over the years.

jcheil
03-22-2013, 11:07
...people who bend one knee toward their stomach while side sleeping or pure side sleepers.

I do this EXACTLY, which is why I am bit concerned about the "mummy" bag, but I guess I'll just have to make due.

treesloth
03-22-2013, 11:21
please give me your feedback if you tried it.

I just called my local outfitter, it's apparently the ONLY place in Fla that carries the Spoon Shaped bags... and they just got them in (and they're right near me, luckily). I hope to try one in-store this w/e, I'll let you know for sure.

grateful 2
03-22-2013, 11:44
Teacher,

I know their marketing sounds like snake oil, but they really work. I am very claustrophobic also, and I roll around like a rotisserie chicken, and the montbell design really works.

If you get one from a place like backcountry.com you can try it out at the house and if it does not workout you can just send it back.
"roll around like a rotisserie chicken" - haha. That's me EXACTLY. And the Montbell is perfect for me.

Kookork
03-22-2013, 12:49
Teacher,

My Brother carries and uses his Spiral Montbel every where he travels, hotel or close family home where there are plenty of other options for him to choose from.

lazy river road
03-22-2013, 12:52
Have you considered sleeping in a hammock and using a top quilt and underquilt. I sleep all the time on my side in my hammock nice and comfortably.

Kookork
03-22-2013, 12:57
I was absent from WB for a while but in my return I see the new number for hammock to be suggested is quite impressively high.!!!

Malto
03-22-2013, 13:00
I have learned to be a very comfortable side sleeper.
-Quilt
-neoair
-food bag, pack, shoes and extra clothes in some combination to make a nice high pillow. Sometimes I even use a rock to lift my "pillow" up.

JohnG10
03-23-2013, 14:38
I use a marmot mummy bag, big agnes 2.5 inflatable pad, and a thermarest pillow. I normally sleep with 1 leg making a 90 degree angle straight forward from the waist (and 90 degree angle at the knee), and the other straight down. However, when its cold, I automatically sleep with both feet near the end of the bag, and about 1 foot apart. When its not cold, I unzip the mummy bag and use it like a quilt, so the elbow and knee that stock out forward are no problem. When it's cold, I want the close fitting mummy for the extra warmth. I tried a roomier mummy, and it's not nearly as warm.

I have a bad hip, and the super thick pad allows me to take all the weight off it when sleeping in a shelter or on hard packed tent pads. When sleeping on grass, or in the forest, a 1.5” thermarest is cushy enough - and much easier to deal with. Inflating by mouth gets old really really really fast.

My Thermarest pillow is full of foam bits, and is tall and supportive. I don't sleep nearly as well on a lumpy clothes bag (which also gets much less cushy after a few hours of laying your head on it). I also couldn't keep my head on the shoes or pack that I used to jack up a thin pillow. (I roll from side to side several times a night and the pillow is 16” wide). It's 9-12 oz I just have to carry...

jcheil
03-23-2013, 15:56
I use a marmot mummy bag, big agnes 2.5 inflatable pad, and a thermarest pillow. I normally sleep with 1 leg making a 90 degree angle straight forward from the waist (and 90 degree angle at the knee), and the other straight down. However, when its cold, I automatically sleep with both feet near the end of the bag, and about 1 foot apart. When its not cold, I unzip the mummy bag and use it like a quilt, so the elbow and knee that stock out forward are no problem. When it's cold, I want the close fitting mummy for the extra warmth. I tried a roomier mummy, and it's not nearly as warm.

I have a bad hip, and the super thick pad allows me to take all the weight off it when sleeping in a shelter or on hard packed tent pads. When sleeping on grass, or in the forest, a 1.5” thermarest is cushy enough - and much easier to deal with. Inflating by mouth gets old really really really fast.

My Thermarest pillow is full of foam bits, and is tall and supportive. I don't sleep nearly as well on a lumpy clothes bag (which also gets much less cushy after a few hours of laying your head on it). I also couldn't keep my head on the shoes or pack that I used to jack up a thin pillow. (I roll from side to side several times a night and the pillow is 16” wide). It's 9-12 oz I just have to carry...

This is so good to hear because it sounds exactly like me. I will go with the 2.5 for sure and the pillow and it sounds like I'll be able to have some movement in the mummy style bags. I was worried that they were kinda like body huggers - but it sounds like they have some room. And I will go with the LONG version anyways sinze I am right at the cut-off length-wise and they seem to be a tad wider.

Thanks so much everyone!

Deadeye
03-24-2013, 01:48
Please... give a hammock a try.

Grits
03-24-2013, 11:55
lots of good info an systems. Being a side sleeper it did not matter which pad I used they were too narrow and the hip shoulder pressure points were always uncomfortable. switching to a hammock solved these issues for me.

BigRing
03-25-2013, 19:09
....I am a side sleeper and also need a high comfortable pillow. I have an entire storage container of different types of pillows, but have finally settled on a homemade pillow that weighs in at 6.4 ozs....and only cost a few dollars. I use two pair of water wings, cut them at the seam to lay flat. They fit perfectly inside a pillow case. I have slept soooooooo much more comfortably with this pillow. if you want to get fancy, buy a Walmart XXXL wicking tee and sew it the size of a pillow case.

jcheil
03-25-2013, 19:49
....I am a side sleeper and also need a high comfortable pillow. I have an entire storage container of different types of pillows, but have finally settled on a homemade pillow that weighs in at 6.4 ozs....and only cost a few dollars. I use two pair of water wings, cut them at the seam to lay flat. They fit perfectly inside a pillow case. I have slept soooooooo much more comfortably with this pillow. if you want to get fancy, buy a Walmart XXXL wicking tee and sew it the size of a pillow case.

Deadeye, I will tell you what, if I can convince someone to let me take a nap in on on the hike I will, but I gotta tell you, I just don't think I am going to like it, especially not having the ability to be "inside" when the skeeters get bad.

And I ordered the Thermarest Down Oillow and a NeoAir pillow which can be put together (neo inside the down pillow) to give me the height, and comfort that I want (i hope). We'll see how it works out. Total weight will be 5.95oz.

joshuasdad
03-25-2013, 20:45
Neo-air + quilt or thermorest backless bag.

Actually, though, generally sleep off trail, as mattresses are much more comfy!

fredmugs
03-26-2013, 09:10
Big Agnes is down on top and pad slipped underneath with no down.. they describe it as this:

We offer two types of Sleeping Bags – Big Agnes System bags and Traditional Mummy bags. Big Agnes System bags have been available for over a decade, utilizing an integrated pad sleeve to keep you comfortable and warm all night without rolling off your pad. Big Agnes System bags work with our pads or any existing pad you already have, depending upon size and shape. Additionally, we make Traditional Mummy bags without the integrated pad sleeve. These are a more technical and lightweight line of bags that incorporate the same innovative construction and insulation technology we’ve evolved over the years.

I have a BA System bag. It's really nice to place the mattress inside the sleeve. My problem is the bag itself is too big and heavy for most trips so I bring the mattress and use it with my Sea to Summit bag. I alternate between back and side but laying on my side is a hip killer so I have an inflatable pillow that I can wedge against my hip for some extra comfort. Yes - it's all about warmth and comfort for me and I'll gladly hump the extra weight.

The trick (for me) is to get the air mattress not to hard and not too soft.

Swordpen
03-26-2013, 12:35
I am a side sleeper too with hip arthritis, & low back arthritis.
I've successfully used a BA synthetic mummy in long with a rectangular foot bottom, shoved a yellow Neoair wide & long into the sleeve. This worked well.

But, I wanted to lighten this system & also carry a Thermorest z-lite long to kneel on (or sometimes my knee will swell when kneeling on hard ground).

So I bought a Long Montbell Super Spiral down bag 15 degree in long. This alone, will let you lay sideways & the stretch lets your knee bend in the bag. Its a very very nice bag.

What I am trying right now, is I put an Klymit inertia x-frame inside the Montbell, & have the z-lite triple folded under my low back & hips (this makes it about 2.5-3 inches thick under my hips yeah!). The Klymit keeps my feet off the ground. I also use an Exped large inflatable pillow the ultralight. I put my backpack under my neck & shoulders to raise up a little bit & the pillow goes on top of that.

For comparison purpose:

I am 5"9" 233#.