PDA

View Full Version : Konnarock Crew

jonesat11
06-25-2005, 08:16
I recently volunteered for a week with the Konnarock Crew and plan on returning later this fall. It was a great experience to give back a little to the trail that has given so much to us. Everyone should try it if at all possible. I'm curious, how many readers have done this? Please respond first with a
YES (have volunteered for the Konnarock Crew),
NO (have never volunteered for any type of trail work), or OTHER (have volunteered for trail work but not with the Konnarock Crew).
Then feel free to share your comments.

BMRisko
06-28-2005, 09:46
I will be working the last Konnarock crew in August. This will be my first time and I have heard its a great experience.

bobgessner57
06-28-2005, 12:05
I have helped remove fallen trees, general trail maintenance, and with shelter construction. It is satisfying to have an opportunity to give back to the trail community. The work days are different from my hiking days but I have learned a lot and gained more appreciation for all the folks that keep the trail open. My hiking time tends to be introspective, service time is not so self centered.

Special thanks to all the people who regularly maintain or perform other trail service.

Bridget
08-23-2005, 13:58
Hey,

I spent two summers recently on AT trail crews, working with Konnarock, Rocky Top and Mid-Atlantic, and had a fantastic time on each one, each being totally different in terms of environment but similar in the fantasticness (yeah I know it's not a word..) of the people I have met and the scenery I've encountered. I plan to return next summer for more of the same, and recommend trail crew to everyone!

TrailSweeper
08-23-2005, 14:06
Yes, I have been on the first week Konnarock crew, (up until this year, I had to cancel) since 1997. It is a very rewarding experience.

Mountain Dew
08-24-2005, 01:58
I'm actually wearing my Konnarock Crew Trail shirt right now. I worked on the week 10 crew this year just south of Moreland Gap shelter and 4 miles south of Kincora. KC and Ellen were the crew leaders. It was a great experience. The Eastman trail club was also there as we were maintaining a piece of their section with them. :)

Pennsylvania Rose
02-08-2006, 21:30
YES! And I've been wondering about others, too, which is why I went looking through the polls.

I volunteered at Konnarock one year and for the Vermont Long Trail Patrol another. I'd do it again in a minute if I could get away for a week without my family. Maybe this year???

Disney
02-08-2006, 22:36
Eastman Tennessee Club, with Bob from Kincora. It was a good experience. I got the patch, but wasn't able to do Damascus hardcore. I'm going to do my best to get it done this year.

Kerosene
02-09-2006, 17:20
Nope, not yet, but I hope to volunteer for an "old geezer" crew the year after I finish the AT (circa 2014).

handlebar
02-09-2006, 22:27
Yes, I volunteered----and I just sent my application for the first week of Konarock this May during my thru hike.

I volunteered on Konarock crew two weeks last July. Had such a great time I came back in October for a week on Mid-Atlantic and a week on Rocky Top. The Rocky Top was my shakedown/checkout the cold weather gear trip.

My daughter had volunteered in 95 and encouraged me to. Since I was retired I had the time. This was a great opportunity to "practice" and get to know part of the trail. It'll give you a new appreciation for all the work that the crews and the trail clubs put into maintaining the trail. You meet great folks of all ages and nationalities---we had an Israeli and a Spaniard on Rocky Top. :jump

scothiker
02-10-2006, 11:09
I've done trail maintenance with the GATC, and would love to do Konnarock but have limited time due to job, family, etc. I suppose you have to commit to the entire week? If anyone knows any way to do less than a week, please respond.

handlebar
02-10-2006, 20:08
I've done trail maintenance with the GATC, and would love to do Konnarock but have limited time due to job, family, etc. I suppose you have to commit to the entire week? If anyone knows any way to do less than a week, please respond.

Yep, They want you for the whole week. It runs from Wed evening to the following Tue, I think.

Smooth
02-10-2006, 22:15
I maintain over 12 miles of trail. Not the AT, but the TT, which is 250+ miles long and connects to the AT at both ends.

Spiritual Pillgrim
06-25-2006, 14:14
Yes, worked w/ the crew in '03 and '04. will probably do it again

emerald
06-25-2006, 17:17
I'm trying to sort out where and how I can contribute a week in August.

I am glad to have been able to give something back to the A.T. Thru-hiking it in 1980 was a great experience.

I agree with the sentiments of the thread starter. Everyone who can, should.

Mountain Man
06-25-2006, 21:24

When they come back to Georgia you can work with them through the GATC ever how many days you want. But it takes 5 days of work to get the T shirt.:D

Mountain Man
06-25-2006, 21:35
Worked with them 01, 03,04. Always enjoy working with them.