PDA

View Full Version : SOBO Mt. Katahdin to Pinkham Notch

Papa D
03-21-2013, 20:46
Some of you may know that I'm re-hiking the trail in sections. Early in the Summer, I plan to go to BSP and hike south to Pinkham Notch (where I left off last summer). This will complete the northern part of the trail for me (for a second time) from Pawling NY north. I'm planning on leaving around May 29th (which I know very well is early and will likely involve black fly season) and hike to Pinkham Notch in about 17 or 18 days. I also know that this is quite a brisk pace for most people. Last summer, I hiked from VT4 to Pinkham Notch which including most of the Whites in 12.5 days including a full zero day which was an average of about 15 miles per day - - this trip will be just a touch faster pace averaging about 18 mpd which is a good pace for me. I'll probably do quite a few 22 and 24 mile days and try to earn a nero or two as well. If it takes 19 days, that's ok too. Anyway, I'll probably be a touch ahead of most SOBOS who will start between 2 weeks and a month after me but if there are any early SOBOS (who think they would like a faster sort of pace and want to start with me or someone else who would like to do a 320 mile section hike with me, please let me know. I'm easy to get along with unless you try to convert me to your religion or talk incessantly all day long. I like to get up early and hike pretty hard. "10 by 10" is great but I'm ok with "12 by 12" too. I'm not averse to a little light, non loud social time at night either as long as the next day still starts at 5 am no matter how you feel. I know that I will run into folks no doubt but confabulation of logistics with someone might be fun. Anyone out there interested? All ages, genders, etc. are fine.

SawnieRobertson
03-21-2013, 20:55
I am certainly not a candidate, but I am wondering about those black flies that you mentioned. Does permethrin work against them?

Papa D
03-21-2013, 21:32
I am certainly not a candidate, but I am wondering about those black flies that you mentioned. Does permethrin work against them?

Black Fly season is interesting - when I went SOBO long ago, they were pretty bad - they were big biting flies that bothered you all day long - we picked up some netting that helped - by the time we got to Andover they were gone. Black Fly season also changes depending on a particular year's temperature, humidity, rainfall, etc. To compound the confusion, there are also deer flies and maybe one other sort of pesky fly up there. I end to ended the Long Trail in July of 2010 and remember a few fly problems especially on Stratton Mtn. I ran into a ranger there who explained the whole fly thing to me (as if I were a no-nothing but that was ok) - seems that those Vermont flies were deer flies which are smaller than black flies - they are less painful but my recollection is that they move faster and are harder to squish. It's my hope that this is either an "early" or "light" fly season. In the south, I use some environmentally friendly stuff to ward off mosquitos (Green-Ban which is no longer made but I have a bunch). It's probably not strong enough for the real black flies so I'll probably carry some deet product and a citronella (natural product) along with some netting (pretty light). My one person tent is netted so at least I'll sleep fly-free. Good question . . . .

Prime Time
03-21-2013, 21:36
The only thing that works against black flies is to walk in excess of 2 mph and not stop. May in Maine? Wow, that will be memorable!

Slo-go'en
03-21-2013, 21:42

Nope, repelents don't do much good, they just overwelm you with shear numbers.

Slo-go'en
03-21-2013, 21:53
Black flies are the little nat like things which produce a heck of a welt for something that tiny and insignificant piece of protoplasim. The Deer Flies are much bigger and have wings which look like a fighter jet. They take a chunck of fleash out of you when they bite. Thankfully the deer flies are less abundant then the black flies, which swarm in large numbers.

If your not overly allergic to the black fly bite, you build up an immumity in a few days to a week and then thier just annoying. Personally as a local, I try not to spend much time in the woods until July. And this could be an epic year for black flies in June.

Papa D
03-21-2013, 21:58
Black flies are the little nat like things which produce a heck of a welt for something that tiny and insignificant piece of protoplasim. The Deer Flies are much bigger and have wings which look like a fighter jet. They take a chunck of fleash out of you when they bite. Thankfully the deer flies are less abundant then the black flies, which swarm in large numbers.

If your not overly allergic to the black fly bite, you build up an immumity in a few days to a week and then thier just annoying. Personally as a local, I try not to spend much time in the woods until July. And this could be an epic year for black flies in June.

oh - I may have my flies backwards

Papa D
03-21-2013, 21:59
The only thing that works against black flies is to walk in excess of 2 mph and not stop. May in Maine? Wow, that will be memorable!

well, starting on May 28, it will mostly be in June which will be a slight improvement - at least that's the tentative plan

MuddyWaters
03-21-2013, 22:24
Deer flies will chase you ,a long ways. I have had them follow me more than 1/2 mile before , dive bombing my head the whole time. I ran more than 1/4 mile from little suckers, doesnt do any good. When you finally slow down, they are still with you . Persistant little ba$tard$

They have even followed me back to my truck, and when I got inside, they landed on the outside, waiting. Im not kidding when I say they followed the truck down a dirt road a ways too.

Papa D
03-21-2013, 22:30
I'm going to watch the weather and the fly predictions over the next couple of months before this is all set in stone but I'm a stubborn SOB - - a couple of years ago I wanted to do CT in March and against everyone's suggestion I did it - - I post-holed about 2/3 of it in deep snow, crossed Sages Ravine basically naked at 5:00 am at 20 degrees with light snow and high water and practically had to swim the river walk along the Housatonic River but it was really memorable and fun. I do things that lots of people consider insane for fun.

CrumbSnatcher
03-21-2013, 23:21
Deer flies will chase you ,a long ways. I have had them follow me more than 1/2 mile before , dive bombing my head the whole time. I ran more than 1/4 mile from little suckers, doesnt do any good. When you finally slow down, they are still with you . Persistant little ba$tard$

They have even followed me back to my truck, and when I got inside, they landed on the outside, waiting. Im not kidding when I say they followed the truck down a dirt road a ways too. deerfly chased me for 2 miles or more. he got a few bites in i got a few good swats! it was toe to toe or wing action hardcore ****! i was hiking fast he was keeping chase, sometimes i would stop real quick & take a step back and swat at him, i finally ran the last bit to the road, i made it to the post office just in the nick of time on saturday

Driver8
03-22-2013, 05:24
I might meet up with your and/or shuttle you, PapaD, on the south end of your hike. Could present good excuse for me to get some Maine in. :D

nitewalker
03-22-2013, 06:27

They have even followed me back to my truck, and when I got inside, they landed on the outside, waiting. Im not kidding when I say they followed the truck down a dirt road a ways too.

i do not doubt this for a second. i have had the same type of run in with those little stalkers...

k2basecamp
03-22-2013, 06:28
Dryer anti static sheets pinned to upper shirt on back will ward off deer flies.

fredmugs
03-22-2013, 07:57
With all the snow storms I've seen in that area this year will you even be able to go up Katahdin before June?

imscotty
03-22-2013, 08:06
The secret with deer flies is to realize they like to go for the highest point. When the deer flies are about I walk with one hand raised up over my head. That way they buzz around my hand instead of gnawing on the bald spot on the back of my head.

So far the only thing that I've found to stop black flies is a head net.

Snowleopard
03-22-2013, 11:06
Permethrin seems to keep black flies and mosquitoes from biting through thin nylon; I'm only sure of this when the black flies are moderate, not when they're bad. Use it on clothes not on your skin. Use DEET on exposed skin, but when they're bad don't expose ANY skin. Black flies sometimes seem not to like enclosed spaces -- I use a permethrin treated caped hat and when there's only a few of them they don't attack my face.

I try to avoid situations where the black flies are bad. I hate black flies. I hate head nets, but I hate Peter Vacco's head nets less than others: http://www.petersheadnets.com/petersheadnets.com.html I'd consider thin permethrin treated gloves when the black flies are bad.

Slo-go'en, why do you say "this could be an epic year for black flies in June."? Is this just because it will be very wet from all the snow? I hope not. Last summer we had black flies here (N. Central Mass) all summer, but, of course, that was nothing compared to the black flies up north.

Slo-go'en
03-22-2013, 13:14
Slo-go'en, why do you say "this could be an epic year for black flies in June."? Is this just because it will be very wet from all the snow? I hope not. Last summer we had black flies here (N. Central Mass) all summer, but, of course, that was nothing compared to the black flies up north.

Yep, with the amount of snow and the lingering cold, it looks like it will take a while for it to all melt and keep all the little streams flowing well into June. Between the mud and Black Flies, I pitty anyone crazy enough to spend any significant time in the woods around here in late May and early June.

Snowleopard
03-22-2013, 13:34
Several of the last storms in southern New England have been elevation dependent. So, here at 1300' in Central Mass we have a lot of snow. I imagine the higher elevations in the Berkshires have more. I expect that we'll have a couple more weeks of snow in the woods here and it'll last longer in the Berkshires. So, I guess that means on the AT in Mass we'll have a couple more weeks of snow/ice, followed by wet and mud, followed by lots of bugs.

On another thread I see Slo-go'en, who lives in the White Mts., is hiking down south this spring.

Slo-go'en
03-22-2013, 16:00
On another thread I see Slo-go'en, who lives in the White Mts., is hiking down south this spring.

You betcha! I head south to hike during NH mud season. Which reminds me, I need to get out and do some more snowshoeing.

I'll be back in June, but I'll have my spring hiking fever out of the way so can stay out of woods here for most of the summer until it gets to be prime time in the fall.

peakbagger
03-22-2013, 16:19
To comment on the original post, realize that you may be hanging out in Milliocket for a few weeks if you want to start on top of Katahdin, usually the park is closed until the end of the first week of June.

With regards to Black flies, just remeber they are trout food. I personally use the 3-M stuff, lasts longer because it doesnt soak into the skin and isnt as agressive on synthetics.

Migrating Bird
03-22-2013, 18:51
My experience biting flies here in the Berkshires is, Black Flies are only active from later in the morning to late afternoon warmer days only, not on rainy days which should be plentiful in June. Black flies are followed by no see ums followed by skeeters and deer flies and horse flies. When Mtn Biking deer flies will keep up with you until 7 mph but will draft a higher speeds - can't out run them.

I also will hike some or all of New England this year, either SOBO from Kathadin or Franconia Notch depending on timing/work. I do like to hike and fish Maine in June, but will hike 12-15 miles per day.

Papa D have a great hike, don't let the bugs bother you.

M. Bird

Papa D
04-21-2013, 19:47
Hey everyone - I'm just looking for a trail condition update -- still contemplating early June - would like to do Kathadin South to Pinkham but since I'm sort of limited to those 3-weeks, I'd love to know how trail conditions are looking now - - I'm ok with less than perfect and have slogged through plenty of slush, mud, and snow but if it is truly going to be horrible, I have a few other 3 week sections in mind in the mid-Atlantic area.

Coosa
04-21-2013, 22:30
Bye Bye Black Fly (http://www.rangeroutfitters.com/bye_bye_blackfly.htm)

Has anyone used this product, sold at Gander Mountain, for Black Flies?

Coosa